Beta feedback-Death by Jumping Mushroom

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

The jumping mushroom was my second unlocked mastery, and from the first jump there were problems:

• You can activate while not on mushroom, but jump will miss target
  • fall damage on many jumps
  • longer jumps on mushrooms, like the one from the frog pact camp to frog town lower platform were fatal from full health half the time.

I feel like some invulnerablity for the duration of the animation would fix the death and damage, but I’m not sure what to do about missing the jump if not on the mushroom.

Anyone else have these problems, or have solutions that worked during beta?

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Posted by: ArtVeigar.3952

ArtVeigar.3952

I had the exact same problems. Some times missing the jump would also cause me to fall into the huge cliffs and die. It would be good if they removed fall damage after using the mushroom and if they find a way to standardize the trajectory despite the start position, because even being over the mushroom could cause slightly different trajectory if you’re closer to one border than to the other border or the center.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I never had the problem but I always made sure to stand dead center on the mushroom before hitting F. I also had the impression (likely erroneous) that I could steer during the jump, so I pressed forward when going up to the Pale Reaver rifle butte. That may have saved me once when I landed on the very edge, I’m not sure.

Posted by: Jaya.2760

Jaya.2760

Died 3 or 4 times using the mushrooms, too. Reminds me at the platforms by tequatl at the beginning, not only because of the animation. It was also gambling to use them, hoping to land and be still alive. They fixed it by tequatl, so i’m sure anet will fix it for the mushrooms as well.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I was wondering: Are they designed to be rather like a jumping puzzle? Meaning: If you don’t hit the right spot you will fall and you may die. Or do you think this is a systemic issue that should be adjusted through design?

I’m a major jump/miss/die JP-er, so I had to ask.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Yojimaru.4980

Yojimaru.4980

I think it’s a systemic issue. Out of all the bounce mushrooms I tried, I only found one that almost kills you with fall damage (it’s the one at the primary Jaka Itzal rally point, using it takes you to the lowest section of the Itzal village, but almost kills you in the process)

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

I actually tested the jump between the Itzel village and the pact camp. Did that jump several times just to be sure of results.
Going from Itzel to pact, you aren’t in danger of getting killed by falling damage. Since the landing is higher than the take off point.
Going the other way however, either takes about 90% of your health or kills you outright depending on where you stand on the mushroom. And that is, if you don’t hit the tree branch half way there.
I did a /bug report on it in game.

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

Posted by: Shaltif.7328

Shaltif.7328

I have to say, my experience with the jump mushrooms was rather unpleasant and not as expected. I originally thought they would work like the jumping mechanics in Super Adventure Box (where you could somewhat control your flight in mid air and thus, have some layer of control of where you landed (or died if you failed)). When I realized they took user control away during flight and had a pre-determined target, but you could still die from them (which was most of my cases, unfortunately) I considered it a bug and avoided using them…

So I would agree that it’s a problem with the way the system is designed over a ‘jump puzzle mechanic’ (since there isn’t much input the user can give once your in the air). It also didn’t help that some of the targets for the mushrooms were just plain bizarre. I literally had one shoot me face first into a tree branch, after which I fell into the abyss below. Funny? Yeah, sure. Practical for use? No. And considering there was no real way for me to see or judge my character’s placement before making the jump (before running head long into the branch, for example) it was just pure ‘luck’ if I lived or died.

In a nut shell. If the jump mushrooms are designed to have a pre-determined location for landing with no user control in mid flight, the landing should be guaranteed safe (thus no fall damage, obstructions or out-of-bound landings) regardless of the exact location the player is standing when they start the jump (tho I would recommend you force the user to be on the mushroom before starting the jump). If you plan to give the freedom of mid-flight corrections and letting users decide their own landing points, then I could say the possibly of death would be allowable… since then the errors of mistakes/deaths fall on the ability of the end user and not the targeting ability of the system.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I was kinda disappointed by the fact that you don’t bounce on them like in the SAB, rahter it’s the cheaper solution like the air power at the zephyrites…

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

ArtVeigar.3952

I second Shaltif. You either give us mid-air control (but that could lead to a change of design anywhere bouncing mushrooms are involved, what could be impractical now) or you guarantee that the fall will be safe.

The one that makes you hit the branch killed me a couple times as well, until I figured the exact place you need to stay on the mushroom to be able to go in the right direction.

Posted by: slayerking.3581

slayerking.3581

I actually tested the jump between the Itzel village and the pact camp. Did that jump several times just to be sure of results.
Going from Itzel to pact, you aren’t in danger of getting killed by falling damage. Since the landing is higher than the take off point.
Going the other way however, either takes about 90% of your health or kills you outright depending on where you stand on the mushroom. And that is, if you don’t hit the tree branch half way there.
I did a /bug report on it in game.

I got killed going from the lower one up to the pact camp, But not from falling damage…well sort of. I activated that mushroom and my character curled up into a ball and started spinning and that was it for about 20 seconds it sat there getting beaten up by the enemy there and when I was about dead it shot me off down into the void instead of up.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I was wondering: Are they designed to be rather like a jumping puzzle? Meaning: If you don’t hit the right spot you will fall and you may die. Or do you think this is a systemic issue that should be adjusted through design?

using mushrooms should be 100% safe the way they work at present.

The alternative would be to use them as catapults flinging you in a direction you face, maybe at a speed/angle determined by how long you channel the activate…but they are not set up like that, they take you to specific placed, but half the time miss and half the time kill you.

Its annoying.

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

I would prefer if they had some sort of indicator of where they were going to send you, or at least a direction. I was doing the event where you have to gather the wyvern eggs on the cliffs, and most of the mushrooms propelled you up the cliffs a bit farther, making it a useful mastery, but one random mushroom was apparently aimed the other direction and shot players into the canyon below. I wasn’t able to glide out of the spinning animation, so this was a death sentence. There was no way I was able to tell in advance that this was a mushroom I shouldn’t step on. I don’t know if this was a bug or a feature, but it was annoying either way.

Several other mushroom jumps I had to repeat a few times depending on where I started them and if I was attempting to steer them, which also caused me to become stuck a few times.

I don’t know that I’d put much if any player variation into these, as they are an unlock, and you are then adding in lag variance. In my ideal vision of this, you hit interact once and a little arc would appear showing the path to the destination, and you’d hit interact again, and the mushroom would take you there, assuming you were on top of it. If you attempted to move your character or hit escape, it would cancel.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

ArtVeigar.3952

I don’t know that I’d put much if any player variation into these, as they are an unlock, and you are then adding in lag variance. In my ideal vision of this, you hit interact once and a little arc would appear showing the path to the destination, and you’d hit interact again, and the mushroom would take you there, assuming you were on top of it. If you attempted to move your character or hit escape, it would cancel.

I don’t really like having to press F twice, I’d rather have some sign show the direction when you step over the mushroom, and then you press F once and it gets you there.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

In this regard I think it should be more like he jumping pads in Tequatl, in that in these cases you are using them for their intended purposes and you should not be killed by it

It would be neat, though, if you could deploy your glider while at the top of your arc and fly somewhere else

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

There was one that I tried using 3 times. The first 2 times my character just curled up into a ball and started spinning, and didn’t go anywhere. I had to relog to stop the spinning. The third time it worked, although I don’t think I did anything differently. I also noticed that there was one that whenever I used it I took huge damage when I landed. I didn’t die but I think that may have been because I was either on a Revenant or a Guardian so I may have had better defense?

you can’t fix stupid

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Why can’t the Jumping Mastery negate the fall damage when used, that way people could learn by damage that points in that line are worth while.

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

The jumping shrooms should always get you to the location they are meant to go to.
Without the falling damage.
Without getting hit by a branch in the air.
Wihtout being to short and instead fall to your death (I had this happen to me in the Ruins. The one shroom that shoots you to a bride, failed on me. Instead of landing on the bride, I faceplanted on the side of the bridge and started falling to my death, luckily I had glider unlocked. Another one in the Ruins the one that get you to where Laranthir is, failed me once aswell. It shoot me up close to the edge, but I didn’t have enough hight to land so I fell down)
No matter where you stand on the shroom, always travel the intended distance and land at the intended place.
I hope thats how you designed them to work for JP and general usage. Otherwise, you have a lot of map design and content design to fix [:

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

(edited by Manifibel.8420)

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

It doesn’t seem to be a planned design action, and I have had this happen several times even when seemingly perfectly placed to jump. The action seems similar to the Drytop cystals, jumps there can still be unpredictable in that it may cut short or go on for an unreasonable time. Falling off a cliff that should be impossibly far to jump to isn’t fun.

I jumped on one of these mushrooms and activated it. My toon just stayed put, spinning continuously for over 30 seconds, then rolled off the mushroom and over a cliff. That was at least interesting. It felt like firing a cannon and having the ball drop out of the end of the barrel and roll away. The action seemed to stick once started in that there was no way to cancel it, even while rolling.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I just think that there should be a further mastery that allow you to perform jumping’s with perfection(No matter your stat/postion on the mushrrom) , while the first tiers can result in strange behaviors if you are not centered on the mushroom. (Like jumping away, or not making the full jump.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

I’m confused (a somewhat normal state when reading this forum). One barges into a wild jungle area that is essentially the front line of the enemy and you expect (or demand) it to be as easy and safe as going to play in your neighborhood park?

OK, I’ll vote to make the gameplay so easy I can wander around in my underwear with no weapons equipped and not needing to press any keys other than WASD to move and F to collect all that loot. That would be really challenging and fun. (Sarcasm intended.)

I’m very far from being a really good player but even I managed to survive exploring what little we saw of VB. It’s fine as it is IMO. I don’t expect it to be easy or safe and things like mushrooms that bounce you the wrong way or don’t work the same way twice just add a touch of reality to it all. (But someone please fix the obvious glitches!)

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

I realized that I had mushroom footage on one of the videos that I took. After watching it, and doing some cutting, I have a pretty good example of what has people concerned.

In the video I am on a Revenant, which has 25,151 health, and she comes pretty close to dying more than once. If someone were on a character with less health, such as my Tempest who only had 13,920, they would most certainly have been dead.

https://youtu.be/wDXb4hSiZAI

you can’t fix stupid

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

Systemic issue for sure

I always tried to stand on center of mushroom after my first death, and I seemed to get random results on whether or not I would get damage and/or die making the same trip multiple times. In reality I was probably just in slightly different positions by a few inches each time, but if that is the level of precision you expect HoT jumping puzzles to have…I’m done with jumping puzzles.

I’m confused (a somewhat normal state when reading this forum). One barges into a wild jungle area that is essentially the front line of the enemy and you expect (or demand) it to be as easy and safe as going to play in your neighborhood park?

If the ability to use the mushrooms weren’t part of a mastery track on frog culture, then mabey the mushrooms being more likely to kill you then be a shortcut would make sense, but the fact is we are literally trained in their use by the local inhabitants of the jungle. This is clearly not working add intended.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N