Class Action

Class Action

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Orimidu.9604

Orimidu.9604

So. Who among you has the guts to file a class action lawsuit for this? I bought GW2 when it was 10 bucks back in March/April, but it’s way beyond the 30 day notice now. 10 bucks could have gone toward HoT. Personally I’ll be waiting for the inevitable sale when not enough people buy the xpac, but I’d love to watch the fireworks of a class action suit, especially since there seems to be a case for one.

Class Action

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’ll never happen. The worst case scenario would be Anet would have to offer refunds, which they’re going to do anyway. Silliest post of the entire episode so far.

Class Action

Posted by: Cyrrin.1230

Cyrrin.1230

What’s the case?

Is 10 bucks even worth the thought of a class action?

Class Action

Vayne.8563

It would cost more to prosecute the case than anyone would make.

Class Action

Posted by: Orimidu.9604

Orimidu.9604

Not offering refunds for people who bought the game over a month ago. But you’re right, it’ll never happen because nobody here wants to go through the trouble. I was thinking of the deceptive advertising when a CA popped into my head. Mainly switching up the wording of their FAQ.

(edited by Orimidu.9604)

Class Action

Posted by: choban.9027

choban.9027

Well, you did get your money’s worth if you played the game these past 3 months. I would be sympathetic if you did miss those sales and bought the game for full price. It’s still kinda shady because HoT FAQ did say that core game is needed to play expansion, but as I said, you did get your money’s worth after all, imo.

Class Action

Vayne.8563

Not offering refunds for people who bought the game over a month ago. But you’re right, it’ll never happen because nobody here wants to go through the trouble. I was thinking of the deceptive advertising when a CA popped into my head. Mainly switching up the wording of their FAQ.

The problem is, changing a FAQ isn’t against the law. Changing policy for a sale isn’t against the law either. Neither of these things is against the law.

Now, the FAQ said that the game was required to play HoT and get this, the game IS required to play HoT. You just get the game included. So the first FAQ wasn’t even factually incorrect.

Anet will offer refunds and I’m sure anyone who wants a refund who’s had it longer than 30 days who pushes can probably get one, and I’m pretty sure Anet is even going to announce something like this sometime this week.

Class Action

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

Sir thats extreme, I don’t think thats gonna help anyone, well except a fat cat lawyer.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

Class Action

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

That $10 account came with $20 worth of bonuses (heroic edition) and just by logging in every day, has an additional value of ~$4/month.

Class Action

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

Well, you did get your money’s worth if you played the game these past 3 months. I would be sympathetic if you did miss those sales and bought the game for full price. It’s still kinda shady because HoT FAQ did say that core game is needed to play expansion, but as I said, you did get your money’s worth after all, imo.

The important thing is that the FAQ specifically said “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.” That remains true, and nowhere does it say “You must purchase the base game for X amount.”

Anyone actually considering a lawsuit doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Chatter about the “principle” all you want, but the situation is more likely to be seen as ANet cutting costs for new players than suckering them into buying the base game. They are free to change the value of that base game. If you purchased the base game, you got the base game, as advertised. That base game will be necessary to play Heart of Thorns, as advertised.

Class Action

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Contact support and ask for a refund. Cite deceptive advertising as a reason. If the $10 is that important to you, it’s well worth losing your account, all its progress and starting over completely new with an expansion account.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.