Beacon of Magic Turned Whackin' Stick

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

Sorry if someone has mentioned this before but I sincerely hope they don’t turn staves into melee weapons. 90% of the staves in the game would not lend themselves well to physical combat… a character would look ridiculous trying to use “The Crossing” to whack someone over the head. Maybe that isn’t a staff ryloc is using in the hype video maybe it’s a conjured weapon of sorts. I would say spear but gw2 has already shot down the on land water weapon idea (A shame really).

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

How about the absurd size of the greatswords? I doubt anyone could swing those around like they do in game. There’s a lot of ridiculous looking weapons in the game, so i dont understand your complaint.

Also a staff can be a martial weapon, i dont see anything wrong with it and I think it would probably be cool and different from other games.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ley_Line_Greatsword_Skin

Skins that make no sense for a melee weapon already exist.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

What, just because they don’t look like they should be instantly fatal like other melee weapons? I’m totally fine with whacking a few grawl and mordrem in the face with any of the staff skins in the game.

I should be writing.

Posted by: feight.2704

feight.2704

I agree with OP.
most of the staff skins already in game will translate very poorly to hand to melee combat. Many Staff heads are Very elaborate and Fragile looking and being objective would force us to admit that there is an effect in immersion, at least for some reasonable people.
LAND SPEARS would<ve been a much more reasonable choice but …yea.
the transition from martial weapon to magical ones is easier to accomplish than th other way around. antique spire isnt designed to hit melee the same way pistol isnt designed to be a melee one.

Lazaar.9123

I agree with OP.
most of the staff skins already in game will translate very poorly to hand to melee combat. Many Staff heads are Very elaborate and Fragile looking and being objective would force us to admit that there is an effect in immersion, at least for some reasonable people.
LAND SPEARS would<ve been a much more reasonable choice but …yea.
the transition from martial weapon to magical ones is easier to accomplish than th other way around. antique spire isnt designed to hit melee the same way pistol isnt designed to be a melee one.

There’s also many greatswords that make no sense as a melee weapon, as well as daggers, and swords. How’s it really any different than hitting someone with the paddle known as Eternity/Twilight/Sunrise? Or with the paddle Bolt? Or the dagger incinerator that is pretty much just a small blowtorch?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

well if the staff are imbued with magic they wont break from some wacking there is no problem then

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Sorry if someone has mentioned this before but I sincerely hope they don’t turn staves into melee weapons. 90% of the staves in the game would not lend themselves well to physical combat… a character would look ridiculous trying to use “The Crossing” to whack someone over the head. Maybe that isn’t a staff ryloc is using in the hype video maybe it’s a conjured weapon of sorts. I would say spear but gw2 has already shot down the on land water weapon idea (A shame really).

Funny you should mention that, as this is precisely what I plan to do with my Revenant.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: feight.2704

feight.2704

well if the staff are imbued with magic they wont break from some wacking there is no problem then

then ranger should all use pistols and maces.
staff and sword for engineer too
rifle for guardian…
some weapons should stay closer to their nature, that what im saying. or hoping.

A OK.8276

This is all assuming the staff is going to be used by the Reverent as a melee weapon. Other than that there are people hoping to turn their warrior into a Monk. As for the swords, at least you are using an edged weapon as an edged weapon. I really like the idea of a melee staff type weapon I just think the skins for Spears make way more sense. Plus, what a great gold sink with people buying up Spears for the skins. Just my opinion.

Lazaar.9123

rifle for guardian…
some weapons should stay closer to their nature, that what im saying. or hoping.

Well actually, ArenaNet stated that eventually they wanted every profession to be able to use every weapon.

A OK.8276

rifle for guardian…

Well actually, ArenaNet stated that eventually they wanted every profession to be able to use every weapon.

Longbow engi will be the new meta in 2023

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Longbow engi would be like Green Arrow/Hawkeye. ALL of the trick arrows!

Going back to the OP: The more I look at it, the more I think Rytlock’s “staff” is a hammer skin with a realistically-sized mace head instead of those rectangular blocks that hammers have traditionally had. There’s a distinct mace-like head on it, and the animations he uses match existing charr hammer animations.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.