Congrats! The 1st time in the GW Franchise

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: dertingel.1730

dertingel.1730

… one specific tier of gear, in this case the top tier, is gated behind one specific content, namely Raids.

After 10years we went from “endgame is what you make out of it”, something a huge chunk of the community was very proud of, cause it was nearly a unique feature in MMO´s, to “endgame is Raids”.

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

yayyy?
no…wait…no yayyy

dertingel.1730

Yay…or not…everybody decides for himself.
Most GW1 Vets and GW2 since Beta players i know, are more like…no yayyy!

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

I wished I could do the raid, but Anet absolutely shafted new players. I refuse to farm everyday for months just to be able to craft ascended gear. Not opening my wallet either.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

It’s not the first time. There was a time when ascended rings could only be found in fractals. That was amended later.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think glorious hero armor needs to be legendary status since it’s much harder than the raid gear to obtain. If not that then at least for staying in legendary tier for a certain number of matches. Hard? Yes, but legendary armor is supposed to be. Also for certain WvW achievements of equivalent difficulty. Legendary tier looks impossible though, and it frankly should be for the very best. With the way MMR works however it’d be unrealistic trying to attempt it since even top tier players have 80% win rates, which is much smaller vs. those of a similar tier (world class teams don’t just play each other) so against other world class teams their win rate would be 50%.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have….words….for how I feel about the raids and legendary gear thing. Using them will get me temp banned, at the very least. So I shall refrain.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

yayyy?
no…wait…no yayyy

This made me laugh in a sad kinda way. lol

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

dertingel.1730

It’s not the first time. There was a time when ascended rings could only be found in fractals. That was amended later.

Holy kitten…i am not sure, i would have to search the wiki history. But i guess you are right.
Shame on me…

€: I think i know why i cant remember exactly. Fractals where much more accessible.
But yeah…slowly i remember the kittenstorm.
Thank you for bringing this back to my mind!

€²: So please everybody stop opening the champagne…Manasa Devi busted this party
I was to late with this thread.

(edited by dertingel.1730)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Legendary gear has the same stats as ascended gear. /thread

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Meh, if it were more powerful than ascended there might be an issue, but as it is, not too big a deal, similar to how you had to do WvW and crafting to make your own legendary weapon.
I’ll also assume anet will be releasing more in time, if you don’t want to do raids, don’t sweat it, unless the armor is that amazing looking.

Swagger.1459

… one specific tier of gear, in this case the top tier, is gated behind one specific content, namely Raids.

After 10years we went from “endgame is what you make out of it”, something a huge chunk of the community was very proud of, cause it was nearly a unique feature in MMO´s, to “endgame is Raids”.

Do you think it’s possible that the raid “experiment” here is the tier one precursor design for the legendary Raid Wars 3?

dertingel.1730

I can switch stats now for free on my ascended armor?
Haven´t read it in the patch notes…but this is an awesome news!

Swagger.1459

/rethread… You seem to forget about Fashion Wars my friend… /thread

Edit- Oh yeah dertingle, I forgot about Stat Swapping Wars too /forrealthistimethread

(edited by Swagger.1459)

dertingel.1730

Meh, if it were more powerful than ascended there might be an issue, but as it is, not too big a deal, similar to how you had to do WvW and crafting to make your own legendary weapon.
I’ll also assume anet will be releasing more in time, if you don’t want to do raids, don’t sweat it, unless the armor is that amazing looking.

Legendary armor is more powerful than ascended…you can switch stats everytime you want. This is the top armor tier, not ascended.

And no, its not the same with the wvw part from the legendary weapon crafting process. You can get those batches with AP, or simple do the pve part in WvW…or play pve on the edge of the mists.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

That was an epic smack down worthy of the WWF! News Flash just in straws are not just for breaking the camel’s back but also for grasping at!
GWoW2 confirmed.
There is nothing right about this gear only being available in one type of content, nothing right at all!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Vayne.8563

I said it’s the same stats. It’s cheap enough to convert ascended armor now. We’ve had the same stuff since launch. Ascended weapons are beyond a lot of very casual players (apparently), but low and behold, they have the same stats.

Since you can now easily and relatively cheaply switch stats on ascended gear anyway, yeah, no big deal.

Vayne.8563

Edit- Oh yeah dertingle, I forgot about Stat Swapping Wars too /forrealthistimethread

There have always been items in this game locked behind a certain specific content. There were plenty of PvE items, including legendary weapons, and if a PvPer wanted them they had to PvE.

