Centaur Farm

Centaur Farm

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Farming leather from Centaurs seems like you are getting it from their hides. Perhaps Anet means it to be from their “gear” but as Centaurs don’t have much gear it isn’t clear.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

I guess I really don’t understand your post. You kill them and get a leather item and you salvage it. You can get gear drops from them but the main “farm” part is the imbued leather item you salvage. I don’t think there is an intended source of that item, might be gear, horse hide or loin cloth.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

think u get leather from centaurs wherever u kill them, it’s just that this happen to be an intended famr area that gives it this barbaric feeling, if thats what ur going at.

Lorewise I dont think anyone would dare going after centaurs for their hides or even think of it in the first place

Centaur Farm

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Yea, it’s definitely genocide and we’re like a sicko from a Silence of the Lambs type series where we skin them. But don’t worry, if it makes you feel better, nobody will be killing the centaurs within a few days. The leather farm is such a failure that leather prices are already back to pre-patch levels.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yea, it’s definitely genocide and we’re like a sicko from a Silence of the Lambs type series where we skin them. But don’t worry, if it makes you feel better, nobody will be killing the centaurs within a few days. The leather farm is such a failure that leather prices are already back to pre-patch levels.

Two leather farms on LFG right at this second and it’s definitely not prime time. I’ve almost never seen a time when there isn’t an active LFG for it. How do you define fail?

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Maybe we only skin the horse part of the dead centaurs. That would be the humane thing to do, right?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

The leather farm is such a failure that leather prices are already back to pre-patch levels.

How do you define fail?

I thought that was clear enough. The main problem people were complaining about was the extremely high price for hardened leather. Which, after a short dip, is back to climbing up again, from what I can see. Whether or not this actually means that the farm is a failure, as TorsoReaper says, is open for discussion, though. Maybe there aren’t really enough people who care about this (or making some gold) and hence farm the place, to make a dent in the price?

(edited by Gudy.3607)

Centaur Farm

Posted by: ich.7086

ich.7086

Anet doesn’t consider price as a problem. The inhability to farm it was the problem for Anet.

I Am An Intruder – War 80
Ich Bin Marc – Thief 80
All Your Dolyaks Are Belong To [Us] (Fort Ranik)

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

After killing them we take all the hide launched off of them by to the laser/sword/arrow massacre from the ground.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The leather farm is such a failure that leather prices are already back to pre-patch levels.

How do you define fail?

I thought that was clear enough. The main problem people were complaining about was the extremely high price for hardened leather. Which, after a short dip, is back to climbing up again, from what I can see. Whether or not this actually means that the farm is a failure, as TorsoReaper says, is open for discussion, though. Maybe there aren’t really enough people who care about this (or making some gold) and hence farm the place, to make a dent in the price?

If we wanted to be kind about a theory…

Demand is related to need, but only a fraction of it. I “need” the various leathers, but I haven’t put in buy orders (demand). If I received any of that necessary leather, I’m not going to put it on the market (and compete/lower prices).

So, what we may be seeing is that the leather farm hasn’t sufficiently penetrated that gap. People who are going to buy or farm/buy will still be requesting, but people who might consider selling aren’t doing so because they haven’t overproduced for their needs. It’s actually still a bit early to determine if the centaur farm will make a difference.

Running theory is that the group nature of the content and upcoming new content will drive people into different areas (or even just slapping around White Mantle for their leather). So far, it looks like the challenging farm is a bust, partially because it’s still spitting out mostly T5 leather instead of the ones we’re starved on.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Centaur Farm

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, if you don’t skin them, they certainly would do the same to you!

Note that when you try to run from them, they say something like “That’s your most attractive side!” I think I probably misheard that, but I think they’re definitely never up to any good.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

How do you define fail?

If we wanted to be kind about a theory…

Demand is related to need, but only a fraction of it. I “need” the various leathers, but I haven’t put in buy orders (demand). If I received any of that necessary leather, I’m not going to put it on the market (and compete/lower prices).

So, what we may be seeing is that the leather farm hasn’t sufficiently penetrated that gap. People who are going to buy or farm/buy will still be requesting, but people who might consider selling aren’t doing so because they haven’t overproduced for their needs. It’s actually still a bit early to determine if the centaur farm will make a difference.

Running theory is that the group nature of the content and upcoming new content will drive people into different areas (or even just slapping around White Mantle for their leather). So far, it looks like the challenging farm is a bust, partially because it’s still spitting out mostly T5 leather instead of the ones we’re starved on.

If t5 is cheap enough they can be promoted to t6. A group is also unnecessary given the high spawn rate on the bottom of the camp. Though the champs in up the path does help to give better and more consistent results.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Well, if you don’t skin them, they certainly would do the same to you!

Note that when you try to run from them, they say something like “That’s your most attractive side!” I think I probably misheard that, but I think they’re definitely never up to any good.

You didn’t mis-hear. And there’s nothing wrong with saying you like your enemies to run away.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

How do you define fail?

I don’t think it’s that clear … people can complain about something, but it might not be the motive Anet has to fix something. In this case, leather farm is implemented as a specific place were people can farm leather to get leather, not gold … I’m going to bet that few people farming leather in this zone are going to sell it to affect prices that much, because there are far better places to spend time to earn gold to buy leather off the TP if that is the route they want to take. This was added to give players options, not ease pricing.

I’m also willing to be there is a cloth zone on the drawing board in case it’s needed for the same reason they implemented this leather one.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Anet doesn’t consider price as a problem. The inhability to farm it was the problem for Anet.

Which hasn’t been solved. You can farm only t5 from this area, and t5 was the only tier that always was okay.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Don’t overthink it OP, just remember sometimes you can get a weapon or armor piece by killing a grub worm……. If I can get loot from it I’m there lol…..

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Centaur Farm

Obtena.7952

Which hasn’t been solved. You can farm only t5 from this area, and t5 was the only tier that always was okay.

You know … it’s pretty important to be accurate in these discussions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5t7d1u/possible_spoilers_salvage_rate_research_for/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Guildwars2

This might be of some interest to people in this thread. Salvage rates from 4,000 drops from the new map. 1,000 each of Bloodstone-Warped Hides (the drops from the centaurs) and Unstable Hides (which drop from the random white mantle mobs in the map) with both the copper fed and silver fed salvage o matic.

TL;DR – The unstable hides give significantly more T2, 3, 4, 6 leather than the Bloodstone Warped Hides does. I don’t know if this is intentional or not, but if you want leather in other tiers than T5, then the centaur camp is not your friend. Instead just randomly killing white mantle mobs on the map is good-ish at that instead.

T5 is NOT the only tier that drops in that farming area.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Farming leather from Centaurs seems like you are getting it from their hides. Perhaps Anet means it to be from their “gear” but as Centaurs don’t have much gear it isn’t clear.

You can get Bloodstone-Warped Hide from three places: Bloodstone-Warped Saddlebags (from Champions), Harathi Strongboxes or as direct drops from the centaurs themselves. I doubt they’re skinning one another and storing the hide in their saddlebags/strongboxes.

I thought it was fairly obvious that you get it from the centaur’s armor and equipment, not the centaurs themselves.

I mean, when I get salvageable leather drops from human bandits I’m pretty sure I’m not skinning them.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You know … it’s pretty important to be accurate in these discussions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5t7d1u/possible_spoilers_salvage_rate_research_for/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Guildwars2

This might be of some interest to people in this thread. Salvage rates from 4,000 drops from the new map. 1,000 each of Bloodstone-Warped Hides (the drops from the centaurs) and Unstable Hides (which drop from the random white mantle mobs in the map) with both the copper fed and silver fed salvage o matic.

TL;DR – The unstable hides give significantly more T2, 3, 4, 6 leather than the Bloodstone Warped Hides does. I don’t know if this is intentional or not, but if you want leather in other tiers than T5, then the centaur camp is not your friend. Instead just randomly killing white mantle mobs on the map is good-ish at that instead.

T5 is NOT the only tier that drops in that farming area.

Highlighted the relevant part.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Centaur Farm

Obtena.7952

Sure … which shows you weren’t providing correct information when you say T5 is the only leather you get from the farming area. If we could all keep to being truthful, people could make informed decisions. People can come to their own conclusions if they want to spend time there or not without being mislead by false statements.

Centaur Farm

TorsoReaper.8530

Based on 300 salvaged hides using a copper-fed:

Rawhide Leather Section 10.00%
Thin Leather Section 8.33%
Coarse Leather Section 8.33%
Rugged Leather Section 14.33%
Thick Leather Section 63.67%
Hardened Leather Section 8.33%

So even though thick leather isn’t “the only thing” it’s practically the only thing given the other drop rates are so miserable.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So even though thick leather isn’t “the only thing” it’s practically the only thing given the other drop rates are so miserable.

So, roughly 2/3 drop rate for leather we’re already floating in. A flat(ter) distribution would actually make that farming spot worth the attention and (little bit of) hype.
Something like…
Rawhide Leather Section 15.00%
Thin Leather Section 18.33%
Coarse Leather Section 18.33%
Rugged Leather Section 24.33%
Thick Leather Section 23.67%
Hardened Leather Section 13.33%

Bamf, problems solved.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Centaur Farm

TorsoReaper.8530

So, roughly 2/3 drop rate for leather we’re already floating in. A flat(er) distribution would actually make that farming spot worth the attention and (little bit of) hype.
Something like…
Rawhide Leather Section 15.00%
Thin Leather Section 18.33%
Coarse Leather Section 18.33%
Rugged Leather Section 24.33%
Thick Leather Section 23.67%
Hardened Leather Section 13.33%

Bamf, problems solved.

Stop trying to confuse people with your common sense

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

Pretty much showing numbers similar to what i received. Went for a couple hours waiting for the boss at the end for achievements, following the zerg around and ended up with a lot more thick leather than i was expecting and a lot less hardened.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Asukai.4507

Asukai.4507

Farming leather and going with zerg is one way getting them.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: daw.4923

daw.4923

i was allways wondering why ppl looking for REASONS in games…. its a game, you can drop sword from wolf…. been here since ever.
if you are still not convinced,think about AB and that you basicly stealing things from theirs coffins..

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

i was allways wondering why ppl looking for REASONS in games…. its a game, you can drop sword from wolf…. been here since ever.
if you are still not convinced,think about AB and that you basicly stealing things from theirs coffins..

Those aren’t coffins and it is basically “hey you helped defend our city! here have some stuff”. Not sure why we need to buy keys for those chests though.

The more confusing thing is the labyrinth after Vinewrath. Why does that exist at all?

Who is stuffing random gemstones into trees all over the world? Are they angry at me for stealing all their hidden troves?

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Who is stuffing random gemstones into trees all over the world? Are they angry at me for stealing all their hidden troves?

Wealthy squirrels, of course. They probably would be angry if they could remember where they hid their gems.

Centaur Farm

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

The more confusing thing is the labyrinth after Vinewrath. Why does that exist at all?

Mordy is a dragon, right? Dragons do love their hordes. I figure some of that rubs off on the dragon minions, who kill lots of people and animals. It’s only natural those now-deceased creatures dropped stuff for the dragon minions, just as if they’d drop stuff if killed by characters. It’s a murderous cycle.