Beta seems 'small'

Beta seems 'small'

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Am I missing something or is the map pretty small? It’s supposed to be 25% and it seems like I got through all of it in one sitting. I could not find anywhere special to glide to that you couldn’t run to and it looks like the mushroom jumps where just short cuts.

Trying to glide down just hit a floor where you get an error and die. Is the full ‘verticality’ of the map really open? Also the events seem pretty limited but they are probably no where near complete yet.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

You’re missing so much, you can fly to several places. The outposts events branch out through day into night, among lanathir and sky charr, I been playing for 10 hours, I have even touched everything yet because masteries not unlocked, not finishing the meta event chain from day to night.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

It all seems to form something bigger, onto something even bigger from event to event.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

It’s a beta and it’s not meant to let players experience bunch of content but simply to test out bugs and let testers to provide feedbacks on the game play.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

What we have available right now is about a quarter of one of the three levels of one map. You’re kitten right it seems small, we only have access to one twelfth of one map.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

I too think it seems small. But this is to test the mechanics used in the leveling experience while keeping the story secret. Which is a big deal if you’ve been a part of another MMO’s Beta Test… that spoils everything.

If the mechanics work in this sample area, they’ll work everywhere else. That’s the plant Anet is running with.

So I’d say focus on the mechanics of leveling, mastery and professions. Not so much how MUCH of it there is to test. Try breaking the mechanics used and then report that. We’ll be blind in terms of map exploration and stuff until the official release.

Which is surprisingly is still this year. I’d bet deep November or December on that.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Colin stated in this most recent PoI that the Beta Map (25%) was only of the jungle floor. No canopy available, and no underground (roots).

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah. Small area. They didn’t want people having access to the whole map during the betas. They want it to be fresh and new when the expansion arrives.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

Still 25% would seem to mean there will be only 4 maps in total. Somehow four maps doesn’t feel like expansion but maybe my view on expansions is skewed by original guild wars. For example Nightfall introduced 350 new skills, two new professions, hero customization, new armor and weapons, five regions each with 10-12 explorable areas, and 20 co-op missions etc. All for the price of around $40 if I remember correctly.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: dgenxp.8650

dgenxp.8650

just do clarify its 25% of 1 map which implies there are more maps coming, not sure how many you are expecting as this is an expansion, my expectation is probably 4 full size maps plus i believe living world will release more maps. as it stands right now any content whether its 2 maps or just 1 i will be happy do leave this contentless lul, im really looking forward to living world returning (but im probably in the minority)

(edited by dgenxp.8650)

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I guess my biggest issue is what is there to do to level up? How many hours do I have to spend killing the same spawns to get a few masteries? The first one wasn’t too bad, but the second one was twice as long and I got bored before I was even at 50%.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

Ah. You are correct. It says 25% of the first map. I misread it originally.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: RaymondFung.2805

RaymondFung.2805

Yah. Small area. They didn’t want people having access to the whole map during the betas. They want it to be fresh and new when the expansion arrives.

Yes, the area is small and full of mods. If you use moving skill may fall (even is you walk and not pay attention u may fall

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: dgenxp.8650

dgenxp.8650

Its no trouble its easy to do

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

There is some hint at things deep under the trees. I managed to glide partway down until my wings seem to go into autofail mode and fell to my death down in the unrendered underbelly of the zone. There was some sort of building visible in the distance. I hope the internal development map is further along than the playable beta we have. There is room at the lower level for lots more content to do.

I don’t think I will have time to play enough to develop my gliding so I can go up using updrafts in one weekend. I didn’t really look up to see if there was anywhere to go. Remember the Wrath of Khan… start thinking in 3 dimensions.

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

There is some hint at things deep under the trees. I managed to glide partway down until my wings seem to go into autofail mode and fell to my death down in the unrendered underbelly of the zone. There was some sort of building visible in the distance. I hope the internal development map is further along than the playable beta we have. There is room at the lower level for lots more content to do.

I don’t think I will have time to play enough to develop my gliding so I can go up using updrafts in one weekend. I didn’t really look up to see if there was anywhere to go. Remember the Wrath of Khan… start thinking in 3 dimensions.

One of the devs did mention in a PoI or ready up (pretty sure it was Rubi in a PoI) that in the actual map you’ll be able to glide down into that area and go into the bottom layer of the zone that way.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Am I missing something or is the map pretty small? It’s supposed to be 25% and it seems like I got through all of it in one sitting. I could not find anywhere special to glide to that you couldn’t run to and it looks like the mushroom jumps where just short cuts.

Trying to glide down just hit a floor where you get an error and die. Is the full ‘verticality’ of the map really open? Also the events seem pretty limited but they are probably no where near complete yet.

The original BETA for the core game were also tiny. Later BETA weekends increased the amount of acreage available, although never to the point of helping us understand just how much bigger GW2 is than GW1 (in terms of total gameplay available in the open world — even if the physical size might be comparable, the density of content is far greater in GW2).

tl;dr You can’t judge the length of a movie by the duration of its preview/trailer. (Never mind the quality.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Colin stated in this most recent PoI that the Beta Map (25%) was only of the jungle floor. No canopy available, and no underground (roots).

So, I’m expecting it to cover 75% more of the map when I press the M key. Basically go to the edge of my screen then almost hit the words, “Magus Falls” … Still seems like a LS update vs. expansion. “But it has three levels!!!!#I@!J#ORIJ!!!” And? It’s still the same map. I expect better for a paid expansion.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Beta seems 'small'

TheFantasticGman.9451

One of the devs did mention in a PoI or ready up (pretty sure it was Rubi in a PoI) that in the actual map you’ll be able to glide down into that area and go into the bottom layer of the zone that way.

Nope. You get ((######)) then you die.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So, I’m expecting it to cover 75% more of the map when I press the M key. Basically go to the edge of my screen then almost hit the words, “Magus Falls” … Still seems like a LS update vs. expansion. “But it has three levels!!!!#I@!J#ORIJ!!!” And? It’s still the same map. I expect better for a paid expansion.

There is already clear confirmation that there won’t be only one map with the expansion and what we have in the beta is 25% of ONE map.

Beta seems 'small'

TheFantasticGman.9451

Did they out right say it though that there will be more than one map? All I’ve heard them say is that there will be three “levels” of this one map.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Beta Character lack of learned basic mastery.And events which are source for XP bugged out Which is really bad for grinding them.

Beta seems 'small'

maddoctor.2738

Did they out right say it though that there will be more than one map? All I’ve heard them say is that there will be three “levels” of this one map.

Many times. The more recent one is a comment by Colin which states:
“Not all zones will feature the 3 biome system”, notice the plural “zone*s*”, meaning there will be at least 2 zones with 3 biomes and another 2 without 3 biomes. At the very least.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Whoa! Is this really true? So what er have seen of this single zone is 25% of the jungle floor. There is still 100% of the canopy and 100% of the underground and 75% of the floor that we haven’t even see seen?
That means we haven’t even seen 10% of this single zone. That makes these zones pretty darn big. I think fewer zones (3-4) is much more acceptable that I previously thought now.

I thought I read somewhere that what we’ve seen was 25% of the entire map. That would make the zones the same size or not much larger than core games zones.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think you have confused what was said. The 25% of the map shown is only comprised of jungle floor area. No canopy, and no underground.

That’s not the same as 25% of the jungle floor shown.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think you have confused what was said. The 25% of the map shown is only comprised of jungle floor area. No canopy, and no underground.

That’s not the same as 25% of the jungle floor shown.

Indeed.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

As many has said allready but to keep the word up I will echo it in my own way.

A few people I know have read this wrong ’ where about 25 percent of the total playable space of that first map will be available to play’. – Taken from https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-first-beta-weekend-event-begins-august-7/

Some think it says ’ where about 25 percent of the total playable space of the new maps will be available to play’ ….

So it is not 25% of the whole expansion mapwise, it is just 25% of the first map.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Many times. The more recent one is a comment by Colin which states:
“Not all zones will feature the 3 biome system”, notice the plural “zone*s*”, meaning there will be at least 2 zones with 3 biomes and another 2 without 3 biomes. At the very least.

In addition to that quote there are these:

“For example, we’ll only ever be showing the first story chapter and parts of the first map of the expansion during beta weekends to ensure that an entire world of discovery and excitement awaits you on launch day when you venture deeper into the jungle. After all, Guild Wars 2 is the game where the journey is the goal!”

In this quote they are talking about how each of the new maps has its own theme and features:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/gameplay-features-making-the-most-of-maguuma/
Each map also has its own unique themes and map-wide meta-features that connect to the story and the characters in new and exciting ways. For example, in Verdant Brink— the first map players encounter once they enter the Heart of Thorns—”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Beta seems 'small'

maddoctor.2738

Check out this map by that_shaman that shows some locations on the world map:

http://i.imgur.com/NBuzvmk.jpg

Looks like we will get the entire area of Magus Falls with HoT as well as the area between Rata Sum and Dry Top.

Souce: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ga85x/updated_known_hot_locations_on_the_world_map/

I hope people will stop saying we will get just one map now…

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

In WP’s latest video he also made an interesting point that perhaps we could estimate the number of maps from the distribution of mastery points and the number of points required to fill our mastery lines. He stated something around 11 maps. I didn’t check his math though and admittedly it is assuming a lot. Like whether mastery points will be distributed on average the same as we see in this beta area.

Regardless, the idea is solid enough to give Anet the benefit of the doubt at the very least.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Gazille.7381

Gazille.7381

Its only beta, of course they are only going to have a lil bit to try.

Beta seems 'small'

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

Your judging by such an arbitrary thing, each map could be huge but if there turns out to be say 2 (and that wont be the number) despite having tons of content you would feel jipped just because it wasnt more maps?