There are armor sets and mins you can only get from PvP.

Fractal weapon skins are only available from Fractals. Don’t play Fractals don’t get the skins. There’s plenty of precedent for this in the game already that’s been around for years.

Hard to try to sell me now on you can’t have a skin locked behind content.

Hell, if you live in Australia and your connection wasn’t good enough to do Liadri, you can’t get the Liadri mini.

When they give me that mini another way, you might have a point about fashion wars. But they haven’t, and you don’t.

Swagger.1459

I said it’s the same stats. It’s cheap enough to convert ascended armor now. We’ve had the same stuff since launch. Ascended weapons are beyond a lot of very casual players (apparently), but low and behold, they have the same stats.

Since you can now easily and relatively cheaply switch stats on ascended gear anyway, yeah, no big deal.

Yet, it’s still THE end game gear…

Redfeather.6401

My main still wears lvl 78 exotic armour. XD

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Then do the end game content xD

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Swagger.1459

There have always been items in this game locked behind a certain specific content. There were plenty of PvE items, including legendary weapons, and if a PvPer wanted them they had to PvE.

There are armor sets and mins you can only get from PvP.

Fractal weapon skins are only available from Fractals. Don’t play Fractals don’t get the skins. There’s plenty of precedent for this in the game already that’s been around for years.

Hard to try to sell me now on you can’t have a skin locked behind content.

Hell, if you live in Australia and your connection wasn’t good enough to do Liadri, you can’t get the Liadri mini.

When they give me that mini another way, you might have a point about fashion wars. But they haven’t, and you don’t.

I don’t think we care what other things are locked behind where and why. We are taking about not liking this locked behind that.

Swagger.1459

Oh you, you crafty person you!

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Oh you, you crafty person you!

Tee-hee…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

And?? Legendary weapons too, and they aren’t gated behind raids.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Locking the best in slot armor behind raids will be a game breaker for the large % of players who will never have a chance at it.Some claim it offers no advantage but the fact is its legendary and want always outweighs need.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Don’t Legendary items have the same stats as Ascended or did something change that I missed? If they are the same, nothing is locked behind raids but skins.

eldrin.6471

you cant change stats on skins and they are not purple.

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

Legendary is the top gear plain and simple.
-Looks- I mean this is fashion wars 2 right?
-Stat changing yes you can argue that 5 sets of normal armor is the same as this one stat wise but, doesn’t that mean normal armor is only 1/5 as good?
-Guaranteed to stay top gear
With the rate things are going I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a new tier in between ascended and legendary. And with that just bumped up legendary stats and make ascended 2nd best. (if you doubt this then look at what happened the old top tier of exotics)

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Legendary equipment is certainly shiny and can change stats on the fly but that is just a matter of aesthetics and convenience. Every single player in the game can still craft the highest stat values gear can have without running a single second of any raid. Top tier (in terms of what really matters: Stats) is not gated behind raids. I myself am a player who will probably never be able to participate in raids and I have no problem with this.

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Couple important things you are overlooking:

First, we don’t know how awesome this set will look, I mean, remember the twig armor set elementalists got in GW1? And I personally enjoy mix/matching skins to get my ideal looks. Hell, the pant skin my Mesmer uses is like 5s…..

Second, most importantly, stat change is nice, but what about the rune set? Are you gonna swap from zerk to support with strength runes? I mean, it probably wouldn’t matter much, but still….
Might actually matter a bit more if you swapped from zerk to sinister, using a power based rune set.

And how many people actually change the stats on the legendary weaps? I’m pretty sure most people leave it as one stat lol. Some of my guildies completely forget they can swap stats.

dertingel.1730

I am sorry for this thread…this wasn´t supposed to be a rant and discuss thread.

I just wanted to point out my feeling, that ANet forgets where the strength of GW2 is and the GW franchise was.
The possibility of “making your own endgame” was the reason, why me and many other players i know spent year after year playing GW1 and then GW2.

Now, in reference to Swagger, ANet delivers an Addon, designed for a completely different playerbase.
I know that new players mostly spend more money for gems then vets do…i havent bought gems for over 1 year, i just change gold to gems ( but the HoT ultimate Edition…ANet take my money) so acquiring new players is very important for a 3 year old game.
That wouldnt be a problem, but the amount of HoT content is very small. We have 4 new maps, a little bit of story, and one raid wing. Old content was nerfed, and to be true, after 10 month without new content, i am done with Fractals, Dungeons, Silverwaste, Dry Top, World Bosses…
New Fractal rewards is not new content…
I am about to finish nevermore…just xp missing and some leyline sparks.
I just have the feeling, i have finished HoT…just a month after release.

€: I change the stats on my legendary weapons very often.
Runes and sigils dont matter…there are not that many expensive runes or sigills. I already have all of them on different ascended/legendary weapons and ascended armors.
I want to play with my builds, change everytime i feel i wanna play something else. Spending 1gold for a runeset is not a barrier. But Bag and Bank and Charslot space is a barrier.

eldrin.6471

Ye and what happened to that pre hot promise that if you had best in slot now you would always have it.Once the select few have there legendary armor ascended just becomes the new exotic and is no longer best in slot.Im sure they will come up with some explanation and change there definition of best in slot.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

And how many people actually change the stats on the legendary weaps? I’m pretty sure most people leave it as one stat lol. Some of my guildies completely forget they can swap stats.

I swap mine often, but I’m doing wvw solo/small group roaming alot and I enjoy having different builds. It’s funny that the only place on this game that could make a good use of legendary stats swaping is the only game mode where it’s impossible to get said legendary.
In the other hand, the 5% of the population who raid and use the zerker/viper meta will finaly have the option to swap between errrr… zerker and viper !

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Yay…or not…everybody decides for himself.
Most GW1 Vets and GW2 since Beta players i know, are more like…no yayyy!

that’s because communities are often more comprised of like minded indviduals. Most GW1 vets and GW2 since beta players I know are more like…yayyy!

Mechanically, legendary gear is no better than ascended gear. You may consider legendary gear to be more convenient, but gameplay wise, it offers 0 advantage to already available items. If you feel that changing stats on the go is advantageous, I suggest you make multiple armor sets.

dertingel.1730

If you feel that changing stats on the go is advantageous, I suggest you make multiple armor sets.

I have 15different armor sets for my thief…mystic forged 4-5 sets lately, because of limited bag and bank slots ( i have all maxed out, before you may ask)
For my first twink, necro, i have 10 different sets…mystic forged some lately as well.
For all my other twinks ( every class at least one lvl 80) i have at least a power, condi and a toughnes set…mostly they have 1-3 other sets as well.

€: Thats only the armor part…its a big mess of not enough bag slots possible.

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

I will guarantee that this will not last. It happens for a time. This stuff is gated behind hard content. This pleases the hardcore players. They get to feel better. They get to have exclusive stuff. Then down the road a change will be made. The raid will get nerfed. Or the gear will be available in other ways. The content will now be accessible to the masses. This will please the masses, while the elite players can look down and say “I got mine when it was a challenge”.

This is not the first MMO I have played and I have seen this cycle repeated in other MMO’s

dertingel.1730

I will guarantee that this will not last. It happens for a time. This stuff is gated behind hard content. This pleases the hardcore players. They get to feel better. They get to have exclusive stuff. Then down the road a change will be made. The raid will get nerfed. Or the gear will be available in other ways. The content will now be accessible to the masses. This will please the masses, while the elite players can look down and say “I got mine when it was a challenge”.

This is not the first MMO I have played and I have seen this cycle repeated in other MMO’s

I know…i expect an armor precursor hunt or sth like that in the future as well.
But i didn´t expect that this could happen with the GW franchise. I expected it in every other MMO, but not in this game. And while reading the forums, it seems i am not the only one.
And like i said, this wouldn´t be a problem, but due to the lack of content after 10 month of nothing new, we have all those negative feelings here.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Want difficult content? Do raids in Green gear. ArenaNet could offer better rewards for groups completing the raid in green gear or blue gear.

I still think there should be automatic raid gear like the automatic stats in PvP. That way everyone can technically raid with no gear checks done by the community. Hide groups from seeing AP. If the community is going to gate raids, the least ArenaNet could do is make raids accessible to everyone.

Too many gates in HoT for everything. It’s super gross.

Gating, gating, gating, all winter lonk. gating, gating, gating. Makes your raid game stronk.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

^This precisely. Legendary armor is NOT a new gear tier. I don’t know why people still can’t wrap their head around this.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

^This precisely. Legendary armor is NOT a new gear tier. I don’t know why people still can’t wrap their head around this.

It allows the stats to be swapped which technically makes it new in that sense. There is a distinct advantage to this set and it is only available in one path of content which is not the way this game has been marketed. I’m sorry but it is the wrong path to take and the line between this game and every other MMO is now thinner than ever, simple as that.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Well there are two schools of thought here.

1) It has the same stats as ascended so therefore I have the best with ascended so I don’t need legendary so long as I never change my build.

2) I know this content needs condi and all I have is this set of zerger, good thing it is legendary. Fast forward 2 minutes, “OK guys all set”.

As for not being a higher tier, there is absolutely no argument that one offers a ton of leeway in what you can do with it and the other gives nothing more than the stats you choose upon creation. You can change the stats on your ascended with a mystic toilet recipe now, but that again requires inscriptions, shards and ectos to do and is therefore not as convenient.

I am of the belief that if you have legendary you are in a much better position than the guy that has only ascended so therefore I consider it a new tier.

dertingel.1730

1) It has the same stats as ascended so therefore I have the best with ascended so I don’t need legendary so long as I never change my build.

2) I know this content needs condi and all I have is this set of zerger, good thing it is legendary. Fast forward 2 minutes, “OK guys all set”.

As for not being a higher tier, there is absolutely no argument that one offers a ton of leeway in what you can do with it and the other gives nothing more than the stats you choose upon creation. You can change the stats on your ascended with a mystic toilet recipe now, but that again requires inscriptions, shards and ectos to do and is therefore not as convenient.

I am of the belief that if you have legendary you are in a much better position than the guy that has only ascended so therefore I consider it a new tier.

At least, as a vetaran, i would save a lot of bag and bank slot with legendary armor.
Dont nail me on that number, but after some small calculations, i would save round about 150 bank/bag slots…i guess i would save many more, but i dont want to exaggerate.

I wouldnt care…ANet take my money…i´ll buy 20 more bank tabs. Just make it possible.

Redfeather.6401

I wouldn’t save any bank slots as I have to run with different rune sets for different builds.

Posted by: softblackcarbon.1537

softblackcarbon.1537

Let me edit something for you. Fast forward 2 minutes and 17g and all my stats and runes have been switched but all my scholar runes have been destroyed. I want to go back to zerker, well I better have another set of scholar runes in my bag.
(17g is obviously a made up number. Some rune sets are more/less expensive.)

Honestly, the stat switching isn’t a huge benefit because of the rune situation. I quite literally have never swapped the stats on my legendary weapons, because i’m not paying another 20g whenever I want to swap out sigils (and to whoever said that sigils aren’t that important, that’s insane. You can gain/lose a ton of dps for runing optimal/sub-optimal sigils which is quite important in raids.) My plan is definitely to keep my legendary armor solely on one character and use ascended sets on the rest as switching stats with legendary armor is frankly just not nearly as feasible as people are making it out to be for the content that I want to be doing (raids).

Why don’t we all wait until the 2-3 additional raids (this is speculation, but I’m pretty sure we’re looking at 1 collection per raid with 3-4 collections total) that are needed to complete the precursor armor come out so we can see what state raids are in at that point before we complain about this?

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

After 10 years they became a WoW clone.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

My point stands, if you spend 17 gold (apx) to overwrite your runes, it is still far cheaper than making another full set of ascended.

Another point is that if you want to have a power build with scholar runes as a permanet fixture, you still have more choice over ascended as you can go with assassiins/berserkers/knights etc.ect. with legendary, for when facing tougher/easier content. The guy with ascended is still hooped.

Besides I feel with the amount of complaining going on currently about runes and sigils being destroyed when you switch, ANet will most likely do something about that too.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I said it’s the same stats.

You act like this is in question, it is not. A lot of people perceive stat swapping as valuable, and even more so now that certain roles are required in specific encounters.

It’s cheap enough to convert ascended armor now.

Depending on runes and sigils it can be quite costly (or grindy) without an even more costly upgrade extractor. Regardless, it ranges anywhere from inconvenient to near impossible depending on circumstances. If you want to switch your build mid-raid, for example, you cannot just hop on over to the mystic toilet and get new stats. You have to have two sets of armor on you or a very patient group.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Aw jeez, just use a mystic forge conduit and carry a few stacks of everything you need to change armors with you. Hardly a minor inconvenience.