Can we give Dougal Keane a role in HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

He’s the main character of your first (and, in my opinion, best) novel, and yet he does nothing ingame except for spout a few lines of text.

This is an ideal time for him to once again be a prominent Tyrian hero. The Pact is in trouble and there is exploration to be done and lost ruins full of treasure to be found. Bring Dougal back.

Posted by: Retro.6831

Retro.6831

Fantastic idea, it’d be cool if he had his own event chain somewhere in the jungle, exploring a trap-filled ruin since that seems to be his specialty.

Posted by: Soleiya Starbow.7013

Soleiya Starbow.7013

Not to be a downer, but I hope I never, ever hear or have to deal with Dougal again. In my opinion, that first novel was the worst (depressing, poorly written, just not fun to read), and I never liked Dougal’s character. He was wooden and uninteresting. The second novel (Edge of Destiny) was light-years more fun and and better-written. Therefore I’m hoping that we get to fight alongside the Destiny’s Edge characters whenever we get to take down Mordremoth. I like Braham, Rox, Taimi and the other new characters a lot, but I was disappointed that DE didn’t have more of a role in the past two Living Story seasons.

So please, for the love of all that’s fluffy, NEVER bring back Dougal!!!!

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

He’s the main character of your first (and, in my opinion, best) novel, and yet he does nothing ingame except for spout a few lines of text.

This is an ideal time for him to once again be a prominent Tyrian hero. The Pact is in trouble and there is exploration to be done and lost ruins full of treasure to be found. Bring Dougal back.

from wiki:
“player: I’ve heard of you!
Dougal Keane: Whatever you’ve heard about me was probably exaggerated. I’m just a man who knows how to get things done.”
He must be hired as Trahearne’s personal Advisor.

Posted by: Finn Dove of Myst.7819

Finn Dove of Myst.7819

Loved Dougal and would love to see him do stuff with us!

Stick to the plan AND Go with the flow.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Dougal keane was one of the few interesting and well fleshed out characters on the novels. Would approve of seeing more of his adventures in action

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I think , and that was once my idea that I presented also in the CDIs is, that Fractals of the Mists needs to be improved by adding a different Mode to it and differentiatign that new mode by what you play.

The current Fractals of the Mist – lets call it for now the “Dimension of Broken Memories” (DBM) lets us replay Parts of Tyrias’s Past in the view of our Characters, like we would simpley experience something that we have done already in the past again, or experience somethign with our characters from the past, where we haven’t even maybe lived at that point.

But what I would love to see is another mode for Fractals of the Mist – lets called this one “Heroic Monuments of History” (HMH)

Under this mode we would play our Characters, the gameplay would be flipped and now instesad of our Characters we play inm this Mode other Characters from special Moments of Tyrias History (suggested this in the past as Heroic Fractals to keep it simply)
What I want to have in GW2 is with this gameplay Mode in the Fractals of the Mist to have an alternative, which works exactly like the concept of the Bonus Mission Pack of GW1.

It was unique, it was rewarding and it was simply somethign different as experience to play not your own character, but to see things out of the view from someone else, how certain events of the past happened and what they felt at that time ect.

Main inspiration for this Idea were the Guild Wars Novels 1 and 2. Ghosts of Ascalon and Destiny’s Edge.
Both are great books with awesome story and I absolutely believe, it would be super awesome, if we would have with this alternative Game Mode a way to completely replay those books in several split chapters that work as various different instanced parts that you can enter as a 5 Man Group where by random each has to play a role of a different NPC, or a little system allows the group to decide first, who plays as which NPC, before you enter the Instance.

In Ghosts of Ascalon players could for example play then as

Dougal – Thief
Riona – Guardian
Gullik – Warrior
Ember – Elementalist
Krannx – Engineer

Killeen stays unplayable either or becomes in certain parts a optional choice and then any of the not chosen NPC gets played by the game AI.
With the last part being a Solo Part due to Riona

Rewards then could be BMP style:

• Weapon Skins from those Characters unique Weapons
  • Armor Skins from those Characters unique Armors
  • Minipets from Dougal & Co.
  • Guild Hall Decorations based of the Stories Theme
    ect. pp

In regyard of post story, I think it would be awesome if some of the GoA characters that still lare possible would get integrated more into the living story and in general now with HoT

they are already heroes, they should have somewhere i nthe game and story again an active spot.

I’d love to see Killeen to return for example as a Necromancer Hero for Stronghold.

There she could offer these 3 Abilities:

Call > Returning Horror > On call every dead or downed player gets instantly revived and enemies in the near get a 3s long not removeable special fear and torment and bleeding
Movement > Way of Darkness > Enemies in her Movement Aura get periodically blinded and Allies leech health with attacks
Lord Room > Bloodbath > Summons several Bloody Reavers that create on their summon fields for some time Blood Springs that periodically heal allies while they drain Enemy Endurance. The Reavers themself protect Killen and deal ranged attacks whenever Killeen gets hit to heal her with their attacks.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

So people want to see one NPC (Dougal) in HOT but in another thread today they said they did not want to see another NPC (Sya) there because a NPC there would take the focus off of the player?

Am I the only one seeing the irony in this?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I think , and that was once my idea that I presented also in the CDIs is, that Fractals of the Mists needs to be improved by adding a different Mode to it and differentiatign that new mode by what you play.

The current Fractals of the Mist – lets call it for now the “Dimension of Broken Memories” (DBM) lets us replay Parts of Tyrias’s Past in the view of our Characters, like we would simpley experience something that we have done already in the past again, or experience somethign with our characters from the past, where we haven’t even maybe lived at that point.

But what I would love to see is another mode for Fractals of the Mist – lets called this one “Heroic Monuments of History” (HMH)

Under this mode we would play our Characters, the gameplay would be flipped and now instesad of our Characters we play inm this Mode other Characters from special Moments of Tyrias History (suggested this in the past as Heroic Fractals to keep it simply)
What I want to have in GW2 is with this gameplay Mode in the Fractals of the Mist to have an alternative, which works exactly like the concept of the Bonus Mission Pack of GW1.

It was unique, it was rewarding and it was simply somethign different as experience to play not your own character, but to see things out of the view from someone else, how certain events of the past happened and what they felt at that time ect.

Main inspiration for this Idea were the Guild Wars Novels 1 and 2. Ghosts of Ascalon and Destiny’s Edge.
Both are great books with awesome story and I absolutely believe, it would be super awesome, if we would have with this alternative Game Mode a way to completely replay those books in several split chapters that work as various different instanced parts that you can enter as a 5 Man Group where by random each has to play a role of a different NPC, or a little system allows the group to decide first, who plays as which NPC, before you enter the Instance.

In Ghosts of Ascalon players could for example play then as

Dougal – Thief
Riona – Guardian
Gullik – Warrior
Ember – Elementalist
Krannx – Engineer

Killeen stays unplayable either or becomes in certain parts a optional choice and then any of the not chosen NPC gets played by the game AI.
With the last part being a Solo Part due to Riona

Rewards then could be BMP style:

• Weapon Skins from those Characters unique Weapons
  • Armor Skins from those Characters unique Armors
  • Minipets from Dougal & Co.
  • Guild Hall Decorations based of the Stories Theme
    ect. pp

In regyard of post story, I think it would be awesome if some of the GoA characters that still lare possible would get integrated more into the living story and in general now with HoT

they are already heroes, they should have somewhere i nthe game and story again an active spot.

I’d love to see Killeen to return for example as a Necromancer Hero for Stronghold.

There she could offer these 3 Abilities:

Call > Returning Horror > On call every dead or downed player gets instantly revived and enemies in the near get a 3s long not removeable special fear and torment and bleeding
Movement > Way of Darkness > Enemies in her Movement Aura get periodically blinded and Allies leech health with attacks
Lord Room > Bloodbath > Summons several Bloody Reavers that create on their summon fields for some time Blood Springs that periodically heal allies while they drain Enemy Endurance. The Reavers themself protect Killen and deal ranged attacks whenever Killeen gets hit to heal her with their attacks.

Love it as a fractal idea

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

So people want to see one NPC (Dougal) in HOT but in another thread today they said they did not want to see another NPC (Sya) there because a NPC there would take the focus off of the player?

Dougal is an established character from the lore, who is also a combatant. Sya is a background character with no backstory beyond her use of a total makeover kit and name change contract, who happens to be an aid worker.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Fun fact: with LA’s redesign finished, Dougal disappeared. But devs confirmed he’s just elsewhere.

Hints to HoT involvement?

Would love to see the remains of that gang return. Not just Dougal but also Gullik and Ember.

Also waiting to see the return of the team Syska aka Labwan tried to kill by sending them into a destroyer den. Forgot their names but they were the funniest group in the Pact besidesCarys and Tegwan (RIP), with far too little screen time.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Dougal is a major lore character who is criminally underused in the game. He has a defined personality, a developed backstory, and was largely responsible for the racial alliances that allow the players to succeed in the first place.

Sya is a background NPC that does nothing more than make a political statement. (One that I agree with, but still).

Personally, I support the addition of content around both, but Dougal is far and away the more important character to get to know and he lends himself to exactly the type of exploration and discovery that Heart of Thorns is supposed to be about.

I have never been of the crowd that NPC’s take away from the player and therefore we need less of them. The opposite is true – NPC’s are the player’s window into the game world, and they need to be MORE emphasized in order to create convincing storytelling and immersion.

Not to be a downer, but I hope I never, ever hear or have to deal with Dougal again. In my opinion, that first novel was the worst (depressing, poorly written, just not fun to read), and I never liked Dougal’s character. He was wooden and uninteresting. The second novel (Edge of Destiny) was light-years more fun and and better-written. Therefore I’m hoping that we get to fight alongside the Destiny’s Edge characters whenever we get to take down Mordremoth. I like Braham, Rox, Taimi and the other new characters a lot, but I was disappointed that DE didn’t have more of a role in the past two Living Story seasons.

So please, for the love of all that’s fluffy, NEVER bring back Dougal!!!!

Opinions are opinions, but Edge of Destiny was crap. It has the lowest general reputation and was critically panned. Why? Because the writing was inconsistent, characters were poorly developed, and the decisions were non-sensical. One minute, Logan is capable of running up an Ogre’s arm in the climax, and the next, he’s standing face-to-face with one. The entire ending – the founding of the game’s story – was pointless, as Jennah was able to save her own kitten , making Logan’s betrayal redundant and for nothing.

Not to mention, I found that all of Eir’s parts just dragged on. They were slow, boring, and painful to read to a degree that dragged the whole book down, and I don’t find that the least bit surprising, given that Eir herself is the most boring and dry of the Destiny’s Edge members. Neither Ghosts of Ascalon nor Sea of Sorrows suffered from that.

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)