Beta Test Application

Beta Test Application

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Hello Arenanet.

This is my application to beta testing HoT.

I’ve successfully beta tested dozens of MMOs ranging from Ashron’s Call and LOTRO to Star Wars Galaxies and vanilla World of Warcraft; and even some lessen known titles like WarRock.

I know how to test, track and report bugs with or without an in-game reporting tool. I know how to take screenshot and create video demos. I know with my years of experience beta testing I would be a valuable resource for you. I want to help make this game as bug-free as possible.

Thank you for your time.

-Ryan

(edited by Korval.3751)

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Patience I say.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

If you had beta tested many games, you’d know that posting a random thread on the forums isn’t a way to get into the beta.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

most of us have been beta testing almost every mmo. every beta tester knows that posting on forums about an invite as joshuaRAWR said will not work for any reason.just patience for announcement

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Pre-purchase will probably be the only way to get beta access. As said before, just wait till they give more details.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

I don’t even…

Attachments:

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

For all we know, it may only be made available for beta testing for those with access to the game’s beta clients – like Woodenpotatoes. We need to wait on more details before we try stuff like this.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Old style beta testing should be burn in hell. If you want feedback then get the feedback from the one who want to buy your game and who is playing your game.

Public Beta is always the best way to test your game.

All is vain.

(edited by Siva Mira.3546)

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Old style beta testing should be burn in hell. If you want feedback then get the feedback from the one who want to buy your game and who is playing your game.

Exactly. Someone like me. I actively buy gems and items. I actively make purchases in Guild Wars 1. I’m not only a fan and active player but I am also contributing to game’s financial health too in my own small way.

The reason I posted my application for Beta is based on an answer Mike gave PC Gamer http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-interview/

Mike: Well things are going to start happening really fast with the expansion pack. We are six weeks away from PAX East and Rezzed, and so people are going to be able to play the expansion pack for the first time in early March and then get into beta testing right after that. Of course, the live game will continue, so there are updates for the live game. But mostly right now we’re going to be focused on beta testing this expansion pack. We waited to announce this until we had the whole package together. The whole package is together and it’s coming up fast. Sitting down with players last night, talking about the expansion pack, of course the first words on everybody’s lips are “when?” The truth is, that all depends on beta testing. We are getting right into beta testing here and we will be playing the expansion pack with all the Guild Wars 2 players, and testing these very important groundwork systems that we’re building in. When the groundwork is there—when this is the foundation we’re ready for to build Guild Wars on top of for the coming years—that’s when we’ll release it.

March and April are going to be here before we know it. I’d really like to put myself out there and say I would love to offer my passed Beta testing experience for GW2’s first expansion.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Actually they should get ppl who know how to glitch maps etc to be beta testers and not popular streamers etc. The purpose of beta testing to flush out any possible exploits and bugs and not for publicity purposes or for people to get an early access advantage.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

You know spots for the beta aren’t even open yet, right?

Beta Test Application

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

This is not how they’re going to get beta testers. Posting like this in the forums is just spam. Wait until they actually announce something. They’re either going to go with a specific group of testers, make it open, or they’ll clarify how to get in later on… This is not the way to do it and it’s super annoying. Imagine if everyone on the forums started making topics like this.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You mean those kind of modern betas where 90% of the people have no actual interest in testing, but just play it in order to play it before everyone else, and thus the actual amounts of testing becomes very limited which makes the product suffer in the long term?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I don’t even…

^

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

I agree with Krall. Most people who want to do beta “testing” just want to try stuff first. It seems that this thread was made for that perpose. Oh em gee, pick me, pick me I’m good… I really hope they just give beta to pax employees or something random like that.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

You mean those kind of modern betas where 90% of the people have no actual interest in testing, but just play it in order to play it before everyone else, and thus the actual amounts of testing becomes very limited which makes the product suffer in the long term?

You can’t exactly expect people to work for you for free. You have to build the testing process around the idea of people wanting to play, not work. Therefore, you have small focus tests where people stress test small parts of the game, while you observe them.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Well, if it goes by how ArenaNet has treated betas in the past, the first beta may be only for press. After that, it may be a closed beta with a controlled selection of people, and then public stress tests that is open to anyone that pre-ordered.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You can’t exactly expect people to work for you for free. You have to build the testing process around the idea of people wanting to play, not work. Therefore, you have small focus tests where people stress test small parts of the game, while you observe them.

I would assume that most people would see the fact that they are able to help test and provide feedback for a product they like as more than enough payment. At least people that wants to actual beta-test as compared to people that just want to play it early.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Beta Test Application

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

The beta process goes like this:

1. Pick people at random, almost excluding veterans

2. Give them an NDA with the threat of banning their account if they break it

3. People who don’t like the game aren’t worried about their account so they leak info with a negative tone

4. Hardcore fans have to deal with disheartening leaks on Reddit as they wait

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Beta Test Application

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Exactly! Which is why so many bugs pass right through beta and into the final product!

Beta Test Application

Posted by: Cyrrin.1230

Cyrrin.1230

OMG

completely off topic but… ASHERON’S CALL!!!!! started that in 2000 and quit in 2008 – there has never been anything like it!