Central Tyria Map Rewards

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Fluffy.1932

Fluffy.1932

I was playing my revenant when I remembered that the map reward system for Central Tyria was in this beta, so I went to Cursed Shore to farm some (pretend) giant eyes. It seems that not many people are leaving feedback on this system so I wanted to give my thoughts.

First of all, I like how it is formatted on the world map. Being able to see what possible rewards I can get and which one I will get next is really nice. It would be great if this “what I’ll get next” feature could get some sort of UI on the minimap or somewhere else I can easily see while in the midst of fighting stuff, so that I don’t have to keep opening the map to see what’s next.

Also, while I was doing events I wasn’t sure if it was working or not. I was under the impression that this system would work like Silverwastes and Dry Top where upon completing an event I would get a bouncy chest with my rewards in it. I have yet to get a bouncy chest from Cursed Shore which makes me wonder if it is bugged or working by design?

Also, it seems like I am only getting the specified rewards 1/3-1/2 of the time. I complete an event with a gold rating and then just gold is put into my inventory. This is frustrating when I think I’m going to get a giant eye the next event. My perception of how often I get a reward might be skewed by there being no indication of receiving that reward though.

Lastly, it would be nice to get an explanation of how the next reward is determined. If I am one giant eye away from making some weapon and it’s 2am, I would like to know if it’ll take 3 more events or 30 more events or at least an estimate.

So what would I like to see with this feature?

• A bouncy chest to deliver the reward
  • Rewards from every event
  • An explanation of how the next reward is determined
  • An indicator of what one’s next reward is outside of the world map

If anyone else has ideas of how to improve this feature please post them. Thank you for your time!

- Fluffy

Fluffy Fuz
The Edge of Oblivion [EDGE]

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I agree with what you’d like to see. I was trying to test out the new system earlier, but I’m still not sure exactly how it works. I did a single event, and got an Ancient Bone. Then, it took me two events to get another bone.

Does it take an additional even each time, to get the next reward? It’s not very clear to me.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I too would like more clarification on this system. Ran around trying to do events, and I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting anything.

videoboy.4162

Yeah, it’s not clear at all when you get something as part of the new system or as just a random drop. If I hadn’t known that an Ancient Bone was the current reward, I wouldn’t have known it wasn’t just a drop.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I would prefer a bouncy chest not appear. The reason why is, you get these rewards in the low level areas also and getting a bouncy chest you have to click on every few minutes for an item worth a few copper would strain most people’s patience, including mine.

Maybe if the item showed up in the loot rewards on the right hand side of the UI inside of a distinctly colored square or a square with visible, colored borders. That way it would be visible as a map reward but wouldn’t require opening up a chest.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Druj Rosenkloitz.3729

Druj Rosenkloitz.3729

I agree, the World Map UI could be improved a little bit, seeing the possible rewards to the side of the map name doesnt look pretty for me, and we know Anet can do better.

A little progress bar mimicking the one we have for the masteries above (or below) the mini map would be great, showing how many events you have to complete for the next reward and a little box appearing when you hover over the bar showing the next two or three rewards would help a lot.

Getting extra rewards for completing every single event might be good, but then you would have to tune down the rewards I guess. I think I would rather have really good rewards that take two or three events to get.

I believe we do need the bouncy chest to notify us when we do get the reward, and include some new stuff in the rewards rotation, loot bags, salvage items, bags of gear, and even currency like gold and dungeon tokens (this might motivate new players to try the dungeons for the first time)

As always this is my opinion and you are free to disagree with me.

videoboy.4162

I like your idea about a little bar, Druj. Maybe they could do something similar to the WXP Bar at the top of the screen in WvW? It’s pretty tiny and non-distracting.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I am with flesh wound on this, having it displayed somehow on screen would be a good thing. However, the Silverwastes bouncy chests are actually a bit annoying to me. The least amount of clicks should be required in my opinion, as things such as luck and salvaging already cause alot of strain on people’s fingers in this game. I think that having a tiny bar is a good idea like the posters said above. Perhaps you could have a bar with a chest icon (or the next reward) above the minimap to indicate map reward progress.

(edited by Lethalvriend.1723)

Posted by: Fluffy.1932

Fluffy.1932

So it seems like the map reward does show up in a bouncy chest when completing world bosses. With both Melandru and Ulgoth I’ve gotten the reward in the same chest as the guaranteed rare.

Fluffy Fuz
The Edge of Oblivion [EDGE]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It needs to be indicated somehow. If people don’t know they are getting a reward, is it still a reward?

Dialog between players
P1: so, how you liking the new map rewards? You get any?
P2: hellifiknow
P1: well, didn’t you get the map reward, that ancient bone?
P2: oh, yah I got a couple.
P1: so, you got the map reward?
P2: hellifiknow.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There was another thread on this subject, perhaps they should be combined as I see good ideas in both threads.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Map-Bonus-Feedback/first#post5364435

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

No bouncy chests, and no bags please. Maybe an added line on the event results (which I’d also like to see get a time-to-live feature, honestly), and a UI flyout in the wallet to show you your most recent X rewards.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.