Bouncing Mushrooms cannot fail

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

, but they currently do. This needs to change by launch.

I got the Bouncing Mushrooms mastery relatively early in the beta and tried out a lot of the mushrooms. I had thought that they would be like jump pads, where they just bounce you and you control your trajectory, but they instead work like the Tequatl pads, carrying you to a specific target location. . . except when they don’t.

Several times when I would use a jump pad, it would clearly fail to deliver me to my destination. Sometimes it would intend to lift me straight up and then slightly forward, and instead it would just go straight up and then drop me, causing fall damage. Sometimes it would just send me wildly off course. Several times it dropped me into the abyss.

This is fine in beta, and in areas where WPs are relatively close by and getting back is just a short glide away, but would be completely unacceptable after launch. The Verdant Brink map is already a bit short on active WPs to get you back into the action, and apparently some jumping puzzles will be using these. If I spend an hour working my way through a complex jumping puzzle, and I slip to my death, fine, that’s on me, but if instead I activate a mushroom and it flings me to my death, entirely outside my control, then that’s some Rage right there.

The Bouncing Mushrooms need to be made absolutely foolproof. They need to get you safely to the target destination 100% of the time, 0% failure rate. Maybe at least they make you immune to fall damage for the duration of the trip (plus a little cushion just in case), Maybe it checks to see if you actually reached the intended target point the “right” way, and if you somehow aren’t there when you’re supposed to be, the game just teleports you there anyways. There need to be backup plans to ensure that these things will never make the game worse for people.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

As with the first beta (that we needed the portal to the heart of Maguuma for) I found a bunch that just killed you. I bug reported them in game when I found them.

Some of them are consistent about killing you others are just sometimes broken.

The one on the lower level of Torching Tendrils usually worked, but once while doing the adventure it bounced me up only to have my glider activate and then I started floating backwards and I couldn’t control where I was going. Makes doing that adventure quite difficult.

The ones I found in the first beta didn’t kill me this time so I’m guessing that the bug reports I sent in helped them find the ones that hurtle you to your death. I probably didn’t find all of them this time, but the ones I did find got a bug report sent in.

Even after the bugs are worked out I assume it’ll be like the lightning pull crystals in Dry top where if you have a terribad ping you might just get dropped to your death anyways.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I second that.

I got a dozen of time that used it and it tossed me into the abysm, killing me.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

And please no fall damage from mushroom jumps

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

Posted by: Priest Tully.3798

Priest Tully.3798

A few times mushrooms (in the tendril burning adventure) failed to deliver me to the correct spot, assuming they have a set pathing that shouldn’t happen I guess.

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

Agreed. I encountered a few different variations of issues with Bouncing Mushrooms I forgot to mention in my BWE1 Feedback.

I agree that if the Mushrooms are targeted and they are to have a set path then we should not take any damage from a failed bounce. It should return us to the starting mushroom for a retry.

If the mushrooms are to simply provide a means by which to simply bounce (as the
Wind Crystal does) then we should be able to influence our trajectory. Fails will be our own.

In either case we should not be pushed back (to fall to our deaths), tossed beyond the location into certain doom or frozen once safely landed as if held immobile by an unseen enemy. Also, it would be nice if it would actually provide the propulsion to be lifted above the intended landing location rather than hitting our heads on an invisible outcropping.

Hope those get fixed because it sure is fun using the alternate methods of travel (gliding, speeding, bouncing) in verdant Brinks. I wish it could be usable in ALL of Tyria XD I’m gonna have more than my share of “Ooops, forgot! Glider doesn’t work here!” moments when HoT comes out. I have already fallen to my death thinking I had my glider during BWE1. T.T

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com