Beta: Revenant

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

Hello there,
I played Revenant on the Beta and I think it is a really fun class to play. Seams pretty balanced to me, although I have no comparison on how hard or easy were the mobs.

I just want to discuss the weapon skills for a bit, cause well either I suck on Hammer or Mace / Axe is too op. I just feel that Hammer is kinda slow and skills are a bit hard to land, the damage is low compared to the Mace / Axe which I found very fast and at the same time very strong. Auto attacks give torment for 4 secs (and poison later) and in combination with the rest of the skills I reached 15 stacks of torment on a simple mob pretty fast.
The fire field has a very small recharge covering a pretty big area and with the skill no3 you can stack might easily. Mace / Axe gives so many cool combos to bring enemies close and deal some fast damage. I loved the mobility with the leap and the teleport, they seams extremely fun for PvP. On the other hand I think torment should be nerfed a bit, it is an extremely strong condition to be that easy to stack.

So ye, I enjoyed the Mace / Axe skills more than the Hammer’s. Revenant is in general very fun to play but I believe the Torment application and the Fire Field recharge should get some small nerfs.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

My thoughts on the current form of the Revenant:

-I’m reserving full judgement until we know more about the other legends, traits, and weapons, so take this with a grain of salt
-Class Mechanic is fun and I think well thought out. Overall I like the energy management and legend swapping
-Hammer is very slow and low damage. If we were able to swap weapons, I’d say this was ok, however since we can’t swap in combat I think this weapon needs some tweaking to make it a viable weapon choice
-Mace is not bad for a condi weapon. My only suggestion would be to decrease the cast time on skill 2. It costs energy to use as well, so I think the long cast is unnecessary and slows down an otherwise decently timed weapon
-Axe offhand was wonderful, don’t change a thing (loved skill 4)
-Jalis was overall not bad, but not really my cup of tea. I do really like skill 7 though. The elite has a very long cast time that I think should be reduced as it felt very sluggish to use and when I wanted it (before I foresee a big hit coming) the cast time often made it not so useful. Also, would be helpful if we actually knew what the “damage reduction” really was.
-Mallyx was enjoyable for me (though I noticed most stayed in Jalis) overall. The elite was useful, but I think the energy drain either needs to be reduced, or the stat increase of 10% should be tweaked up.
-In general, I didn’t like how you couldn’t use skills that have an energy drain while you were out of combat. Although I can understand why this is so, there were some situations where I was running up on an enemy and wanted to activate one of these skills, but couldn’t because I wasn’t yet in combat with them.

So, here’s hoping that we get more information on the Revenant soon so we can look at more legends and weapons. I think this class could be great for me, but the play style presented currently just aren’t exactly for me (though interesting enough).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hello there,
I played Revenant on the Beta and I think it is a really fun class to play. Seams pretty balanced to me, although I have no comparison on how hard or easy were the mobs.

I just want to discuss the weapon skills for a bit, cause well either I suck on Hammer or Mace / Axe is too op. I just feel that Hammer is kinda slow and skills are a bit hard to land, the damage is low compared to the Mace / Axe which I found very fast and at the same time very strong. Auto attacks give torment for 4 secs (and poison later) and in combination with the rest of the skills I reached 15 stacks of torment on a simple mob pretty fast.
The fire field has a very small recharge covering a pretty big area and with the skill no3 you can stack might easily. Mace / Axe gives so many cool combos to bring enemies close and deal some fast damage. I loved the mobility with the leap and the teleport, they seams extremely fun for PvP. On the other hand I think torment should be nerfed a bit, it is an extremely strong condition to be that easy to stack.

So ye, I enjoyed the Mace / Axe skills more than the Hammer’s. Revenant is in general very fun to play but I believe the Torment application and the Fire Field recharge should get some small nerfs.

I’m sorry but what in the world makes you think torment is a strong condition? It does half the damage of bleed since PvE enemies never move. At 25 stacks it is doing ~2k dps, which is only ~20% of the DPS other classes can do… Also the mace and axe attacks hit like a wet noodle, I don’t think I ever hit for more than 1.5k using them.

I found on average it took me 5-8x longer to kill an enemy with revenant than it did with an ele.

I’ll admit it certainly looks really cool, but as of right now revenant does even less damage than a necro as far as I can tell.

We are lacking the direct dps line, so maybe things will look better in the future, but the current two legends just don’t have any dps output.

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

I found something I loathe more than bearbow longbow #4 spammers: the mallyx skill that keeps teleporting mobs out of the circle. So annoying especially with the lag that results in enemies leashing/teleporting back into the circle only to be moved out again.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I found something I loathe more than bearbow longbow #4 spammers: the mallyx skill that keeps teleporting mobs out of the circle. So annoying especially with the lag that results in enemies leashing/teleporting back into the circle only to be moved out again.

It has its uses when done right. Like covering people from griffons while they were trying to move eggs to giving NPCs you need to protect some breathing room. But yes, most players had no idea when they should use it.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

It has its uses when done right. Like covering people from griffons while they were trying to move eggs to giving NPCs you need to protect some breathing room. But yes, most players had no idea when they should use it.

Agreed, I found it very useful during many of the night missions protecting soldiers. I also found it a good escape and recover a bit skill by casting it at my own location when being overwhelmed by mobs (I put myself in this position to see how it worked a few times).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I want to see some video play of hammer in action. I see a lot of complaints about it.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

We weren’t beta testing the rev though (beta in your title). It was all about the events. That’s why I didn’t spend much time with the rev, I was there to test the events and see if I noticed any bugs to mention. The log files they collected, they are likely all about how the events ran and ways to fix and optimize them.

I don’t think they are even close to the point of worrying about nerfing the revenant as you suggest, and we likely didn’t even see the actual current build of the class as their in-house testers are likely testing… which could be completely different at this point. I think once they put it all together, we’ll have a better stance to offer critique.

I did run rev a little, but I didn’t see anything op in it’s current playable state. After all, the gear stats were limited, and when bringing in my engi I was breezing through stuff a lot faster than when I was using the rev. Just seems to be a waste of time at this point to be calling for nerfs, of which I’m just saying nerfing rev at this point hah I pretty much disagree with.