Chak Gerent Information Pooling

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dengar.1785

Dengar.1785

I’m looking to defeat this thing. But I’m not sure if I have all the data here. I don’t know if a guide already exists out there, but I thought it’d be nice to pool some information here.

-There are 4 lanes, each with their own battle. If any lane fails, it’s game over for everyone.
-Each lane has a Gerent which starts burrowed. Each lane also has an event which is meant to make it surface.
-After the Gerent surfaces, a time limit begins. Once the time runs out, the Gerent will burrow again and the event will move further down the lane.
-After the third “round”, the event ends in failure.
-Periodically, a large pack of Chak spawn that make a beeline for the cannon. They will not fight, just run to the cannon.
-If the cannon takes too much damage, the event ends in failure.

I’ve only been on the SCAR lanes, so here’s a description of it:
-The SCAR team works on a resonance device that forces the Gerent to surface. A gauge will slowly fill up while they work on it. They need to be protected so that the gauge will keep filling. Once the Gerent burrows again, the entire team moves down the lane and sets up a new device in a new location.

Things I’d like to know:

-The Gerent has a defiance bar. It’s a very tough bar that I’ve never seen broken. Therefore I am unsure what happens if he gets broken.
-The Gerent has a kitten ton of HP. It’s very difficult to deal enough damage to it. Anyone know if there’s a trick to dealing more damage? Does he take more damage when he’s broken?
-Is there any relevance to these “levels” that you seem to be able to gain from doing well at the unburrow event.
-How do the events in the other lanes work?

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

The whole tangled depths meta seems unintuitive. The map design makes this harder because it’s difficult to know where you’re needed, or even where to go.

Dengar.1785

I did not make this thread so people can complain about how bad they are at navigating. I made this thread to pool information on the Gerent so we can beat it. So if you don’t mind, I’d prefer it if you stayed on topic.

Posted by: Xytl.8659

Xytl.8659

The only lane I’ve participated in so far is Ogre lane. That lane is probably one of the easier ones to complete if I had to take a guess, as luring the Gerent out requires you to smash a bunch of Chak eggs. By smashing these eggs you do spawn additional Chak but you can ignore them for the most part as they’re too slow to keep up.

As for the boss itself I imagine it does indeed take more damage when it has a drained breakbar. Most of the Legendary tier enemies I’ve encountered in HoT so far share that trait. We had about 10 people on our lane yesterday on my last attempt and we maybe took 5% of its health away, but did not remove the breakbar. If you do only get three stages to kill it, there must be something you do to make it vulnerable.

That’s all I have to add, because I haven’t seen the event go much further than that. The Nuhock lane ended up failing about two and a half minutes into the event that we spent two hours setting up, it was quite frustrating.

Aratyl ~Gate of Madness
Co-Leader of the Get Fresh Crew

Dengar.1785

I do not know the specifics, but the common trend is for the Nuhoch lane to fail first. This leads me to believe that Nuhoch lane is the hardest to organise.

Anyone else have some info to share?

Posted by: Zaroua.2714

Zaroua.2714

Ogre lane is all about pure DPS. Dhuumfire/condi necros and staff eles really shine there, as well as anyone else who can do reliable DPS to 5+ targets at a time.

Nuhock lane seems to be about spreading out all over the place and stomping on mushrooms which are located on the big mushrooms scattered around the area. My guess is that you want to figure out where all the things you need to stomp are so that the event is done efficiently.

And like the OP mentioned, there are Chaks that ignore the fighting and go straight for the cannons, so someone has to keep them dead. From what I’ve seen, it’s 1 veteran and 2 non veterans each wave, but I was always busy killing other stuff to notice.

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

I wonder if the breakbars on some of these mobs are overtuned or if people just don’t know yet to include some CC in their builds, because I haven’t seen the Wyvern Matriach’s breakbar knocked down yet either.

Maybe someone should test out that hypothesis by getting like five Scrappers/Mesmers or something and focussing on just taking out the breakbars. See if it’s possible to actually down the Gerents if people are popping the breakbars as soon as they turn blue. (Relying on the randoms in your lane to execute the burn, of course.)

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Zaroua.2714

Zaroua.2714

“because I haven’t seen the Wyvern Matriach’s breakbar knocked down yet either”

I’ve broken the break bar when I did the fight duo. It’s fairly easy if everyone is ready for it and has a few seconds of CC ready. But you’re talking about a zerg and the average player is drooling mess that can’t adapt unless they have a handy guide written for them that says “put X ability on your bar and don’t use it until the defiance bar is active”. In fact, the hardest defiance bars to break that I’ve seen are from the hylek veterans, the tier 5 mastery iztec(?) champion and the champion chak at the chak stronghold. No other champion/legendary breakbars were difficult to break when I went against them solo, at least of those that I’ve fought against. I don’t know if the chak gerent is hard to break or not because there’s always been 10-15 players around who weren’t CCing.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Unlikely many guilds will share any tips until the world first is claimed.

SCAR lane is most certainly bugged when you compare the Gerent in that lane with others. They are all the same except that the one in SCAR lane has the bar available for only 2 seconds.

This event is impossible without that being fixed.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I do not know the specifics, but the common trend is for the Nuhoch lane to fail first. This leads me to believe that Nuhoch lane is the hardest to organise.

Nuhoch lane fails due to the shroom part

1.) Not enough shroom stompers
2.) Related to #1, even if there are enough shroom stompers, they do not have stability so they end up getting knocked off, wasting valuable time
3.) Related to #1, there aren’t enough shroom stompers spread out on both sides of the lane and up top

Dengar.1785

Calling the event impossible is not only pessimistic, it’s just plain wrong. I was able to get my Gerent down to almost 0% HP on my last attempt. (this was on SCAR lane) Too bad only one other lane managed to do the same. But we’re getting bettter every time.

Posted by: Destabilizator.2789

Destabilizator.2789

Yes Nunoch lane is hardest, but certainly doable. Key is to blow the Defiance bar, not for the CC, but boss takes huge dmg when downed. We failed by 0,4% though, eh.

Vertor et revertor.

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

“because I haven’t seen the Wyvern Matriach’s breakbar knocked down yet either”

I’ve broken the break bar when I did the fight duo. It’s fairly easy if everyone is ready for it and has a few seconds of CC ready. But you’re talking about a zerg and the average player is drooling mess that can’t adapt unless they have a handy guide written for them that says “put X ability on your bar and don’t use it until the defiance bar is active”. In fact, the hardest defiance bars to break that I’ve seen are from the hylek veterans, the tier 5 mastery iztec(?) champion and the champion chak at the chak stronghold. No other champion/legendary breakbars were difficult to break when I went against them solo, at least of those that I’ve fought against. I don’t know if the chak gerent is hard to break or not because there’s always been 10-15 players around who weren’t CCing.

I would expect breakbars to scale to the amount of players doing the event. So duo-ing a mob with breakbars should be easier I assume.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

This really needs some bumping. There’s definitely something wrong with this event. Either the scaling is atrociously bad or the break bars are basically unbreakable. In SCAR late the bar was only active for probably less than 2 seconds. Managed to get a Jade winds in and that took like 2% of his bar.
Forget about CC over time like taunt or fear now

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This really needs some bumping. There’s definitely something wrong with this event. Either the scaling is atrociously bad or the break bars are basically unbreakable. In SCAR late the bar was only active for probably less than 2 seconds. Managed to get a Jade winds in and that took like 2% of his bar.
Forget about CC over time like taunt or fear now

Probably because another lane failed.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I would expect breakbars to scale to the amount of players doing the event. So duo-ing a mob with breakbars should be easier I assume.

Yes, breakbars scale very unevenly. I remember fighting the sky Wyvern in VB with 3-5 other people we were able to kill its breakbar quite casually, but when 20 people were out we couldn’t nudge it more than 20%.

Specific to this event, I think I heard somewhere that the breakbars can be impacted by local special circumstances, like weapons you unlock in that lane and stuff, so maybe they aren’t intended to be “bullied down” using standard abilities.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”