Could Engi get Break Bar?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Some reason when I think of a class getting Breakbar, I think of Ironman’s shields…

And Engineer is the closes to Ironman.

But now the window of opportunity is getting smaller and smaller, and few classes left to be revealed.

what you think the likeliness of Engineer getting the Breakbar is?

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Considering that the Warrior class is ANets baby, they will get it.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

You could make a reasonable guess at an explanation for several classes, mechanically/thematically:

Tempest: Given a sword, it sounds like someone that will wade into battle. Since eles are very squishy, the bar could make sense.
Thief: If thieves get a rifle, some sort of bracing for a good shot.
Engineer: Similar to what you said.
Warrior: Pretty self-explanatory.

Ranger seems most dubious as a druid. Not sure where that would come in. I hope warriors don’t get the bar, personally, because they don’t need to be more faceroll-y.

I honestly expected necro to get the bar when they described the attacks as slow and hard-hitting.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

We’ve seen three specs revealed and have six to go, so we’re not yet down to a “few.” Though if one really wants a break bar, one might have a reasonable complaint if Revenant got it on top of all the other new shinies.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I was expecting either necromancer or warrior to get it.. so yea I vote warrior.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i dont see theif or ranger getting it, but everyone else? could be.

i would lead toward ele or warrior though

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I kind of think that the thief will get the break bar as a “Saboteur”, because its one of the biggest weaknesses so far of the thief, having nearly no stabilit,y so I thing a Saboteur’s break bar among the initiatitive systme as an upgrade of the initiative system would make perfect sense here …

Engis with break bar, all their turrets ect. would be way too OP

If not thief, then I vote also for warrior as more sturdy Legionnaires.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

I will be sad if warriors get it, they already have a huge amount of CC negating abilities and besides, they are far to obvious a choice. With the way specs have been going I would say anyone could get it.

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

You could make a reasonable guess at an explanation for several classes, mechanically/thematically:

Tempest: Given a sword, it sounds like someone that will wade into battle. Since eles are very squishy, the bar could make sense.
Thief: If thieves get a rifle, some sort of bracing for a good shot.
Engineer: Similar to what you said.
Warrior: Pretty self-explanatory.

Ranger seems most dubious as a druid. Not sure where that would come in. I hope warriors don’t get the bar, personally, because they don’t need to be more faceroll-y.

I honestly expected necro to get the bar when they described the attacks as slow and hard-hitting.

While the Breakbar was said to be part of a Grandmaster trait, a lot of people are asking for Druids to transform. Druid obtaining a break bar while transformed if they trait for it could be a thing. Though I personally don’t like the idea, as it’s not very evocative of the guildwars druids (transforming requires a form, something the Druids lack).

Mechanically speaking, the point of a break bar is to defend against control effects. Giving to a warrior “because they is tank”, just sounds dull and lacks any real impact. Giving it to a Tempest, if intended to be a squishy hard to pin down melee fighter would make the tempest interesting as it means they won’t die if clipped by a Static Shield. But a coordinated attack could take them down, unlike a tank with a break bar. Control effects are inherently less powerful on characters that are difficult to burst down.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

(edited by HotHit.6783)

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

Yeah, while it initially makes sense on a warrior, I don’t think they’ll get the break bar because it makes too much sense. The specializations are about changing up the classes playstyle, a breakbar doesn’t change warrior much, it just improves the strengths they already have.

HotHit made a breakbar on the Tempest sound potentially very interesting. They’ll still be squishy to sheer power-damage, but they’ll still be an unstoppable force that’s hard to CC, which falls right in line with the name. If a break bar equipped tempest is charging at you, there is no turning it around, you just have to “weather the storm” and face them head-on.

And Engie getting one could work out. They’ll already have 5 f-skills, so unless their new class mechanic replaces the tool belt, a new mechanic that is more passive like the break bar is possible as an addition. Engies are also pretty weak to getting CCed and interrupted which is a problem for melee hammer, but the new trait rework is already giving engies a pulsing stability trait, that would also synergize well with the hammer if juggernaut is no longer tied to the flamethrower.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Mmm not war because it’s not a weakness,no to the thief that would require consecutive incoming hits completely against theme,no to engi while Juggernaut is FT exclusive cc and blocks were the make up for the weakness, ele probably because sword is definitely not going to be copy and paste of d/d and utilities not a copy and paste of cantrips.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I will be sad if warriors get it, they already have a huge amount of CC negating abilities and besides, they are far to obvious a choice. With the way specs have been going I would say anyone could get it.

Pretty much this. If it goes to warriors, I might literally cry.