Can we get to be dwarves in the future?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

I could already imagine my elite skill turning me into stone as I punch the puppy out of evil Quaggans

Posted by: KPKlukken.7260

KPKlukken.7260

I think due to GW1 lore and events it is not possible since dwarves turned themselves into stone and are at least seemingly not able to reproduce. Unless someone can correct me on that. Though perhaps somewhere there is a group of unknown dwarves still around.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i think the asuras already fulfill the midget fetish

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

arent now all those dudes now completely made of stone or something?

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

We have 2 huge races – charr and norn, 2 medium – human, sylvari and we have 1 small – asura. What we need? SKRITTS

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Dwarves are gone. Not happening.

Make an asura revenant and always use the Jalis legend. That should keep you happy.

Or maybe the smallest possible human, revenant with Jalis legend.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Easily retconned. All it would take is an intrepid band of Stone Summit dwarves who stubbornly refused to undergo the Rite of the Great Dwarf and were either forgotten or stricken from the record due to undwarvenly behavior. Perhaps, after a time, they have come to regret their behavior and have returned from their dark wanderings, hoping to reunite with their lost kin — but alas! Until they make up for whatever undwarvenly thing they did, they are for some reason or other unable to undergo the Rite.

And so they become player characters.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

No. theyre gone. And i really really hope they stay gone.

if we ever get a new race it should be more original than generic small humans.

i’d rather they retcon krait and let us play one of those. if theyd start giving a kitten about beast races and stop with the awful armor stretching, that is.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Easily retconned. All it would take is an intrepid band of Stone Summit dwarves who stubbornly refused to undergo the Rite of the Great Dwarf and were either forgotten or stricken from the record due to undwarvenly behavior. Perhaps, after a time, they have come to regret their behavior and have returned from their dark wanderings, hoping to reunite with their lost kin — but alas! Until they make up for whatever undwarvenly thing they did, they are for some reason or other unable to undergo the Rite.

to the detriment of an iconic moment of GW1 lore. So some LOTR enthusiasts can enjoy playing Gimli, G1ml1 and xxGimlixx. Nah…

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Easily retconned. All it would take is an intrepid band of Stone Summit dwarves who stubbornly refused to undergo the Rite of the Great Dwarf and…

..and were killed off or died in between the events of Eye of the North and Guild Wars 2. This is precisely what happened, the devs did a pretty good job of setting their fate in stone, no pun intended.

And they were just plain filth, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to play as a character that’s the descendant of the absolute trash that the Stone Summit was.

\o/

Tachenon.5270

I’m not advocating the return of the dwarves, nor am I rallying against it. I am pointing out that the absence of flesh and blood dwarves is a matter easily retconned. Do you deny it?

Remember: in most MMOs, and this one especially, nothing is (ahem) set in stone.

Edit: they don’t, of course, even have to be flesh and blood dwarves to be player characters.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

As far as I remember the reason why Anet turned the dwarves into stone is because they wanted to write them off. They did not want to have the same playable races of other MMOs, so they had to do something about them before GW2.

So no, not going to happen.

Tachenon.5270

As far as I remember the reason why Anet turned the dwarves into stone is because they wanted to write them off. They did not want to have the same playable races of other MMOs, so they had to do something about them before GW2.

I’m sure there are people who were equally certain we’d never see a bow which fired flying unicorns in a Guild Wars game. How many were certain there’d never, ever, ever, EVER be anything remotely resembling a flying mount in GW2?

Besides, what other MMO has stone dwarves as a playable race?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

I’m sure there are people who were equally certain we’d never see a bow which fired flying unicorns in a Guild Wars game. How many were certain there’d never, ever, ever, EVER be anything remotely resembling a flying mount in GW2?

Besides, what other MMO has stone dwarves as a playable race?

They have dwarves with racial skills that turns them into stone. And I don’t remember the devs saying that unicorn bows won’t exist in gw2, but they made it clear they did not want playable dwarves.

I’d like to play as one, but it won’t happen.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

No thank you. I rather like what ANET did to the dwarven lore and if they retconned it then it would make the story of GW1 pointless. So yea, the dwarves can stay stone, and unplayable, i really wont mind. However, i do hope to see them return in the game, when we get to primordius, not as a playable race, but much like the skritt, grawl, orgres etc. They are no longer a major race in this game, so many of them died and they have dwindled probably more than the humans have.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Of course you can as long as it’s in another game.
If you prefer then just as much as you got to be Tengu in H.O.T.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe Ogden Stonehealer can find a way to “heal” the stone dwarves and return them to flesh and blood. Hmmmmm?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Dwarves could be part of the story if/when we have to fight primordus… as to them becoming a common or playable race.. i’ll let that to a-net

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I’m pretty sure every dwarf had to go. Like, it wasn’t a choice. They eventually turned to stone whether they wanted to or not.

Still, I wish we could be dwarves. :/ Maybe find a way to undo the Rite of the Great Dwarf or something. I mean, steps are already being taken to undo The Foefire…so obviously these spells/curses that cause catastrophic change aren’t irreversible…Hell if I know how they’ll do it, that’s not my concern.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Posted by: Cloudz.6890

Cloudz.6890

Maybe Ogden Stonehealer can find a way to “heal” the stone dwarves and return them to flesh and blood. Hmmmmm?

Why would he return them to flesh and blood? The whole reason they turned to stone was to fight the Destroyers underground. While some dwarves were forced to undergo the Rite most willingly went through it in order to fight their mortal enemy. Anet did a pretty good job of making sure dwarves by and large don’t come back to GW2.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

to the detriment of an iconic moment of GW1 lore. So some LOTR enthusiasts can enjoy playing Gimli, G1ml1 and xxGimlixx. Nah…

Actually loled hard at those names.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why would he return them to flesh and blood? The whole reason they turned to stone was to fight the Destroyers underground. While some dwarves were forced to undergo the Rite most willingly went through it in order to fight their mortal enemy. Anet did a pretty good job of making sure dwarves by and large don’t come back to GW2.

Because they won and killed all the Destroyers they were fighting? If that happened, then they could be brought back to fight on another front.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It has been explicitly stated that the Stone Summit disbanded and rejoined Deldrimor shortly after Eye of the North, and that by 50 years after Eye of the North, all dwarves that still lived had undergone the Rite.

They’ve already kittened with GW1 lore making it near pointless to care for pre-EotN lore, I don’t want them to go retconning GW2 lore Willy nilly too.

Especially when A net has on many occasions, before McCoy stated that they would never retcon, just give new truths. Sadly, a certain McCoy and LW writing team broke that promise a dozen times over.

Still, no need to make crimes worse.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: nassaya.7109

nassaya.7109

Maybe just an idea i love the thought about playing a dwarf. But maybe they can add a dwarven battle tonic. I don’t see them coming back so maybe they can meet the people half way with this.

I made a thread ones about a dwarven battle ale. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/suggestion-Dwarven-battle-ale-tonic/first#post4821208
Just an idea

Nassaya Shadowheart lvl. 80 Necro
Nassaya Fireheart lvl. 80 Ele
Far Shiverpeaks – Guardians of the Dutch [GOTD]

Tachenon.5270

It has been explicitly stated that the Stone Summit disbanded and rejoined Deldrimor shortly after Eye of the North, and that by 50 years after Eye of the North, all dwarves that still lived had undergone the Rite.

They’ve already kittened with GW1 lore making it near pointless to care for pre-EotN lore, I don’t want them to go retconning GW2 lore Willy nilly too.

Especially when A net has on many occasions, before McCoy stated that they would never retcon, just give new truths. Sadly, a certain McCoy and LW writing team broke that promise a dozen times over.

Still, no need to make crimes worse.

One more nail in the coffin won’t make the dead any deader.

Dang, I’m pretty darned profound to have had only half a cup of coffee this morning! Let me try another one. Ahem.

There’s no point shutting the barn door once the horse is out, so you might as well open the window and let the alicorn out, too.

Okay, back to the coffee pot.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Dwarves can be easily done and it would be workable on all levels in fact if they do start adding playable races I’m almost sure Dwarves will get the pick eventually.

Quite easy really as I doubt anyone here actually believes Primordious will be the final Dragon to get the axe. The Dwarves became stone to stop the Destroyers whom are minions of the Dragon. So when his turn comes up and we fight this Dragon and defeat the Destroyers the Dwarves obligation will have been fulfilled and they’ll more than likely loose the power of the Great Dwarf and either revert back to flesh and blood or completely die out. I’m going with they’ll return to flesh and blood and with a design similar to that of Norn and Human why wouldn’t they become playable or a major NPC race in the game.

Though I still want Tengu but with Char being the least played they’ll probably go with something that’s pretty and more humanlike.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They can’t return to flesh and blood though.
The Rite of the Great Dwarf is permanent.

For all intents and purposes they are basically an extinct race, seeing as they can’t reproduce and for all we know Ogden is the very last one left.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Volstag.6371

Volstag.6371

You know, it has always struck me as an odd choice to transform your race into a substance your enemy animates into minions. I have a feeling when we do get to Primordus, Destroyer Dwarves will be leading his frontline.

some men aren’t looking for anything logical…
some men just want to watch the world burn.

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

What if somehow they’ve mastered a way or had to sacrifice something in order to regain their original bodies.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

I think due to GW1 lore and events it is not possible since dwarves turned themselves into stone and are at least seemingly not able to reproduce. Unless someone can correct me on that. Though perhaps somewhere there is a group of unknown dwarves still around.

I’m pretty sure in gw1 lore and maybe even gw2 lore that I’ve seen it stated the stone dwarves are still underground fighting the destroyers… as they are now immortal age wise at least like odgen is.

That being said even though they maybe still around I don’t think lore wise you could play as one because when the king did the stone ritual they all became 1 entity called the great dwarf. An army sure but 1 mind. Like the skritt but without individuality. So while dwarves may exist still you couldn’t have your own character b/c it wouldn’t be you in spirit.

I believe all of the stone summit dwarves were wiped out but they were the enemy. Though theoretically if any did survive they could have changed their views and become friendly or they could have a revolution like the charr did against the flame legion and their shamans.

Personally I see little hope for dwarves since they went out of their way to make non generic mmo races… charr not orcs, asura not gnomes, especially sylvarri not elves. They wanted gw2 to be a stark contrast and about the only successful mmo to use nontraditional races. A much better bet would be to see tengu or quaggan, the bear people or the underwater people with wings (can’t think of the names atm)

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

The simplest solution would be to reveal that someone finally found a way to reverse the Rite. Reversing it could even be part of their PS intro. The Lore currently states that everyone is far more powerful than beings were 250 years ago, so it’s not that big of a stretch to say a solution was found.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The simplest solution would be to reveal that someone finally found a way to reverse the Rite. Reversing it could even be part of their PS intro. The Lore currently states that everyone is far more powerful than beings were 250 years ago, so it’s not that big of a stretch to say a solution was found.

But for there to be a solution, there first needs to be a problem. In their stoned state, the dwarves are much stronger and more focused than they normally are. Why would they want to become flesh? Why would anyone want them to become flesh?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

By canon, there were holdout groups unwilling to go through the Rite and the change. And all of them were annihilated by the dredge. There may have been some solo survivors, but by now they have all died out.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Tachenon.5270

By canon, there were holdout groups unwilling to go through the Rite and the change. And all of them were annihilated by the dredge. There may have been some solo survivors, but by now they have all died out.

“There are always possibilities.” ~ Spock

One that comes to mind, borrowed from the ST: TNG episode, ‘Relics’ — a malfunctioning (and long forgotten) asura gateway might have kept a group of dwarves (heck, they could even be the good guy dwarves!) trapped in transit, so to speak, for lo, all these many years. A simple repair and voila. Dwarves, ready to play.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

We have 2 huge races – charr and norn, 2 medium – human, sylvari and we have 1 small – asura. What we need? SKRITTS

Quaggan is a short race too.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Everything is easily retconed, that doesn’t make retconing any less lazy or stupid.

Tachenon.5270

Everything is easily retconed, that doesn’t make retconing any less lazy or stupid.

Not necessarily so. Without retconning we’d have been stuck with the movie version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Quaggan is a short race too.

Skritt masterrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix7mUvUfRko

videoboy.4162

But for there to be a solution, there first needs to be a problem. In their stoned state, the dwarves are much stronger and more focused than they normally are. Why would they want to become flesh? Why would anyone want them to become flesh?

The problem would be that their race can’t thrive in their stone forms. Each time one of the stone dwarves is destroyed, that’s one dwarf closer towards complete annihilation. They need to procreate to let their race live on.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The problem would be that their race can’t thrive in their stone forms. Each time one of the stone dwarves is destroyed, that’s one dwarf closer towards complete annihilation. They need to procreate to let their race live on.

Awww but thats the thing see, they fully knew that would happen in GW1. The Rite of the Great Dwarf was fully expected to be among the last acts the dwarves did in their long life on Tyria. Their last act would be to kill Primordus, and then they would effectively be a extinct race. Sure some would survive, but they cant have children and while some of them accepted that fact(I think Ogden even laments over the fate they are sealing themselves into), some fought against it and didnt want to be turned to stone. But the Right of the Great Dwarf was done, and all the dwarves eventually turned to stone. Even my dad who loves dwarves and plays them in any game doesnt want to see them back(He played GW1 and was super excited to see the Rite of the Great Dwarf, he loves the idea that a race would sacrifice their future to destroy their greatest enemy).

This game is different for the lack of them(Yes we have the asura, but they arent dwarves, just short) and i hope it stays that way.

In the end it all comes down to the game developers and us throwing the same thing back and forth at each other doesnt really do anything. They either are planning on having them return, are thinking about it, or dont want them to. If they do ever add a playable race i hope its tengu. However i dont think we are getting any new playable races and if we ever do it will be very very far down the road. But hey i could be wrong.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

videoboy.4162

I’m not really concerned with the issue of whether or not they should come back. I was just offering a suggestion on how they could come back.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They were already a dying race before they made the choice to undergo the Rite, and they knew it. The conflict between Deldrimor and Stone Summit was too bloody, and they have sustained additional losses during the Flameseeker prophecies finale, and reappearance of the Destroyers.
In many ways, the Rite, even if it amounted to racial suicide, at least gave them the choice of going out with pride, the big way, instead of just slowly fading away.
And their numbers are even lower now (not to mention that if they were turned back, who would keep forces of Primordius at bay?).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

The dwarves are practically extinct, allowing player character dwarves would completely negate a large portion of Tyrian lore

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Tachenon.5270

The dwarves are practically extinct, allowing player character dwarves would completely negate a large portion of Tyrian lore

Asura? Norn? Quaggans? Skritt? Once upon a time, these things were not part of Tyrian lore. Now they are.

All it takes is for new information to come to light, and the lorekeepers will rewrite history.

Again.

The table is a fable.

lordkrall.7241

Not being seen before isn’t even remotely close to completely rewriting a race story.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Tachenon.5270

Not being seen before isn’t even remotely close to completely rewriting a race story.

Both can be done with the same pen (see also: keyboard). And who said anything about rewriting the entire history? Couple of paragraphs, tops.

Reminder: I am not saying it should be done. I am saying it COULD be done. Which of these are you arguing against?

The table is a fable.

lordkrall.7241

Of course it could be done.

It could also be written that aliens came from outer space and nuked all of Tyria and killed all life on the planet.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Tachenon.5270

It could also be written that aliens came from outer space and nuked all of Tyria and killed all life on the planet.

Now you’re getting it. Make it dwarves from outer space instead of generic aliens and you’ll even be on topic!

The table is a fable.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s the only way to be sure…..

Gw3 is then announced with stone dwarves as the only playable race. Everything else is dead. They build space craft from leftover Asuran technology and invade Earth.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Technically Human are “Aliens” of Tyria. They come from another world, leaded by the 6 human gods. So yes, human itself is considered alien.