Could Anet face legal issues?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

I’m no expert on the law, but isn’t customer discrimination against the law in the USA?

Selling goods and not giving the customer what they pay for is against the law.

1.- Old player gets less for the same cash.
2.- New player gets more for the same cash.

This is customer discrimination.

Also for false advertisement:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a50yi/anet_edits_hot_faq_removes_the_mention_of_needing/

(edited by Hitman.5829)

Posted by: mjjd.7069

mjjd.7069

THis is INSANITY. You cant possibly be serious. Or am i just feeding a troll?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Nope. Base game is a “goodwill” offer.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

This is not customer discrimination. They only have one product for sale at the moment and that is the combination core + expansion. Everybody has access to the same product and they are not restricting access for anybody.

If there is any legal trouble (extremely unlikely at all, this seems way out of proportion), then it will not be about this particular item.

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

No. These claims are getting ridiculous now and you’re right, you’re clearly not an expert on law.

How what you stated different then a cable company giving free months of HBO and other premium channels to new customers while existing customers don’t get free HBO. It isn’t and more importantly its not anywhere close to illegal.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

GW2 was being sold for $10. They should have simply kept that difference to make it clear. HoT for $49.99, HoT+GW2 for $59.99. Instead, they made GW2 $0 and simply included it. They wouldn’t want to keep selling GW2 by itself at such a low price due to how damaging it is. After all, a $10 account pays for itself within 2 months.

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

That’s absurd..
No its not illegal or discrimination. cable and phone companies do it all the time. look at ANY promotional prices for a cable tv or internet package they always say “only available for new customers”

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

ib4 infraction u better delete this thread … u know ….

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

So, what you are saying is that selling an item at 2 different prices is not illegal?

There are two items (1 and 2)
Selling item (1+2) to a white guy for $49.99
Selling item 1 to a black guy for $49.99

Please discuss!

That’s not even remotely analogous to what is going on here. Seriously, what the hell?

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

It would only be a problem if both parties were barred from buying the other product.

Can someone who owns gw2 buy the expansion and get the same rewards? Yes
Can someone who doens’t own gw2 buy the game, then go and buy the expac and get the same thing? Yes
And all the other combinations

It feels silly to respond to this, since it is crazy, but no this is not anything illegal.

sevenDEADLY.5281

Lol, I love how you think “new customer” and “old customer” are suddenly races and you think this is racism. While at the same time you completely ignored the point about cable companies and phone companies giving new customers bonuses all the time because it didn’t help your point.

Whats the weather like in that fantasy world you’ve managed to convince yourself is real?

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

Lol, I love how you think “new customer” and “old customer” are suddenly races and you think this is racism. While at the same time you completely ignored the point about cable companies and phone companies giving new customers bonuses all the time because it didn’t help your point.

Whats the weather like in that fantasy world you’ve managed to convince yourself is real?

Discrimination yes, racism no. Get your words straight!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am positive ArenaNet will face no legal actions, but OP may face another kind of action.

Good luck.

sevenDEADLY.5281

Again, you just completely ignored modern day facts about telecom companies. How long are you gonna pretend like you have ANY ground whatsoever to stand on here?

Also, you just compared this to making black and white people pay different prices, which is an issue of dun dun dunnnnn… racism!!!!! Shocker.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMO the only problem Anet could see is possible accusations of false advertising. I don’t know the legal context involved al all, but somehow I doubt there will be any real legal issue, unless some group of customers gets angry enough to organize and invest money to support their claims. Aside from that, the only major damage is going to be Anet credibility.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

There are not 2 products and they are not at different prices for different customers. OP is mistaken about both points.

I’m not saying it doesn’t suck that a new player essentially gets the original GW2 for free, but that’s how this thing is being marketed.

Changing an FAQ about a product before its released is NOT false advertising…..again, not defending what I consider a disappointing action by Anet, but nothing illegal is going on here.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

This is ridiculous lol. I have never seen a company so penalized for allowing new players teh core pack for free with the expansion. It is hilarious to me that if they charged new players seperately, people couldnt complain.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Not at all. Think about it this way:

Could Anet face legal issues for selling the game to new players for $10 a piece during those 2 sale weekends?

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele