Can we disable the "Fall Scream" in HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cyrix.3740

Cyrix.3740

I noticed that in every video Anet has given us which includes gliders, you have to fall a certain distance to trigger the glider. However, this seems to be the same distance that triggers the “fall scream”. This is incredibly silly and after the first 2 times, also rather annoying. It doesn’t make any sense that your character would scream when they have a glider, let alone KEEP screaming AFTER they start gliding.

I’m hoping Anet will either increase the distance traveled to trigger the scream, or let us turn it off (or even just disable entirely it in glider maps) as it is terribly immersion breaking, and also completely nonsensical.

While it may seem a bit nit-picky, sound is an incredibly important aspect for me, and if left unchanged, may completely ruin the gliding experience for me personally.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

lol?
They keep screaming after the glider is already open?
This sounds funny! haha

But yeah,I guess it would get annoying after the first 2~3 times.

I guess it is just a bug,I think the gliding feature isn’t even finished. I bet they will still finish it before HoT is released,I’m sure the scream problem is something very easy to solve.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I’d suggest that they go with AION’s idea and double-tap spacebar to glide (with the ability to also assign a button to the command), we already double-tap to dodge. That way the game knows what you want to do, as it’s a different command than just jump, and thus it would not trigger the aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaagh scream when you clearly intend to glide.

Edit: I would personally like to have the control of ‘start when you start the jump’ because any lag on a suboptimal connection or machine means you’ll fall that much further because of skill or prompt lag. When loot chests appear, for example, I NEVER get a prompt even when I should, so I just end up having to key mash and hope.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I agree that it is a little annoying to have your character constantly screaming in mortal agony as you hop over rocks and take short falls that don’t even do any perceptible damage. My characters are HEROES, dagnabbit, not whiny crybabies! They should suffer in silence, especially when they aren’t actually suffering at all.

Posted by: juniterio.1245

juniterio.1245

Yes, yes, yes~! I’d much more prefer a pleasant ‘oouh’ or something like that when you start gliding. Screaming just… doesn’t fit.

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

I agree – it would be sensible to disable the scream for characters who have the gliding mastery ability enabled.

Can’t have our heroic character, Commander of the Pact, Slayer of Zhaitan etc, etc, screaming like a little girl every time he jumps off a branch with a glider on his back – lol!

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Cardovillian.2403

Cardovillian.2403

Geronimmmooooooooo!!!!!

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

If my characters are anything like me, they’d be terrified of heights. I think the scream is accurate.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Kuoin.5641

Kuoin.5641

If my characters are anything like me, they’d be terrified of heights. I think the scream is accurate.

They fight monsters 24/7. A little height shouldn’t be a problem.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

We can have phobias! And speaking of odd fears, does anyone else find it strange that the armor repair NPC’s (the few that are left) warn us not to wrestle bears? I mean, we kill dragons. And he’s worried about us tangling with bears. It’s especially odd coming from the Kodan repair NPC’s.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I though it is called the mute button. Could be wrong though.

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

/signed.

15 Charrs.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

While we’re on it, can we also disable other player’s voices?

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Why? People scream on roller coasters and they’re never in any actual danger, why not keep screaming after jumping off a cliff?

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

You are.

Posted by: Krikett.5298

Krikett.5298

Thank you OP for trying to raise awareness about this, I can’t believe there haven’t been more threads on this issue. I play Engi, and use Rifle 5 and EG 4 to get around a lot (those are our only leaps) and every SINGLE time i use either of those skill I get this awful screaming sound from my character. I don’t get it, he’s the one using the skills! More than all of this though, I can’t imagine how aggravating using the glider’s will be if our characters are constantly screaming :/

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

They fight monsters 24/7. A little height shouldn’t be a problem.

There’re people who can be the strongest fighter in the world but afraid of height.
Seriously it’s not uncommon. It has nothing to do with braveness or not.
Also, it is reasonable for human to be fear of height if they know they’d die because of it.

Posted by: Xaton.1902

Xaton.1902

or have them shout in theor own way allonzy

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Effective but not particularly efficient

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

lol?
They keep screaming after the glider is already open?

“AAAAAAAHH!!! SOMEONE GET ME DOWN FROM HERE! WHY DIDN”T ANYONE TELL ME I WOULD BE SO HIGH UP?! SOMEONE HELP!!"

pact soldiers below

“That the commander again?”
“Yeah. He’s afraid of heights.”
“How did he get that rank again?”
“Good question.”

Posted by: thorsonwong.2805

thorsonwong.2805

I believe that they said that with the masteries, you could learn to deploy your glider faster than what they showed (which seemed like a “fall nearly to your death” distance), so that’d mean that… Yes, at first, you’re going to scream like a little baby because your character has “no idea (this throws personal RP out the window, but that’s just something you’ll have to deal with) how to operate this alien contraption and oh my god, I’m going to die! AHHHHH! ;____;” but given a bit of time tinkering with it, you’ll eventually learn to jump off cliffs like a fearless pro.

And I mean, that’s not the best solution, admittedly, but it’s better than not being able to do a thing about it.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

they could just change it so that the distance the fall scream triggers at now is taken from the floor upwards and so long as you have more than that much space between you and the ground or your hang glider is open the scream will not happen. they could also work in an exception for the case you are unable to use your glider (because you already exhausted stamina for it or you havent unlocked it yet) and voila problem solved

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books