Character Slot for Heart of Thorns? [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

I don’t need it, if i want one, i buy it with gems.
It should NOT come in the deal, it’s not something that you need to play HoT.

I bought gw2 on release and played it since with monthly breaks and all, and i still don’t want stuff for free. Price is fair for an expansion, and it shouldn’t come with a level 80 character or 4000 gems or 8000 gems or 12000 gems, or whatever some people want.

You pay for the expansion, you get the expansion, everything else you need like character slots or whatever it is, gems, etc, you pay for yourself.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I asked this in another topic, but I’ll do it again here.

People against the inclusion of a character slot in the base package, what do you have to gain in fighting against this. Even more, what damage do you have from including a free character slot?

I haven’t seen a single compelling argument. Adding a character slot is not only logical but furthermore hurts absolutely nobody. I’m very sorry but to me, if you’re fighting to defend this choice, your only motivation is to deprive others of enjoyment.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Most people against this don’t need a new slot because they have extra already. This is very telling.

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

I don’t need it, if i want one, i buy it with gems.
It should NOT come in the deal, it’s not something that you need to play HoT.

I bought gw2 on release and played it since with monthly breaks and all, and i still don’t want stuff for free. Price is fair for an expansion, and it shouldn’t come with a level 80 character or 4000 gems or 8000 gems or 12000 gems, or whatever some people want.

You pay for the expansion, you get the expansion, everything else you need like character slots or whatever it is, gems, etc, you pay for yourself.

Ok so can you logically explain you reasoning for indicating that it should not be a part of the expansion?

You are correct in your saying that the price is fair for an expansion. If the content as we are aware of is correct they are not offering what is basically what a expansion would bring to a game in this genre. So the value is not worth the price of a fairly priced expansion.

If you think otherwise please make valid points.

Making the point that you don’t want anything for free makes me feel that you are trying to feel superior. Simple comparison in the light of any sort of communication indicates tat what you get in this expansion pales to what you get in a WOW, Everquest or most any other expansion. Go look it up, I’m not saying GW2 quality is great but there isn’t enough information to justify the price.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

(edited by Giland.4507)

Evans.6347

If you don’t need something, getting it for free doesn’t hurt you.

If you get a free cookie, but you don’t eat cookies, does that mean they shouldn’t hand them out to anyone? Maybe someone there was really happy to get a cookie and would be very disappointed if they suddenly stopped handing them out because someone complained that they didn’t want a free cookie.

I know I’m twisting the situation like this, because in reality no cookies are being handed out at all, and some people who saw the advertisement of said cookies were expecting them to be handed out, as a taste, and are now asking why there are no free cookies.

But I still wonder why anyone would deny someone else a cookie, because they don’t want it.

…I’m craving for cookies now.

(edited by Evans.6347)

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

If you get a free cookie, but you don’t eat cookies, does that mean they shouldn’t hand them out to anyone? Maybe someone there was really happy to get a cookie and would be very disappointed if they suddenly stopped handing them out because someone complained that they didn’t want a free cookie.

I know I’m twisting the situation like this, because in reality no cookies are being handed out at all, and some people who saw the advertisement of said cookies were expecting them to be handed out, as a taste, and are now asking why there are no free cookies.

But I still wonder why anyone would deny someone else a cookie, because they don’t want it.

I think it might be self entitlement.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

Posted by: Auruan.2837

Auruan.2837

I think it’s just really confusing the second cookie vanishes into nothingness, if you already owned a cookie to begin with. I mean, I don’t mind that other people get cookies. That’s awesome!
I’d be really pleased if I was given a cookie, too.

I just wonder, why after so many years of purchasing wonderful toppings and decorations for my cookie (gem store purchases), I’m now not given anything to make up for the vanishing cookie! Where did it go?

It’s apparently what upsets most people. The loyalty to the game and the company just isn’t being rewarded, while Arena Net always valued its customers. For most people I heard complain, it’s not even about the monetary value. It’s just sentimental attachment.

Evans.6347

Well yes, that’s a whole different box of biscuits.
I was trying to focus on the discussion about character slot inclusion

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

People who don’t agree with what ANet threw at them don’t buy the expansion, show them what you think with your wallet. The other side who don’t care do whatever they want. Let’s hope a large part of the player population see the mistake ANet made, and punish them for it by not buying.

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

feels like something EA would do. like when they brought out the sims 4 without pools or toddlers for a massive price and were hoping to sell all this as dlc later on they were forced to add these options for free, because people got bored and felt the game was incomplete.

i really wanted to buy hot and so did my husband. we were looking forward to raid in wvw together and enjoy the new specializations and rev…but having an expansion that almost costs as much as the original game did and being forced to buy a bundle with something we cant use, doesnt feel right to me and i dont support greedy companies that treat people that played their game for 3 years like this. its wrong and anet knows this, but will try to force it upon us.

well anet, there are many GOOD new games coming out soon and im not interested in your overpriced expansion that doesnt even give me a free character
slot.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Posted by: matrix seishin.5312

matrix seishin.5312

So apparently some people don’t understand why most of us want at least 1 character slot with base pack. Here is why I want it: I don’t play all day, every day. I don’t farm gold fast and I’ve never bought gems or anything with gems. The only thing I gave money for is the game itself. I’ve had test characters and deleted professions I didn’t like. Now my slots are full with characters I play with. I don’t want to delete one of them just to TRY the new profession. What if I don’t like? What if it’s not better than the one I deleted? It is only fair to include a slot for people who don’t have any free ones. This is my reason and probably the reason for many others.

Now to the GW2+HoT in one problem. It’s not fair that old players should buy GW2+HoT together since they already have GW2. HOWEVER!!! This is a pre-purchase. I suppose it is a promo for new players. When HoT is available it SHOULD be sold separately + slots for a lower price. Not saying it will because I don’t work in ANet, but this is what they should do. Right now old player also can take advantage of this promo and create new accounts. This is sort of a fake increase in player count for ANet which is good for them – more accounts = more players (but not really). We don’t have to buy anything just yet. We can wait to see what happens. I think right now they are annoyed by all this complaining since they might be planning exactly what I just wrote.

Posted by: skarxa.7964

skarxa.7964

Arenanet did rectify when they did the outfit that was like the human cultural light armor because most of people were angry on them, and that thing wasn’t important at all.

Hope they rectify now because this is much more important.

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

They really should change the whole deal to:

-new customers get the base game + HoT for 45 euro
-old customers get a character slot + HoT for 45 euro
-any old customers that prepurchased deluxe or ultimate get another character slot (or something of similar gem value from the gemstore, like a mining node, or whatever)

EDIT:
Or risk messing up the gem-gold conversion and just give old customers an extra 800 gems with the prepurchase of any HoT package. But John Smith would have a seizure if this happened so probably out of the question.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

(edited by Elorna.5329)

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I am hoping ArenaNet will give out 800 gems to all HoT orders who already own the base game. This way everybody wins:

- New players get the base game.
- Existing players get 800 gems to spend on a character slot for their new Revenant, or other stuff if they don’t want a character slot.
- Existing players who order HoT Deluxe or Ultimate already get a character slot, so the 800 additional gems can be spent however they like.
- ArenaNet gets satisfied (or at least somewhat mollified) customers, and the revenue they need to keep this game going forward.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I can see it now. They add in an 800 gem loyalty bonus for players who already own the core game. Some people don’t spend it to buy a character slot and continue complaining they deserve one anyhow.

I’ll get the popcorn…

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

I can see it now. They add in an 800 gem loyalty bonus for players who already own the core game. Some people don’t spend it to buy a character slot and continue complaining they deserve one anyhow.

I’ll get the popcorn…

But at that point the pendulum swings from “shady business practice” to “over entitled customer” for anyone with common sense, which should be enough for a better marketing picture.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Posted by: Hedge.8760

Hedge.8760

I can’t see them adding just 800 gems to the standard. I think it’d make more sense logically to just add a character slot, the actual expansion price isn’t 60 dollars (or 50-55 euros). I still can’t believe they add a new profession with no character slot.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

So after listening to what others have to say, here is the new opinion. Most people say that 45 euro (50$ or w/e) is the price for HoT only and that the core game is a bonus. That either makes them angry that the game has no value anymore or happy that it is cheap for new players to join. So from that I can conclude that the core game is just a bonus FOR NOW and when HoT is available new players might have to buy both. Even if this is true they fail to see the other problem. If HoT on its own is 45 euro – that price is way too high for an expansion if the content is not as much as the core game. When most older players bought GW2 it was about 50 euro and now the expansion is 45. For something that is just a bit short from the same price I would expect something just a bit short from the same amount of content. I know they worked hard for this but if the expansion and core game do not have the same amount of content, they cannot be worth the same price. We don’t know yet, so I suggest we don’t buy yet. Hold off your purchase until ANet releases more information and/or change a few things. The way I see it this pre-purchase is for people who don’t have the core game, NOT for people who do. So if you have GW2 DON’T buy HoT now on pre-purchase. Wait! You have to wait anyway. It’s not out yet, so we don’t know anything.

not a badly argued case, but not particularly relevant to this thread. this is more the kind of thing for the HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged thread. this thread is about the character slot.

Posted by: matrix seishin.5312

matrix seishin.5312

Yeah, you’re right. Sorry, clicked on the wrong thread…

Posted by: Arkblue.6129

Arkblue.6129

I’ll get the popcorn…

Actually, adding a character slot would be better. They still give something that some players could not want, but, seriously, in all bundles there is something that players could not want. However, they eliminate any value gap between the new player purchase-old player purchase of the expansion. Thus people wouldn’t call the deal unfair to older players anymore.

Posted by: agrante.2810

agrante.2810

Me as many others were expecting a complementary character slot with the base package, pre-purchase or not. Considering what’s being offered out there and the PR consequences I think there is still time to upgrade the deal to something that is still commercially viable without enraging the existing player base.

Posted by: Cameo.4073

Cameo.4073

Suggestion: Those that prepurchase the game have access to the beta which will allow them to test new content and, if similar to prior beta testing, give them a test character slot. This test character slot would, in theory, go away with live, leaving those with full character lists with the option of buying a new slot ($10 USD), buying the more expensive editions, or just forgoing the new profession which they probably just finished beta testing. (sad)

As beta testing does offer virtual value, perhaps after so many set tasks/hours/events/feedback responses the ‘test’ character slot becomes permanent, though the actual toon may require reset throughout the beta process. Those that participate and help in beta get a character slot and some firsthand knowledge of the game and ANET gets more willing participants (I hope) and funding from preorders.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Here is the character slot mega thread if anybody were looking…

Posted by: Hammersmash Ureface.2650

Hammersmash Ureface.2650

I feel like a prophet. Really I do. I’ve maintained all along that this was nothing more than good marketing with a dash of psychology. Take away what we used to get, give us nothing. End result, community begs for bare minimum. I’ve said it numerous times.
Now here’s the dedicated thread…
What’s worse than being played? Knowing you’re being played and playing anyway.

Unfortunately though, this is one of those situations you see in politics where the underdog is offered a choice between stupidity and being called unpatriotic…The only choice is the wrong one.

Now give us our kitten slot. It’ll still taste like exploitation to us, but at least you’ll save some face…And about that mini weasel in the anet cap.. Make it happen. Where’s my coffee?

Since GW1 – [MLM] – Meeting of the Lost Minds

Knighthonor.4061

I feel like a prophet. Really I do. I’ve maintained all along that this was nothing more than good marketing with a dash of psychology. Take away what we used to get, give us nothing. End result, community begs for bare minimum. I’ve said it numerous times.

What you mean by this statement? Explain

Posted by: Hammersmash Ureface.2650

Hammersmash Ureface.2650

It’s simple. In GW1 days, this never happened. They gave us slots. 2 of. They’ve been changing their model gradually since then, to one far less “Giving”. This time around, they’ve pushed it hard. They took away all our slots. Psychology in marketing is a big thing, people are people and can be manipulated, usually quite easily. They knew this. Anyone with a brain would. Take everything away, make us beg for at least something. Not 2, just one. We meet them in the middle of a rough trade that is favourable to them and at best gives us reason to give a sigh of relief. “Thank god they relented and gave us one!”
Most people don’t realise just how big a part of modern marketing strategy that psychology is, but all the information is freely available on google.

What was the old adage? “It is far easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they’ve been fooled.”

Since GW1 – [MLM] – Meeting of the Lost Minds

Knighthonor.4061

It’s simple. In GW1 days, this never happened. They gave us slots. 2 of. They’ve been changing their model gradually since then, to one far less “Giving”. This time around, they’ve pushed it hard. They took away all our slots. Psychology in marketing is a big thing, people are people and can be manipulated, usually quite easily. They knew this. Anyone with a brain would. Take everything away, make us beg for at least something. Not 2, just one. We meet them in the middle of a rough trade that is favourable to them and at best gives us reason to give a sigh of relief. “Thank god they relented and gave us one!”
Most people don’t realise just how big a part of modern marketing strategy that psychology is, but all the information is freely available on google.

What was the old adage? “It is far easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they’ve been fooled.”

The thing is, nightfall and factions were more standalone versions of stock GW1. Their true expansion didn’t have character slots, and wasn’t as feature heavy as the standalone games were.

Also GW1 wasn’t a MMO, it was a CORPG game which is built for the minimum number like single player games are.

Gw2 is a MMO, so to make a standalone addition, it would be required to come with the core game, unlike Gw1.

That doesn’t excuse the lack of features, but hey they did say more if coming.

But hopefully people push them to add more heavy features. I like the Revenant, and Elite specs, but I to want more. Guild Halls won’t be usable by 90% of players because guild leaders will restrict it to a few.

Borderland is well borderland, and the new WvW map will only become lame again since server population problem isn’t solved.

I am hoping the new raid dungeons will be awesome, and down the road they give us more core skills to use other than just elite specs skills.

Posted by: JobHand.8506

JobHand.8506

He mentioned that all of Gw1 expansions came with one

GW1 only had one expansion, Eye of the North, which didn’t add any slots.

The other three games were called campaigns and were standalone to eachother. You had the options to either make a new account (which gave you 4 slots) or adding the campaign to an excisting account (giving you 2 new slots).

HoT doesn’t really compare to how they did it in GW1.

Alright well then if we’re gonna compare expansions. EoTN was priced at $40 on release.

And if we want to get on prices. The stand alone campaigns which obviously will have more content than an expansion, but also acted like an expansion since you could add them to an existing account were priced at $50.

(edited by JobHand.8506)

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

The thing is, nightfall and factions were more standalone versions of stock GW1. Their true expansion didn’t have character slots, and wasn’t as feature heavy as the standalone games were.

Last I checked, HoT is essentially a stand alone game since it does not require the purchase of the core game. It’s even so much a stand alone version of GW2 that 90% of its explore-able content and probably 70% of its story content IS Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: dsgb.5017

dsgb.5017

Ok all help me understand this a bit, the standard which includes the core and expansion. So if I was to purchase the ultimate package, does that mean i get another core game that i could give to my son or no?

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Ok all help me understand this a bit, the standard which includes the core and expansion. So if I was to purchase the ultimate package, does that mean i get another core game that i could give to my son or no?

Ultimate is the standard package plus gems and random bits of code that some how equal about $25-$30.

You’ll have to buy at least two standards to get one for you and your son. Or one deluxe and one standard, or two deluxes, or one deluxe and one ultimate, or two ultimates, or one standard and one ultimate, or two ultimates.

FYI, don’t get the deluxes. The only thing worth it on the deluxe version is the character slot ($10 in game store). Overall the ultimate is the best deal, but pricey if you’re getting this for your son and yourself.

What standard equals is- if you don’t already own GW2- GW2 + Expansion.

If you already have an account it is only the expansion (no core game included for gifting or whatever).

Essentially GW2 will no longer exist by itself after HoT’s release (except for those who have not bought HoT). Instead the game will be Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)