Character Slot for Heart of Thorns? [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Nothing as been said yet although I wouldn’t get my hopes up. The game only came out with 5 slots so right from the start you had to decided which class you wanted to play and which one you didn’t. That is if you didn’t buy the character expansion slots.

Posted by: meklin.4530

meklin.4530

I mean you farm gold for it, and it’s more than likely going on sale sometime soon. If you really try you can farm and save the 100-125g it costs for a character slot.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

So Anet has in front of them a binary decision: Yes or No.

IMO, only one of those answers is a sound business decision, and frankly there isn’t much room for debate when looked at objectively.

If the answer is No new slot with xpac, what Anet is basically telling their player base is that after having us wait as long as we have for an xpac and no doubt using up the available slots for alts that we’ve most likely gotten up to level 80, outfitted with armor and weapons for their levels and probably dropped some serious gold on them, that if we wanted to play this new class they are hyping so hard that we will also have to dish out for a new slot or delete a toon.

If Anet thought people raged at the commander tag issue, then they REALLY don’t want to see what kind of chilling affect they will have by not supplying a slot with the xpac.

If the answer is yes however, you will probably see a greater willingness and even drive for people to want to get into the xpac and it will honestly cost Anet nothing to offer that feature. In fact it will only earn them more money in the long run because it ensures people making more of an effort to get their foot in that door. It will literally have the complete opposite affect of not giving a new slot.

So, the bigger question I have for Anet is, why haven’t you guys made this decision yet? It clearly doesn’t behoove you not to supply a new slot with the xpac and can only help its adoption. It costs you nothing as alt-aholics may still continue buying slots and hesitant players won’t feel like they have to delete a toon just to play new content. its honestly a no brainer that will win you tons more brownie points with your player base.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Or they’ll just have a 50% off sale on character slots the week or so before the expansion is released.

Posted by: KittyCat.2059

KittyCat.2059

So Anet has in front of them a binary decision: Yes or No.

IMO, only one of those answers is a sound business decision, and frankly there isn’t much room for debate when looked at objectively.

If the answer is No new slot with xpac, what Anet is basically telling their player base is that after having us wait as long as we have for an xpac and no doubt using up the available slots for alts that we’ve most likely gotten up to level 80, outfitted with armor and weapons for their levels and probably dropped some serious gold on them, that if we wanted to play this new class they are hyping so hard that we will also have to dish out for a new slot or delete a toon.

If Anet thought people raged at the commander tag issue, then they REALLY don’t want to see what kind of chilling affect they will have by not supplying a slot with the xpac.

If the answer is yes however, you will probably see a greater willingness and even drive for people to want to get into the xpac and it will honestly cost Anet nothing to offer that feature. In fact it will only earn them more money in the long run because it ensures people making more of an effort to get their foot in that door. It will literally have the complete opposite affect of not giving a new slot.

So, the bigger question I have for Anet is, why haven’t you guys made this decision yet? It clearly doesn’t behoove you not to supply a new slot with the xpac and can only help its adoption. It costs you nothing as alt-aholics may still continue buying slots and hesitant players won’t feel like they have to delete a toon just to play new content. its honestly a no brainer that will win you tons more brownie points with your player base.

well said, i completely agree with this .

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s not binary decision, yes or no. That’s because there could be different versions of the game. The standard version may not come with a character slot and the deluxe version might, giving more value to the deluxe version.

We simply won’t know until they tell us.

Posted by: knyghte.3920

knyghte.3920

Will we get additional character slots with the expansion?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Posted by: Mahlatte.4971

Mahlatte.4971

Sorry if this has been covered before, but will we get a character slot when we purchase the expansion?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

It is asked a lot so it is normally on Page 1, but it had dropped down to Page 5.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Character-Slot-for-Heart-of-Thorns-Merged

Answer: Not known at this time.

My thought: It likely will.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

So many thread like this, please merge or delete.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Mahlatte.4971

Mahlatte.4971

Thanks StinVec.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

HoT is coming, we ALL know this… and this question is not reference to Beta.

When the Expansion is launched and all of us can play, will we have to get an additional character slot to make a Revvy or… will Anet give us one?

(I speculate that you have to provide it for yourself, but I’m just double-checking)

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

they selling the expansion, it will be part of what you pay for, they should provide 1 or two character slots . its what guild wars 1 expansion did too. that’s what I believe

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Donari.5237

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

they selling the expansion, it will be part of what you pay for, they should provide 1 or two character slots . its what guild wars 1 expansion did too. that’s what I believe

A lot of people mistake GW Factions and Nightfall as expansions. It is true they gave you extra character slots, but they were full games with their own self contained story lines and did not require you to own any of the other games to play through them. You could take a character over to any of them and play through the later story lines. The early story lines for new characters created from that game were not accessible to characters created in another campaign, though you could still do the early town missions after making your way to them along with exploring the low level maps.

The only true traditional expansion to GW1 was Eye of the North which required you to own at least 1 of the full games (Prophesies, Factions, or Nightfall). If I remember right I was disappointed because EotN did not give me a free character slot.

So it’s possible Heart of Thorns won’t give us a free character slot, but since it seems to be a popular request it might just happen.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

That’s actually a strong argument made though. You’re buying the expansion; it’s only natural they would provide you with a new character slot…

But then again, it is a business, pout to make money, therefore I can see it happening both ways.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A lot of people mistake GW Factions and Nightfall as expansions. It is true they gave you extra character slots, but they were full games with their own self contained story lines and did not require you to own any of the other games to play through them. You could take a character over to any of them and play through the later story lines. The early story lines for new characters created from that game were not accessible to characters created in another campaign, though you could still do the early town missions after making your way to them along with exploring the low level maps.

The only true traditional expansion to GW1 was Eye of the North which required you to own at least 1 of the full games (Prophesies, Factions, or Nightfall). If I remember right I was disappointed because EotN did not give me a free character slot.

So it’s possible Heart of Thorns won’t give us a free character slot, but since it seems to be a popular request it might just happen.

On the other hand Eye of the North didn’t come with a new profession, and if you owned previous Guild Wars 2 games, you’d get 2 extra slots for the new professions when you bought Factions or Nightfall.

Basically, if they follow suit, you should get a character slot.

The other thing is they may have different versions of the game some with and some without. It might be part of a digital collectors edition or something but not come with the base expansion.

Posted by: Ish.2846

Ish.2846

It’s been asked a lot.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Character-Slot-for-Heart-of-Thorns-Merged/page/2#post4852150

Personally I REALLY don’t think that ANet want to put people into the position of having to decide which of their beloved toons they want to delete to make way for the new profession on day 1 of HoT.

Which is the scary part. This is a non-discussion issue. Ofc they should. But as someone else wrote, I would not be surprised if they made a deluxe edition with extra slot and a normal without. (ANet I hope you are reading and doing the opposite of what I fear).

Posted by: kny.3789

kny.3789

i have a slot for each profession and two extra. one currently holding the name i chose for my future male rev-salad the other one holding a cool kodan name i thought of. so personally i dont care if they give me another char slot.

if they do i can reserve another name in case they add tengu.

if they dont i will only have one slot to farm BL keys.

just so people know you can spend gold on character slots by converting. so you wont be “forced” to shell out real money. even casuals should be able to earn enough gold between now and launch.

i dont think less people playing revs day one is such a bad thing. (havent decided if im going to hop on my rev right away or wait til my main has a solid foothold in the new content.) i think seeing revenants everywhere will make them lose their new car smell faster. however complaining about everyone flocking to new game content is like complainng about the tide coming in.

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

I doubt this information is out there but will we get a free character slot along with the release of HoT?

Each GW1 expansion came with 2 new professions and 2 new character slots, I hope GW2 follows this tradition and provides a free slot. I would hate to spend 60$ then spend forever downloading the expansion… and then logging in to find I need to drop 10$ more so I can actually play the new class.

Posted by: Xivos.9102

Xivos.9102

I totally agree, wanted to ask same question, and I hope we gonna get at least 1 free character slot with expansion.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Actually there was only 1 GW expansion and it did not come with a new class or character slot. You’re confusing expansion with stand alone campaign. As for extra character slot there is no info yet. Maybe you will maybe you won’t.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I doubt this information is out there but will we get a free character slot along with the release of HoT?

Not answered, there was a topic about that in which Gaile said she didn’t know the answer, and would update us as soon as she did.

However, it’s very likely they will use the expansion as a way to milk money from players by not offering a new character slot. I can even see the excuse already – GW2 had five character slots, five races and eight professions, so since it was one slot per race (it wasn’t one slot per race, actually), and the expansion is not adding any new race, it would make no sense for the expansion to come with a character slot (which is obviously not true). It’s a poor excuse, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what we get.

Posted by: Cloudz.6890

Cloudz.6890

Actually there was only 1 GW expansion and it did not come with a new class or character slot. You’re confusing expansion with stand alone campaign. As for extra character slot there is no info yet. Maybe you will maybe you won’t.

I don’t think we can really compare HoT to GW in any way. On one hand campaigns that came with character slots were standalone. On the other hand the expansion didn’t include a new class.

I’m leaning towards it comes with a slot since when you think about they’ve always added the number of slots as there are new classes. Plus that’d be a bit like double dipping when most of your players who purchase the expansion will have likely created 6 characters by this point in the games life.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Stop make more thread like this, there are like 20 thread asking character slot, someone merge this.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Considering how they’re handling the beta (beta character slot), it probably will include one. At the very least, you know they’re capable of attaching a slot to something.

When they reveal the price, it’ll be fairly easy to judge if it’ll include one, though they probably would have said so by that point. The price will cause a lot of assumptions, which is probably why they haven’t revealed it – they don’t want to disappoint so early on.

Posted by: Nadeen.6371

Nadeen.6371

If it is anything like GW1 then they would give us a slot. However if they want to make more money then they won’t and will force people to buy a slot (I’m one of them)

I think Anet is generous and will include a slot.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m going to guess that they will otherwise many people will have to buy both the expansion and a character slot to play the Revenant (or delete a char they already have made) and you just know that the forum rage would be immense if people had to do that. A much smarter move would be for ANet’s to give a character slot and increase the price of the expansion by a few dollars if they need to cover expenses.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I remember back in Guild Wars 1, whenever the expansion campaigns came out players got extra character slots if they already had other campaigns. Will we be getting an extra free character slot if we get the expansion?

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

It would be silly if they didn’t give us at least one free one for the expansion. I mean we’re paying for the expansion when it comes out, a character slot might as well be included.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Actually with GW1 you got an extra character slot for each Campaign you added to your account. I don’t think Eye of the North, the only Expansion gave you an extra character slot. So it’s possible that there won’t be an extra character slot given an expansion is shorter than a full blown campaign, but I really hope they do or a lot of people are going to be annoyed when wanting to make a Revenant.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually with GW1 you got an extra character slot for each Campaign you added to your account. I don’t think Eye of the North, the only Expansion gave you an extra character slot. So it’s possible that there won’t be an extra character slot given an expansion is shorter than a full blown campaign, but I really hope they do or a lot of people are going to be annoyed when wanting to make a Revenant.

I would say the big difference is, if there was a new profession then there was a character slot and no character slot if no new profession.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yup. when making reference to GW1 business model, we also have to remember that free slot were given when there were new classes available .

campaign -> new class -> free slot

eotn -> no new class -> no free slot.

*praying for one……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: RabidCoqui.1983

RabidCoqui.1983

Posted by: Kosher Kill.5132

Kosher Kill.5132

I have maxed my character slots on gw2 and really would not like delete a lvl 80/Buy character slots for a new revenant. I was asking if HoT Could come with them. In Gw1 there was an expansion pack that came with two slots (Don’t know which one) but that would be awesome if HoT did the same thing. Or at least give one slot.

Posted by: GaryC.4897

GaryC.4897

you are wrong, there were 2 campaigns that came with 2 slots each, factions and nightfall. you could play either of the campaigns without the other 2, the only true expansion was Eye of the North and you got no slots with it. and with the expansion you had to have 1 of the campaigns

azizul.8469

but remember, in GW1 when new classes introduced, they give character slots. so hopefully with one new class introduced in the upcoming GW2 expansion, one slot will be given for free….

Posted by: Kosher Kill.5132

Kosher Kill.5132

you are wrong, there were 2 campaigns that came with 2 slots each, factions and nightfall. you could play either of the campaigns without the other 2, the only true expansion was Eye of the North and you got no slots with it. and with the expansion you had to have 1 of the campaigns

I didnt remember clearly, but still, They should give one character slot for the new class.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

so you have 64 slots already? then Im sad to say they cant give you another ( I mean you said you maxed out)

azizul.8469

64 slots ? wow….. really….wow…

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

We don’t know if they will include character slots in the HoT release. I hope they do. Having 64 slots is another issue. Maybe they will increase the number for the expansion. No idea. That’s a lot of slots, btw. Do you have 64 level 80s?

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

from what I remember 64 slots is the max that you can get by buying slots from the gemstore. That doesn’t mean that that’s the actual max as far as the backend code is concerned..

Posted by: GaryC.4897

GaryC.4897

i guess we will all find out when they announce it

Donari.5237

You may find yourself in this thread soon.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Character-Slot-for-Heart-of-Thorns-Merged/first

I have no idea if they can increase you beyond 64, but I can’t imagine there’s a huge number of people who have that many alts, let alone have them all maxed to 80, so yeah, they could well say that that tiny sample of players will have to choose to lose one of their 64 if they want to make any new ones. Just as they would without HoT.

Posted by: Kubrick.5740

Kubrick.5740

“really would not like delete a lvl 80/Buy character slots for a new revenant.”

Are we sure that the OP didn’t mean maxed out FREE slots?
Because I’m maxed out on free slots and I think it is ridiculous for a game that has no end game to not allow people to have at least one of every class included in the gosh darn game.

I’m not spending a penny for a new character slot if one is not included in the xpac. In fact, I’m not even going to buy the xpac if there isn’t one. (or if there isn’t any end game content included, but that’s a different story)

I think it is really, really, dumb when a game doesn’t give enough slots for 1 of ever character. If you have to weed people from their money that way, that’s the sign of a bad game.

(edited by Kubrick.5740)

Donari.5237

You don’t have to spend a dime to get more slots. Gold works for the same purpose.

Posted by: funkyfuzz.9142

funkyfuzz.9142

I’m assuming that the OP meant free slots too (64 toons is just crazy, but I supposed doable. not probable, but doable), and I don’t’ see why they would add a slot.

MMO’s are unique compared to standard release games (like halo, MW2, etc.) in that it’s a continuous cycle of balance, addition of content, etc. This overhead that standard release games don’t have needs to come from somewhere…the early model was subscriptions, but that has changed, now companies are doing things “seemingly free to play”

I say seemingly because the cost still has to come from somewhere. they are just relying on some people paying more into the cash shop to counterbalance those that do not pay in.

So, if the Op has filled out the FREE slots and wants more free slots, I highly doubt it will happen. I’m not saying that I agree, only that I doubt they will take one of their best tools for bringing in the residual income and shoot it in the foot come expansion. no one forces you to fill up your slots anymore then forcing you to play only one toon. Personally, I’m perfectly happy to put back in a little finances in a game I enjoy, and unlocking slots is a nice VIP bonus if you ask me.

Posted by: waSte.8640

waSte.8640

I expect at least one character slot from the expansion or I will consider it a bad deal.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

“really would not like delete a lvl 80/Buy character slots for a new revenant.”

Are we sure that the OP didn’t mean maxed out FREE slots?
Because I’m maxed out on free slots and I think it is ridiculous for a game that has no end game to not allow people to have at least one of every class included in the gosh darn game.

I’m not spending a penny for a new character slot if one is not included in the xpac. In fact, I’m not even going to buy the xpac if there isn’t one. (or if there isn’t any end game content included, but that’s a different story)

I think it is really, really, dumb when a game doesn’t give enough slots for 1 of ever character. If you have to weed people from their money that way, that’s the sign of a bad game.

You didn’t get the memo where the whole game is endgame, did you.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|