Concept of Dueling/Party vs Party

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

Point is, again, it would be nice to be able to duel people or other parties.
These fights would have to be accepted by both players/parties.
These duels can not be done in a event rings.
Duels can have wagers if wanted.
Duels will have 10 seconds to get ready, when the clock runs out, both players will bow and begin the duel.
Duels will end when a player goes down.
Mobs will effect the fight seeing how it’s no different then WvW.

Reasons why dueling should be implanted.
Some people want dueling because there is no logical way to do so.
By logical I mean the current way requiares real money to rent a pvp room.
Renting a room for real money for a 5 min duel is not logical.
Duels will have a “Block Duel Invites” those who do not wish to participate will not have to,
Duels will allow a broader stat range then in PvP.

What it does for you.
1. Allows you and friends to duel anywhere in Tyria.
2. Doesn’t effect you if you do not want dueling.
3. Just a bonus, you either use it or don’t. But it’s there.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Posted by: Indweller.1402

Indweller.1402

Let’s all admit that we wait for Teq for 30 minutes. Some of us just want something to do for that 30 minutes that doesn’t involve arguing with the trolls that seem to be posting on this forum saying they don’t want to be bothered, they want to be the botherer.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

The problem is that open-world dueling goes against ArenaNet’s vision for player cooperation, the notion that “whenever you see another player, you’re happy to see that guy because he’s going to make the game more fun for you.”

If any other random player can punch “Duel This Player?” nine million times and harass them over whispers and call them all manner of names for being too ‘scared/casual/scrub’ to duel them? Well, then you’re not going to be happy to see other players.

Now, I get it. Not everyone who wants open-world dueling is going to be a gigantic flaming kittentroll with the feature, and if there is an auto-reject duel invites option (which is often assumed but may well not be there), then it’s not usually much more difficult to deal with than gold spammers, no. But nevertheless, there is no ‘Gold Spam This Player?’ button implemented in the UI, the way dueling would be, and you can’t ban an account for being a kittentroll with the dueling system the way you can ban someone for gold spamming.

It’s only an annoyance, yes. But it is an annoyance, and we all know how one annoyance at the wrong time can ruin someone’s entire day.

As well, the PvE players don’t especially want to allow the opening wedge of WoW- style ganktrolling kittenfroggery that open-world dueling would be. After all, if we get dueling, then why can’t we have a few limited zones where dueling is automatically on at all times? Hey, that was kinda fun! – why not expand it to little-used regular world areas, see what happens?

Yes, that’s obviously a slippery-slope argument, but let’s face it – PvP players are kinda known for being giant jerks to PvE players whenever they get a chance. It’s a thing they do. It’s why we’re all often so touchy about the issue of open-world PvP – you guys are jerks. Why give you more chances? If I go into a Wuv map or drop into sPvP, I’m expected to play by the PvP guys’ rules and go PvP things. And get horribly kittentrolled because I’m bad at PvP and have neither the desire nor opportunity to improve, but if I was in a PvP or Wuv zone, that would be my fault, not the PvP players’. After all, PvP is what happens in those zones; why am I there if I’m not there to get downed and then insulted?

So…why is it okay for the PvP players to go into a PvE zone and then demand the ability to bother anyone they like for PvP on a whim? Excuse me, it’s a PvE zone. Player Versus Environment. Dynamic events, map completion, world bosses, Living Story, what-have-you. It’s a zone intended for cooperative PvE. For all the “c’mon, how would it really hurt you guys to let us duel in the open world?” folks?

You’re dragging your PvP into our PvE. You’re spamming us with duel invites we don’t want, you’re harassing us via whisper, you’re causing a ruckus wherever you feel like it, and most of all you’re not playing cooperative PvE in the cooperative PvE zones.

If you want fixed-location dueling arenas, things like the Bane or the Pavilion? Fabulous, go for it. That way anyone in those areas would be there because they’re interested in duels, and the people who’re interested in PvE can continue to PvE without being ridiculed for doing PvE in the PvE zones.

If you want to fight other players, there’s organized Mist PvP for that. If you want to fight other players with your PvE stuff, there’s Wuv for that. If you want to fight other players with your PvE stuff, one-on-one without interruptions, and regardless of whether THEY want to fight YOU…

Well, there’s other games for that.

PvP zones are for PvP, Wuv zones are for Wuv, and PvE zones are for PvE. End of story, eh?

TheFool.4589

The problem is that open-world dueling goes against ArenaNet’s vision for player cooperation, the notion that “whenever you see another player, you’re happy to see that guy because he’s going to make the game more fun for you.”

If any other random player can punch “Duel This Player?” nine million times and harass them over whispers and call them all manner of names for being too ‘scared/casual/scrub’ to duel them? Well, then you’re not going to be happy to see other players.

Now, I get it. Not everyone who wants open-world dueling is going to be a gigantic flaming kittentroll with the feature, and if there is an auto-reject duel invites option (which is often assumed but may well not be there), then it’s not usually much more difficult to deal with than gold spammers, no. But nevertheless, there is no ‘Gold Spam This Player?’ button implemented in the UI, the way dueling would be, and you can’t ban an account for being a kittentroll with the dueling system the way you can ban someone for gold spamming.

It’s only an annoyance, yes. But it is an annoyance, and we all know how one annoyance at the wrong time can ruin someone’s entire day.

As well, the PvE players don’t especially want to allow the opening wedge of WoW- style ganktrolling kittenfroggery that open-world dueling would be. After all, if we get dueling, then why can’t we have a few limited zones where dueling is automatically on at all times? Hey, that was kinda fun! – why not expand it to little-used regular world areas, see what happens?

Yes, that’s obviously a slippery-slope argument, but let’s face it – PvP players are kinda known for being giant jerks to PvE players whenever they get a chance. It’s a thing they do. It’s why we’re all often so touchy about the issue of open-world PvP – you guys are jerks. Why give you more chances? If I go into a Wuv map or drop into sPvP, I’m expected to play by the PvP guys’ rules and go PvP things. And get horribly kittentrolled because I’m bad at PvP and have neither the desire nor opportunity to improve, but if I was in a PvP or Wuv zone, that would be my fault, not the PvP players’. After all, PvP is what happens in those zones; why am I there if I’m not there to get downed and then insulted?

So…why is it okay for the PvP players to go into a PvE zone and then demand the ability to bother anyone they like for PvP on a whim? Excuse me, it’s a PvE zone. Player Versus Environment. Dynamic events, map completion, world bosses, Living Story, what-have-you. It’s a zone intended for cooperative PvE. For all the “c’mon, how would it really hurt you guys to let us duel in the open world?” folks?

You’re dragging your PvP into our PvE. You’re spamming us with duel invites we don’t want, you’re harassing us via whisper, you’re causing a ruckus wherever you feel like it, and most of all you’re not playing cooperative PvE in the cooperative PvE zones.

If you want fixed-location dueling arenas, things like the Bane or the Pavilion? Fabulous, go for it. That way anyone in those areas would be there because they’re interested in duels, and the people who’re interested in PvE can continue to PvE without being ridiculed for doing PvE in the PvE zones.

If you want to fight other players, there’s organized Mist PvP for that. If you want to fight other players with your PvE stuff, there’s Wuv for that. If you want to fight other players with your PvE stuff, one-on-one without interruptions, and regardless of whether THEY want to fight YOU…

Well, there’s other games for that.

PvP zones are for PvP, Wuv zones are for Wuv, and PvE zones are for PvE. End of story, eh?

NOPE! Still want the option to duel!
It’s not open world dueling. I can’t just randomly go up to someone and kill them. You have to actually right click their name and issue a request.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

It’s not open world dueling. I can’t just randomly go up to someone and kill them. You have to actually right click their name and issue a request.

big problem w/ the haters here i think is they confuse open world duels w/ open world ganking. very closed-minded individuals. ‘my way is right, no other way could work’

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Pvp is balanced for 5v5 conquest and not for dueling. All your arguments are invalid.

/thread

Jaxom.7310

Pvp is balanced for 5v5 conquest and not for dueling. All your arguments are invalid.

/thread

sorry, did someone in this thread say they wanted pvp to balance around 1v1 duels? or were they saying it’d be fun to have something else to do in the open world?

or are you just a strawman for the rest of us to make u look like a fool?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Oh so you want imbalanced 1v1 in open world? Sure then. Anet pls add this. I want more “<profession name> is too op I can’t win” qq on this forums.

Posted by: Crey.5263

Crey.5263

I will completely agree with Devillordlaser pvp players are notoriously kitten jerks… However, I will say that I am a pve player and I would occasionally like to challenge people that I know (not really interested in challenging some random stranger to a duel) just for fun, maybe while we are sitting around waiting for tequatl to spawn or for what ever reason that we pve players have downtime.

I think that the guild halls may offer an outlet to allow for dueling, I mean that’s what they were used for in gw1…

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Dear TheFool: ONE of my reasons is very evident in your responses to the people in this thread who disagree with you. People who want to duel and are told no, whether that is an auto response or an actual response, often become insulting and hateful to the people who do not want to duel. Most of your responses in this thread would be actionable if people were to report them.

Whether you think I’m acting like a little kid, or you think I’m illogical, or you think I don’t know how to read, the fact is I don’t want to have to deal with your crap (or that of other duelists) in my game play session.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

DevilLordLaser.8619

And this has proven my point nicely.

You start this thread, ostensibly for the purpose of figuring out why people don’t want dueling, and then when we tell you why we don’t want dueling, your response?

“DON’TCAREWANTDUELSLOLOL”

Well, maybe I ’don’tcaredon’twantduelshuehue’, because as I said I don’t want PvP in PvE zones. I don’t particularly care if it’s controlled PvP or if I “have to actually right click their name and issue a request.” I don’t want the requests. If you’re in Wuv, you’re expected to be participating in Wuv. If you’re in the Mists or an sPvP map, you’re expected to be Mists-ing. What is wrong with the assumption on the part of PvE players that other players in the PvE maps are there to, I’unno…do PvE, instead of having to be careful and cautious around every other player they see because they might be a duelist trolling for PvP matches instead of someone who’s there to help, or at least not going to actively get in the way?

You wanna PvP? Go to the PvP zones. You want an actual, official dueling option that isn’t custom arenas? Then ask for dueling zones. I’ll back you there, no hesitation. But open-world dueling?

Here’s my answer on that. Pay close attention this time, and don’t brush me off because I “have to right-click their name and issue a request.”

The PvE zones are for PvE. Keep your kittentrolling PvP crap out of them, please.

Jaxom.7310

The PvE zones are for PvE. Keep your kittentrolling PvP crap out of them, please.

indeed, we wouldn’t want to add any toxic players to bother the very friendly, welcoming players found in pve, that would result in people jumping to conclusions about other players just because they want to add some variety to the open world zones and play in them in a different way

DevilLordLaser.8619

indeed, we wouldn’t want to add any toxic players to bother the very friendly, welcoming players found in pve, that would result in people jumping to conclusions about other players just because they want to add some variety to the open world zones and play in them in a different way

While I understand the condescension, I clearly don’t agree with it. Fool has kinda been asking for guff since he started this thread, what with all the guff he’s thrown at the rest of us, but please do allow me to try again.

The open world PvE zones are for open world PvE. There’s already two quadrants of the game available as designated PvP space – sPvP/the Mists and Wuv. Any player who goes in there for, say…jumping puzzles? Speaking from direct experience here – we’re not allowed to say “oh, we’re just here to complete the LS requirement. Don’t mind us, we won’t get in your way.”

We get attacked. We get killed. We then get laughed at and instructed “if you’re not here to fight, then don’t come to WvW!” Again – this is direct personal experience, not an anecdote I heard from a friend of a friend.

Another piece of direct personal experience is the two instances, back when I was playing Champions Online prior to GW2’s release, where an open-world duelist hounded me endlessly for twenty-odd minutes regardless of what I did. I turned off dueling (or rather I had dueling off to start), he harassed me over whispers. I blocked him, he followed me around and took to disrupting any particular event or quest I was trying to do. I told him in Say to please leave me alone I’m just trying to play, I got “****in duel me already then!”

In both instances I had to log off altogether and switch characters to get the guy to take off. So no, I’m not prepared to state that everyone who wants duels is going to calmly and civilly accept ‘No’ for an answer, because it’s clear that they don’t. Most will – but ‘most’ is not ‘all’, and the threat of those handful of groobs who’re just absolutely intent on adding as many notches to their blade as they can would spoil the days of quite a few PvE players.

Nor would we be able to get away from them, as we can now. As it stands, players not interested in PvP can simply head out into the open world and rest assured that the PvP will stay in its own maps. We have our places, you have yours. But if open-world dueling goes through? Then nowhere in the game is a PvE zone anymore. Nowhere. Anywhere, at any time, some kitten could decide that his new daily objective is to make you his b****, and until you give him what he wants he’s not going to give you any peace. You can’t just go to the PvE zones to get away from him because there are no PvE zones anymore. There’s Wuv, the Mists, and this massive and lushly detailed place that used to be for adventuring with friends or doing cool stuff after a long day’s work but is now basically an oversized dueling pit.

Again, I say this: PvE zones are for PvE. PvP zones are for PvP. If I can’t go into Wuv just to see the place, explore it, do jump puzzles or vistas or world-completion type crap, and throw up some flag or other that says “Just here for the PvE thanks, don’t mind me!” – i.e., if I can’t go into Wuv without being expected to engage in Wuv - then why is it that PvP players feel they’re entitled to go into PvE zones and just start shouting in Say “I’m looking for someone to kill! To hell with whatever you’re doing, get over here and fight me!”

Why should PvP players be allowed to go into PvE zones and then not do PvE, if PvE players can’t go into PvP zones and then not do PvP?

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I hope ArenaNet won’t ever add duels, it’s a waste of resources that could be used to actually improve the game instead.

Jaxom.7310

Why should PvP players be allowed to go into PvE zones and then not do PvE, if PvE players can’t go into PvP zones and then not do PvP?

i don’t think anyone is suggesting they go into pve zones and not pve. its a potential addition to pve. something u can do w/ ur friends or people u meet, that u can’t otherwise do in the current game.

here’s why i like gw2. i think of it at the ‘almost’ every man’s game. people that like arena pvp can go to the mists and do it. people that like realm v realm large scale battles can do to wvw. people that like group events w/ randoms joining in and completing can do that.

do u like exploring? u can do that. are u an achievement junkie? u can do that. dungeons? yep. large raid ‘style’ events? u got the jungle wurm and a few others (prob not enough raid style but, its a start).

but for people who are standing around LA or in a map waiting for vinewrath (or whatever event) to start and just want to screw around w/ their pals and duel, they can’t. there’s no alternative. u can’t so go to a custom arena because 1. not everyone just has custom arena tokens lying around 2. u leave, theress no guarantee u can get back into that shard to play the vinewrath. instead u just have to stand around and do nothing.

look, sorry u had a bad exp in champions online. it happens. people troll around and can bug u now too if they wanted. at least in gw2 u can port out of the map and they can’t just chase u. just because u had a bad exp in another game doesn’t mean it will constantly happen here. it will happen, but trolls are everywhere and will find a way to troll because thats what they do.

u shouldn’t say ‘no one gets to play the game this way because i don’t want to’. the more ways people can play gw2 the better

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

look, sorry u had a bad exp in champions online. it happens. people troll around and can bug u now too if they wanted. at least in gw2 u can port out of the map and they can’t just chase u. just because u had a bad exp in another game doesn’t mean it will constantly happen here. it will happen, but trolls are everywhere and will find a way to troll because thats what they do.

Going to ignore anything TheFool responds to this post, if he does at all.

I am playing GW2, My family is playing GW2 because of the lack of dueling in PVE, most of my almost 500 man guild is the same. We play GW2 because we do not have to deal with that. We have all had bad experiences with it. We do not want it. And if it ever gets added, i know of at least 100 people who will leave, because they do not want to have to deal with duelist trolls of any kind in PVE. Most of us dont do PVP either, or WVW for that matter. Boring to you? maybe, but PVE without having to risk player combat of any kind is why we here.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

DevilLordLaser.8619

Two points in specific.

i don’t think anyone is suggesting they go into pve zones and not pve.

That is exactly and precisely what proponents of dueling are suggesting. They may not phrase it that way, but that’s what they want. They want to be able to go into a PvE zone and engage in PvP rather than doing what the PvE zones were implemented to do. PvE players would like for that to not happen. If you’re in the open world you’re supposed to be there for open-world content and a source of assistance to other players. You’re not supposed to be there to try and stick a sword up their [REDACTED].

u shouldn’t say ‘no one gets to play the game this way because i don’t want to’. the more ways people can play gw2 the better

The fact that trolls will be trolls does not offer an excuse to just do whatever. Yes, trolls will be trolls. It’s still ArenaNet’s job to make a troll’s life as difficult as possible, and the job of both ArenaNet and players to do whatever they can to avoid enabling those yutzes. Dueling is unbelievably easy to abuse or troll with, regardless of controls on it. It would be a huge enabler for trolls, who now have the concrete and attainable endgoal of sticking their swords up your [REDACTED].

Again, I say this: ask for designated dueling areas instead. Nobody has a problem with duelists getting to do their thing in the Bane, or the Queen’s Pavilion, or what-have-you. Heck, integrate PvP rewards into it somewhere somehow, let the duelists earn rewards for being good at their facet of the game! I’m all for it! Heck, I’d even try my hand at a dueling arena, and I’m about as anti-PvP as one can get and still be on the Internet.

But keep it out of the PvE zones. Those are for PvE, and should stay that way.

TheFool.4589

Going to ignore anything TheFool responds to this post, if he does at all.

I am playing GW2, My family is playing GW2 because of the lack of dueling in PVE, most of my almost 500 man guild is the same. We play GW2 because we do not have to deal with that. We have all had bad experiences with it. We do not want it. And if it ever gets added, i know of at least 100 people who will leave, because they do not want to have to deal with duelist trolls of any kind in PVE. Most of us dont do PVP either, or WVW for that matter. Boring to you? maybe, but PVE without having to risk player combat of any kind is why we here.

You are not reading this right at all. There is no player combat in pve.

I think you’re misunderstanding this whole thing as in me wanting a open world PvP in PvE which is not the case at all. What I want is to go up to my friend, click is name, and request to duel him on the spot. I can’t kill him until he agrees to the match. I can’t hurt his chances in PvE. It’s no different then activating costume brawl. The only difference is…surprise im not wearing a costume!

When people do costume brawls are you effected? My guess is no. So…can you see where your points are illogical?

It seems your brushing past everything I said just to attack me and the topic.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Dante.1763

I think you’re misunderstanding this whole thing as in me wanting a open world PvP in PvE which is not the case at all. What I want is to go up to my friend, click is name, and request to duel him on the spot. I can’t kill him until he agrees to the match. I can’t hurt his chances in PvE. It’s no different then activating costume brawl. The only difference is…surprise im not wearing a costume!

When people do costume brawls are you effected?

[/quote]
I guess i was wrong, i will respond since he actually wasnt condescending for once! ;D

I am not mis understanding what you are asking for, i do not agree with it at all and do not ever want it. You might only use it to duel with your friends, but others will not. Others will use it to troll, And trolls will always find a way to troll. Hell they do it enough already.

Again, I say this: ask for designated dueling areas instead. Nobody has a problem with duelists getting to do their thing in the Bane, or the Queen’s Pavilion, or what-have-you. Heck, integrate PvP rewards into it somewhere somehow, let the duelists earn rewards for being good at their facet of the game! I’m all for it! Heck, I’d even try my hand at a dueling arena, and I’m about as anti-PvP as one can get and still be on the Internet.

But keep it out of the PvE zones. Those are for PvE, and should stay that way.

This i can agree with. This would be cool to see. This would be something i would support.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

TheFool.4589

When people do costume brawls are you effected?

I guess i was wrong, i will respond since he actually wasnt condescending for once! ;D

I am not mis understanding what you are asking for, i do not agree with it at all and do not ever want it. You might only use it to duel with your friends, but others will not. Others will use it to troll, And trolls will always find a way to troll. Hell they do it enough already."
[/quote]

But how will these trolls troll you? That’s where this misunderstanding is happening.
You say whispers, they have a block feature for a reason. And if a person is following you around even after that’s called abuse, they have a report for that as well. Trolls will troll regardless. I once got trolled by a guy in WvW who followed me around with a bell all day just hitting one note. I blocked him, and silenced the instrument in the options. All done! He didn’t effect me at all. I just made some adjustments and went about my day.

Saying trolls will effect you more because of dueling is like saying gold spammers will start calling your house. Probably not gonna happen.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

DevilLordLaser.8619

When people do costume brawls are you effected? My guess is no. So…can you see where your points are illogical?

See bolded/underlined portion above. As I’m about to make it as clear to you as I possibly can.

We know that this is what you want. We understand that, loud and clear.

This – the right-clicking your friend and challenging him to a duel request he has to actively accept – is what we don’t want to happen.

For reasons I’ve explained to you FOUR TIMES NOW and which you have ignored. PvE zones are PvE zones are PvE zones ARE PVE ZONES. If you would like to engage in PvP, go to a PvP zone. If you would like a new PvP zone dedicated to one-on-one duels, then ask for that. You’ll likely see a great deal of support for it.

But the ability to right-click a player’s name and challenge him to a duel he has to actively accept? That means that there’s no such thing as a PvE zone anymore, because TheFool.4589 could right-click DevilLordLaser.8619’s name out in the world for no reason and hit “Duel This Player?”

Does it affect me directly, on a single instance-by-instance basis, when you challenge your friend to a faceplant contest? No. Does it break the entirety of PvE by rendering the entire concept of a “PvE zone” false and ensuring that PvE players can never trust any other player in what was once a PvE zone to not be out there specifically to kill people rather than help, and thus destroy ArenaNet’s vision of player cooperation and cohesiveness?

Yeah. yeah, that it absolutely does. So stop asking. We know exactly what you’re asking for, we’ve told you I-don’t-know-how-many-times-now why it affects us and why we don’t want it. Come up with a new idea, because this one stinks.

TheFool.4589

See bolded/underlined portion above. As I’m about to make it as clear to you as I possibly can.

We know that this is what you want. We understand that, loud and clear.

This – the right-clicking your friend and challenging him to a duel request he has to actively accept – is what we don’t want to happen.

For reasons I’ve explained to you FOUR TIMES NOW and which you have ignored. PvE zones are PvE zones are PvE zones ARE PVE ZONES. If you would like to engage in PvP, go to a PvP zone. If you would like a new PvP zone dedicated to one-on-one duels, then ask for that. You’ll likely see a great deal of support for it.

But the ability to right-click a player’s name and challenge him to a duel he has to actively accept? That means that there’s no such thing as a PvE zone anymore, because TheFool.4589 could right-click DevilLordLaser.8619’s name out in the world for no reason and hit “Duel This Player?”

Does it affect me directly, on a single instance-by-instance basis, when you challenge your friend to a faceplant contest? No. Does it break the entirety of PvE by rendering the entire concept of a “PvE zone” false and ensuring that PvE players can never trust any other player in what was once a PvE zone to not be out there specifically to kill people rather than help, and thus destroy ArenaNet’s vision of player cooperation and cohesiveness?

Yeah. yeah, that it absolutely does. So stop asking. We know exactly what you’re asking for, we’ve told you I-don’t-know-how-many-times-now why it affects us and why we don’t want it. Come up with a new idea, because this one stinks.

“PvE players can never trust any other player in what once was of PvE zone to not be out there specifically to kill people…”

Uh what?

How can people kill other people in a PvE? If a mob of players went to Kessex hills to costume brawl, would this effect you or the PvE map?

The answer is no. The only difference is instead of wearing costumes, you are using normal pvp means to fight. People are free to do as they wish where they wish. Nobody can randomly gank you. No ones gonna spam duel invites, if they do, that’s why they would add a block duel invite button. Other wise that persons just a regular troll and should be dealt as such.

Bottom line is, it’s just a small addition. Like costume brawl, no different. No ones gonna spawn camp you, no ones gonna keep you from fighting world bosses, no ones going to camp nodes and kill you when you chop a tree, why? Cause they can’t.

This is not open world pvp, this is a option to face another at both persons acceptance in PvE. Rounds end and you carry on like before.

In game example.
A buddy and I are waiting for a world boss to start, he challenges me to a duel. I accept. We start fighting, he’s goes down. The round ends. Everything goes back to normal. The people around us are not effected at all. They just get to watch.
How is that bad?

(edited by TheFool.4589)

Jaxom.7310

at this point we may as well let this thread end. its basically the same 5 or so of us repeating ourselves.

like far wing politics, we’ve all explained ourselves, we all disagree, and we (apparently) aren’t changing our opinions.

if the idea was to state, yes i’m in favor and no i’m not to the suggestion, i think we’ve all done so now.

Dante.1763

at this point we may as well let this thread end. its basically the same 5 or so of us repeating ourselves.

like far wing politics, we’ve all explained ourselves, we all disagree, and we (apparently) aren’t changing our opinions.

if the idea was to state, yes i’m in favor and no i’m not to the suggestion, i think we’ve all done so now.

Pretty much this. This is how all these threads(And there are alot) end. The last one ended slightly different with quite a few players agreeing on the dueling zones though, on both sides of the fence, as a compromise.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I love guys like you in these forums. You prove my point over and over again.

You refuse to take no for an answer, which is exactly why we want nothing to do with open world dueling.

Thanks again, and have a nice day.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

You refuse to take no for an answer, which is exactly why we want nothing to do with open world dueling.

I heard this argument twice now and I just had to post about it!

You go to a thread about dueling giving arguments for in the OP, give your arguments why it is a bad idea/see someone has already given the arguments and then the defendants of the original idea come with counter arguments to those points.

Instead of coming up with more counters to actually help the discussion, you post that the duelist who are continuing the discussion are the trolls that will hound you ingame not taking no for an answer.

What is happening now isn’t comparable, if you wanted compare it to a dueling situation, what you are doing is accepting the duel request, making a retort and running away before the fight actually starts just to troll the player. But to be fair, this topic has been chewed out, so I don’t really think there is much more to add.

On topic: Pve/wvw duels would be interesting imo, if imbalanced and potentially trolly. A duel arena might be a nice work around, but I kinda just want to fight in beautiful scenery with a group of friends only. I’m pretty neutral if it is added or not at this point, but I would use it if it did come out.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Idea: what if there were an item, that when bought, enables your account/character for dueling? expensive enough so people who want to avoid it wouldn’t buy it just for the sake of it, but cheap enough that it isn’t a huge gold-sink. perhaps a one-time investment of 20-50g.

It could also possibly have some sort of marker above your name, similar to the map completion marker, that shows you have also bought this item and are able to duel. If needed, it could only be visible to other people who also have bought this item and used it.

Now, with this, it would prevent most types of “duel spamming”, since if you don’t want to duel, you just don’t buy the item. sure, someone “could” annoy you trying to get you to buy it, but I feel it would barely increase the amount of duel requests we currently get, if at all (and yes, i have had someone request to duel me in sPvP, albeit he/she did it very politely, and we were friends at that point) I feel if it had a large enough gold/time cost allotted to it, then those “duel-rage induced crazy people!” will realize that their efforts to get non-duelers to duel are going no-where.

If also required, this could be limited to only certain zones, maybe. perhaps when starting a duel, a decent-sized ring appears(maybe only visible to players who have enabled it), and if there is another player in it (perhaps only players without this item) you cannot initiate the duel. and once a duel starts, perhaps those players could be “removed” from the upscaling algorithm (or maybe can’t attack/be attacked by mobs at all, if this is abusable)

With the megaserver, there could also be a preference to toss “duelers” into instances with other duelers, and non-duelers in with other non-duelers (I know, megaserver sucks, etc. etc. It would be a small improvement though.)

P.s.

“We get attacked. We get killed. We then get laughed at and instructed “if you’re not here to fight, then don’t come to WvW!” Again – this is direct personal experience, not an anecdote I heard from a friend of a friend.”

you’re basically justifying “if you’re not here to fight, then don’t come to WvW!”, by saying “if you’re not here to fight npcs, then don’t come to PvE!” Jussayin’.

P.P.S

As a reminder, I’m posting as someone who would rarely, if ever, use open world dueling. I’m not exactly even in support of this suggestion. I just don’t see why people are so against it (or well, I find the reasons unfounded)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Idea: what if there were an item, that when bought, enables your account/character for dueling? expensive enough so people who want to avoid it wouldn’t buy it just for the sake of it, but cheap enough that it isn’t a huge gold-sink. perhaps a one-time investment of 20-50g.

I’d start the bidding at 2000 gems. Let the open-world set support the game and put their money where their mouths are. Or make it one of those rare drops from a Black Lion chest that inevitably sell for 1000+ gold, like hair style kits.

Or 150 gems for a 1-day duel flag that can only be used in approved areas, like the Bane or other spots in zones.

…sigh.

Anyway, rant off. I’m not 100% against dueling. I see a place for it, but not as open-range as WoW. The world boss queue is cluttered enough with 70 people waiting for them to show up, I don’t need the added clusterkitten that will result when idjits are jumping around in circles spamming duel requests. If someone just has to have that need to do something to do during that wait, toy up and costume brawl or Alt-Tab and read reddit.

But, it would add some flavor to some of the zones to have dueling arenas. Heck, squeeze in one in every zone and give it a waypoint. Put up a queue and charge a few silver per duel. Just keep them out of the way of events so they won’t scale up, and drastically limit emote range.

Or, another idea, since it’s PvP, why not have dueling sections in the Mists in the actual PvP zone? Want PvP, go to PvP, but there should be a place in that zone to allow free duels so people can faff about or test their builds without diving into committed arena matches.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

DevilLordLaser.8619

P.s.

“We get attacked. We get killed. We then get laughed at and instructed “if you’re not here to fight, then don’t come to WvW!” Again – this is direct personal experience, not an anecdote I heard from a friend of a friend.”

you’re basically justifying “if you’re not here to fight, then don’t come to WvW!”, by saying “if you’re not here to fight npcs, then don’t come to PvE!” Jussayin’.

Just to clarify: that’s kinda exactly my point. Every time I’ve ever seen Wuv players discuss the issue (as opposed to the PvE-centric Wuv sideliners in my guild), the answer is overwhelmingly “we don’t want PvE scrubs in WvW. If you’re in WvW, you’re supposed to be fighting. Don’t come in here just to do jumping puzzles or find that stupid kite or explore around and smell the pretty flowers or whatever. If you’re in WvW, taking up one of our slots, you’d better be here to flip keeps. If you’re not, then get the hell out and let someone who is have your slot.”

That’s considered the normal and expected opinion in Wuv. If that’s perfectly okay, and is the accepted stance with no problems in it, and any Wuv player will say that’s exactly how it should be why would it be any different?…then why is it also okay for the PvP players to demand the option to do PvP in the PvE zones?

We’re in the open world zones to do open world content. If you’re not here to do open world content, then why should you get preferential treatment and be allowed to do your open-world PvP when the forum consensus is that I’m the bad guy when I’m trying to go and do PvE-ish stuff in Wuv? Why was it totally okay for Wuv guys to say “If you’re not here to WvW then get out” when PvE players had to go in there for a Zephyrite kite but only ended up getting preyed upon by jerks?

Why is it that we get crap for not wanting to PvP in PvP zones, and also get crap for not wanting to PvP in the PvE zones?

That’s the question I keep asking duelists, and the question none of them are willing to answer so far.

Jaxom.7310

Why is it that we get crap for not wanting to PvP in PvP zones, and also get crap for not wanting to PvP in the PvE zones?

That’s the question I keep asking duelists, and the question none of them are willing to answer so far.

thought we agreed to disagree already.

anyways, pvp zones core concept is pvp. when someone on the other side sees you, they will find u and kill u. u technically can run around and check out the sights, but if u get found u will have to pvp. u can take a group with you, and then you’ll be safer.

in the pve zones, many of us are still wanting to pve. i’m there doing the world boss. when i’m standing there waiting for it to spawn tho, i want to pvp w/ my guildie. there’s no way i can do this. if we go to a custom arena, we could lose our spot in that shard to fight the world boss, not to mention the gear differences.

hope that answers u

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

thought we agreed to disagree already.

anyways, pvp zones core concept is pvp. when someone on the other side sees you, they will find u and kill u. u technically can run around and check out the sights, but if u get found u will have to pvp. u can take a group with you, and then you’ll be safer.

in the pve zones, many of us are still wanting to pve. i’m there doing the world boss. when i’m standing there waiting for it to spawn tho, i want to pvp w/ my guildie. there’s no way i can do this. if we go to a custom arena, we could lose our spot in that shard to fight the world boss, not to mention the gear differences.

hope that answers u

So, basically, you want to have access to your preferred gamemode in all parts of the game, while denying the same to pve players.
And then you are surprised when PvE players disagree.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

TheFool.4589

Ok, this is being taken way out of context. Everyone here thinks I want PvE to be a place where I can randomly gank like in WvW. Again, for the 5-6 th time, that’s not the case kitten . You guys really really need to learn how to read before you go posting about cause you’re twisting the idea.

No one has answered me at all when I asked twice, how a costume brawl in keesex hills would effect them. That’s ALL this duel option idea is. It’s costume brawl without the costumes guys. Nothing more, nothing less. It won’t effect you at all. None. Trolls and all.

You have a right to say no, but what’s making me so mad when you say it is because you literally say “I don’t want to deal with it.”

There was literally only one person on here that gave a legit reason why they did not want to see in implanted. (Waste if devs time) though I disagree, I respect this persons answer as opposed to the wah wah ones.

You guys are taking this way the opposite way like I’m asking for anarchy. I’m asking for a simple option that allows a simple mechanic. That’s it. Again actually read the post.

Telling me that you will be effected cause of spammers and trolls is a ridiculous answer seeing how it would be no different then today without the option.

Again. Read the post again before you even think about replying. Majority of you have the wrong idea even when I cleared it up numerous times.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I can only say “Go to hell” so many times.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

reads post above his

Seems I have proven your point. I’m so sick of hearing this crap I’m not even interested in entertaining the discussion any more.

Here’s the deal. Unintended consequences. This game has had way too many ‘good things’ backfire. Champ bags is the prime example. I’m not opening up the ONE GODkitten kittenING PLACE I go to for relaxation to even the possibility of it getting overrun by griefers. They will find a way. It always happens. An exploit WILL be found, and it WILL get run into the ground.

Posted by: Moderator.1056

Moderator.1056

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.