Can i give away the core game?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ShadowPalm.5160

ShadowPalm.5160

I already owned gw2, and i just recently purchased HoT so i was wondering if there was any way to give just the core game to my girlfriend?

Posted by: TheFantasticGuy.7206

TheFantasticGuy.7206

By the ToS, no.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Isn’t the core game free now?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Isn’t the core game free now?

The limited core is.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Nope. HoT is a bundled item now with the full game. She would need to make the purchase on her account for HoT to get the core game.

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

I already owned gw2, and i just recently purchased HoT so i was wondering if there was any way to give just the core game to my girlfriend?

The price paid for HoT is for HoT regardless of owning GW2 prior to the HoT or not. This is why there was much anger over the set price of HoT for all of the veteran GW2 players.

Hopefully you bought HoT during the 50% off sale which would put its price at a reasonable place of value based on content.

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

I’m sure you could find someone selling an old gw2 base account… But I’m sure that’s against the ToS soooooo….

Posted by: ShadowPalm.5160

ShadowPalm.5160

ah that is kind of dumb.. thanks anyway guys.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The reason you can’t give away the Core game is that purchasing Heart of Thorns only provides one Serial Key. You can use that key to create a new account, or use the key to ‘upgrade’ an existing account.

It’s perfectly fine to give away a Serial Key that has not been registered; it’s not against the ToS.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

The reason you can’t give away the Core game is that purchasing Heart of Thorns only provides one Serial Key. You can use that key to create a new account, or use the key to ‘upgrade’ an existing account.

It’s perfectly fine to give away a Serial Key that has not been registered; it’s not against the ToS.

It’s not against the rules, but it isn’t necessarily a good idea to buy the code from a third-party. Unless you buy an unopened, physical copy or get it from Steam, there really isn’t a way to find out if the code was used or not until you enter it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s not against the rules, but it isn’t necessarily a good idea to buy the code from a third-party. Unless you buy an unopened, physical copy or get it from Steam, there really isn’t a way to find out if the code was used or not until you enter it.

Steam doesn’t sell Guild Wars 2.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Who said anything about purchasing from a third-party? A Serial Key is sent from ArenaNet to anyone purchasing through the official game site.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

You can just buy an old box somewhere. But the best would be you bought the HOT sale. I bought a 2nd account and it was a great offer. So much game for 22.50€ is really a bargain.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

@OP

The only way you could achieve what you ask without another purchase is to give your non-HoT account to your GF and then start afresh with the HoT+Core account you have just bought. Not ideal as you will lose all your progress.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

@OP

The only way you could achieve what you ask without another purchase is to give your non-HoT account to your GF and then start afresh with the HoT+Core account you have just bought. Not ideal as you will lose all your progress.

But that would be against the ToS, so I would not recommend it.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

Forcing us to essentially rebuy the base game since it was bundled in with HoT was a really kittenty move. They should have sold HoT just the expansion for half the price it was to those of us who already owned the base game. Would have made the mose sense, instead ANet decided to screw over the people that got them to this level of success to begin with.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Forcing us to essentially rebuy the base game since it was bundled in with HoT was a really kittenty move. They should have sold HoT just the expansion for half the price it was to those of us who already owned the base game. Would have made the mose sense, instead ANet decided to screw over the people that got them to this level of success to begin with.

This position makes no sense to me. Games lose value over time. The base game cost less and less over time. It was on sale for as little as $10 back before the bundling announcement. That was from ANet. It may have been less from a 3rd party for all I know. No one ever seems to start slinging accusations about “screwing” customers when that happens. Attach one product to the other, though, and the kitten starts.

I’ve also yet to see or hear of a single complaint about other games bundling prior content. I bought bundled vanilla WoW and BC for ~ the launch price of BC before Wrath hit. Was that “screwing customers?”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You can find 150 pages (currently, merging may grow it more) of discussion on this very point at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/first

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s like people don’t even play games. I don’t get it.

I paid about $200 for all four original Guild Wars titles. 2 years later they were $70 for all of them. That’s like saying I overspent $130. I didn’t. I got two years of playing them.

The core game, with restrictions, is now free. Free means anyone can play and download it. The price of the expansion itself is $50. That’s the price. There’s no monthly fee here. You’re not paying for the game, paying for an expansion and paying $15 a month.

So what are you really complaining about. Who did Anet hurt by giving us a couple of years of content without a monthly fee before finally charging for an expansion?

Nor is the cash shop pay to win like many free to play games. Nor does this game offer a “optional” subscription which is really required to do something.

Honestly I don’t know if people realize how well they have it. Go play Archeage or BDO, or any game with a sub. Go look at what you cant’ do with an optional sub in SWToR.

People will complain about anything.

Posted by: Moderator

We are closing this thread as it has run its course.