Challange, defend the HoT expansion price

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Calcanius.5048

Calcanius.5048

Here is a little challange to all you fanboys/white knight and others

The BOB Exampel
Two people go into same shop to buy a bundle made out of 2 items, lets call the item BOB, Person 1 already have a BOB and person 2 dont.

Bundle contains: BOB and a expansion for BOB.

The Problem is when you leave the store, a store clerk come running after you and say to person 1: Sorry Sir, but i see that you already have BOB at home and takes your BOB away.

Both payed the same amount, How do you think person 1 feels now ?

Justify how person 1 gets same value for money as person 2

EDIT: BOB is everylasting, does not break or gets old

(edited by Calcanius.5048)

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

<crickets chirping>

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

I’ll show you how they’ll justify this whole thing.

“Game is free, shut up”, “get a job”, “i bought the game and since i like it, that means my opinion is the only one that matters”, “just use gold to get gems and buy character slot, lazy cheap kitten”, “Anet is great, all praise Anet”, “HoT will clearly be worth the price, stop complaining”

Did i miss anything?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

This example isn’t perfect. Technically, your BOB you have at home has a bunch of aesthetic features and unlocked content on it for having been used throughout the years. You can pick up a new BOB that comes with its own expansion, so you have a new BOB with nothing on it but the expansion, and you have the old BOB with all your old stuff. Or, you can buy the expansion and attach it to your BOB at home, but in removing the expansion from new BOB you need to break the new BOB.

It’s still mostly correct, but it needs to be worded different.

Posted by: Gundam Zephyr.6713

Gundam Zephyr.6713

Your sophomoric whining has already been countered in multiple other threads. Go there and read them, or shut up about it.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Why should I do a-net’s job and for free mind you?

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

This is not a good example, you would be better off saying, you bought a car, three years later you want the new custom paint job, it can be yours for the price of the new car with the custom paint job (minus the new car) or you can just buy the new model with the custom paint job.

Calcanius.5048

EDIT: @Ephemiel.5694
I have been drinking all day.
You dont need to break your new BOB, since the store clerk took it away, you are still only left with the expansion for your BOB at home, while the person next to you have a BOB and a expansion, and you both payed the same amount.

Question remain: Justify how person 1 gets same value for money as person 2

Posted by: serenity.4712

serenity.4712

Lets all blame Bob.

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

Thanks Arenanet, I’m happy, I understand both arguments but sso many people don’t. CORE GAME IS FREE FOR THOSE WHO DONT ALREADY HAVE IT!!!

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I have been drinking all day.
You dont need to break your new BOB, since the store clerk took it away, you are still only left with the expansion for your BOB at home, while the person next to you have a BOB and a expansion, and you both payed the same amount.

Question remain: Justify how person 1 gets same value for money as person 2

Actually, if we still go by the example, they didn’t take it away, you still have your new BOB until you get home. It’s only until you’re going to install it that you decide whether you want a new factory default BOB + expansion or your personalized BOB + expansion..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The core game is a gift-with-purchase. So it’s free and useful for some people and free and useless for others. Just like all such things.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

The way I see it, it’s like going to eat at a restaurant. You go in, order your main, and eat it. Someone else arrives late, sits down at other table and decides to order. Since you’ve finished your main, you order dessert. You both finish your main and dessert and go to pay. The latecomer pays whatever the cost is and goes on his way. You, however, notice that your dessert had an extra charge – you were charged for the main again, being told that is was actually just the cost of the dessert. You also didn’t receive a second main, so you’re being asked to pay for something you’ve already had, but you don’t even receive an extra for whatever reason you’d want a second main meal.

At the end of the day, nothing is free in a bundle. Marketing aside, it’s all included in the price to try and make it look like a better deal.

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

This example isn’t perfect. Technically, your BOB you have at home has a bunch of aesthetic features and unlocked content on it for having been used throughout the years. You can pick up a new BOB that comes with its own expansion, so you have a new BOB with nothing on it but the expansion, and you have the old BOB with all your old stuff. Or, you can buy the expansion and attach it to your BOB at home, but in removing the expansion from new BOB you need to break the new BOB.

It’s still mostly correct, but it needs to be worded different.

It still results in me tossing part of the new BOB away, which is a waste of money and reduces the value for money of new BOB.

The point remains that whatever I did or did not do with my BOB is my deal and I paid for it with my first purchase.

Now, the company tries to sell a different product, but because I’m an existing customer, I’m forced to discard a product I already own, or part of the new product, which I’m still paying for.

Would it be reasonable for Sony to require that you open up your PS3 case and stuff the innards of a PS4 inside, but still ask for the full price? While new owners get a fresh, new PS4 and a free PS3?

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

Thanks Arenanet, I’m happy, I understand both arguments but sso many people don’t. CORE GAME IS FREE FOR THOSE WHO DONT ALREADY HAVE IT!!!

A lot of people understand that the core game is free for people who DO NOT have it.
That’s the main reason why people are irritated.

No.

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Oh well thanks for clearing that up, problem solved, obviously none of us understood this valuable piece of information.

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

A lot of people understand that the core game is free for people who DO NOT have it.

I get that but all that is, is people being immature, they didn’t pay for theres that’s not fair whaa whaa whaa. How about people look at it as a positive instead of feeling hard done by. Think of it like this, YAY ANET THANKS FOR GIVING SO MANY MORE PEOPLE INCENTIVE TO JOIN THE GAME! its like buying a lotto ticket at the same time as someone next to you, they win you don’t, you people don’t think good for them, you think ohhh dam wish it was me.

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

The core game is a gift-with-purchase. So it’s free and useful for some people and free and useless for others. Just like all such things.

You do NOT get a free copy if you already own the game. You are only supplied one code.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

I’ve never seen such an ungrateful fanbase in my life. They are giving you the base game completely free and you people are still complaining! You guys are incredible…..

Calcanius.5048

@locoman.1974

Love your responce, and are almost going to agree.
Even adde the EDIT regarding BOB being everlasting

But: you are still not giving me a reason why Person 1´s deal is the same as Person 2, do Person 1 realy get the same for his money as person 2 ?

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

I get that but all that is, is people being immature, they didn’t pay for theres that’s not fair whaa whaa whaa. How about people look at it as a positive instead of feeling hard done by. Think of it like this, YAY ANET THANKS FOR GIVING SO MANY MORE PEOPLE INCENTIVE TO JOIN THE GAME! its like buying a lotto ticket at the same time as someone next to you, they win you don’t, you people don’t think good for them, you think ohhh dam wish it was me.

Good for you to feel that way. Most people don’t. This is a video game, not a lottery ticket. Setting false expectations that people need to buy the core game is why so many are angry.

Posted by: Saint Jabberwocky.5098

Saint Jabberwocky.5098

I’ve never seen such an ungrateful fanbase in my life. They are giving you the base game completely free and you people are still complaining! You guys are incredible…..

My g/f has a question for you. If GW2 in now free where can her friends who never bought GW2 and have no interest in the expansion get it for free at so they can enjoy the free game?

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

“Game is free, shut up”, “get a job”, “i bought the game and since i like it, that means my opinion is the only one that matters”, “just use gold to get gems and buy character slot, lazy cheap kitten”, “Anet is great, all praise Anet”, “HoT will clearly be worth the price, stop complaining”

Did i miss anything?

Yeah you did:
“You got 1000s hours of entertainment for $60, you know how many hours of entertainment you got per dollar!? Much cost effective, so savings, wow.”

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

RabbitUp.8294

They are giving us nothing. The fact that we are here means we already have the base game.

In fact, what they did was lie to try and rob a lot of new players of their money by selling them the base game on discount, then change their FAQ and try to charge them again for the exact same product.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

zenleto.6179

You do NOT get a free copy if you already own the game. You are only supplied one code.

Yes, I KNOW this. It’s clearly set up so that its a gift for new customers only. Existing customers don’t need it. The second sentence is more to show what gifts like that are like. It was a bit clumsy but I really need some coffee to get going.

(edited by zenleto.6179)

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

AND EXPANSION STILL ISN’T WOTH $50 ON IT’s OWN. See I can shout too.

RabbitUp.8294

Yes, I KNOW this. It’s clearly set up so that its a gift for new customers only. Existing customers don’t need it.

It’s a “gift” behind a 50 dollar paywall. It’s only a marketing gimmick and nothing else.

Calcanius.5048

@ all the fanboys/white knight and other.
Live up to the challange, dont just cry telling others to shut up, calling them ungratefull.
Is it not about how many hours people spend in a game, it is not about what people are willing to pay.

Challage is: Justify how person 1 gets same value for money as person 2

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

@ Saint: It’s easy tell them to buy HoT and they’ll get GW2 completely free.

@Rabbit: Simply go to the website (do not purchase in game) and purchase HoT and you will get the base game free!

zenleto.6179

Yes, I KNOW this. It’s clearly set up so that its a gift for new customers only. Existing customers don’t need it.

It’s a “gift” behind a 50 dollar paywall. It’s only a marketing gimmick and nothing else.

Which is exactly what a gift-with-purchase is. Congratulations for having some knowledge.

Calcanius.5048

Getting away from the Challange, get back on track.

Challange did not mention any price, so no need to talk about 50/75/100 $/£ or simular, price is not mentioned in the challange, so it does not have a given values, it can be refered to as X for instance.
Challange does not mention time either, so does not matter how many hours you have been in game or plan on spending.

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Ok before ill post my opinion as is somehow a really critic subjet THIS IS A JOKE, saying that here it goes:

Like a Internet celebrity said once “Screw the rules I have money” – LittleKuriboh

AWACS.6537

Which is exactly what a gift-with-purchase is. Congratulations for having some knowledge.

I think you mean “gift”-with-purchase.

No.

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

Haha, this is a terrible. Bob will get old and the new Bob2 will come out soon.

How can you use this example to measure the 3 years between Bob and Bob2?

How can you measure the progression you made compared to someone who will just get Bob2?

How can you measure the free content Bob gave you that Bob2 will not offer.

Both paid the same amount, but who really got to play the game more, progress and craft items, who will have the advantage on Bob2?

The guy who just got Bob or the guy who first at Bob and is waiting for Bob2?

Did you even consider like almost everything else in the world that Bob will depreciate. And in order for people to play the X-pack that businesses have to offer some kind of incentive to new players.

Who wants to join an MMO where all the players are stacked with mats and gold, have the upper curve of the game and know what to look forward too. It bad alone pugs get harassed in dungeons because they weren’t here from the start.

I am a Vet player, I have 2 accounts over 12K AP, probably 1000+ hours clocked in. This community has become so toxic we forgot about the good. If it continues it will turn into a L for everyone.

Xscape

RabbitUp.8294

It’s not a gift, then. There’s no way to get GW2 for free without getting the xpac, there’s no way to get the xpac by itself, so we don’t know what it’s real value is. It’s a bundle, not a gift.

Basically this:

Actually, the expansion is FREE. You only pay 50 bucks for the glider models, everything else is completely free; a kind present from Anet to their whole community.
See how stupid this is? It’s a bundle, you can’t get the base game for free without pre-ordering HoT. Just because some marketing person slaps arbitrary price tags and “estimated values” on these products, the deal doesn’t change.

Marketers can price their products whatever they want. So, if they told you everything is a gift, would you buy the $50 gliders?

Calcanius.5048

@evoRobot.4019

It is not a BOB2
it is a expansion for BOB, and BOB never gets old.
No where in the challange did i mention anything about BOB crafting, having materials, achivement point or amount of gems gotten from gold to gem or purchased from the makers of BOB to help making BOB better.

Sorry but dont see any answeer to the challange in this responce

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

@evoRobot.4019

It is not a BOB2
it is a expansion for BOB, and BOB never gets old.
No where in the challange did i mention anything about BOB crafting, having materials, achivement point or amount of gems gotten from gold to gem or purchased from the makers of BOB to help making BOB better.

Sorry but dont see any answeer to the challange in this responce

Your challenge is terrible like I already said. It has nothing to do with the reality and dimensions of the actual situation.

I asked you if you considered those things while making this “challenge” whats your response to what I have put on the table.

Bob does get old, bob is 3 years old.

Xscape

Posted by: EnergySlam.2793

EnergySlam.2793

Did i miss anything?

Yeah, you missed the “We haven’t even seen all of the content yet, how do you know it’s not worth $50 ?”

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Here is a solution to all argument.Want it, have money for it, Buy it. Want it, no money for it, save up money. Don’t want it, don’t buy it. It is that simple. All the arguments and rioting are getting ridiculous.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

I have a better personal value with my Original BOB simply because I have enjoyed his company longer. If I no longer liked BOB, I would’ve abandoned BOB long ago.
I see that my new purchase of BOB-X has the original features I already have, pre-built, so I am not in need of them, but the new player BOB-X requires the Original BOB to function.
As a proud BOB and BOB-X owner, I have enough rationality to see that I do not require to have more value than the new BOB-X owner, merely equal.
Which I have.
The scratches and dents on my BOB/BOB-X will be more dear to me sentimentally than the new owner of BOB-X’s, because theirs had never been dropped off a Diving Platform.
edits… so confusing w all the BOBs…

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

(edited by tovadaun.6304)

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

All that people are hearing is this from your challenge… “Wah I paid for the game a few years ago, and now new players can buy the expansion and get the game for free.”

You really want them to pay the original price plus the expansion and thats not how you make money as a business.

Its just a loaded question to get the answer you want and not accurate to the actual situation.

AWACS.6537

Let’s not ignore the fact that HoT is not just an expansion. It is now the ‘core’ purchase of the game.

No.

Calcanius.5048

quick answer @ Jongi.7612

Yes i bought the game a few years ago and a few months ago, so did my wife.
Please do enlighten me how i can make the BOB challange more actual

RabbitUp.8294

You really want them to pay the original price plus the expansion and thats not how you make money as a business.

No. I want Anet to offer them GW2 + HoT for $50, and offer me a separate option for just HoT.

There are 2 layers here. New players get GW2 for free, AND veteran players cannot buy HoT alone.

Posted by: Echosys.2406

Echosys.2406

I was actually tempted to see that somebody finally trying to go in a logical way. But then, you just destroyed it.
“BOB is everylasting, does not break or gets old”
Basically you found something that can easily solve your challange… and then.. well.. excluded.

But then again, heres my answer:
We can’t deny our affections, and interests… nor devalue our or their desires or sense of value. The 2 person who entered that shop, and buyed BoB + expansion is too persons wo deserves ther own choice. But as you stated, they buyed BoB + expansion.

Person 1 already has BoB he\she familiar with it. But he buyed BoB + expansion prolly because the exp. Person 1 already know and have the values of BoB. and now even the exp.

Person 2 buyes BoB + expansion because he\she values it, or heard, read, seend something in BoB + expansion. Basically buys it, because he \she interested in it.

Conclusion:

They both buyed BoB + expansion and not to mention that Person 1 recieves only expansion cuz he\she already have it. In the other hand person 2 recieves BoB + expansion.

It seems Person 1 recieves less than person 2 is that right? No
We already knew that they buyed it, even person 1 who only recieves and needs only expansion. Whats that mean? simple. person 1 leaves with an even value of his money. he\she not even brothered by BoB cuz he\she already have it. He\she solely needed expansion, therefore he buyed it. his\her values were different, but not in money, its in the type of interest he\she had.

They leaved the shop with the same product, arrived at home, and used it different.

It’s even doesn’t matter if you have or do not have BoB.. cuz you stated both of them buyed it, left with it….its just the way they consumes.

“How do you think person 1 feels now ?”
Obviously happy with his\her product, don’t let me state it again why.

“Justify how person 1 gets same value for money as person 2”
I’ts matter of interest, and the way of consume.

Also in note:
You asked it how person 1 feels… and whit this you also stated that he\she is a person. thats basicaly means her values can’t be compared… even if we compare it… does that mean, they even? can’t be compared, theres no bigger, or smaller.

Calcanius.5048

@tovadaun.6304

Love the whole sentimal view of BOB,
But lets be honest, even though you love your old BOB and have takend him to several Diving platforms and he has gotten so many lovely dents and scratches.
Dont you like you are doing a bad deal when you go to the shop to get a bowtie for your dentent old BOB, and see that the person next to you gets the same bowtie and a brand new BOB for the same price as you ?

Sadly Emotions was not part of the challange, hell if wanted yo talk about emotions i could talk about my 51 level 80 charaters.

Calcanius.5048

@ Echosys.2406
kitten getting to drunk to think clear, almost seems like you have found a loophole.
Will get back to that when more sober

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

I’ve had this game for almost 3 years. If three years ago, you told me I could save $60 dollars and get the core game for free three years later with the purchase of the expansion, I wouldn’t wait, I would buy it all over again. The hours I spend playing this game are worth way more to me than whatever physical currency I spent on it. Priceless.

Calcanius.5048

@Fantastic.5298
Good for you, still have nothing to do with the challange

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

EDIT: BOB is everylasting, does not break or gets old

Well this edit right ruined the whole BOB thing for me. You can’t compare something that never breaks or gets old to gw2 seeing that so many call this game broken as is.

Since BOB never gets old I’d suggest taking BOB to the WvW forums and check out all the past threads about how WvW is completely ignored and we are still playing on the same OLD maps.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel