Change to HoT Story Gating

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ashreon.2840

Ashreon.2840

What a shame. Listening to casuals, just because they have to work to continue their story mission. HOW HORRIBLE IT MUST BE.

Did you also complain back in GW2 when you had to get 10 levels to reach the next Story Line? How utterly pathetic.

This is not supposed to be a rush through the entire thing. If it were.. then what the **** would you be doing the rest of the time?
- It’s meant as a long term investment, not instant gratification. I wish. ******* would get it through their thick skulls instead of ruining for the rest.

Posted by: apodelaman.6215

apodelaman.6215

@ Matt. Scrap the whole game and start over. HoT is a major fail! be seeing you.

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

When will we have the patch? It’s 2:00pm PST now.

Posted by: Trego.6182

Trego.6182

Finished it with that mastery farm and its worth it. Final fight is amazing.

There are things that are beautiful , because one cannot obtain them.
There is neither Shadow nor Light, only Gray remains.

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

Do NOT cave on Elite specializations. Everyone already gets access to the new weapon skills that can be used to further unlock the rest of the traits by PLAYING THE GAME. Unlocking your elite traits is no different than how you would progress new characters in other mmos. You get skills every other level by…PLAYING THE GAME. Just like in GW2 you get traits and skills by playing the game. You only need 40 HP…less if you prepared yourself for this expansion. Are you guys new to MMO’s? And once you unlock the mysteries needed to get to the HPs on your first character the rest of your characters won’t have to unlock anything.

Using the weapon at that stage leaves you with an empty traitline, for level 80 content (and harder content for HoT) that just doesn’t work.

I don’t mind putting in effort, but I’d rather put that effort into playing the game for masteries, the story and exploration rather than having to go out of my way to farm hero points if I want to play (a viable) elite spec.

It just takes a bit too long, 200 hero points would be more than enough. New characters would need to put in a lot of effort, spending a fair few hours unlocking it and older characters with map completion etc would need to do a little effort to unlock it.

That’s the problem. You want it all now. How does it take to long though when the expansion has only been out for 2 days? Relax and stop trying to rush. HoT’s not going anywhere.

Look if you really want to get it done fast just go do the Mad King instance, or EoTM and just buy all of the HP’s if you are dead set on rushing yourself through everything. But trying to get Anet to get rid of character progression thats been a part of GW since 2005 is just….no.

You only need to get the unlocks on your first character. The others can just go straight to the HP’s ( the ones that don’t involve champ slaying ) without worrying about whether or not you have poison mastery or updraft ect ect.

The problem is it is not progression, it is a flat out grind. Progression was getting to level to 80 in whatever game mode you choose, whether toming up through pvp reward tracks, or smashing zergs in wvw, or PVE content…. etc. While being able to play a class that is new and is viable for the level/area you are at.

Now at level 80 unlocking the new trait line (that is not inherently better, just a new way to play) at an excessively slow pace compared to prior trait lines you are left playing WvW or PVE with an extremely sub-par spec for a VERY long time if you choose to equip that line, thus forcing players to rush through and grind, grind, grind in a Ktrain, or do new zone, and again grind. I have to grit my teeth to do anything out of pvp/wvw/fractals/dungeons/event minigames, and would rather be able to unlock the profession reasonably, in a gamemode I enjoy. Is that too hard to ask? (and no ktraining through EOTM does not count as enjoying WVW)

Remember also many players have to grind on 8+ players, so they have to suffer through content they may not enjoy many, many times. Why not allow progression through just being able to play the game as you want? Because right now doing that you may have one elite spec unlocked by next year at this time if you don’t get bored of playing as the same old spec for that long.

The underlying assumption all the folks that discount the issue have is that: “This pve zone isn’t too bad, just do the long mastery grind once, then grind through the near impossible zone to navigate, do hero challenges, and then do those again on all your characters, don’t you just love this progression? Oh and by the way, screw anyone who doesn’t do the map completion stuff, they don’t belong on guild wars anyway because what I enjoy should be what they enjoy.”

What is a very long time to you? Expansion launched 12:01A.M Friday. Its Sunday. No one is forcing you to rush anything mate. You just wait to have it all unlocked now. I feel like the BETA weekends are the reasons for this; people got to comfortable with instantly having access to the elite specs and now that they added progression to them (just like every mmo in existence) its seen as a problem. Oh and it won’t take a year to unlock one elite spec lol. Im about 70% done with my Scrapper already through playing through one zone that im not even done with yet.

I have 9 level 80s. I only need the mysteries completed on my main. After that my other 8 will have easy access to the 40 HPs. I would never tell someone they don’t belong in GW because they don’t like what i enjoy. But you do realize that other people actually do enjoy seeing their character become stronger as they play through the game unlocking masters and traits? And you guys want to get rid of it so you can have instantly access only 2 days after the expansion released.

The problem with your group of players that say “all is fine” don’t realize than not everyone wants to go to the PVE zone, I have been commanding trains in EOTM because it is more bearable to me, but the pace, even while farming is mind numbingly slow, the thing is you get pretty much no progression playing through the game mode as intended. There also aren’t other options like a pvp reward track etc… out there, so really you are forced to either A. Go to a PVE zone and grind there, or B. Go to a WvW ktrain and grind there, instead of playing for fun in order to get the new play style that you want.

Any large period of time in a game that you are forced to essentially have a poor experience in order to unlock the new content to go back to playing the content you enjoy is bad for the health of the game.

I think you absolutely misunderstand the argument, and just come in saying nonsensical things like everyone else that thinks its fine, discounting the problem that it is, in fact a grind, and not progression.

Slowpokeking.8720

It’s 2:30 now, come on.

Posted by: Zargoon.9835

Zargoon.9835

Would love to get an ETA on this, very excited to continue the story. Thanks!

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

Do NOT cave on Elite specializations. Everyone already gets access to the new weapon skills that can be used to further unlock the rest of the traits by PLAYING THE GAME. Unlocking your elite traits is no different than how you would progress new characters in other mmos. You get skills every other level by…PLAYING THE GAME. Just like in GW2 you get traits and skills by playing the game. You only need 40 HP…less if you prepared yourself for this expansion. Are you guys new to MMO’s? And once you unlock the mysteries needed to get to the HPs on your first character the rest of your characters won’t have to unlock anything.

Using the weapon at that stage leaves you with an empty traitline, for level 80 content (and harder content for HoT) that just doesn’t work.

I don’t mind putting in effort, but I’d rather put that effort into playing the game for masteries, the story and exploration rather than having to go out of my way to farm hero points if I want to play (a viable) elite spec.

It just takes a bit too long, 200 hero points would be more than enough. New characters would need to put in a lot of effort, spending a fair few hours unlocking it and older characters with map completion etc would need to do a little effort to unlock it.

That’s the problem. You want it all now. How does it take to long though when the expansion has only been out for 2 days? Relax and stop trying to rush. HoT’s not going anywhere.

Look if you really want to get it done fast just go do the Mad King instance, or EoTM and just buy all of the HP’s if you are dead set on rushing yourself through everything. But trying to get Anet to get rid of character progression thats been a part of GW since 2005 is just….no.

You only need to get the unlocks on your first character. The others can just go straight to the HP’s ( the ones that don’t involve champ slaying ) without worrying about whether or not you have poison mastery or updraft ect ect.

The problem is it is not progression, it is a flat out grind. Progression was getting to level to 80 in whatever game mode you choose, whether toming up through pvp reward tracks, or smashing zergs in wvw, or PVE content…. etc. While being able to play a class that is new and is viable for the level/area you are at.

Now at level 80 unlocking the new trait line (that is not inherently better, just a new way to play) at an excessively slow pace compared to prior trait lines you are left playing WvW or PVE with an extremely sub-par spec for a VERY long time if you choose to equip that line, thus forcing players to rush through and grind, grind, grind in a Ktrain, or do new zone, and again grind. I have to grit my teeth to do anything out of pvp/wvw/fractals/dungeons/event minigames, and would rather be able to unlock the profession reasonably, in a gamemode I enjoy. Is that too hard to ask? (and no ktraining through EOTM does not count as enjoying WVW)

Remember also many players have to grind on 8+ players, so they have to suffer through content they may not enjoy many, many times. Why not allow progression through just being able to play the game as you want? Because right now doing that you may have one elite spec unlocked by next year at this time if you don’t get bored of playing as the same old spec for that long.

The underlying assumption all the folks that discount the issue have is that: “This pve zone isn’t too bad, just do the long mastery grind once, then grind through the near impossible zone to navigate, do hero challenges, and then do those again on all your characters, don’t you just love this progression? Oh and by the way, screw anyone who doesn’t do the map completion stuff, they don’t belong on guild wars anyway because what I enjoy should be what they enjoy.”

What is a very long time to you? Expansion launched 12:01A.M Friday. Its Sunday. No one is forcing you to rush anything mate. You just wait to have it all unlocked now. I feel like the BETA weekends are the reasons for this; people got to comfortable with instantly having access to the elite specs and now that they added progression to them (just like every mmo in existence) its seen as a problem. Oh and it won’t take a year to unlock one elite spec lol. Im about 70% done with my Scrapper already through playing through one zone that im not even done with yet.

I have 9 level 80s. I only need the mysteries completed on my main. After that my other 8 will have easy access to the 40 HPs. I would never tell someone they don’t belong in GW because they don’t like what i enjoy. But you do realize that other people actually do enjoy seeing their character become stronger as they play through the game unlocking masters and traits? And you guys want to get rid of it so you can have instantly access only 2 days after the expansion released.

The problem with your group of players that say “all is fine” don’t realize than not everyone wants to go to the PVE zone, I have been commanding trains in EOTM because it is more bearable to me, but the pace, even while farming is mind numbingly slow, the thing is you get pretty much no progression playing through the game mode as intended. There also aren’t other options like a pvp reward track etc… out there, so really you are forced to either A. Go to a PVE zone and grind there, or B. Go to a WvW ktrain and grind there, instead of playing for fun in order to get the new play style that you want.

Any large period of time in a game that you are forced to essentially have a poor experience in order to unlock the new content to go back to playing the content you enjoy is bad for the health of the game.

I think you absolutely misunderstand the argument, and just come in saying nonsensical things like everyone else that thinks its fine, discounting the problem that it is, in fact a grind, and not progression.

IT all boils down to you wanting it all unlocked now. Just like everyone else who shares your view in this thread. You trying to have everything unlocked 2 days after release is whats making it a grind. You aren’t suppose to have everything unlocked so quickly my man.

Slowpokeking.8720

It’s 3: 11 pm now.

Posted by: suialthor.7164

suialthor.7164

Hey all,

I just wanted to pop in here real briefly to let you all know that the team discussed the complaints we’ve been seeing here about the masteries gating story progression, and with tomorrow’s patch we’ll be removing the Itzel Poison mastery gate from chapter 14 “Sign Cutting”. If you were already on this step, when you next log in, your story step should automatically advance as though you had earned the mastery. If you haven’t reached this point, you shouldn’t notice anything different (apart from the fact that you can progress the story faster). If you’ve already advanced past this point by earning the mastery, well there’s just no other way to say it: you’re a rock star, and you deserve an ice cold beverage and a toast from the story team at Arenanet! :-)

I don’t have an exact ETA on when this fix will go Live, but we just wanted to get the word out there ASAP so that if you’re currently on this step, you might want to wait as you will have the ability to bypass this gate sometime tomorrow.

We wanted to use mastery gating as a way to try and prepare you for the challenges ahead the deeper into the Maguuma that you went, but we realize that in this particular scenario, it ended up not being the experience we wanted for all of you and we wanted to correct it.

See you in the jungle!

Is there going to be any changes to the xp gains? Farming the same events repeatedly is not fun. Farming the same mobs without an event is not fun.

These new zones desperately need Renown Hearts to help mask/balance the grinding.

Posted by: GrandPaladinTyrux.5918

GrandPaladinTyrux.5918

Do you guys think you could give an ETA on when this is going to go live? Its already 3pm PST, an update would be appreciated.

Grand Paladin Tyrux [RoFR]
Human Dragonhunter
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

IT all boils down to you wanting it all unlocked now. Just like everyone else who shares your view in this thread. You trying to have everything unlocked 2 days after release is whats making it a grind. You aren’t suppose to have everything unlocked so quickly my man.

NO IT does not, again, someone FAILING to read, the fact of the matter is a large number of players are left out to dry, and it is a grind, I never once said “I want it right now” and everyone else has said the same thing, I think you and your groupies that discount this are incapable of reading or comprehension.

There need to be other ways to get the spec that DO NOT involve a Ktrain, or grinding a PVE map. Many players do not enjoy that.

Slowpokeking.8720

It’s 3:40pm now, why couldn’t we even get the ETA?

Slowpokeking.8720

Seriously, why does it take so long to remove the mastery? Come on most of the day has passed.

Slowpokeking.8720

4:00 PM PST, no Patch, no ETA? What the heck is this?

Posted by: Fhenrir.5297

Fhenrir.5297

4:00 PM PST, no Patch, no ETA? What the heck is this?

get a life, it’s Sunday, plus it’s probably much more complicated than it seems.

Posted by: MikeyGrey.2496

MikeyGrey.2496

patch says its done but some got it & others didnt. mine still requires it

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Mine still requires Itzel Poison Lore to progress

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

They patched game and its still not fixed. how many Anet employees does it take to fix a light bulb? you keep people waiting all day only to screw up again.

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

I also still need the mastery.

Posted by: Zoberraz.2694

Zoberraz.2694

I still require Itzel Poison Lore as well.
I’ve tried combinations of:

- changing maps,
- quitting the episode and resuming it.
- Quitting the episode, replaying the previous episode, going back to start the gated episode
- Closing the game client and relaunching the game

Result:
Still get the Itzel Poison Lore requirement both in the quest blurb and in the mission journal.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Everybody on my map who’s trying to do it is bugging in the marking stage over and over, at random different marks.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

found a fix!

choose 13….then re-choose 14….char select…log out….log in

Slowpokeking.8720

Everybody on my map who’s trying to do it is bugging in the marking stage over and over, at random different marks.

Same.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

found a fix!

does not work

Posted by: Amfibija.6925

Amfibija.6925

found a fix!

That worked, thanks

Posted by: slaverce.6375

slaverce.6375

found a fix!

worked for me.

Posted by: Cardovillian.2403

Cardovillian.2403

found a fix!

Thanks! Worked for me too.

RedDeadFred.1256

found a fix!

I… wasn’t expecting that to work.

Thank you, you wonderful human being!

Posted by: Natzo.4019

Natzo.4019

Well, after working around it I could continue, but one of Rox’s tracks is bugged.

RedDeadFred.1256

Annnd the next step is bugged.

Posted by: MikeyGrey.2496

MikeyGrey.2496

found a fix!

as an addon, do it in tangled depths. I was trying in la and wasnt working. many thanks to you sir

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

slaverce.6375

indeed. the Rox’s markings rock on the ground cant be interacted with.

slaverce.6375

found a fix. apply previous steps a second time from another zone, then zone back in and viola.

Labjax.2465

The swap mission stuff can get you past the poison requirement bug, but then you get bugged on the markings, so yeah. Don’t get your hopes up too much with the “workaround” guys. It’s majorly bugged.

Or words to that effect.

Labjax.2465

Actually, I may have found a workaround for the bugged markings (that or my persistent resetting of the quest got me through and I got lucky).

The possible workaround is this… approach the marking slowly when you get within range, so that it updates each part incrementally, rather than updating chunks at a time. For the last one (the one by the wp leading into the next zone) I recommend wping and then slowly approach the marking. If you don’t have the wp unlocked already, you probably will eventually from it bugging out on you.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: MatthewMedina

Previous

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

We’ll take a look at the next step “Sign Cutting” being bugged out, as well as some or all of you having to jump through hoops to get the quest to update correctly. Sorry again for the inconvenience – we’ll have the quest’s designer and QA do a deeper dive on these issues.

Posted by: Murgraal.3415

Murgraal.3415

I don’t know i’ve got to level 8 mastery and it haven’t felt like a grind for me for even 1 hour. I’m slowly progressing in the story, then just exploring the beautiful map, killing some stuff that appears in front of me and doing an event or 2 and suddenly i’m done with my mastery track. Then i go do some hero challenges on my characters to work towards my Elite Specs for awhile and realize, that i have another mastery and continue my story. I don’t really think the game is designed to be grindy, it’s just that people want to grind to get faster through the whole experience, which i think is rather their problem than the actual games. It’s just the mentality of min maxing everything that is ruining people’s gameplay experiences i think. I’ve been enjoying this expansion alot and playing for hours and there’s still tons of stuff to do.

Good job arenanet, it’s nice that you took out a 4 level mastery gate from the story, which is kinda making there to be a too big of a gap between story mission to maybe make the player forget what happened before and force them to play the episodes again, so that was a nice design choice on your behalf

Posted by: Koolaid.9152

Koolaid.9152

Any update on elite spec? ;0 or is it going to stay 400

Slowpokeking.8720

We’ll take a look at the next step “Sign Cutting” being bugged out, as well as some or all of you having to jump through hoops to get the quest to update correctly. Sorry again for the inconvenience – we’ll have the quest’s designer and QA do a deeper dive on these issues.

Seriously, DO NOT make mission in openworld area again, it bugs every time.

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

what about city of hope? requires exalted mastery to continue -_-

Posted by: Crrrystal.6845

Crrrystal.6845

“Sign Cutting” being bugged out

How long will this take?

Posted by: Memphis.3274

Memphis.3274

For anyone with Rox’s markings that are stuck : relog after each marking fixed it for me. It’s not ideal, but you can finish the story mission

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Going to a different zone removed the requirement for me.

Crrrystal.6845

For anyone with Rox’s markings that are stuck : relog after each marking fixed it for me. It’s not ideal, but you can finish the story mission

Not working for me.

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

I’ve reset this quest about 20 times now, but at some point the markings keep bugging out. I’ve tried approaching from all corners, approaching slowly, approaching quickly, relogging inbetween the markings, nothing worked.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Thank you Anet!

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Crrrystal.6845

Thank you Anet!

Shout out to Anet!

Posted by: superherofan.8042

superherofan.8042

It’s still giving me the “do this mastery” note when doing all the things listed here.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

What a shame. Listening to casuals, just because they have to work to continue their story mission. HOW HORRIBLE IT MUST BE.

I would bet that “casuals” outnumber the hardcore geeks. Democracy wins.