Can't get anywhere with HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: The Colon of Jack.2158

The Colon of Jack.2158

I can’t get anywhere with HoT. Every event, champion, veteran, etc, I end up dying. Changed everything about my warrior to toughness, vitality, and power (all survivability) , and I’m still dying. Unless I’m running around with a zerg, I can’t get anywhere, can’t level masteries, can’t get hero points, can’t progress in story mode. Magumma is handing me my butt and I’m not having fun. Saw someone suggest doing the Tyria masteries instead of Magumma. Thoughts?

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Better to equip defensive utilities and interupts while keeping your zerk set I found – murdering fast means they can’t hit you back. Endure Pain, interupts and options in defensive traitlines should give you tools to fight (also consider what weapons you’re using – burst and defense and mobility are pretty good here).

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

You might want to checkout http://dulfy.net/

First thing I did.
1. Do the Story content, this can be done solo.

2. Use some speed Skills/Boosters to just running past everything to explore the map and uncover all of the way points. While completing the Mastery for Gliding and Mushrooms.

3. Then go back to pickup POI’s and Mastery Points.

4. Join groups for events and Hero points.

Most of the Events are group content, use the LFG tool and/or join a Guild.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You have a problem somewhere, you need to find out what it is. You’re doing something wrong, and I don’t meant that as an insult. Like are you dying to condis? Do you need to take an invuln? Are you in melee when you need to be ranging something? Etc. I’m online right now if you want to wander around the jungle and maybe I can spot what you’re messing up.

The Colon of Jack.2158

First thing I did.

2. Use some speed Skills/Boosters to just running past everything to explore the map and uncover all of the way points. While completing the Mastery for Gliding and Mushrooms.

“Running past everything” LOL! Solo story content. LOL! Other suggestions are good. I think I’ll just have to stick with large groups if I want to experience the content.

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Why are you "lol"ing at solo story. The story is pretty easy to do.

Fluffball.8307

First thing I did.

“Running past everything” LOL! Solo story content. LOL! Other suggestions are good. I think I’ll just have to stick with large groups if I want to experience the content.

You’re wrong. I’m running around in 100% berserker gear and having no troubles at all. What that should tell you is you’re missing something. Like I said, are you dying to condis? There are a lot of condis that will almost insta-kill you. There are direct damage attacks that will insta-kill you. You need to find where your problem is. I’m still up if you want some mentorship (I will not put an apple up though.)

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Number 7 was a bit of a nightmare…

I did it earlier.

There again, I did it on Ranger and you can’t use your weaps, or pet.

You’re just stuck with the egg (movement) abilities.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Are your gears exotic?

Because the only things that kill me are those stupid baby raptors that randomly pop out for no reasons…

And they only kill me if I’m not paying attention, e.g. I’m watching a tv show or daydreaming.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Arcane.1526

Arcane.1526

I run with a meta zerk thief and the only problem I encounter is when I run out of dodge for 5+ modrem snipers in Dragons Stand, or 1 champion sniper because that 1 shots me if I’m not paying attention

My healing comes from crits and Signet of Malice.

Maybe you should take the healing skill that negates all damage into HP (I forget it’s name haven’t played warrior since the last wvw season), take endure pain and run full zerk with great sword and take a rifle or a bow for ranged

(edited by Arcane.1526)

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

My play style in HoT is kinda like playing MGS. Also a lot mobs have high tough but melt pretty quick under condition damages.

Posted by: Eypheha.5831

Eypheha.5831

So, I’m a pretty average player skill wise. But, I’ve leaned not to die. I went into HoT looking for groups so I could learn the land and the creatures. Each of the creatures has a way they attack and you can learn that and use it to your advantage. Some have tells that signal their massive damage attacks and so forth. When you’re in a group, you have time to study their attacks a bit more rather than just trying to survive. And watch what other people do; like when they run and when they attack. There’s probably a good reason even if it’s not fairly obvious.

As was said, find the waypoints first. That’ll help you get around to the events. Do the story. That’ll get you some mastery points. Other mastery points can be soloed (some) while some are much easier in a group. You can hang out at a point and someone usually shows up…often more than one. Same with hero points. Learn to run past stuff using the mushrooms and gliding…and short bursts of invul or protection. Use the terrain to escape. If you can equip a ranged weapon that’ll help. Learn how and when to use it. And learn to dodge and when.

