Banners

Banners

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

I have a few specific comments I’d like to make concerning the introduction of the Banners with the Heart of Thorns release.

Earlier this week I finally got to see the Dragon Banner and Turtle Banner in use; I was on the receiving end of the banners.

The group we were up against was about the same size as our own. Approximately 20-25 players in each group. After a few quick wipes everyone in our squad was trying to figure out what was going on. The next time we found the same group someone in our squad spotted a player with a break bar and alerted everyone to it. It was a player carrying a Dragon Banner. I was amazed at the damage that one person was wielding. I was also not surprised to see that one person with the banner being (sorry but I have to put a little emotion into the post here) “nut-hugged” by a thief in order to stealth the banner carrier and help keep them alive. Excellent tactic. I’m not being sarcastic; that’s a really good duo.

We found the same group again and someone spotted a player with a break bar and a Turtle Banner. We focused that player, killed them, and the opposing group wouldn’t engage us again until another player brought another Turtle Banner.

After this first hand (receiving end) experience with a couple of the Banners introduced with the Heart of Thorns release I’m left “scratching my head” and wondering the following:

Why?

Yes, it’s ok to simply ask … why, isnt it?… why introduce/include something like this? I don’t understand… so I’m simply asking … why? Is it just something that is supposed to be fun to have for use? Are there specific reasons it was introduced? What was the process that brought these Banners to the game? Why is there a break bar for the wielder of the Banner? Will these Banners be subjected to “iterations” the way skills will be? Were these Banners part of some big “game changer” push/process to shake up how the game is played? I hate speculating. I love understanding.

I just need an explanation (hopefully from a Dev that actually worked through the process of bringing these Banners to the game) of how they envisioned these Banners being used in actual game play. I can assure you after trying to play against these Banners, it isn’t fun. It was such a distinct disadvantage not having any of the Banners that it was just awful. Not fun.

holleratchalater,

Fellfoot.8156

Edit: grammar
Edit2: more grammar, and go ahead and lock or delete this, please.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

(edited by Fellfoot.8156)

Banners

Fellfoot.8156

I am linking a thread in the WvW forum to this post because it is a discussion of exactly what motivated me to post this.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Tactivators-War-Room-Banners-Broken/first#post5913734

Banners

Fellfoot.8156

You’ve got, what, 9 days to have the nerf nuke ready for these Banners. Perhaps just remove this refuse altogether with the update on the 26th. Otherwise, the kitten storm will most likely grow over this issue. More folks will get fed up and leave.

Edit: Think I’m just being kitten about folks leaving? How’s that server population looking post HoT?

(edited by Fellfoot.8156)