Change to HoT Story Gating

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Iceh.2745

Iceh.2745

Chiming in to say that it’s also bugged for me. Could read the first marking, and it gets bugged at the second. Tried re-logging, killing and restarting the client, dropping the quest and restarting and leaving the zone and coming back. None of these worked.

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

We’ll take a look at the next step “Sign Cutting” being bugged out, as well as some or all of you having to jump through hoops to get the quest to update correctly. Sorry again for the inconvenience – we’ll have the quest’s designer and QA do a deeper dive on these issues.

Still silence on the larger issue at hand, when is the elite spec grind going to be addressed?

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Fix the Elite Specialization . I want to play my class not PvE for it.

this.

+1000

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: Crrrystal.6845

Crrrystal.6845

How much longer until this is fixed?

Posted by: Nyx.1256

Nyx.1256

found a fix!

choose 13….then re-choose 14….char select…log out….log in

I would like to add that this fix didn’t work for me and guildies UNTIL we entered tangled depths/auric basin and tried it there. If you try this fix in a core tyrian map it will not work but I think if you try it in a hot map it should work. Hope that helps

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

what about city of hope? requires exalted mastery to continue -_-

i felt like all the other mastery requirements prior to suddenly needing to go from itzel 1 to itzel 4 were quite reasonable

We’ll take a look at the next step “Sign Cutting” being bugged out, as well as some or all of you having to jump through hoops to get the quest to update correctly. Sorry again for the inconvenience – we’ll have the quest’s designer and QA do a deeper dive on these issues.

Still silence on the larger issue at hand, when is the elite spec grind going to be addressed?

that is a non issue, its not a grind (that would be doing the same thing over and over) and its not that hard

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Strzalka.9451

Strzalka.9451

I should be upset that you removed this gate after I already completed story but I suppose I didn’t technically lose out on anything and now I have itzel poison lore 4 so I guess all’s well that ends well.

Elite spec is also complete, full druid here. It seemed excessive at first but once you really get into it the HP come pretty quick.

Diabel Zwierze/Ranger
80’s – Necro/War/Ele/Guard

hurrado.2346

that is a non issue, its not a grind (that would be doing the same thing over and over) and its not that hard

It absolutely is a grind, I HATE world completion content, I have 10 characters that I have to unlock the elite spec on each of them, thus doing the same, boring content that takes forever over and over again. And the WvW way is just a constant, painfully slow ktrain.

If that isn’t grinding I don’t know what is.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

It absolutely is a grind, I HATE world completion content, I have 10 characters that I have to unlock the elite spec on each of them, thus doing the same, boring content that takes forever over and over again. And the WvW way is just a constant, painfully slow ktrain.

You are right. It is a grind. But only because you make it so. “I have to unlock the elite spec on each of them”. Self-imposed behaviour at its finest. Did you also give yourself a deadline? You act like Tony Montana is gonna show up at your door with a baseball bat if you don’t have at least 10 chars with fully unlocked elite specs.

My tip: forget about your 10 alts for a while. Pick the one you want to play first and just play that character. You can worry about elite specs for your 10 other toons later. It doesn’t have to be a chore if you don’t make it one.

Posted by: tokyoshoe.6308

tokyoshoe.6308

The fact that I have to wait (pretty much) to even use my Elite Specialization until I have COMPLETED Heart of Thorns is a real let down. Combined this with the absurd difficulty of the expansion preventing me from being able to solo across the open world map segments.. and it becomes even more of a disappointment.

I really hope something gets done about this Elite Specialization unlocking thing. I thought we’d be able to use the Elite Spec DURING Heart of Thorns… not after we’re done with it.

< Ferguson’s Crossing >
WAY too many alts to list here.

Posted by: hathreyn.4138

hathreyn.4138

As someone that finished Chronomancer 100% I can say that while it took a while, this has nothing on some of the rep grinds that WoW required for content. I also had 100% map completion, which meant I was already starting with around 210 hero points including what I had from Dry Top and Silverwastes, the game has been out for 3 years for classes excluding the Revenant you had plenty of time to work on map completion. You want Anet to cater to you because you don’t like map completion. What about the people who do or have done it? If they rebalance the elite specs that stilll leaves a lot of hero points left over for nothing, there are still hero challenges to do for people that went in with map completion on their mains with nothing to unlock meaning they’ll be saved for future elite specs, a quick count has me with 21 hero challenges in HoT left to complete. In any MMO it’s a situation where you can’t please anyone and both sides are extreme. If you could get everything in one day people would complain, now that people can’t get everything in one day they still complain.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

buh. Why do you cave in to complainers?

Because they are darn right and Anet knows it.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

hurrado.2346

You are right. It is a grind. But only because you make it so. “I have to unlock the elite spec on each of them”. Self-imposed behaviour at its finest. Did you also give yourself a deadline? You act like Tony Montana is gonna show up at your door with a baseball bat if you don’t have at least 10 chars with fully unlocked elite specs.

My tip: forget about your 10 alts for a while. Pick the one you want to play first and just play that character. You can worry about elite specs for your 10 other toons later. It doesn’t have to be a chore if you don’t make it one.

You must not do WvW, yes I want the lines on all my characters so that way I can have them geared and ready to go for raids. PVE only players like you wouldn’t understand, and that is evident through the fact that you all are still arguing the same nonsense points over and over again, and they have been shut down repeatedly by the people that do have a problem with the hero point grind.

There is no way in which this is not a grind.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

For those having issues getting Chapter 14 to work with the markings, read:

I, with some in-game assistance from fellow players, worked out a solution for the rocks.

I don’t know if it’s intended, but the mechanism behind the progression for Chapter 14 on each rock to investigate relies on whether or not your character actively searches and spends time within the area.

In other words, if you want the toggle for examining each rock to appear, have the bar shrink and expand as you search the entire area, even if you know where you need to go.

I don’t know what sort of back-end mechanics it was, but people were having success with it.

So at each rock, spend a bit more time ‘looking’ around for the markings letting the meter fill bit by bit, with it frequently shrinking back, and it will progress you to the next rock.

This is how myself and a couple confirmed others made it through the Chapter.

Thank you.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

You must not do WvW, yes I want the lines on all my characters so that way I can have them geared and ready to go for raids. PVE only players like you wouldn’t understand, and that is evident through the fact that you all are still arguing the same nonsense points over and over again, and they have been shut down repeatedly by the people that do have a problem with the hero point grind.

I participate in all three game modes. If one game mode offers a more fun or convenient way to reach a certain goal than another then I simply adapt. I suggest you learn to do the same.

Good luck & have fun

Posted by: Crrrystal.6845

Crrrystal.6845

For those having issues getting Chapter 14 to work with the markings, read:

I, with some in-game assistance from fellow players, worked out a solution for the rocks.

I don’t know if it’s intended, but the mechanism behind the progression for Chapter 14 on each rock to investigate relies on whether or not your character actively searches and spends time within the area.

In other words, if you want the toggle for examining each rock to appear, have the bar shrink and expand as you search the entire area, even if you know where you need to go.

I don’t know what sort of back-end mechanics it was, but people were having success with it.

So at each rock, spend a bit more time ‘looking’ around for the markings letting the meter fill bit by bit, with it frequently shrinking back, and it will progress you to the next rock.

This is how myself and a couple confirmed others made it through the Chapter.

Thank you.

I did this for each new track. It bugged on the first one the first time, second the second, first the third, 5th the next, first, second, etc. Doesn’t work.

hurrado.2346

I participate in all three game modes. If one game mode offers a more fun or convenient way to reach a certain goal than another then I simply adapt. I suggest you learn to do the same.

Good luck & have fun

You all are just absolutely blind and ignorant to the actual problem, it has been outlined across countless threads and you still can’t even understand it. Not everyone plays like you so stop acting like we should.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

i have tried it all ways and none work maybe this is some perverted time gate

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Anet send this patch to millions of players and its kittened then they tell us its going to CA if this was a fast food burger chain we would be looking at a kitten load of corpses.

Posted by: Habataku.5631

Habataku.5631

Not to be annoying by asking but is their any news on how long it will take for this bug to be fixed? I just tried to do it now, and i see some stones laying around but they arent marked on the map and when i hit the option to interact nothing happens :/ That was after trying forever to lose the “Learn Itzel Poison Lore” message lol

Posted by: Ailinen Greenleaf.8562

Ailinen Greenleaf.8562

Really don’t understand why you removed it. It’s only matter of playing.
I am enjoying the story even if I have to earn masteries before continuing it.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Didnt work for me, cancled it played again nothing works thanks A Net for time gating well done.

What a bull shi it

Edit: after doing the previous quest 2 times it works but then the sign cutting quest is bugged cause you cannot interact with the sign Anet at its best

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

(edited by Haralin.1473)

Posted by: Zargoon.9835

Zargoon.9835

found a fix!

choose 13….then re-choose 14….char select…log out….log in

Worked for me too, but I also had to change regions from LA to auric basin to get it to trigger. Thanks!

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Didnt work for me, cancled it played again nothing works thanks A Net for time gating well done.

What a bull shi it

Edit: after doing the previous quest 2 times it works but then the sign cutting quest is bugged cause you cannot interact with the sign Anet at its best

Open your eyes a bit before you start talking kitten. You don’t actually interact with the sign, you just keep following her tracks. Maybe you cant read…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve restarted, swapped chapters, swapped alts, swapped zones, and I still have text saying to train Itzel Poison Lore. I just took this screenshot, Mon Oct 26 1:35 pm eastern.

I was following the rocks but the second one offered no response to interaction and did not trigger the next rock, I just lost the green star.

/will keep trying

EDIT: The next try worked! I am progressing to the next zone.,

Attachments:

(edited by Donari.5237)

Posted by: lnguy.5127

lnguy.5127

Still bugged for me. Need to train the Itzel poison mastery before I can continue.

Posted by: DisC.4517

DisC.4517

Still bugged for me. Need to train the Itzel poison mastery before I can continue.

Same for me still cant proceed don’t have the mastery

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

I tried everything to get it to work and what worked for me was, I clicked to replay mission 13, then quit to start mission 14 again.
I got the error saying I need the poison mastery, logged out, logged in and it was back to just finding the stones.
I ran and got all the stones no problem.

I think what made the bug for me happen on the last stone is I used a waypoint. So I just ran the whole way without teleporting. So if you die, and the waypoints do bug it out, you’ll probably get bugged, but that is just a guess.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

Thanks for listening. I know it’s not easy to design challenges so they are neither too easy, nor too difficult. The effort to make things better is appreciated.

Posted by: Elthionel.4895

Elthionel.4895

Here’s a suggestion: Can you just unlock all the navigation base masteries by default?

Means we don’t have to follow the story, but we can explore and participate in events as we want. No XP bottlenecks to progress the story if we so choose.

It would return most of the game to the way it was, easy access and open world exploration. Definitely would resolve a lot of the disappointment many of us have with your approach to the new content.

I’d say just give everyone an elite spec to use with their favorite character too, but i know that’s a bridge too far for you….

Posted by: Littlekenny.4196

Littlekenny.4196

My opinion on gating for the story is that it would be fine if players were able to do what they enjoy to get the mastery points instead of having to PvE in the new areas. I personally play WvW and dislike playing PvE so I would like to be able to do masteries in WvW to continue the story.

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Thanks, now take the rest of the game from this tedious grind.

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

What I did to make it work: Quit chapter 14, start 13, quit 13, start 14, change your map location. When you start 14 again, it will tell you that you need the poison mastery. Then the “quest” changed to “Find Rox’s first marking” after map switch(I ported from tangled dephs to verdant blink), instead of earning mastery point and dat poison thing.

Dunno if this works for others.

Posted by: Nex Vestrum.1025

Nex Vestrum.1025

What I did to make it work: Quit chapter 14, start 13, quit 13, start 14, change your map location. When you start 14 again, it will tell you that you need the poison mastery. Then the “quest” changed to “Find Rox’s first marking” after map switch(I ported from tangled dephs to verdant blink), instead of earning mastery point and dat poison thing.

Dunno if this works for others.

Worked for me! Thanks!

Posted by: Nex Vestrum.1025

Nex Vestrum.1025

Now My party members and I are having a bug where we approach the rock but are not able to interact with it. Have to completely restart the chapter and start at the first rock.

Posted by: Haruka.9624

Haruka.9624

Now My party members and I are having a bug where we approach the rock but are not able to interact with it. Have to completely restart the chapter and start at the first rock.

I think that I have same trouble, but I tried by 2 toons.
Nec, my 1st try after Posoin Lore req removed – bugged on Rox’s 3rd marker
War. my 2nd try after Nec bugged – passed to end

If I need submit ticket, I shall do. But I guess this will happen for random toons. Please fix Lelldoug Nine’s personal story “Sign Cutting”.

Posted by: alan.5863

alan.5863

For anyone with Rox’s markings that are stuck : relog after each marking fixed it for me. It’s not ideal, but you can finish the story mission

Didn’t work for me. I’m still stuck at “Follow Rox’s Trail”, which is greyed out with a checkmark by it. I found the first one, but upon arriving at the second, there is no way to progress. I tried character swapping, logging out of the game entirely and relaunching, the whole nine. Nothing.

Just a tad frustrating. I’ve been getting into the story, but now I’m forced to stop. :|

Edit: To be specific, The prompt to interact appears at the first tracks and the second tracks. However, no matter how hard I try, I cannot for the life of me get the interact function to work on the second set of tracks.

(edited by alan.5863)

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I did the whole quit chapter 14, start 13, and so on, and was able to start. However, the third rock chose held no interaction (although I was able to select to interact, nothing happen, and my char said nothing). Tried restarting it again, and couldn’t interact with the second rock, I think it was. Will keep trying for as long as I can be bothered, but may well end up having the previously required mastery before it works.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

By the way Anet devs, Dulfy posted a nice guide to obtaining hero points for the first 3 maps in HoT: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Hero-Points-Guide-for-HoT

After looking through it, I’m even more ticked off because you’re even gating map completion to Masteries and in the event of Auric Basin, a hard meta event that I haven’t once seen completed. It’s as if you folks really don’t want people to complete maps despite putting all the hours and time into them. Are you that desperate to try and lose players?

For Verdant Brinks, the first zone people would play in HoT, I can understand requiring Basic Gliding and even Updraft. But requiring Nuhoch Proving on the first map? Are you kidding me?

So please, while you’re changing story gating, please go right ahead and get rid of some unwarranted gates for map completion and hero points. Thank you.

Posted by: imidacloprid.2948

imidacloprid.2948

After trying all the relogging/quest reset stuff, I’m still having issues with Sign Cutting. The fix definitely made the first step work, but at the second and third step it is still failing to update.

Haruka.9624

While my Nec can not play that step, My Mes did complete all story in spite Nec was 1st runner
Sadly, Bugs are stronger than the plant dragon…

Posted by: Medavc.3017

Medavc.3017

This is a bit much this was a so-posed fixed issue a day ago? walk in try interact with stones nothing.rest the story after going out of zone nothing.log on on top of them nothing.This is a huge issue i can not move forward in my story at this point.so what gives is it fixed broken or are you going to remove it.I would like to get on with my story line this is a huge hold up.im a person who loves the story line but when it stays broken like this there not really anything i want to do in game.

Posted by: Bufu.8027

Bufu.8027

I found a way that worked for me after trying everything above and it failed.

Fix ur quest by selecting 13 and than 14, that relog on the map to update it.

than move close to the stone, about 80% complete on the bar, like in 10 meters away or smt. than log out and log in u should see the green above the stone appear, than interact. do that before each stone. dont uproach it unless u see the green bubble above it after u logged it, just move a bit closer and redo
hope it helps

Haruka.9624

I found a way that worked for me after trying everything above and it failed.

Fix ur quest by selecting 13 and than 14, that relog on the map to update it.

than move close to the stone, about 80% complete on the bar, like in 10 meters away or smt. than log out and log in u should see the green above the stone appear, than interact. do that before each stone. dont uproach it unless u see the green bubble above it after u logged it, just move a bit closer and redo
hope it helps

Great help, your plan worked for me! Thank you <3

Posted by: Malchir.4798

Malchir.4798

I have a similar problem with mission 2. I had to learn how to glide before i could continue with the story. However, i activated a chapter of season 2, played that and went looking for Hero Points afterwards. Just got enough experience to master gliding while doing that, so i switched back to the HoT Story… but the mission is still telling me to learn how to glide and i don’t know how to progress now… :/

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I like gates. They keep me safe.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Shuzsie.9263

Shuzsie.9263

Really disappointed that your making things easier because of the whinging few who want things easy. Whole idea of Hot was to make things hard for me u have spoilt the new content and Im not the only one that thinks so. Really bad move.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I don’t see how this would annoy anyone, it’s not like removing an updraft requirement which would mean cutting out sections of the gameplay that used that mechanic.

Once you have the mastery, the poisons just passively don’t effect you, so they might as well not be there, it’s just removing a binary gate, not anything that actually adds to the experience.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Really disappointed that your making things easier because of the whinging few who want things easy. Whole idea of Hot was to make things hard for me u have spoilt the new content and Im not the only one that thinks so. Really bad move.

Itzel 4 was never difficult... you got it by doing the same basic activities that got you to, say, Itzel 1, but for longer to hit a higher XP bar. It was just tedious for people who wanted to progress in the story without being interrupted by such a large time sink. It did not increase the level of gameplay challenge; the gate is just there for pacing, and Anet realized that it actually made the pacing too slow.

If you want to get your Itzel to Level 4, nothing is stopping you. You can level it exactly the same way you could before the change. All Anet is doing is recognizing that the pace of the plot ground to a halt for too long because of making it a story requirement, and so for the story you can proceed without it. It’s not like Itzel 4 was removed from the game or something; you can work on it whenever you want to.

(edited by Anakita Snakecharm.4360)

Posted by: Zher.5836

Zher.5836

I thought you said you guys had removed the Itzel Poison lore requirement for this Chapter. How come I still have it?? I try to replay it since it always bug here but this time the itzel poison lore requirement came up :/

Attachments: