Can beta server run early without staff?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The BWE runs for exact 48 hours. This means two full days. So no matter where you are in the world and what times you sleep work and play. You will get 2 full nights, 2 full mornings, 2 full aternoons and 2 full evenings to play.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

At what time does it start in GMT anyway?

7pm

Thanks. So that would be 9pm (21:00) for me since I’m in GMT +2

You are not going to be able to play anyways, you are the forbidden one from playing =P

Wow it actually took over 3 years for a joke about my name to appear :P

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m a US player… and I work nights, including weekends, 11PM-7AM. I will be either sleeping or working through most of this beta. I will play when I can though. Seriously, even for those in the US, there is no way they can make this work around everybody.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Is there any phrase more overused on the Internet than “a slap in the face”? I can’t even take you seriously after that.

lol

yes , i think the phrase ‘’ Can we all take a moment for ….. ’’ is more or equally overused

’Suggestion: ’ …that one-word phrase makes me /facepalm the instant I see it >.<

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Is there any phrase more overused on the Internet than “a slap in the face”? I can’t even take you seriously after that.

lol

yes , i think the phrase ‘’ Can we all take a moment for ….. ’’ is more or equally overused

’Suggestion: ’ …that one-word phrase makes me /facepalm the instant I see it >.<

Same goes for the word ‘entitled’. Some people should really look up what that word actually means. I /facepalm as soon as that word gets tossed around. For some people it seems to be the default reaction to any form of criticism, wether it’s viable or not.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I think Gaile’s response really sums up what’s going on here

The purpose of the test is to get players to play: yes. But it’s also unimplemented content and requires developers being awake and functioning to be able to see feedback as it comes in and information about potentially game breaking bugs as they come in as well. Therefore the time has to be based around the developers, not the players. Besides, it starts in the middle of the work day for Americans and generally after the work day for Europeans. One could argue that EU folks get a better chance at accessing the content than folks in the US. But there are always people who don’t fit into their schedules and it’s impossible to fit the scheduling so everybody can participate.

Once HoT comes out, it will be out permanently and you won’t be constrained by any beta test schedule! I’m more looking forward to the full release tbh

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I partly Disagree with gest of Gaile post (and hey that doens’t happen many times). Wvw at first also had a straight reset for the world. No longer! EU and USA happely. ‘but but server in USA AND USA times our devs present’ doesn’t apply there.

There’s achievements (some seem grindy) that have to be completed in this beta weekend. Yeah achievements are not end of the world but still, americans are definitely handed them a 3 day event (while eu is 2 day event).

Some people hoped for beta weekend and were dissapointed now you push it out of EU cititizens time.

Last: Even the oh so mighty devs cannot 24/7 watch the events. They HAVE TO SLEEP. Conclusion, playing during peak interest hour will yield best moments for them to ‘engage in the test/change where necessary’. But here comes the but. The first evening is a bust on that part already cause no EU presence (wich means low test attendance), And something tells me you people ‘sleep’ already then.

Ruby often says during ‘Point of Interest’ omg it’s almost 5 pm already, we gonna have to cut short. The start of Beta weekend is 3-5 hours later wich even for working people in NA is weird. Starting it early would make more sense in the way of ‘we are devs and want to be there during the beta’. The weekend starts right AFTER The dev hours, not much sense there doesn’kitten

Sorry for being negative, but to much stuff doesn’t make sense here for it to not be discussed.

To end on positive note, it started 9 pm, not to bad. Thanks for that Anet.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

For some people, everthing is a “slap in the face.” Sigh!! Such drama queens!

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

Sleep? What is sleep?

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

yea…. when I see this as a thread title I typically don’t go in unless i’m bored and want some funny things to read. Guess what…. im bored!

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

yea…. when I see this as a thread title I typically don’t go in unless i’m bored and want some funny things to read. Guess what…. im bored!

Just a lil bit more and beta starts! yaaaaay!!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I partly Disagree with gest of Gaile post (and hey that doens’t happen many times). Wvw at first also had a straight reset for the world. No longer! EU and USA happely. ‘but but server in USA AND USA times our devs present’ doesn’t apply there.

There’s achievements (some seem grindy) that have to be completed in this beta weekend. Yeah achievements are not end of the world but still, americans are definitely handed them a 3 day event (while eu is 2 day event).

Some people hoped for beta weekend and were dissapointed now you push it out of EU cititizens time.

Last: Even the oh so mighty devs cannot 24/7 watch the events. They HAVE TO SLEEP. Conclusion, playing during peak interest hour will yield best moments for them to ‘engage in the test/change where necessary’. But here comes the but. The first evening is a bust on that part already cause no EU presence (wich means low test attendance), And something tells me you people ‘sleep’ already then.

Ruby often says during ‘Point of Interest’ omg it’s almost 5 pm already, we gonna have to cut short. The start of Beta weekend is 3-5 hours later wich even for working people in NA is weird. Starting it early would make more sense in the way of ‘we are devs and want to be there during the beta’. The weekend starts right AFTER The dev hours, not much sense there doesn’kitten

Sorry for being negative, but to much stuff doesn’t make sense here for it to not be discussed.

The beta weekend starts in the middle of the work day for the developers, not at the end of their day. Also, you have no idea how they are conducting the beta testing. It is a safe assumption they are going to have people monitoring everything from the beginning to the end during the test, they will just do it in shifts.

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Because right now the message seems to be that ANET does care if EU plays the beta or not. Seriously, how much feedback from EU is lost because you overlap the start and ends times with the times that people want to sleep.

Can you quote where they stated this, or anything like it?

it is unfortunate that players think so much of themselves, that they feel a staff of employees should be forced to shift their sleep schedules and life schedules, just to suit them specifically.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I work rotating swing shifts, and the last beta and this one fall on the weekends I work my 12 hour night shifts. I am not self centered enough to complain that they should change their lives or the beta schedule to suit me.

What do you do for a living. I would love for you to share that, so we may critic how you mistreat your customers by not conforming to a self centered subsection.

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

It is a beta event for TESTING! Not for regular game play. This is for the DEV’s benefit not ours. Our benefit will be when the game drops.

Why would the devs from any country not do a beta test during their peak, alert hours? They don’t care what country any of the testers are from. This isn’t a cultural test, it is a game test.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What do you mean that they have to be completed? I suppose if you want those mastery points to carry through to the remaining beta weekends. They also didn’t look that grindy to me with most looking to be completed just by doing the meta chains.

Also, it’s not a 3-day event and the difference between EU and NA, assuming they each get 8 hours of sleep, is only 7 hours. You’re getting upset because of a 7 hour difference because of sleep cycles over a 63 hour beta test. Are you telling me that you’re going to be playing the entire time without any breaks except to sleep?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

The entire reason for the weekend event lasting 3 days despite the “weekend” being 2 days is because of what you’re complaining about. They were nice enough to start it early and end it late just for ya’ll all around the world.

What’s unfair? The event starts when many NA are a work and NA has to go back to work before it ends.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

You are doing them 2 favors:

1.) Testing their game.

2.) You gave them money for a product you know little to nothing about.

You’d think they’d at least have the decency to have EU servers operating at peak EU hours. Oh well. I remember a time when game companies would let you do actual beta tests(and this is what this is)for free because you were helping them in immeasurable ways. Now you pay to do it.

Preorders are another thing. Preorders made sense before digital distribution. You had to ensure that a retailer had a hard copy of a disc or cartridge game at their place of business so you would get to play it when it came out. There were finite copies. With digital it’s an infinite supply. Why do people pre-order? Oh yeah because game companies act like they are doing you a favor by “allowing” you to pay to test their game. It’s a crock of Dolyak feces.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You’d think they’d at least have the decency to have EU servers operating at peak EU hours.

From what I saw on the forums, the beta weekend event went live at 9am Pacific. That’s 4pm in London. How is that not prime time for EU?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

1.) Testing their game.

You’d think they’d at least have the decency to have EU servers operating at peak EU hours. Oh well. I remember a time when game companies would let you do actual beta tests(and this is what this is)for free because you were helping them in immeasurable ways. Now you pay to do it.

I’m confused about this part. they are an American company operating on the east coast and the game is one client. The accounts are stored in 2 data centers, but the client is the same for both. It’s not one client for one and another for the other. How would they start up at a different time in one part of the client and another time at another part? It’s a single unit client.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

jheryn.8390

1.) Testing their game.

Preorders are another thing. Preorders made sense before digital distribution. You had to ensure that a retailer had a hard copy of a disc or cartridge game at their place of business so you would get to play it when it came out. There were finite copies. With digital it’s an infinite supply. Why do people pre-order? Oh yeah because game companies act like they are doing you a favor by “allowing” you to pay to test their game. It’s a crock of Dolyak feces.

Um… Sorry, but no.

No one is forcing you to beta test or pre-order anything.

Pre-ordering has nothing to do with making sure you have a copy. Pre-ordering is a revenue generating venue for the company. It is for their benefit, not yours.

Pre-ordering in this case also gives them a cache of people to draw on that fits well into the number of people that they would like to have testing at once.

Again, no-one is forcing you to do anything and it is a crazy claim saying that they are doing you a “favor” by “allowing” us to beta test. There is no truth to that at all.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Please note: Our studio — and that means our entire development team — is located in the United States, in the Pacific Time Zone. We work very hard to synchronize as many things as possible, but beta weekend events are best organized around the times that our development team will be able to devote as many hours as possible to testing, in-game observations, forum tracking, feedback reviews, and even possible on-the-fly changes. (The latter is not likely, but it has been known to happen.)

In no way do we want anyone to feel distanced by the hours chosen, and we do apologize if the hours are somewhat inconvenient for someone (although with a test that runs for a couple of days, surely not all hours will prove to be inaccessible ). For practical purposes, the hours selected are the best possible for the team developing this game for you, and we ask for your understanding of that fact.

This is not a preview, early start, or sneak peek. It’s a test. <— said in my Admiral Akbar voice, and if you get the reference, kudos to you!

I wonder though, don’t you guys have weekends off? I am kinda worried about the expansion releasing on a Friday, because if there is any critical stuff that needs fixing asap, a weekend sounds like a time where patching stuff isn’t as easy.

In my experience most jobs are done when they need to be done, regardless of what the hours are supposed to be. In theory my work hours are 9am – 5:30pm Monday – Friday. Today I’m working 9am – 10:30pm. Next week I’ll be working Saturday and Sunday and off Monday and Tuesday.

My guess is it’ll be much the same for Anet when the expansion releases. The people who need to work that weekend will do, and then they’ll have time off later on (or before) when there’s more flexibility.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The Beta Weekend times are the same as the previous two weekend events.

Also, regarding the term “A slap in the face” – I just took another shot of the GW2 Forum Drinking Game. Raises a glass to JT

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

count is now up to 3594!

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

1.) Testing their game.

Um… Sorry, but no.

Pre-ordering has nothing to do with making sure you have a copy. Pre-ordering is a revenue generating venue for the company. It is for their benefit, not yours.

Pre-ordering in this case also gives them a cache of people to draw on that fits well into the number of people that they would like to have testing at once.

Again, no-one is forcing you to do anything and it is a crazy claim saying that they are doing you a “favor” by “allowing” us to beta test. There is no truth to that at all.

Go back and re-read my post. I am saying the players are doing ArenaNet 2 favors. You are disagreeing with me because you misunderstand what I am saying but we actually agree.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

jheryn.8390

1.) Testing their game.

Um… Sorry, but no.

Go back and re-read my post. I am saying the players are doing ArenaNet 2 favors. You are disagreeing with me because you misunderstand what I am saying but we actually agree.

I did and I don’t think so. Your paragraphs on pre-ordering and paying to beta test define those two “favors” unless you are purposefully contradicting yourself.

Trust me when I say I agree with nothing you said about pre-ordering and paying to beta test.