Clarification, please, on elite specs

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

For example: My mesmer is level 80, has 60+ skill points unused, 60% map completion.

When HoT trait changes roll in, will she be able to unlock all basic trait lines and her elite traits?

Or do I need map completion?

And do skill points from scrolls count toward unlocking her elite traits?

What I want is a clear clarification of what’s necessary to unlock the complete character in the new design.

I’m not looking for complaints, editorials, or diatribes. Just facts.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The only skill points that gets converted to Hero Points (the thingies used to unlock traits and specializations) are the skill points you have gotten from leveling (to lvl 80) and Skill Challenges around the world. Skill points gotten via scrolls or by leveling past lvl 80 will be converted to a new currency used to buy Mystic Forge stuff.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

They said that there will be plenty enough heroes point (?) to unlock every specialization. Most likely just by leveling to 80, you’ll be able to unlock all the base specialization.

You’ll maybe need a bit of exploration when there will be more “elite” specialization released.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Sytherek.7689

They said that there will be plenty enough heroes point (?) to unlock every specialization. Most likely just by leveling to 80, you’ll be able to unlock all the base specialization.

You’ll maybe need a bit of exploration when there will be more “elite” specialization released.

I know this. But “likely” and “maybe” are indefinites; I want clear, precise answers.

Sytherek.7689

The only skill points that gets converted to Hero Points (the thingies used to unlock traits and specializations) are the skill points you have gotten from leveling (to lvl 80) and Skill Challenges around the world. Skill points gotten via scrolls or by leveling past lvl 80 will be converted to a new currency used to buy Mystic Forge stuff.

And how will they know which skill points come from which source?

lordkrall.7241

Easy: They know exactly how many skill points you could get by leveling up.
They take that number and then add the number of completed skill challenges.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

If you open a map you see the number of total and completed skill challenges for this map. So anet just need to add those up.

Hero Points = Fixed amount per Character-Level + amount of completed skill challenges

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

As it stands currently you need 465 hero points to unlock all of the core skills and traits again (no word yet on numbers needed for elite specs)

You will get 400 points simply from leveling to 80, leaving 65 more that you need to get from the hero challenges (previously skill point challenges)

With 60% map completion you will have plenty to unlock the core (current) skills and traits. You will also have extra to spend on the elite, but they have not said how many we will need for that.

As for knowing the source of skill points? They don’t need to know where you got them. They can just add 400 (from leveling) + the number of hero challenges you have completed and the refund anything above that amount.

Sytherek.7689

As it stands currently you need 465 hero points to unlock all of the core skills and traits again (no word yet on numbers needed for elite specs)

You will get 400 points simply from leveling to 80, leaving 65 more that you need to get from the hero challenges (previously skill point challenges)

With 60% map completion you will have plenty to unlock the core (current) skills and traits. You will also have extra to spend on the elite, but they have not said how many we will need for that.

As for knowing the source of skill points? They don’t need to know where you got them. They can just add 400 (from leveling) + the number of hero challenges you have completed and the refund anything above that amount.

That does not account for skill points gained from books.
Hence my question.

Many folk in other threads are saying 100% map completion is necessary to unlock the elite traits.

lordkrall.7241

Skill points gained from books will not effect the amount of HPs you will get in the slightest. They will get converted to the new currency.

People claim a bunch of stuff, but none of us KNOW how much the Elite Specializations will cost, therefore we have no idea if it will require 100% map completion (it seems rather unlikely though).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Ranatoa.4869

Many folk in other threads are saying 100% map completion is necessary to unlock the elite traits.

We can’t know that until we know they release how many points the elite specs will cost, but we can guess based on numbers we do know.

Each core spec will cost 60 points
Each skill line will cost 35 points
All core lines cost a total of 465 points to unlock
Currently there are 620 total points available (400 from leveling + 220 from current challenges)

465 (all core) + 60 (elite traits) + 35 (elite skills) = 560

So you will not need 100% completion bur it will be fairly close. Granted this assumes the elite specialization and skills costs the same as the current core ones do. We also don’t know how many points will be added with the new region in HoT

Sytherek.7689

Skill points gained from books will not effect the amount of HPs you will get in the slightest. They will get converted to the new currency.

People claim a bunch of stuff, but none of us KNOW how much the Elite Specializations will cost, therefore we have no idea if it will require 100% map completion (it seems rather unlikely though).

“None of us know” is exactly what I’m trying to address.

My inquiry is entirely based on whether or not I need to pursue 100% map completion in order to have a complete mesmer. If the answer is “yes”, I’ll be doing map completion on my mesmer. If the answer is “no”, then I’ll play with different priorities.

All I’m looking to do is better plan my current game time in light of HoT trait changes.

On day 1 of the trait changes, I want both my ranger and mesmer ready to rock their new traits. 80 Ranger has been 100% for well-over two years; 80 mesmer at 60%, 80 necro at 65%, other characters beyond hope.

Ranatoa.4869

I would say you are close then, 70% – 80% should be enough just based on the numbers we have

lordkrall.7241

If you have completed more than 65 skill challenges on those characters they are good to go when the trait update comes.

It is worth pointing out that the core specializations and such will come BEFORE HoT.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sytherek.7689

If you have completed more than 65 skill challenges on those characters they are good to go when the trait update comes.

It is worth pointing out that the core specializations and such will come BEFORE HoT.

Yup. Which is why I want to be sure my girls are ready.

I’ll probably do map completion on the mesmer just to be certain. She shouldn’t have too much trouble getting 100% in 6-8 weeks.

I’m very stoked for the chronomancer.

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

They like overreacting to make a point out of nothing.

You get 400 hero points for being level 80. You need a total of 465.
So, to unlock all of the base specs, you need 65 skill challenges, out of the 189 currently in-game.

That’s nowhere near 100% map completion, which requires Vistas and Points of Interests.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Did I read the blog post wrong? I was under the impression it was 465 for literally everything you could put points into.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The thing is, those numbers don’t add up.

Most professions have 5 skill lines. Guardians, for example have: 1) Consecrations; 2) Meditations; 3) Shouts; 4) Signets; and 5) Spirit Weapons.

35 * 5 = 175
60 * 5 = 300
300 + 175 = 475 (not the stated 465)

But wait! There’s the Elite skills, some of which fit within the 5 standard skill lines, some of which don’t. Guards get a Meditation and 2 Tomes. If ANet is stating “all core specs and skills” but not including the at-launch elite skills, there will be some push-back from fans, I can guarantee that.

There’s also the Healing skills. Some of them fit the standard lines, some don’t. Continuing with Guardian, they get a Signet, a Meditation and two unclassified skills. How are those unlocked?

Then, there are the racial skills. How are those unlocked?

My best guess (and it’s only a guess) is that there will be different costs for skill lines depending on how many skills are included. Iirc, the example given was Warrior Signets. Warriors get 1 healing, 1 elite and 4 regular signets. On the other hand, they only get 4 Physical skills. ANet could be arriving at 35 for Warrior Signets by charging for the non-elites at 5 points each, and the elite at 10.

Thus, I would not count on each skill line costing 35 points.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Did I read the blog post wrong? I was under the impression it was 465 for literally everything you could put points into.

For the core.

We’ll need more to unlock the elite. Don’t know how many more exactly. I’m guessing somewhere around 85 more (5pt x 12 traits (3 minor, 9 major) + 5pt x 5 skills (heal, utility, elite)). But we’ll see, I guess.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

RabbitUp.8294

Traits are unlocked with hero points, too.

But wait! There’s the Elite skills, some of which fit within the 5 standard skill lines, some of which don’t.
There’s also the Healing skills. Some of them fit the standard lines, some don’t.

All existing skills will now belong to one of the skill types their class currently has access to. For example, Thieves’ Withdraw is going to be a Trick.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Traits are unlocked with hero points, too.

But wait! There’s the Elite skills, some of which fit within the 5 standard skill lines, some of which don’t.
There’s also the Healing skills. Some of them fit the standard lines, some don’t.

All existing skills will now belong to one of the skill types their class currently has access to. For example, Thieves’ Withdraw is going to be a Trick.

And they are talking about changing the tomes, for the time being. The idea is for one to become a sig, the other to become a shout. Decent size thread regarding those thoughts over in the Guard forum.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Thanks for the clarification on the Tomes and unclassified heal skills. The numbers still don’t add up if all 5 skill lines were to cost 35, though.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Thanks for the clarification on the Tomes and unclassified heal skills. The numbers still don’t add up if all 5 skill lines were to cost 35, though.

None of the numbers where set in stone, and he might have misspoke too. Or maybe it was an average. Who knows.

Edit: Looking at your guardian example:
Currently
1) Consecrations – 4 (20pts)
2) Meditations – 6 (30pts)
3) Shouts – 4 (20pts)
4) Signets – 5 (25pts)
5) Spirit Weapons – 4 (20pts)

And 4 left over that they are trying to figure out where to stick, which is another 20 pts.

Which only makes 135 pnts, and they did say it would be like 5 pnts per…So I’m thinking he just misspoke regarding the numbers.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

RabbitUp.8294

There are more than 5: https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/6ddd5HeroPanel_ScreenshotTraining4.jpg

Traits seem to have their own lines. Now, the points in these pictures don’t match what we know at all (2048 points left, 25 for the next rank of Water Magic)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Egad, if I need 60 more on top of my 65 …. /weeps … I’ve just been pushing one of each profession to 100 challenges done, in the hope that will cover all core + elite. That’ll leave me 25 shy, darn it. I still have to get Ranger and Ele to 100, then raise bonus alts to 100, and 25 more per alt on top of that will take quite a while especially as I’ll have used up the low hanging fruit.

At least Orr has a ton of skill challenges per zone. Even if they do take more work to get to.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

….

Skill Challenges are part of Map completion….the skill point was just the reward. They know.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Just to be clear, you only need to have done the skill challenges. I ran all my toons through the starter areas and Orr to make sure I had +65 skill challenges completed on each (I PvP a fair bit, so I got several toons with hardly any map completion).

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Sytherek.7689

Well, now I’m uncertain again.

Will being 80 plus doing 65 skill challenges be enough to unlock everything?

The responses herein are inconsistent, leading me to believe that the issue is not clear and that ANet hasn’t been precise in their explanations.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

What they said in the 4 hour live stream was that with the numbers as they currently are (and these are subject to change, so the exact numbers could differ, perhaps significantly), leveling to 80 will get you enough for three trait lines and doing 65 skill challenges will add enough to do a full unlock of all the core stuff. You will still need more challenges done to get the elite spec once HoT comes out. Since the core change is coming sooner than HoT, there will be some time to adjust and to go gather more skill challenges before you need them for your elite.

Hopefully that “65” figure applies to traits + skills, not only to traits. The live stream’s focus was on traits, so I could see them only telling us what’s needed for those, even though the hero points will also be used to buy skill lines.

Something I’ve noticed: You get a very nice x/189 skill challenges tracker on your world map. However, the 189 reflects only those challenges that count to world completion. If you do Dry Top/SW challenges and/or WvW challenges, you should have credit for more of them than show on your world map. I directly tested this as I have been cycling through alts getting them first to 65, then 100 challenges, and the counter did not change when I did a Dry Top skill point or when I did two SW skill points. I didn’t check WvW as I am leaving that for super last and only if I find myself with no other challenges source while still in need of points.