Learn the events. You’ll be grinding those a lot. Once you’ve done them a few times, you’ll know what to avoid and how to attack it. AND events are usually big groups…time for that ranged weapon if you die in melee a lot.

I hope that helps. When I first went into HoT, I thought I was never going to do anything except die magnificently. Now, I very seldom die except when I do stupid stuff…like forget I have to deploy my wings when I jump off something. Mostly it’s pretty fun. It’s also not easy. But, that’s the fun part, I guess.

Good luck!

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Give it time: the start is daunting, you will adapt and find your drive. On the other hand, the maps get demystified pretty fast, but that’s that.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

The Colon of Jack.2158

So, I’m a pretty average player skill wise. But, I’ve leaned not to die. I went into HoT looking for groups so I could learn the land and the creatures. Each of the creatures has a way they attack and you can learn that and use it to your advantage. Some have tells that signal their massive damage attacks and so forth. When you’re in a group, you have time to study their attacks a bit more rather than just trying to survive. And watch what other people do; like when they run and when they attack. There’s probably a good reason even if it’s not fairly obvious.

As was said, find the waypoints first. That’ll help you get around to the events. Do the story. That’ll get you some mastery points. Other mastery points can be soloed (some) while some are much easier in a group. You can hang out at a point and someone usually shows up…often more than one. Same with hero points. Learn to run past stuff using the mushrooms and gliding…and short bursts of invul or protection. Use the terrain to escape. If you can equip a ranged weapon that’ll help. Learn how and when to use it. And learn to dodge and when.

Learn the events. You’ll be grinding those a lot. Once you’ve done them a few times, you’ll know what to avoid and how to attack it. AND events are usually big groups…time for that ranged weapon if you die in melee a lot.

I hope that helps. When I first went into HoT, I thought I was never going to do anything except die magnificently. Now, I very seldom die except when I do stupid stuff…like forget I have to deploy my wings when I jump off something. Mostly it’s pretty fun. It’s also not easy. But, that’s the fun part, I guess.

Good luck!

Thank you! I noticed I was having a better time when more players were logging on in the evening, and I avoided soloing anything. I changed my traits have more survivability. Still running mostly berserker gear, and brawler rune set.

The Colon of Jack.2158

Are your gears exotic?

Because the only things that kill me are those stupid baby raptors that randomly pop out for no reasons…

And they only kill me if I’m not paying attention, e.g. I’m watching a tv show or daydreaming.

Yeah, everything’s exotic, and three of my accessories are ascended.

The Colon of Jack.2158

First thing I did.

You’re wrong. I’m running around in 100% berserker gear and having no troubles at all. What that should tell you is you’re missing something. Like I said, are you dying to condis? There are a lot of condis that will almost insta-kill you. There are direct damage attacks that will insta-kill you. You need to find where your problem is. I’m still up if you want some mentorship (I will not put an apple up though.)

I think I’m terrible at dodging when a lot of stuff is happening, and my timing for popping defensive utilities and heal is off.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Heart of Thorns tends to require much more active use of defensive/utility abilities. Simply switching to Nomad gear doesn’t help, while planning out how to actively deal with threats means you still get by all right with offensive gear.

HoT wants you to get your head in the game and pay close attention. My beta builds turned out to be awful, and I’m using skills I’d never considered before. Stunbreaks matter for the first time in PvE history, and if you don’t have an answer for conditions then you’re going to end up with your face in the ground. A lot. It also really does insist on teamplay in ways the base game never did. Nobody is soloing those godawful champion hero challenges, but because of that you can usually manage to scrape up a group. Follow commander tags, or if you have one of your own throw it up and watch people turn up.

It’s definitely a shock to the system, but once you start getting a grip on the new difficulty curve it’s also a lot more engaging and fun. I still feel a little bit of a vindictive thrill every time I put down one of those @%#!ing Mordrem Snipers (and furthermore, I really want that crazy burnline shot for, say, a future Thief elite spec…), as much because I survived its nonsense as because I eventually killed it.

It’s a good feeling, starting to properly conquer the jungle.

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Understanding enemy mechanics will help as well, certain enemies hit very hard, and others drop aoes that can destroy you if you stand in them. In the first map, among the more dangerous enemies are the mordrem snipers, one of their attacks makes a “line” aoe, and if you stand in it, you’ll probably die. They’re easy to kill though, so id suggest focusing them down, before they have a chance to hit you while you’re looking elsewhere. Same thing with other enemies, pay attention to what they do, which of their attacks hurt the most, etc.

Fluffball.8307

Understanding enemy mechanics will help as well, certain enemies hit very hard, and others drop aoes that can destroy you if you stand in them. In the first map, among the more dangerous enemies are the mordrem snipers, one of their attacks makes a “line” aoe, and if you stand in it, you’ll probably die. They’re easy to kill though, so id suggest focusing them down, before they have a chance to hit you while you’re looking elsewhere. Same thing with other enemies, pay attention to what they do, which of their attacks hurt the most, etc.

This is good advice, paying attention and learning what enemies do will make it a lot easier. Trying to melee those hylek archers that drop poison fields at their feet = dead player unless you have a plan to knock them out or something. I also see people complaining about smokescale’s in their immune fields, when all you need to do is walk 4 feet to the left to get them out of it.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I can’t get anywhere with HoT. Every event, champion, veteran, etc, I end up dying. Changed everything about my warrior to toughness, vitality, and power (all survivability) , and I’m still dying. Unless I’m running around with a zerg, I can’t get anywhere, can’t level masteries, can’t get hero points, can’t progress in story mode. Magumma is handing me my butt and I’m not having fun. Saw someone suggest doing the Tyria masteries instead of Magumma. Thoughts?

I personally have knights armor, but zurker weapons and accessories. Utility skills I use are healing signet, the signet that removes conditions(can’t remember the name right now) berserker stance, and the stance that stops conditions(cant remember that one as well) and signet of rage. I find 90% of the time I can servive most battles, also taking a ranged weapon helps alot.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Going full Soldier is not really a solution since you will prolong the fight (less damage) and that raises the chance of making a (mostly deadly) mistake. You might consider taking one or two pieces of Soldier’s as to not get one-shotted but don’t overdo it.

The trick is the positioning, the reading of enemies (they usually broadcast their special moves), awareness of little target symbols over your head and red circles on the ground, having your TRAITS set properly (more defense, shorter condition duration, etc.), blocking and stunbreakers and well timed dodges.

If you just put on Solderier’s and do a Rurik on them you’re still gonna go down fast.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

(edited by HtFde.3856)

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

One tip I have to offer is, look around and find out which Hero Points are fairly easy, there are a bunch of them that you can solo just fine, and go get those. Also, make sure to get gliding and bouncing mushrooms asap, they are both essential for navigation and earning most of the Hero Points.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

So far I agree. I found it much easier to get through Verdant Brink by playing the story than by open world.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The thing is, you can die a lot in the story, but usually you can rez and continue right where you left off, so it’s no big deal.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Stick with it-it’s not that hard. If anything, these obstacles will help improve your GW2 skills, at least if you pay attention to what’s downing you and how can you build to counteract said things.

That said, grouping up is recommended (and more fun, IMHO), but I disagree you need a “zerg” to proceed or have fun in these maps. Even two people will have a better time than one (not suggesting solo is impossible, because it really isn’t with few exceptions.)

It’s worth mentioning that soloing Champions is usually tagged as “group content”, so you shouldn’t be surprised if they are “too hard”-there are still many Champs that are not easy to solo in “Central Tyria”.

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Stick with it-it’s not that hard. If anything, these obstacles will help improve your GW2 skills, at least if you pay attention to what’s downing you and how can you build to counteract said things.

Does anyone still remember when you actually had repair costs – made you be a bit more careful as well.

Now with the repair cost gone it’s “distance to travel if dead” that adds some incentive to staying alive.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

Keep Shake it Off on constant standby as you will use that a bunch. Also trait for it to trigger automatically. I’m using Soldier’s Gear on my warrior and can stay alive fairly easily with well-timed dodges and Shake it Off.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

I stopped playing HoT areas because of empty maps, just to find myself stucked @ precursor crafting because of bugs. If only fractals had good rewards but nope. And wvw is dead.

You see, it could be worse than dying a couple of times

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Sounds like you should look into getting a guild. To play Guild Wars 2 with.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink