Concept of Dueling/Party vs Party

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

YUP I’m brining it back up again. Deal.

Love it or hate it. I for one love the idea of being able to duel in PvE. imagine 1vs1 fights or maybe 5vs5 party vs party fights in L.A as people watch! And before you start the match, you can set a wager if you want. How cool would this be? You can say " that’s what PvP is for!" And yeah you’re right, but not everyone wants to rent out a room for a 5 min duel. Nor do we wanna go into a dueling only server cause those always get trolled. We already have costume brawls, why not real ones?
Some ideas:
Ask a player to duel, if they accept, a banner is dropped with each players guild logo. Players will have a ten second countdown, and when it reaches 0 each player will bow automatically, and begin the fight. The first player downed loses. The winner will recieve the wage and have the crown displayed over their head.

Anyway to the point, do you guys think HoT will bring this to the table for those of us who want it? And if you don’t want it what do you care? You don’t have to use it, just like the FP camera. It’s just a bonus. They can always add a block duel invites option.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

said it before, will say it again.

while i wouldn’t use this feature much, i see no reason why it shouldn’t be added at some point. I would say it should be put on the backburner of things to do, but then again they added first person camera already, and this is just as important as that imo.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

5v5 isn’t a duel…

I’d love the game to have duels, but it’s against A-net’s policy for some reason. The whole sub-class of WvW players love to duel. Hell, they even made a map for roamers, which devolved into zerg trains, but whatever. And yet, we still can’t have proper duels. Not even in the PvP lobby while we wait for those 5 min+ queues to pass.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think it will be enabled with the release of HoT.

Which works for me, but…as you said….I shouldn’t care. /shrug

p.s. Dueling is 1v1. Not sure how 5v5 (only) would be implemented just anywhere.

TheFool.4589

I don’t think it will be enabled with the release of HoT.

Which works for me, but…as you said….I shouldn’t care. /shrug

p.s. Dueling is 1v1. Not sure how 5v5 (only) would be implemented just anywhere.

True, I should edit that….what I meant was having the option to 1vs1 or party vs party.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

No matter how many times this is brought up, it doesn’t make sense.

You can already do what you’re describing. 1vs1, 5vs5… all of that can be done anytime, anywhere in the world, with the push of a button.

You can keep requesting it. I can deal with that. But your argument is unsound.

TheFool.4589

No matter how many times this is brought up, it doesn’t make sense.

You can already do what you’re describing. 1vs1, 5vs5… all of that can be done anytime, anywhere in the world, with the push of a button.

You can keep requesting it. I can deal with that. But your argument is unsound.

Did you read what I wrote? I already addressed pvp.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Honestly OP, if anyone gave a kitten about your cute little duels (which no one does) and we actually wanted to watch (which no one does) there is the PvP spectator mode for that reason. Go to sPvP, do your duel there, and if we want to watch (we won’t) then we have that option.

Open world dueling serves no purpose and does not make the game any better for the majority. Keep in mind who ArenaNet primarily caters to (hint: it’s not the duelists, the RP community, or the people coming from other MMO’s that want to change GW2 to those other games).

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Yeah, spvp is what you’re looking for. No need to introduce pvp in pve.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

ITheNormalPerson.9275

What i’m curious, aimed towards the people who don’t want it, is “why” you don’t want it? in what way would it negatively affect the game if it were added?

Like, personally, i probably wouldn’t use the feature and i think it’s a bit silly. but i don’t know why i “wouldn’t” want it added.

(And to be honest, i don’t think it’d take “that” much work to implement. I believe they actually enabled open-world pvp for woodenpotatoes? i’m not sure, i’ve just heard that from others)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

(edited by ITheNormalPerson.9275)

TheFool.4589

Honestly OP, if anyone gave a kitten about your cute little duels (which no one does) and we actually wanted to watch (which no one does) there is the PvP spectator mode for that reason. Go to sPvP, do your duel there, and if we want to watch (we won’t) then we have that option.

Open world dueling serves no purpose and does not make the game any better for the majority. Keep in mind who ArenaNet primarily caters to (hint: it’s not the duelists, the RP community, or the people coming from other MMO’s that want to change GW2 to those other games).

Nothing serves a purpose, but this would mean people like me who like to duel can. It doesn’t effect you at all. Don’t want it? Don’t use it. But the people who do want to will. The same way we got First person cameras. Again NO ONE WANTS TO RENT AN ARENA FOR A 5 MIN DUEL.

Read!!! How hard is this to understand? I don’t get why people are so against getting things that they don’t want. It’s extra stuff!! Again you don’t have to use it! What do you care?
Give a real solid reason as to why PvE dueling will effect you. Not the devs, YOU.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

GW2 is not the game for that, those wanting 1v1 call 1v1 specs cheese, 1v1 is not supported, GW2 is a casual theme park ,they prefer their pvp instanced #esports ,they balance around conquest, GW2 is a casual theme park .

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Rogue Sol.1457

Rogue Sol.1457

I’m with TheFool; I want to face someone in single combat. It’s really not possible in SPVP without buying and setting up your own arena and that’s only for temporary usage. Going to an empty room doesn’t work because eventually someone will enter and it causes interference on the duel. I’m sure even if someone tries to seek out the most isolated parts of WvW there will still be someone that comes in and immediately attacks the guy with the red tag above their head. For team play I’m only familiar with guild owned maps, and unsure if you can get your entire party into a single room at once if it’s near capacity and challenge another specific party to a battle.

Though having it in the open world will be great for rping, you might have problems where you’ll have a ton of people dueling in the cities making it lag. It might be something you can resolve by having small instance areas that players can enter and fight it out in; the Bane would be one idea place for this! Throughout the open world you see NPCs sparing with each other, I don’t see why players can’t do the same outside of Heart of the Mists.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

What i’m curious, aimed towards the people who don’t want it, is “why” you don’t want it? in what way would it negatively affect the game if it were added?

Like, personally, i probably wouldn’t use the feature and i think it’s a bit silly. but i don’t know why i “wouldn’t” want it added.

(And to be honest, i don’t think it’d take “that” much work to implement. I believe they actually enabled open-world pvp for woodenpotatoes? i’m not sure, i’ve just heard that from others)

Why dont we want it? Its a distraction, we dont want to be spammed with duel invites( Even an autodecline feature wont stop this), We dont want to have to deal with the trolls and other idiots who come with dueling.(Turning whispers off is not an option, and is a stupid response)

I am all for Dueling in certain areas in certain zones around the world. See the bane in the black citadel, the queens pavilion in DA, are two examples. But a full no on dueling everywhere. As are most of the people who are in the middle(like me) in almost every thread that pops up like this, ive counted almost everytime.
This is from the last thread i counted though, and was asking for open world Dueling.
Against. 73
Against, but for dueling if implemented in some way that players didnt have to see it, and or if it was in specific zones. 43
For Dueling, as long as its opt in. 24
For open world PVP. 8
Non specific answers, inculding those “Only against X race” 11

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Anyway to the point, do you guys think HoT will bring this to the table for those of us who want it?

No, there’s no reason to, as the option is already in the game. You just don’t want to use it.
PvE should stay PvE, duels are PvP, and that’s where they belong – in the Mists, with the rest of PvP stuff.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

TheFool.4589

Why dont we want it? Its a distraction, we dont want to be spammed with duel invites( Even an autodecline feature wont stop this), We dont want to have to deal with the trolls and other idiots who come with dueling.(Turning whispers off is not an option, and is a stupid response)

I am all for Dueling in certain areas in certain zones around the world. See the bane in the black citadel, the queens pavilion in DA, are two examples. But a full no on dueling everywhere. As are most of the people who are in the middle(like me) in almost every thread that pops up like this, ive counted almost everytime.
This is from the last thread i counted though, and was asking for open world Dueling.
Against. 73
Against, but for dueling if implemented in some way that players didnt have to see it, and or if it was in specific zones. 43
For open world PVP. 8

how would a “Block duel invites” button not work?? Lol huh? Your points are invalid. You deal with gold spammers don’t you?

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Dante.1763

Read the OP. reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaad

Wasnt talking to you now was i? I was responding to that persons question. Not yours.

As for your edit. See the part about trolls.

They dont have a button for blocking gold spammers now do they? And thats whisper, not duel invites. There is no “GOLD SPAM THIS PERSON” Button. Your point is invalid. You could block duel invites with a button, but then you would have to deal with that person whispering you like an kitten if they so choose. Just like every player has to deal with gold spammers. But you know what? at least gold spammers get banned.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Sagat.3285

Anyway to the point, do you guys think HoT will bring this to the table for those of us who want it?

No, there’s no reason to, as the option is already in the game. You just don’t want to use it.
PvE should stay PvE, duels are PvP, and that’s where they belong – in the Mists, with the rest of PvP stuff.

There is a reason to but the reason not to is to save casuals. When both are mixed property you have constant challenge like BDO before CB3 when you separate them both become stale and the game need expansions,dungeons become easy,you don’t make real friends and your game is down hill run. Do you know a game named Lineage 1? Since 1998 it never stopped being played until the NA servers were shut down and only koreans play it right now, GW2 will never be close to that no matter how many expansions.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

TheFool.4589

Wasnt talking to you now was i? I was responding to that persons question. Not yours.

They dont have a button for blocking gold spammers now do they? And thats whisper, not duel invites. There is no “GOLD SPAM THIS PERSON” Button. Your point is invalid.

Whispers=player accounts…….“Block duel invites”= game mechanic……
think about what you just wrote, lol

Dante.1763

There is a reason to but the reason not to is to save casuals. When both are mixed property you have constant challenge like BDO before CB3 when you separate them both become stale and the game need expansions,dungeons become easy,you don’t make real friends and your game is down hill run. Do you know a game named Lineage 1?

So..According to you, the people i do dungeons with everyday, do map exploration with, and constantly talk to. Those arent my friends? HUH?! Just what? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

They dont have a button for blocking gold spammers now do they? And thats whisper, not duel invites. There is no “GOLD SPAM THIS PERSON” Button. Your point is invalid.

I did, stop being an condescending kitten . Just because you have “Block duel invites” turned on, does not mean that person wont whisper you, either to ask to duel or call you a “kittening kitten” for not dueling.

(edited by Dante.1763)

TheFool.4589

There is a reason to but the reason not to is to save casuals. When both are mixed property you have constant challenge like BDO before CB3 when you separate them both become stale and the game need expansions,dungeons become easy,you don’t make real friends and your game is down hill run. Do you know a game named Lineage 1?

So..According to you, the people i do dungeons with everyday, do map exploration with, and constantly talk to. Those arent my friends? HUH?! Just what? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

I did, stop being an condescending kitten . Just because you have “Block duel invites” turned on, does not mean that person wont whisper you, either to ask to duel or call you a “kittening kitten” for not dueling.

And what do you do to people who are annoying? Again…points invalid. Bring in the dancing lobsters!

Dante.1763

And what do you do to people who are annoying? Again…points invalid. Bring in the dancing lobsters!

Why are you even responding to me? My post had nothing to do with your idea. it was in response to a persons question asking why those of us who didnt want it, dont want it.

if you had ACTUALLY READ my post, you would clearly see that i want dueling. in specific areas. So im on your side, partly at least. Well not yours, but the players in general who want dueling implemented in some way.

I dont want to deal with kittens in game whenever i play(which is what would happen, it happens enough already). Again, stop being a condescending kitten. Its not a good way to discuss something, and gets you nowhere, and it stops people from wanting to engage in discussion with you. Which is what happened here, have a nice day! I know i will be, in game running around exploring spam free!

Sagat.3285

You don’t really trust or know them because there is no reason to, they are acquaintances.

The Dhuumfire thread

TheFool.4589

Why are you even responding to me? My post had nothing to do with your idea. it was in response to a persons question asking why those of us who didnt want it, dont want it.

if you had ACTUALLY READ my post, you would clearly see that i want dueling. in specific areas. So im on your side, partly at least. Well not yours, but the players in general who want dueling implemented in some way.

I dont want to deal with kittens in game whenever i play(which is what would happen, it happens enough already). Again, stop being a condescending kitten. Its not a good way to discuss something, and gets you nowhere, and it stops people from wanting to engage in discussion with you. Which is what happened here, have a nice day! I know i will be, in game running around exploring spam free!

I still don’t understand what your trying to say. You’re for dueling, but only in certain areas, but you don’t want dueling anywhere cause you feel you’ll get spammed? Again….huh? Dueling anywhere will not effect you any more then gold spammers whispering you…..I don’t understand why this is such a big deal. Check the “block invites” box, and treat whispers the same as gold spammers…..that’s why they have a block feature….seriously I don’t get it.
You’re basically saying " don’t add it cause then I have to deal with spammers and that’s to hard" you are also saying things that might not even happen to you.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Astralporing.1957

There is a reason to but the reason not to is to save casuals. When both are mixed property you have constant challenge like BDO before CB3 when you separate them both become stale and the game need expansions,dungeons become easy,you don’t make real friends and your game is down hill run.

So, only PvP players have real friends. Please, go on, this is getting interesting…

Do you know a game named Lineage 1? Since 1998 it never stopped being played until the NA servers were shut down and only koreans play it right now, GW2 will never be close to that no matter how many expansions.

Good. I don’t want GW2 become another korean grinder.

Actions, not words.

Sagat.3285

There is a reason to but the reason not to is to save casuals. When both are mixed property you have constant challenge like BDO before CB3 when you separate them both become stale and the game need expansions,dungeons become easy,you don’t make real friends and your game is down hill run.

So, only PvP players have real friends. Please, go on, this is getting interesting…

Do you know a game named Lineage 1? Since 1998 it never stopped being played until the NA servers were shut down and only koreans play it right now, GW2 will never be close to that no matter how many expansions.

What keeps you playing and doesn’t make you a copy of any random player? Explain to me why games like Eve Online, Lineage series and alike last longer and become more successful than your average mmo. BDO was supposed to get that shine but it’s became casual focused and dropped even in Korea, GW2 is more challenging than it and the previous games made by the company were way better C9 and Vindictus.

Please explain to me what makes a successful MMORPG, plz do.

Edit: The fact that you said only PvP players have real friends shows your ignorance as well as anyone thinking the same.

The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

TheFool.4589

What keeps you playing and doesn’t make you a copy of any random player? Explain to me why games like Eve Online, Lineage series and alike last longer and become more successful than your average mmo. BDO was supposed to get that shine but it’s became casual focused and dropped even in Korea, GW2 is more challenging than it and the previous games made by the company were way better C9 and Vindictus.

Please explain to me what makes a successful MMORPG, plz do.

Take it to PM guys.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Against. 73
For open world PVP. 8

how would a “Block duel invites” button not work?? Lol huh? Your points are invalid. You deal with gold spammers don’t you?

and people dislike dealing with gold spammers… that was a rather bad comparison for your cause.

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

YUP I’m brining it back up again. Deal.

Love it or hate it. I for one love the idea of being able to duel in PvE. imagine 1vs1 fights or maybe 5vs5 party vs party fights in L.A as people watch! And before you start the match, you can set a wager if you want. How cool would this be? You can say " that’s what PvP is for!" And yeah you’re right, but not everyone wants to rent out a room for a 5 min duel. Nor do we wanna go into a dueling only server cause those always get trolled. We already have costume brawls, why not real ones?
Some ideas:
Ask a player to duel, if they accept, a banner is dropped with each players guild logo. Players will have a ten second countdown, and when it reaches 0 each player will bow automatically, and begin the fight. The first player downed loses. The winner will recieve the wage and have the crown displayed over their head.

Anyway to the point, do you guys think HoT will bring this to the table for those of us who want it? And if you don’t want it what do you care? You don’t have to use it, just like the FP camera. It’s just a bonus. They can always add a block duel invites option.

Yeah, that’s a horrible idea. Random duelers, artificially scaling up any of the mobs in game that scale. No thanks.

A. Too much potential for trolling innocent players trying to PvE.

B. We have a Personal Arenas available that you can port directly to and fight how ever you like.

It is not a matter of whether or not I have to use it. It is a matter of whether or not I can be trolled with it. As of now, your suggestion for it is very poor in that respect. As well, it strikes me as an unnecessary waste of manpower considering we already have designed areas for fighting other players, such as personal arenas.

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

i could care less about duels,

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I care about duels and hope to see it added to open world I also see players in open world commenting about it and wanting it. And those who often are against it usually tend to be those who arnt focusing on pvp. I wish devs could give some sneak peak as of their standing on this request as it pops up now n then.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Rogue Sol.1457

Rogue Sol.1457

Yeah, that’s a horrible idea. Random duelers, artificially scaling up any of the mobs in game that scale. No thanks.

A. Too much potential for trolling innocent players trying to PvE.

B. We have a Personal Arenas available that you can port directly to and fight how ever you like.

It is not a matter of whether or not I have to use it. It is a matter of whether or not I can be trolled with it. As of now, your suggestion for it is very poor in that respect. As well, it strikes me as an unnecessary waste of manpower considering we already have designed areas for fighting other players, such as personal arenas.

Trolls can scale up mobs by just moving into an area and standing there or kiting other enemies into it. Trolls find their way with everything. I believe they can add a block duel invite button for people who don’t want to have to deal with it.

I’ve played a few games that had dueling options and didn’t have a ton of problems with trolls trying to spam a duel button on me like The Old Republic and Champions Online and The Old Republic comes with its own battlefield pvp areas. All they have to do is spawn a personal circle for both combatants; like events that have a control area. Step out for a certain time and the duel’s over. They should also block the option to start duels in the middle of combat, like how you can’t change your skills or traits in battle.

Obviously many people on both sides of the argument are passionate about this topic (and others just don’t care one way or another) but it doesn’t help either side when people keep trying to thrash the others’ opinion on the topic and become rude. Remain civil people.

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

I would really love to see this implemented.

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

I would really love to see this implemented.

me 2

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

5v5 isn’t a duel…

Yeah but it would be fun “Meet us as in Gendarin Field at noon! And will resolve this…”
I imagine people would be able to find some fun spots to fight… might interfere with events though (not sure how but maybe).
The Charr have an arena just lying around, why not put the duels in there?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Take it to PM guys.

Oh no, don’t do that. Normal people need to see that these wannabe kitten duelers refuse to take “NO” for an answer, and that’s exactly what map chat would devolve to if Anet brought open world dueling to the PvE maps.

Players who want to duel already have a couple of good options, and the PvE maps isn’t one of them. Suits me just fine, and I am a regular roamer in WvW. The two game modes should be held far apart, for the sake of both modes.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Sagat.3285

Take it to PM guys.

Oh no, don’t do that. Normal people need to see that these wannabe kitten duelers refuse to take “NO” for an answer, and that’s exactly what map chat would devolve to if Anet brought open world dueling to the PvE maps.

Players who want to duel already have a couple of good options, and the PvE maps isn’t one of them. Suits me just fine, and I am a regular roamer in WvW. The two game modes should be held far apart, for the sake of both modes.

For me personally it’s not about the duel in anyway, duels are terrible here lol, it’s about constant challenge in every mode but of course casual or regular players won’t understand.

The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

For me personally it’s not about the duel in anyway, duels are terrible here lol, it’s about constant challenge in every mode…

This game has never been about “constant challenge”, and never will be. The most challenging content here involves coordinating 100 or more players with different languages, to take down a mega-boss. You can even AFK a lot of that and still get credit. How’s that for casual?

That’s why you wont see open world PvP here.

Even though I play a LOT of WvW, I like to be able to pull off to safe spot when it’s my turn to serve drinks. I couldn’t do that in an constant challenge, open world PvP game, which is why I don’t play them.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No thanks

The Burninator

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I care about duels and hope to see it added to open world I also see players in open world commenting about it and wanting it. And those who often are against it usually tend to be those who arnt focusing on pvp. I wish devs could give some sneak peak as of their standing on this request as it pops up now n then.

Fast forward 14:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU&feature=youtu.be&t=13m24s

just a matter of time!

JQ Druid

Sagat.3285

For me personally it’s not about the duel in anyway, duels are terrible here lol, it’s about constant challenge in every mode…

This game has never been about “constant challenge”, and never will be. The most challenging content here involves coordinating 100 or more players with different languages, to take down a mega-boss. You can even AFK a lot of that and still get credit. How’s that for casual?

That’s why you wont see open world PvP here.

Even though I play a LOT of WvW, I like to be able to pull off to safe spot when it’s my turn to serve drinks. I couldn’t do that in an constant challenge, open world PvP game, which is why I don’t play them.

Exactly, they said they will create some sort of challenge I’m just waiting to see it and how the new borderlands will end up it’s leaning toward PPT so far. GW2 was a pass time for me in my last years of other mmos that ended messing up, I grew to like it because it was different. It seems GW1 was more “active” in it’s prime but it had many expansions GW2 is at it’s first so we’ll see.

I was waiting for BDO but what they did after CBT2 made me go away, so I’m still waiting for a real main mmo but I probably will still play GW2 for it’s uniqueness .

The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

The most challenging content here involves coordinating 100 or more players with different languages, to take down a mega-boss. You can even AFK a lot of that and still get credit. How’s that for casual?

Uhh, no?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

TheFool.4589

5v5 isn’t a duel…

Yeah but it would be fun “Meet us as in Gendarin Field at noon! And will resolve this…”
I imagine people would be able to find some fun spots to fight… might interfere with events though (not sure how but maybe).
The Charr have an arena just lying around, why not put the duels in there?

Exactly, this would be so cool! And we can fight with our real gear! just make it so you can’t request duels inside event rings. Easy enough.

Posted by: Indweller.1402

Indweller.1402

The difference between pve zone duels and pvp zone duels is armor, stats, and weapons. They are higher, more varied and more potent in pve. Pvp stats only reach 49% crit rate and 200% crit, but in pve I can get to 230% crit and 90% rate. In pvp, the most condi I can get to is 1500, but in pve I can get it up to 2000.

I know WvW exists for the roamers, but what if I (on Blackgate) wanted to duel someone on Henge of Denravi? One of us would have to change worlds just for the opportunity. THAT IS 1600 GEMS PEOPLE. 20$ US. UH UH.

I played Runes of Magic a long time ago. They had open world dueling, and it worked just as the OP proposed. There wasn’t that much dueling request spam. You mostly dueled your friends, just to say “HAHAHA I TROLLED YOUR KITTEN.”

I would welcome open world dueling and +1 the OP. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSTANT THOUGHTS ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE GAME FOR FUTURE PLAYERS. As opposed to the mainstream player who wants to keep it the same bc that is how GW2 has always done it.

Astralporing.1957

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSTANT THOUGHTS ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE GAME FOR FUTURE PLAYERS.

But that’s exactly the point – whether adding duels is an improvement is debatable. And it sems most people arguing seem that it will actually be detrimental to the game.

Yes, i get it, you want to change the game into one you like, but i’d rather see it stay the way I like. And duels or (even worse) open world PvP for me are a change for the worse.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Give a real solid reason as to why PvE dueling will effect you. Not the devs, YOU.

The reason it will affect me? Ok, you asked. Hey forum, you all see this, right? He asked. Gaile, forum mods, you all see this, right? I know you do. HE ASKED. So here it goes.

First: I would get way too many dueling requests because I tend to be, shall we say, antagonistic and often ‘win arguments’ about pointless things. It’s so easy for people to get worked up over any little thing. It’s the type of situation where I point out someone’s error and they hate it, so they think that ‘kicking my kitten ’ would make them right and me wrong. It’s like the trial by combat for Minister Zamon.

Sure, ArenaNet could implement a feature to ignore all dueling requests, but let’s face it, the feature probably wouldn’t work properly at first because new features tend to be buggy. There’s no telling when it could be fixed it if did become an issue.

Additionally, when the majority ends up auto-declining all dueling requests, the only thing that will happen is you and players like you resorting to ‘abusive language’ and taunting, calling other players kitten and sissies for not wanting to duel you. The local chat deserves better.

I admit, sometimes I say stupid things on chat from time to time, but I usually don’t directly target specific players with ‘vulgar insults’ (I put these things in quotes because most players find them offensive whereas I don’t). Your taunts won’t have any effect on me personally, but the players around me will be offended, and I won’t allow that.

Yes, we could all just block you (we will) but ultimately all that does is create a feature that will end up not being used very much at all, and you STILL won’t get your duel no matter the taunt. People block me, I don’t care. Life goes on. People will block you AND you will not get your duel. You really are only setting yourself up for disappointment (and for ArenaNet to waste time and resources for a feature that won’t get used much by the majority of players, just like costume brawl and town clothes).
———————
Second: I’m a terrible duelist. Sure, I COULD take the time to devise a specific strategy against every single build out there and be unbeatable, but it would be totally pointless. I would get no benefit from it except be more hated than I already am. People hate losing. Ego stroking and kitten measuring contests (which is all that dueling is and nothing more) are not levels I’d like to lower myself to.
——————
Third: It wouldn’t be long before the builds stagnated and the clear unbeatables will become apparent very soon after. Given the not so large pool of skills/builds, it would get to the point where a duel is decided before it even began. It would be a constant back and forth of “Oh you’re going to play as X? Well I’ll switch to my Y”, causing that other player to switch from X to Z, causing you to switch from Y to W, and this would go on repeatedly because of the inevitable ‘meta’ builds that would be guaranteed wins against specific classes.

After that, all that would be left is players like you just giving up and exclaiming “Dueling in this game sucks! This game sucks! Don’t play this game!” and I don’t want that.

Fourth: You can’t seem to take the hint that you shouldn’t be posting PvP suggestions into the non-PvP sections of the forums, thus bringing down your credibility. It makes it hard for me (and possibly the devs) to take you seriously. More than once in recent days you have made posts regarding PvP in the non-PvP sections. I assume it is because the majority of people don’t frequent the non-PvP parts of the forums and you know it (which speaks VOLUMES about why the features the minority wants don’t always get implemented). There’s a reason the PvP section of the forums have the same, smaller batch of players frequenting them and the majority are here on the normal, non-PvP section.
——————
Fifth You brought up costume brawl. It is a dead feature that is only ever used during specific events where it is part of the daily as an incentive for the (and this is an important point here) PvE/casual players.

Remember that you, the duelist, are not the primary demographic target for ArenaNet’s business model. They will try to cater to you when they can (and they do from time to time, which is great), but like the RP and GvG communities, the duelist community (assuming it genuinely exists outside of the handful of very outspoken few) tends to take a backseat to the casuals/PvE community.
———————————-

I understand that you really want/like the dueling feature, but I need YOU to understand that it might not happen, possibly for the reasons I’ve outlined. This is not including ArenaNet’s reasons for not doing it. Sorry, man.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

So many strange reasons given by people who dont want dueling, as if the world would end if it was implemented.. Dueling like any other activity have been done before in mmorpgs, devs could take exp from there n past mistakes to tweak it. There are many reasons for it, but sometimes when ur out there leveling or exploring with a friend its good to be able to duel as we progress our chars. If u dont want it then have it on toggle in options or ignore ppl What are people so afraif of, 1v1 isnt balanced, but dueling has proven to be fun in other games, and fun is a factor!

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

ITheNormalPerson.9275

-snip-

While i’m not necessarily disagreeing with your argument as a whole, a few things

to your first point, as people above have said, dueling already somewhat exists in the game, and in the 2 years i’ve played, only once have i had someone rage at me and demand to duel me. Just because you believe people would demand dueling if it were added doesn’t necessarily mean people will.

to the second point… i’m not exactly sure how that’s an argument against dueling? It’s like saying since i’m bad at dungeons, so i don’t want them to add more dungeons to the game.

for the third point, as i said, dueling already somewhat exists in the game currently. and people “already” complain about how awful the meta and builds are and all that jazz. I doubt adding dueling would increase the complaints much (and personally, i think the amount of builds in pvp and even specifically dueling is far more diverse than pve.)

the fourth point seems like more of a personal attack rather than a counter-argument, so no comment.

no comment to the fifth point either.

Most of the people in this thread against arguments seem to think that it would both interfere with your average PvE activities, and they would get spammed with duel requests or vulgarities.

as for the “interfering with PvE activities” i can’t say for sure, but to be perfectly honest, a majority of pve maps are already sort of dead most of the time anyways. and for the most part, i think duelists would want to avoid involving their duels in PvE activities just as much as you guys want to avoid PvP activities.

and the whole “spamming duel requests/screaming vulgarities” i also can’t say for sure, but neither can any of you. we don’t “know” if dueling would increase or decrease that sort of interaction. GW2 has been known for having a “good” community (at least by MMO standards), and GW2 is also quite different from your average MMO. it would be hard, or near impossible, to tell what effects this would have on the game, as an average player. simply saying “dueling will make people jerks!” is very much a slippery slope fallacy.

Again, I’m not specifically for OR against dueling. but personally, I still fail to see how it would harm the game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I often see those desired dueling say that they don’t want to go to another map/area to duel (when Arenas are suggested). They want to duel while waiting to do some event.

Thus, I can’t imagine they will zone into any ‘empty/dead’ maps so they can duel in peace, and stay away from popular events.

For the Devs: Just say no to Open World PvP/dueling. Thanks.

TheFool.4589

-snip-

While i’m not necessarily disagreeing with your argument as a whole, a few things

to your first point, as people above have said, dueling already somewhat exists in the game, and in the 2 years i’ve played, only once have i had someone rage at me and demand to duel me. Just because you believe people would demand dueling if it were added doesn’t necessarily mean people will.

to the second point… i’m not exactly sure how that’s an argument against dueling? It’s like saying since i’m bad at dungeons, so i don’t want them to add more dungeons to the game.

for the third point, as i said, dueling already somewhat exists in the game currently. and people “already” complain about how awful the meta and builds are and all that jazz. I doubt adding dueling would increase the complaints much (and personally, i think the amount of builds in pvp and even specifically dueling is far more diverse than pve.)

the fourth point seems like more of a personal attack rather than a counter-argument, so no comment.

no comment to the fifth point either.

Most of the people in this thread against arguments seem to think that it would both interfere with your average PvE activities, and they would get spammed with duel requests or vulgarities.

as for the “interfering with PvE activities” i can’t say for sure, but to be perfectly honest, a majority of pve maps are already sort of dead most of the time anyways. and for the most part, i think duelists would want to avoid involving their duels in PvE activities just as much as you guys want to avoid PvP activities.

and the whole “spamming duel requests/screaming vulgarities” i also can’t say for sure, but neither can any of you. we don’t “know” if dueling would increase or decrease that sort of interaction. GW2 has been known for having a “good” community (at least by MMO standards), and GW2 is also quite different from your average MMO. it would be hard, or near impossible, to tell what effects this would have on the game, as an average player. simply saying “dueling will make people jerks!” is very much a slippery slope fallacy.

Again, I’m not specifically for OR against dueling. but personally, I still fail to see how it would harm the game.

Thankyou for clearing this up, and seeing both sides rather then just saying no.
I too still fail to see why this would be such a problem. I think I even saw a post that said one of the reasons was “he was bad at it” come on guys. Your reasons are about as logical as a little kid not wanting to go to school. =P