Build Locking

Build Locking

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Say bye-bye to build locking.

Build roles are what you do at a character level. Things like what weapons, utility skills, traits, and even armor you choose to bring to a fight. Some encounters are going to push you to try different weapons you rarely use, some are going to challenge you to select traits you haven’t considered equipping before, and some encounters may even require a member of your group to dust off that toughness gear to bulk up and tank some heavy hits to protect the condition-build players in the back. This is just a tiny sample of the types of build roles we want to push as a core part of Guild Wars 2 dynamic combat.

https://www.guildwars2.com/de/news/designing-challenging-content/

yeah, unfortunately, time to start crafting a couple more of ascended armours to go along with all the other stuff we’ll have to carry around just to do a raid.

shame really but what can you do.

Oh it was a money saving thread all along xD

Money, convenience and fun (i do really like build locking)

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572

Build Locking

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

I honestly don’t see the problem with unlocked builds(assuming however that they ARE locked during fights). Bring the right tool for the right job. That’s a kind of strategy. It’s unfortunately not part of the game right now, but if runes encouraged use of specific skills combined with unlocked builds should theoretically improve build and encounter diversity, and increase life of content(getting different sets of gear).

I do understand that people like build locking though.

I’d prefer it if they didn’t lock, but I wouldn’t mind terribly if they did lock.

Build Locking

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I honestly don’t see the problem with unlocked builds(assuming however that they ARE locked during fights). Bring the right tool for the right job. That’s a kind of strategy. It’s unfortunately not part of the game right now, but if runes encouraged use of specific skills combined with unlocked builds should theoretically improve build and encounter diversity, and increase life of content(getting different sets of gear).

I do understand that people like build locking though.

I’d prefer it if they didn’t lock, but I wouldn’t mind terribly if they did lock.

They’ve said for boss encounters in Raids you will be in combat once they’ve aggro’d til they die (or you wipe), so no switching or regen after the pull.

Build Locking

Posted by: kankanKk.2748

kankanKk.2748

Build locking is not limit your role or play style, it allow you to play difference build and difference role at difference attempt.
Currently, everyone running same optimized build and swap on every fight, everyone are meta and clone.
If build is unlocking, everyone will swap to condi build on condi counter, tanky build on tanky counter, its not fun.
You are not doing raid once but weekly doing same thing same strategy.
But yeah, i dont think anet will change it because if you want build locking you can just play with your friends and dont swap your build then.

Build Locking

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

And what’s so bad about changing your build midway through?

Don’t like it, you don’t have to do it.

And when people choose to not do it, there won’t be any complaining from anyone else about us not doing it… right?

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Build Locking

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

And what’s so bad about changing your build midway through?

Don’t like it, you don’t have to do it.

And when people choose to not do it, there won’t be any complaining from anyone else about us not doing it… right?

Thats up to the people you play with, forums can’t answer that.

Build Locking

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Say bye-bye to build locking.

Build roles are what you do at a character level. Things like what weapons, utility skills, traits, and even armor you choose to bring to a fight. Some encounters are going to push you to try different weapons you rarely use, some are going to challenge you to select traits you haven’t considered equipping before, and some encounters may even require a member of your group to dust off that toughness gear to bulk up and tank some heavy hits to protect the condition-build players in the back. This is just a tiny sample of the types of build roles we want to push as a core part of Guild Wars 2 dynamic combat.

https://www.guildwars2.com/de/news/designing-challenging-content/

Technically, this doesn’t explicitly say there won’t be build locking, just that some encounters might require you to build differently. You could still be locked within the raid.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Build Locking

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

People want to do everything, therefore they don’t want builds locked.

If less classes can do everything, more classes can fill those roles, but hey stack your 10 Ele’s it’s going to go that way.

Build Locking

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

I’d say NO to build locking. If you die horribly during a raid, you have to ask yourself what you’re doing wrong. Then you revise your build, tweak it and try to beat the boss again. Why should there be a clunky mechanic to make one go out of raid every time to change the build? This could lead up to leaving and re-entering the raid for dozens of times for no good reason. Not to mention if there are multiple hard bosses during one raid. If you want to change your build for the second boss you need to do the first one all over again.

Build Locking

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

Build locking as a permanent thing is a horrible idea, given there could be balance changes down the road.

Now one thing that would be interesting is a lock build mode once you leave the raid lobby, dungeon lobby, or whatever the start area of the instance is. If you do lock you get an extra reward.

Thing is, some people enjoy this merry-go-round build swapping mid instance. Personally I hate it. It just means I need to lug around more gear…and rather than saying “ok we need to change tactics on this boss its not working” you end up going “sigh which builds do we need to do this now…”

I think its more a personal option based on tastes, but I didn’t like the whole “figure out the builds needed” aspect of other games that had build swapping built into dungeon content. Lot of times it had me playing something I found boring just because it worked.