Buy the expansion with gems?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lebensbaum.9216

Lebensbaum.9216

I say yes.

It would probably make the price of gems in gold go through the roof, so Anet would still get their monies as people would rush to buy gems to sell for gold.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Maybe after a while after it’s been released, definitely not soon.

Posted by: Tayledras.1604

Tayledras.1604

I’ve had this thought as well. Maybe six months to a year (more likely year) after launch…but definitely not at release. To many people like me with permanent surplus stores of gold-conversion gems. They need to make their bank on this…best way is though digital distribution sales and box releases for real money.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

Anet has already stated it will not be available to purchase with gems. Whether it becomes available as an option later is hard to say, but at least at first everyone will have to purchase it without gems.

edit: here is the link https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HOT-purchased-in-game-with-gems/first#post4867488

(edited by Ranatoa.4869)

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Anet has already stated it will not be available to purchase with gems. Whether it becomes available as an option later is hard to say, but at least at first everyone will have to purchase it without gems.

edit: here is the link https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HOT-purchased-in-game-with-gems/first#post4867488

What will most likely happen is that you can upgrade the game later with gems, like it is for the base game.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Base game? Probably not, maybe you’d be able to upgrade from standard edition to heroic or something with gems.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

As they do need to make money no. It is possible maybe a year or so after release but that’s still a huge maybe

Lebensbaum.9216

Someone will still have to buy the gems, so I don’t see how they will make less money by letting us buy the expansion with gems. Granted the number of gems required cost as many € as buying the game directly.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Someone will still have to buy the gems, so I don’t see how they will make less money by letting us buy the expansion with gems. Granted the number of gems required cost as many € as buying the game directly.

The problem is that gems don’t have to be bought by using real money. There are plenty of people in-game right now that could use the gold they have to buy enough gems to cover the cost of an expansion. Anet doesn’t see any of that money since it was all generated in-game. For others, this isn’t the case, but making it cost real money would mean that everyone buys the expansion the same way and that just because somebody has played for 2 years they don’t “get it for free”.

Lebensbaum.9216

Yes, bro, the gems that you buy using gold in-game have been bought with real money by someone somewhere down the road. They are not just created out of thin air when converting gold to gems. Gems are only created when bought with real money. The gold/gem conversion is an EXCHANGE. That’s why the gold/gem price ratio is constantly changing. If more people want to sell gems for gold, the price for gems in gold decreases. If more people want to buy gems with gold, the price increases.

(edited by Lebensbaum.9216)

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Yeah, bro, the gems that you buy using gold in-game have been bought with real money by someone else somewhere down the road. They are not just created when converting gold to gems. It’s an EXCHANGE. That’s why the gold/gem price ratio is constantly changing. If more people want to sell gems for gold, the price for gems in gold decreases. If more people want to buy gems with gold, the price increases.

Alright, look at it this way then. They want everyone to buy the expansion with the exact same currency because interms of the expansion, offering a different method of payment would result in certain people being able to not be able to buy the game with in-game currency and others could. It’s not exclusively about them turning a profit (though they would anyway), but about making it completely fair. The only way to do this is to either charge nothing for it or to charge a fixed fee in real world money, like how they do with the initial purchase of the game itself.

It doesn’t matter anyway, they’ve already stated that they will not allow the expansion to be purchase with gems. You buy in-game items with gems, not the game itself. Buying the deluxe edition after the fact is essentially just buying the items you would have gotten, since gameplay doesn’t change.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People are aware that if they would allow buying the expansion with gems the gold to gem transfer would be more or less destroyed for quite some time, right?
The price would be so extremely high so that no one would really be able to use it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

People are aware that if they would allow buying the expansion with gems the gold to gem transfer would be more or less destroyed for quite some time, right?
The price would be so extremely high so that no one would really be able to use it.

I think it’d be an interesting experiment. I mean if you could buy 1000 gold for $10 worth of gems (800), I bet a LOT of people would do it to get legendaries and other items like that, which might offset the huge increase in gold/gem ratio that would result if they put HoT in the gem store.

Edit: Err… changed decline to increase.

(edited by Nevets Crimsonwing.5271)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Not gonna happen.

I guarantee this project was green lighted with a solid projection of revenue number and selling it via gems makes that number impossible to calculate (or estimate accurately).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances