Crashes, Crashes, and more Crashes

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Angelina.6340

Angelina.6340

As the title states yes this will be about HOT crashes that happen so often that i’m really not enjoying anything anymore. It’s just ridiculous to do hours long events like DS and crash right before the boss is dead. I have crashed there several times now and now only,on Tarir happens on daily basis and also in SIlverwastes .I am really getting sick of it!
I understand it’s a new expansion and there are issues but this is way too much!
You can’t enjoy anything when you crash every time you try to do a meta event…and there are plenty other with the same issues. Will these crashes ever be fixed???!!! So far the future doesn’t look bright at all!

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

try gw2 graphic setting lowest? uncheck all can be uncheck? set none for all can be set none?

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Send in bug reports, you can do it in game. Seems like not to many people are having this issue, and Arenanet is not going to be able to fix it unless they get good information and able to recreate what is happening in order to fix it. A friend of mine was having an issue shortly after the game released, he sent in a bug report though the game, and he ended up getting an email from Arenanet asking for more info from him, some log files, dxdiag, and then a patch came a little bit later and fixed the bug.

So do your due diligence in reporting it through the proper channels to help them get if fixed.

Angelina.6340

Send in bug reports, you can do it in game. Seems like not to many people are having this issue, and Arenanet is not going to be able to fix it unless they get good information and able to recreate what is happening in order to fix it. A friend of mine was having an issue shortly after the game released, he sent in a bug report though the game, and he ended up getting an email from Arenanet asking for more info from him, some log files, dxdiag, and then a patch came a little bit later and fixed the bug.

So do your due diligence in reporting it through the proper channels to help them get if fixed.

I am reporting every crash since HOT was released…that doesn’t seem to help so far.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I am reporting every crash since HOT was released…that doesn’t seem to help so far.

The expansion has only been out for 1 week. Bug squashing can take more than that.

Angelina.6340

Oh and about the graphics…i play with the same settings since 2 years now,my PC had a lot more upgrades since then and i have never had this kind of crashes until HOT.It clearly is a HOT related issue and i am NOT the only one with it.I have a very big guild and many many ppl complain about the same crashes i have.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

It doesn’t matter if you’re running on a potato or a NASA supercomputer, a 32-bit client will cap out at 4 gigs of memory and crash when it tries to go over. The only thing you can do on your end is to cut down on things like texture detail and character model rendering and make sure to let your game patch fully before playing in areas that tend to push that limit.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

It doesn’t matter if you’re running on a potato or a NASA supercomputer, a 32-bit client will cap out at 4 gigs of memory and crash when it tries to go over. The only thing you can do on your end is to cut down on things like texture detail and character model rendering and make sure to let your game patch fully before playing in areas that tend to push that limit.

That’s would explain why I don’t know what all this talk about crashing is about, I’m running the 64bit Version of Win7 and forgot about the limitations of 32bit.

Posted by: Sikil.9817

Sikil.9817

That’s not how it works, the GW2 client is a 32 bit executable and thus is limited to 4GB of address space (I.e. around 3GB of memory actually usable by itself, I believe) even on a 64 bit OS.

I too have been getting semi frequent crashes. Almost all of them in Auric Basin, typically when the action is busy. I’ve been sending the bug reports, of course.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Seems like not to many people are having this issue

Well considering i’ve seen 10 threads on crashing in the last 2 hours alone I would say it is a very common problem, especially in DS.

I crashed out of 2 maps today, wasting almost 4 hours of my time.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

I’m on Win7 64-bit with plenty of RAM. having same issue as OP. I have crashed more in last week than in the 3 yrs playing the game.

There is an issue on their side. Constant crashing before or during events will become frustrating. I quit Defiance because of this. It is no fun playing a game you enjoy but being hindered by game crashes.

They have already confirmed that there are issues for them to fix. They have tried in two separate patches. but it is still an issue for many of us. And yes, I send in crash reports when asked. but many of my crashes do not – just locks up my machine. And I have reported this as well in the bug forum.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

That’s would explain why I don’t know what all this talk about crashing is about, I’m running the 64bit Version of Win7 and forgot about the limitations of 32bit.

But have you played long enough within HoT to, for example, complete the day/night meta twice while actively participating? The more your client loads, the higher your chances of crashing becomes. OOMing has always been a problem with GW2 due it being a 32-bit program, but it was just far more unlikely prior to HoT unless you were maxing everything.

That’s not how it works, the GW2 client is a 32 bit executable and thus is limited to 4GB of address space (I.e. around 3GB of memory actually usable by itself, I believe) even on a 64 bit OS.

It’s even less if you have a 32-bit OS and from my experience GW2 is now running right on that edge, which is likely why some people are crashing a few minutes in (on 32-bit).

Unless there is a leak/bug causing it, unfortunately a fix won’t simply happen. Eventually, they’ll be forced to make a 64-bit client, otherwise they’ll need to reduce the quality of the game (more generic models, culling and a reduced draw distance for example). They can also simply ignore the problem and implement the ability to rejoin the map. If party members can do it, surely they can just reserve a bit more room (they already reserve room for party joiners) for crashes and have the client automatically reconnect to the last map ID if the client wasn’t cleanly shutdown.

Posted by: Malevo.1806

Malevo.1806

Fix four kittening kitten ANet. I’m tired of crashing and being kicked from a map with good progress. Either you need to have a system that reserves your spot of fix your kittening crashes. This is getting fidiculous that I can’t even play DS without your kitten crashing.

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

I have had a fair amount crashes as well, usually during a boss fight or in the mega laser event in the new wvw borderlands. Was never an issue pre-HoT.

CCCP….

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

The expansion has only been out for 1 week. Bug squashing can take more than that.

DEV confirmed issue has existed since launch. They’ve been “working” on it for three years.

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Stopped crashing when I set the graphics to lowest possible (select Best Performance in the preset dropdown). I also relaunch the game before starting long event chains like Dragon’s Stand or Auric Basin.

Posted by: darkm.4839

darkm.4839

I have never crashed once in Guild Wars 2…

… Until the release of Heart of Thorns.

Now I appear to crash at least once an hour.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Some dev posted on reddit that they are aware of the problem. It’s getting totally out of hand. Any length of time on a new map and you’re going to crash.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

The game seem to crash when set to high graphic which I assume because the client exceed 4gb memory which 32bit exe is limited to. I didn’t confirm this yet though.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Until the crashes are fixed I would avoid Dragon’s Stand altogether unless you’re just farming xp and don’t mind losing progress. And for the other map’s meta events, always close the game and restart it before starting those events. This’ll increase the odds of making it through the event before crashing.

Since HoT came out I crash after about an hour of play on the new maps. I now restart my game before doing any major event to save myself a lot of grief later on.

Fluffball.8307

On the bright side, it’s getting people to team up more, since everyone knows they are going to crash and want back in the same map…

Posted by: Drox.4562

Drox.4562

The crashing ever since the expansion hit has been crazy. Crashed one time so hard it wiped by wallpaper from my desktop. It’s to the point where I expect crashes at certain points in my gametime.

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

Seems like not to many people are having this issue

Well considering i’ve seen 10 threads on crashing in the last 2 hours alone I would say it is a very common problem, especially in DS.

I crashed out of 2 maps today, wasting almost 4 hours of my time.

I learned to join party’s after my 1st crash. If your in a grp, your good.

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

Fix four kittening kitten ANet. I’m tired of crashing and being kicked from a map with good progress. Either you need to have a system that reserves your spot of fix your kittening crashes. This is getting fidiculous that I can’t even play DS without your kitten crashing.

Join a party and make them aware it’s in case of crashing… Why don’t people try communicating in an online game..

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

I’ve been crashing exclusively in DS, during the meta event. Everytime I attempt it, I crash at least once.
A few times I’ve been lucky enough to get back in the map, but most times I’m not that lucky.
It wouldn’t be such a big issue if the game reserved you a spot for like 10 minutes after crashing. But no, you crash, you lose everything. Fix this ASAP please.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

dragon stand is unplayable,i was in a group of 5 last night 4 of them crashed and could not get back,i crashed 30 mins latter and also could not get back on the same map.this is a disgrace.in any other industry anet would be out of business. Pay for a high end pc and have to turn settings down to play this untested junk.fix your game anet or start with the refunds.

(edited by eldrin.6471)

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

I’m having the same trouble as OP.

I’ve had more crashes this week than in the 3 years I’m playing GW2. I can play any ‘heavy’ game (like Witcher 3) on high settings with no problems whatsoever.

Reporting every crash I had sofar (if they let me, sometimes the box to report just disssapears), this is getting really frustrating. I’m constantly loosing progress in events as Silverwaste. And I haven’t even started to explore the new maps yet.. I’ve only been enjoying the Halloween events and some Silverwaste for the guild Halls.

Like I said I NEVER had any problems with crashing until after HoT. This is an issue on Anet site. I hope they fix it soon!!

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

(edited by shaquinna.2869)

Posted by: NoodllZ.8376

NoodllZ.8376

As the title states yes this will be about HOT crashes that happen so often that i’m really not enjoying anything anymore. It’s just ridiculous to do hours long events like DS and crash right before the boss is dead. I have crashed there several times now and now only,on Tarir happens on daily basis and also in SIlverwastes .I am really getting sick of it!
I understand it’s a new expansion and there are issues but this is way too much!
You can’t enjoy anything when you crash every time you try to do a meta event…and there are plenty other with the same issues. Will these crashes ever be fixed???!!! So far the future doesn’t look bright at all!

Do you by chance have the autoloot mastery on? because I know that was causing a few people to crash.

Posted by: GrizzlyTank.3145

GrizzlyTank.3145

Only crash i have ever had so far is the guild upgrade/guild menu crash. And one disconnect on teq. Allthough i’m playing on the lowest settings outside of texture and unit count.

(edited by GrizzlyTank.3145)

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Only crash i have ever had so far is the guild upgrade/guild menu crash. And one disconnect on teq. Allthough i’m playing on the lowest sexxings outside of texture and unit count.

Which has probably saved you from having crashes. Most people getting OOM error stop getting it when they turn graphics down to potato quality.

The sad part is a lot of the people having crashes have gaming systems the blow away the minimum requirements of every modern game and crush GW2’s requirements. A lot of us don’t like having to play the game at anything lower than max settings because our hardware can handle it. If Anet can’t fix the issue we will always have a crash looming in the background if we want to play a good looking game and do large events at the same time.

That is a good way to drive away potential customers too.

(edited by hazenvirus.8154)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I had more crashes yesterday alone than I’d had in the entire three years before HoT launched. So frustrating. Sent the report in every time it crashed.

Sometimes I was just walking around in LA. Sometimes mid event. Sometimes I just pulled up the map or inventory or guild panel. There’s no rhyme or reason to the crashes and it is incredibly frustrating.

Angelina.6340

Do you by chance have the autoloot mastery on? because I know that was causing a few people to crash.[/quote]

No,i don’t have that yet.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

The only thing my OOM crashes have in common is that I’ve been playing for a while when they happen. I’m pretty sure there is a leak. VB seems to be the worst by far.

I’ve started pre-emptively re-launching the game every hour or so.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It doesn’t matter if you’re running on a potato or a NASA supercomputer, a 32-bit client will cap out at 4 gigs of memory and crash when it tries to go over.

Which the application should prevent from happening (this almost never happens in other 32bit games, for example, because there are safeguards against that). Too bad Anet programmers forgot to make such safeguards at the game creation, and even though the problem has been known for at least a year, didn’t bother to add them later.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

I crash a lot more in WvW compare to PvE maps, but regardless, crashes are way more frequent than before. I hope this is high on ANet’s priority of bug fix for the next game patch.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Im crashing like a madman in DS but not that much in other zones. Maybe thst zone is less optimized. I refuse to run potato graphics tho

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Razaac.7834

Razaac.7834

I did 2 runs in DS and both times i got till finishing the dragon. Both times my game crashed or dc-ed.
Running win7 64 bit, 8GB RAM and with settings on medium.
I never had issues before HoT but since then it happens daily and in the DS map meta event and also had it a few times with the meta event in Auric Basin.
Its indeed frustrating to work for something for a few hours and then getting kicked out and now to be able to get back in the same map.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

just turn settings down as low as possible.game looks like crap but it does cut down crashes.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

ANet needs to address this crash problem..after HoT I crash like 5 or 6 times a day (once per hour in average)…

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

For every crash a few players quit the game for the day and the new maps become empty…playing at minimum graphic settings is not an option…if I want to play Minecraft I do not need to buy HoT expac.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Sikil.9817

Sikil.9817

I had all settings at max and was getting a lot of crashes in Auric Basin and sometimes in the other HoT maps when things got busy. I turned textures and character model counts down to Medium this evening and completed an Octovine event without a crash; the GW2 exe never went above 2.5GB usage.

I know, more data required, but it’s feeling promising.

The difference in graphics quality is barely noticeable.

Fluffball.8307

I crash a lot more often than I send the reports in, because you generally crash at the final boss of a meta event, and their bug report takes AGES to send in. I hope anet has a way to track that and aren’t just relying on crash reports. I crash 4 times more often than I’m able to wait for that thing to email itself to anet. If not, it’s several times worse of a problem than indicated by crash reports.

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

I’ve crashed out of Tequatl the past two days running, when I have never, ever had a problem previously. It’s very frustrating because A) I run a turret and that messes up the map when one just dissapears, and I get punted to failing overflow and miss out on loot. I’ve done Teq daily for months now on this gaming desktop, and this is definitely alarming. The news maps I can understand the OOM thing, but in Old Tyria? This seems a little out of the norm.

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

Its not the graphics setting, I’m sorry. If lowering it works for you that is great. I would believe this if the only places I crashed was HoT maps, but I am crashing everywhere and only on vital moments. Post Breach on SW, Last Burn on Teq, Zerg v Zerg EoTM. I’m having crashes in places I have played just fine for over the year I’ve owned this game. The old content I’m like whatever, but its infuriating in the new content to invest this much time into a map only to crash and reload into an empty unsuccessful map. I get demoralized and have to go do something else rather than start over for another hour and a half to probably crash again. I love the concept of the new maps, I love the meta chains, and I love the time you have to invest…. but please fix the crashes, and implement a process where you’re spot is saved for at least 3-4 minutes before someone else can get in on the map you were unluckily DCed from.

Astralporing.1957

Its not the graphics setting, I’m sorry. If lowering it works for you that is great. I would believe this if the only places I crashed was HoT maps, but I am crashing everywhere and only on vital moments.

It doesn’t have anything to do with new maps per se. It has a lot to do with the changes to graphics they introduced in the HoT patch (they tinkered with sfx visuals, for example). And you crash on vital moments because there are either big animated bosses there, or a lot of other players using a lot of skills, or both.

Just check if what you get are Out Of Memory errors – if they are, it’s graphics.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Crashes ceased after a couple of updates. Game runs rather smoothly now.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Arcane.1526

Arcane.1526

It seems that the game doesn’t utilise VRAM, maybe they should increase the graphics card requirement of the game similar to GTA V on pc in that you need a minimum of 4gb VRAM to run it on highest settings without issues

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Well yes… the whole Pact crashed in the Maguuma Jungle, and you see often choppers crashing around. The whole expansion is one giant crash site.

OH.

You where talking about client crashes. Mmm. Never got 1. Maybe lower you settings? Upgrade your PC? Might help…

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Astralporing.1957

You where talking about client crashes. Mmm. Never got 1. Maybe lower you settings? Upgrade your PC? Might help…

OOM is actually the high end machines error. You don’t get it on low spec pc’s (for example, your pc needs to actually have over 4 gigs of memory for the game to be able to go over 32bit limits. The system would throttle it otherwise. The same with low spec GPUs).

Actions, not words.

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

Well yes… the whole Pact crashed in the Maguuma Jungle, and you see often choppers crashing around. The whole expansion is one giant crash site.

OH.

Have you even read this thread, or are you trolling?

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]