Boost to 80?

Boost to 80?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Q:

Speculative Question:
~Will the Heart of Thorns expansion include a boost to level 80 for new characters?

• 1) Would you, the players, want such a boost?
  • ~1b) With restrictions?
  • 2) Will the Revenant be auto-boosted to level 80 as a “post Zhaitan” class?

My main question on this related more to the 2nd question than the 1st. When the Revenant was revealed and detailed, many questions become of it. The class is very much similar to that of the Death Knight in WoW based on it’s introduction style. That class was introduced as close-to-cap-level with a backstory relevant to it’s design.

Rytlock got sucked jumped into the Mists chasing his sword POST Zhaitan and POST Scarlet Briar. Arena Net has already spoken to the fact that Rytlock is the very first Revenant that obtained the powers from the Mists.

To keep story in line with both future events and past ones, it would be illogical (*Revenant channeling of the great hero Spock!) to have the class start at level 1 and proceed through all the events that existed before it did. So far Arena Net’s writers have been very good at setting events up months to even years ahead of what is going to happen. There has to be some major foresight on these kinds of conflicts in lore with the new class being introduced.

And as for the just a generic level 80 boost, it’s kind of a hit and miss thing. I highly doubt they’d do it, but seeing as how it has become a popular thing in recent years for other games to provide such ease-of-access for expanded upon products.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Why would they boost people they want new ones to experience the game….. popular thing 1 game have done it

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Between Tomes of Knowledge, and the fastest record for reaching level 80 via open-world content being 12 hours, displaying how easy it is to get 80, I don’t think we need an auto-80 option.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Personal thought:

1st: I have 11 level 20 scrolls and, 79 level up scrolls (I used 60 before that to try and earn some money at it, wasnt that good) so I do not really need it.

2nd: If Revenant starts at level 1 (Wich I hope and guess) I would level it from scratch so I can learn the class from A to O.

Lore-wise it could work with a level 80-class that Unlocks once you get an old class to level 80 but as level in this game (IMO) is meant to be as a tutorial I think it is a ver stupid move.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Nightwin.6423

Nightwin.6423

Personal thought:

1st: I have 11 level 20 scrolls and, 79 level up scrolls (I used 60 before that to try and earn some money at it, wasnt that good) so I do not really need it.

2nd: If Revenant starts at level 1 (Wich I hope and guess) I would level it from scratch so I can learn the class from A to O.

Lore-wise it could work with a level 80-class that Unlocks once you get an old class to level 80 but as level in this game (IMO) is meant to be as a tutorial I think it is a ver stupid move.

I’ll take over from O-Z

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

Maybe a more relevant question is whether or not players plan to use Tomes of Knowledge to instantly make their Revenant level 80 or not. Myself, I haven’t decided but I’m leaning towards not doing so. I know it’s a long trek but I tend to learn more about a profession if I level it “normally.”

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

You have plenty of time between now and the x-pack launching to farm 60-80 ToK (depending if you have a scroll or not) for getting your boost to 80. I don’t think the monotony of leveling in this game is nearly bad enough to start calling for free or paid boosts outside of the structure already provided.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

1 – no, no need for the boost.
2 – i doubt it, like 99% sure doubt. there’s a lost of immersion breaking in the game already, such as every other class doing PS with a ruined lions arch and being acknowledged as ‘commander’ from the getgo. i doubt they will make a special exemption for revenants.

i myself plan to make a ‘dummy’ revenant to get an idea of how to play it. delete and then make a ‘real’ revenant after i’ve built/acquired his ascended items, tomes, and other necessities. (the armor is built only after i have an idea of how i want him to run.)

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Probably unnecessary. Between Boosters, Tomes and Scrolls of Experience, you can get levels pretty quickly. I’ve already got a stack of Tomes, and I know other players have even more waiting in their Banks.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

I have enough Tomes of Knowledge thanks>

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Boost to 80?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Personal thought:

I’ll take over from O-Z

lol thanks I am a what some may call casual player so I will probably only get to O before there is a new update Actually I dunno what I though… It was like from Alpha to Omega :P

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Boost to 80?

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

If Anet can make a legitimate buck selling 80 boosts, power to ‘em. I couldn’t care less. I’m not sure I’d ever buy one (and I know for kitten sure I wouldn’t if the trait system isn’t significantly altered from the drek it presently is), but I could see myself at least entertaining the notion.

If trait acquisition were no longer a PITA, of course. Otherwise, ha ha ha, yeahno

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

well they did say something about changing the trait system in the stream dident they or was it one of the interviews

Boost to 80?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I hope you can boost your toon, that is the main reason I am saving on xp boosts and level boosts.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: MatthewCam.4391

MatthewCam.4391

In-lore it would make sense for Revenants to be level 80 but in-game wise I don’t see it going over well, besides like everyone else said, we’re all pretty well stocked on level up tomes.

Sea of Sorrows | Lt Mc Muffin
Don’t worry the games still in Beta.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Personal thought:

I’ll take over from O-Z

So does that make you a good wizard or a bad wizard?

Boost to 80?

Posted by: TazzDeMazz.4716

TazzDeMazz.4716

Would be weird if they gave a lvl80 booster after basically reworking the entire lvling process as a preparation for the new players coming in. Add to that the slew of tomes and scrolls you get and no lvl 80 booster would be wastefull.
I suppose they could put a lvl80 booster in the gemstore for the really impatient an uninformed players.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

1 – no, no need for the boost.
2 – i doubt it, like 99% sure doubt. there’s a lost of immersion breaking in the game already, such as every other class doing PS with a ruined lions arch and being acknowledged as ‘commander’ from the getgo. i doubt they will make a special exemption for revenants.

i myself plan to make a ‘dummy’ revenant to get an idea of how to play it. delete and then make a ‘real’ revenant after i’ve built/acquired his ascended items, tomes, and other necessities. (the armor is built only after i have an idea of how i want him to run.)

Very few care about immersion. Some do but not to the extent you think.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

the only game I know that were doing it was WoW when it was increasing level cap with most of expansions and then offered to boost your character up to “old” level cap so you could immediatelly move on the expac content – GW2 in not increasign level cap so the only possible reason I’d find for starting with level 80 is to give players “possibility” to head straight to heart of the jungle with revy….. on the day the expac will launch – and even if anet will not do so I am sure that there will be more than planty of such players…..

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I have enough Tomes of Knowledge thanks>

Agreed….I’ve also been stacking up those XP chits for 2 months as well.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Boost to 80?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well right now, we don’t even need such a thing. As others have said, we can use the birthday auto level 20s item and tomes. Or for those that are new accounts, could be saving up both tomes and the writs of experience from dailies right now to level a revenant.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Boost to 80?

Posted by: cyst.3108

cyst.3108

Well the only thing that would make sense is:
As Rytlock did, you get one of your lv 80 characters (who have killed Zaithan and at least the last episode of the LS) and “Combert” to Revenant.

After June 25 im like… 90% happier

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Kordach Kross.9246

Kordach Kross.9246

Personally I plan on doing the tomes for level 80. Well tomes and writs actually since I save both. I had my first 80 within days of the game starting so I personally don’t think that there is a lot of extra to be had from just doing the main storyline since I have done it in so many combinations.

My plan is to level him to 80 with gear ready and waiting and then go use him to play the new content with the same day.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I’ll pop an instant level 20 scroll on my Revenant, but the rest I plan to level up normally so I can get a good handle on what the class has available. The first 20 levels are the biggest tutorial points. I don’t need to learn how to gather and underwater combat, I just need to learn the Revenant particulars.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Boost to 80?

Posted by: ProDexorite.9620

ProDexorite.9620

I don’t think this would bring any good to the game… If someone is willing to experience their characters at full level, there’s always a PvP-mode which boosts you up to that and unlocks almost everything for you to try and experiment on.

Getting a level 80-boost, especially for new players can be very confusing and it kind of gets off the interest from MMORPGs… Leveling is the thing that must be done in order to climb up to the end-game content. MMO shouldn’t be offering any kind of shortcuts to anywhere in my opinion.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

I’ve come to the realization that the only reason leveling actually exists in this game is to parse out content for newer players so that they do not become overwhelmed.

Since that’s the case, I don’t think it would be a good idea to give people that buy HoT a free 80… at least if they haven’t level to 80 normally first. If you want a free 80, just play the game until HoT launches and you’ll end up getting a nice supply of tomes of knowledge and at least 1 scroll of experience from a birthday I’d imagine.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Based on everything Anet has said about HoT I’m not sure why these questions are even being asked?

1. What would be the point? There will be no raising of max level or added tiers of gear. The only reason to boost people to a certain level with an xpac is if there’s going to be an increased level cap. And like others have said, just play the game. By the time the xpac comes out you’ll have plenty scrolls and tomes.

2. Revenant is not not a Deathknight. See response to Q1.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Definite level 20 scroll first. Then I think I’ll play for a while, maybe to level 50 or so. At that point I think I’ll use the rest of my tomes to get to 80.

I’ll probably play my ranger in the new area first and learn the Druid part. The Revenant can get to the new maps after that.

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Darksigned.8726

Darksigned.8726

I just logged in yesterday to see that i have a free lvl 80 boost in my backpack. To be honest I want it removed from the game, because I’ve seen another MMO go down that route and it wasn’t nice to say the least. I can see the logic behind being able to quickly jump into the game so you could play with your friends, but at the same time that kills the building blocks of what makes an MMO immersive and makes the hard work those devs put into the world obsolete. Leveling is not only here so you could “level up”, but it is there so it can show you the ropes aswell. That’s my two cents about the whole situation and I honestly hope that we don’t end up with lvl 80 boosts in the cash shop.

(edited by Darksigned.8726)

Boost to 80?

Posted by: Moderator

[We have current discussions on this topic, please continue discussion in one of those threads. Thanks!]