Character Slot Included?

Character Slot Included?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Snows.2150

Snows.2150

Q:

Will we getting a bonus character slot with this expansion, similar to GW1’s model? I sure would like a new spot to put my Revenant.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Cenzuo.6328

Cenzuo.6328

It would be nice but I imagine they will make you buy one separately, they aren’t that expensive and they probably will put them on sale also.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Frozen Peace.4930

Frozen Peace.4930

They have to include Character slots. It shouldn’t take character slots I got from original gw2 or from gem store.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

As long as we can get a ninth.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

What do you mean? You can currently purchase additional character slots up until you have 64 character slots.

Whether or not one will be included as bonus in the box (IF it will be sold as a box at all), we don’t know. Would be nice of course.

Maybe they will have several versions. One barebone with just the minimum and one with a lot of extra stuff, including char slot expansion etc.

One – Piken Square

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

Oh, my bad. I thought one could have 8 character slots per account.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

I have 17 character slots already, but I could use 5 more.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: TazzDeMazz.4716

TazzDeMazz.4716

This is something I would like to know aswell so I don’t waste my gems for a char slot when you’re getting one free.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

The three GW1 campaigns were each stand-alone games, so each had to come with character slots to be playable if you didn’t have any of the other campaigns. EotN, however, was a true expansion that required the player to have at least one of the campaigns. EotN did not include any character slots, since those were provided by the base game. Personally, I don’t expect HoT to include any slots, though I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

It’d be nice to at least put more character slots in the Deluxe edition. At that point, you’re clearly committed enough to the game that you’ll roll a whole new character.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Deluxe Version will include a free slot for $30.00 more! #joke

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

All the expansions/campaigns from GW1 included additional two slots per expansion/campaign (one for each new profession) so its reasonable to expect an additional free slot for the revenant profession once it gets released.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

All the expansions/campaigns from GW1 included additional two slots per expansion/campaign (one for each new profession) so its reasonable to expect an additional free slot for the revenant profession once it gets released.

^^ this. If you baught one of the campaigns you started off with 4(I think) slots. Then you had 2 with every other campain and you bought and linked to your main account. So I I would like to think we will get at lest one slot with the expansion. 2 would be nice, but I think one would be fair to assume.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

Whether or not one will be included as bonus in the box (IF it will be sold as a box at all), we don’t know. Would be nice of course.

We do know that there will be a boxed edition.
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

(edited by Urosh Uchiha.9732)

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Just saying, if I have to buy an expansion pack and an additional character slot on top of the expansion pack just to enjoy the new class then it might be a no go for me.

You are going to be paying for an expansion pack anyways. It’s not too hard or asking too much for at least one character slot to be included. In fact, it could almost be seen as ‘greedy’ not to include one and ask players to purchase an additional slot.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I certainly hope it’s standard practice to give at least one slot when introducing a whole new class or race (in this case class) in a paid expansion. I know it has been in all the games I’ve played in the past. Some even just cause.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Just saying, if I have to buy an expansion pack and an additional character slot on top of the expansion pack just to enjoy the new class then it might be a no go for me.

You are going to be paying for an expansion pack anyways. It’s not too hard or asking too much for at least one character slot to be included. In fact, it could almost be seen as ‘greedy’ not to include one and ask players to purchase an additional slot.

I personally don’t mind either way as I have a spare slot (my 13th or 14th), but if they are adding a free slot then I think it would make a great “pre-order bonus”.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

The three GW1 campaigns were each stand-alone games, so each had to come with character slots to be playable if you didn’t have any of the other campaigns. EotN, however, was a true expansion that required the player to have at least one of the campaigns. EotN did not include any character slots, since those were provided by the base game. Personally, I don’t expect HoT to include any slots, though I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

EotN also did not include any new classes, which the other two campaign-expansions did (oddly enough, two new slots, two new classes). Why bother giving a character slot when there was no reason for it?

In the case of this one, the price increases 10 dollars (800 gems) to anyone who doesn’t want to delete a character to free up a slot or already have a slot free if they wish to use the new class. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t included, but I would certainly prefer they were nice enough to include it.

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Finally someone else that acknowledges the difference between an expansion and a stand alone title.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

As pointed out arenanet has a history of not doing it for true expansions. They only did it for expandalone’s.

Also one could point at the current 5 character slot limit with 8 professions. It’s already not possible to get and maintain all professions without buying additional character slots.

So I would not count on it.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Arenanet has no reason to. They can simply have a “sale” at release with the benefit of having their cake and eating it.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: BerriosC.7295

BerriosC.7295

If they do what they did with expansions in the original Guild Wars, then yes, we will get bonus character slots. 1-2 to be specific. We got 2 because there were 2 new professions, so expect to get 1 new character slot at least.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I hope they don’t give one away for free, because I already picked one up in anticipation of the new class. If they do give one out for free, they better refund me my gems or I am going to be very unhappy.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Character Slot Included?

Terrahero.9358

If they do what they did with expansions in the original Guild Wars, then yes, we will get bonus character slots. 1-2 to be specific. We got 2 because there were 2 new professions, so expect to get 1 new character slot at least.

It has been pointed out already that those character slots were given with the Stand-Alone’s, but not on actual expansions.

Character Slot Included?

Kal Spiro.9745

It has been pointed out already that those character slots were given with the Stand-Alone’s, but not on actual expansions.

It has also been pointed out that each of the “stand alones” came with a new class.

How about this question. If you didn’t have GW, and you got either of the other two, how many character slots did you get? If you only got one character slot, then the argument about the difference between stand alone and expansion is valid. If you got the normal amount, but adding either of the others expanded the number of characters by one, then it really isn’t.

There was no reason to have an extra character slot in EofN, so they didn’t provide one. There was a very pertinent reason to have one in the other two, namely a new class.

HoT will have a new class, and so their “trend” (as if one to two occurrences could be considered a trend for either argument) is to provide a character slot to play the new class.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Character Slot Included?

Terrahero.9358

It has also been pointed out that each of the “stand alones” came with a new class.

Prophecies did not have new professions.

Guild Wars 1 had 2 character slots. All of the stand-alone campaigns (nightfalls, prophecies, factions) added 2 additional character slots. Prophecies did not add new professions, but still gave you 2 character slots.
The non-stand alone expansions did not give additional character slots.

The stand alone campaigns gave you 2 character slots because they were stand-alone, simple as that. They needed to have character slots because people could very well pick them up on their own and play them.
The direct expansion EotN did not have character slots because it was only playable if you had Guild Wars to already give you character slots.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

But EOTN also didn’t include any new professions. Historically ArenaNet has given a slot per profession in the past.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Logically it will include an extra character slot. Giving one when a new character releases is a standard courtesy of mmo publisher (not to mention new character needs new clothing, equipment etc that keeps people playing and paying).

Given a-net’s rather good rep i doubt they would want to refuse a good practice that even shady and unliked devs consider the standard of mmo world decency.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Originally in GW1 they gave you (2? 1?) extra slot(s) with with the expansion so that you could try out both of the new classes. Most likely they’ll give you an extra slot. (If not, I’m buying one anyways!)

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Grizzly Scene.9013

Grizzly Scene.9013

Guild Wars 1 had 2 character slots. All of the stand-alone campaigns (nightfalls, prophecies, factions) added 2 additional character slots. Prophecies did not add new professions, but still gave you 2 character slots.

The stand alone campaigns gave you 2 character slots because they were stand-alone, simple as that. They needed to have character slots because people could very well pick them up on their own and play them.
The direct expansion EotN did not have character slots because it was only playable if you had Guild Wars to already give you character slots.

This is wrong. Had to come on to correct this.

How the campaigns worked is: the first campaign added gave you 4 character slots. Adding the other campaigns added 2 slots each (total 8, if you had all 3 campaigns on your account). This was true regardless of what order the campaigns were added.

I agree that ANet’s history is to provide additional character slots equal to the number of new professions (classes, whatever) added. Hence, I would expect one to be included with (and built into the price of) HoT.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I hope they don’t give one away for free, because I already picked one up in anticipation of the new class. If they do give one out for free, they better refund me my gems or I am going to be very unhappy.

I can understand what you are saying and getting at, but this is a PAID expansion. Which means nothing the customer is getting is for free.

To be quite frank, with the list of suspected content that I have seen, it will pretty much need to include a character slot to help justify the cost. The new class seems to be a fairly substantial part of the new expansion and if you are locked out of that content because you lack a character slot, you will not be getting as much bang for your buck.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Noctology.7238

Noctology.7238

I’m also hoping it comes with at least one slot. All mine are full and it seems irksome to introduce a new class and punish us altaholics for it.

Character Slot Included?

Terrahero.9358

How the campaigns worked is: the first campaign added gave you 4 character slots. Adding the other campaigns added 2 slots each (total 8, if you had all 3 campaigns on your account). This was true regardless of what order the campaigns were added.

I agree that ANet’s history is to provide additional character slots equal to the number of new professions (classes, whatever) added. Hence, I would expect one to be included with (and built into the price of) HoT.

Isnt that what I said?

Maybe it was a bit unclear when I said the stand alone campaigns add 2 slots. What I meant was they add 2 slots each. Each stand alone, be it prophecies, nightfall or factions, adds 2 slots. If you get all of them you get 6 slots, not counting the 2 slots from Guild Wars.

But the point was that the idea that this…

But EOTN also didn’t include any new professions. Historically ArenaNet has given a slot per profession in the past.

…Is incorrect. Prophecies used the same 6 base professions that Guild Wars had, it did not add new professions, yet it still added 2 character slots.
Or rather, it had its own 2 character slots being a stand-alone title. And each stand-alone title would stack with each other.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

you guys are killing me…. 4 slots 2 slots 2 slost no slots, expansion, standalone…. They will do what they do, and it won’t be based on what they did. haven’t they proven that to you yet? gw2 is not gw1 – :P

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Dr II Evil.9326

Dr II Evil.9326

That was the policy in the GW1 expansions and I hope it will continue in HoT

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But EotN didn’t include a profession either.

Character Slot Included?

Kal Spiro.9745

If it was the same, then yeah. That’s what I said. I didn’t actually know cause I bought them all together with the platinum pack.

So it’s unlikely we’ll get a character slot either. Though I thought each one came with a unique class. Nightfall had assassin, and Factions had Dervish, or whatever WoodenPotatoes says Revenant is similar to.

There were only three games. Guild Wars, Nightfall and Factions. Plus EotN. Prophecies WAS Guild Wars. They’re the same thing.

-edit- Ok, I looked it up, I’m SO far off.
Factions introduced Assassin AND Ritualist, two classes with two slots. Nightfall introduced Paragon and Dervish, again two classes with two slots. Guild Wars Prophecies is the first game. Because the whole story is about the Flameseeker Prophecies.

Eye of the North, stand alone or not introduced no classes and provided no slots.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

…Is incorrect. Prophecies used the same 6 base professions that Guild Wars had, it did not add new professions, yet it still added 2 character slots.
Or rather, it had its own 2 character slots being a stand-alone title. And each stand-alone title would stack with each other.

Prophecies is the base Guild Wars game. It is the core, the first – it wasn’t a expandalone, it was the original core (although their lego-style manner of releasing really did kind of let you get it whenever). The fact of the matter is, regardless of how many slots I was given by the core game when I first picked up and started GW at launch, when I later purchased the expandalone Factions (which contained 2 new classes in comparison to what I already had), I was also given 2 new slots. Same thing with the next one. When EotN came out (the only actual expansion), no new character classes were added, so there was no precedent for just giving out another character slot.

So, if they do what they did with the original, then ANet would be kind people and give us a character slot – be it worked into the price or not.

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Isnt that what I said?

Maybe it was a bit unclear when I said the stand alone campaigns add 2 slots. What I meant was they add 2 slots each. Each stand alone, be it prophecies, nightfall or factions, adds 2 slots. If you get all of them you get 6 slots, not counting the 2 slots from Guild Wars.

that was because of balancing so no matter in what order you were buying you’d have same amounts of slots – f.e. if your account started with nightfall you didn’t started with 6 slots but 4 – same as if you were starting with Prop.

so in that case 2 slots provided by Prop were “missing nightfall slots” instead

also EotN yielded neither new professions nor slots.

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

i hope for character slot like gw1 or 1 free transfer

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Isnt that what I said?

Prophecies is the first Guild Wars. When it came out it was just called Guild Wars, when they added Factions and Nightfall, the original Guild Wars was renamed Guild Wars: Prophecies. I was there, from the beginning, for Gwen’s flame cleansing of our guild hall!

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: Gardian Ninja.4306

Gardian Ninja.4306

So in GW they gave us separate expansions with completely new land masses with new professions and a couple extra character spots. Due to the fact that we are getting a new profession there is a possibility that they will give us a new char slot for us to use the revenant. However, I am seeing this expansion just like EOTN in GW. It was simply an area expansion allowing us to go to the northern shiverpeaks and we were not given an extra slot because it wasn’t meant to be a new start, but more of a continuation.

Either way I have no problem deleting one of my current characters for this new one, but if we get a new char slot that would be awesome.

Character Slot Included?

Kal Spiro.9745

So in GW they gave us separate expansions with completely new land masses with new professions and a couple extra character spots. Due to the fact that we are getting a new profession there is a possibility that they will give us a new char slot for us to use the revenant. However, I am seeing this expansion just like EOTN in GW. It was simply an area expansion allowing us to go to the northern shiverpeaks and we were not given an extra slot because it wasn’t meant to be a new start, but more of a continuation.

Either way I have no problem deleting one of my current characters for this new one, but if we get a new char slot that would be awesome.

This one is primarily meant to be a continuation, sure, unless you want to play the new class, of course, then it’s a new start, which is why most games, including GW, give you an extra slot under those circumstances.

Character Slot Included?

Posted by: KittyCat.2059

KittyCat.2059

I would hope it would come with one expansion slot, especially since most of us have been playing for a very long time and all of our slots are taken. I know we have an option to purhcase an additional slot but that shouldnt be expected of us to do on top of purhcasing the expansion.