Crash results in a new map instance...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Luvok.5697

Luvok.5697

I’ve read that if you’re disconnected/crashed the game is supposed to hold your spot on the map for a bit. Unfortunately, HoT has been crashing for me a lot and when I reconnect I’ve ALWAYS been dumped on a new map with no one there.

Is this a bug or working as intended? It’s frustrating to work for an event and get booted out before it completes.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I had no idea they’d even changed this. Since release, anytime i get kicked out, i’ve gotten a new instance.
It’s stupid and very frustrating.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Unless something has changed in the last week, GW2 has never done that. It was always dumps you into a lower population map if you were in a full/high one

Posted by: Luvok.5697

Luvok.5697

Unless something has changed in the last week, GW2 has never done that. It was always dumps you into a lower population map if you were in a full/high one

I did some googling and this was just posted on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3q71d0/crashing_loses_all_participation_progress_please/cwctc1k?context=3

“As long as you go back to the same instance of the same map, there is a long grace period you can return already built in. Mega servers attempt to save your slot as well so if you disconnect you can return in a reasonable window.
We don’t let you keep participation in other instances of the same map to prevent stuff like map hop farming with top participation.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Aha right. Sounds like something new implemented which is not working.

Good that they are trying to put that in

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3q71d0/crashing_loses_all_participation_progress_please/cwctc1k?context=3

“As long as you go back to the same instance of the same map, there is a long grace period you can return already built in. Mega servers attempt to save your slot as well so if you disconnect you can return in a reasonable window.
We don’t let you keep participation in other instances of the same map to prevent stuff like map hop farming with top participation.”

Okay, cool, so they just need to fix the system, not put an entirely new one in place.

I had noticed that i kept participation if i briefly hopped into pvp lobby to use bank or etc. At least i know now that will only work if i can get back into the same map.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

The game probably always tries to put you back into the map you left. The problem is that if is it an organized map, the map is going to be full. Therefore it can’t put you into a full map so it dumps you elsewhere. The fatal flaw is the fact that the game does not reserve your spot for any length of time after you’re forced out of a map. That spot goes to the next person trying to squeeze into the map.

Solution: Get little computer shaped voodoo dolls and poke with needles until you get someone else to crash so that you can rejoin the map you were in.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

That grace period to rejoin that map should include holding your spot for 1 or 2 minutes. If they did that, it would get rid of most of the gripes about the high number of crashes going on in maps like Dragon’s Stand.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

There is a quote from Colin where he states the game is designed to save your spot in the map for a short time if you crash. It is not working 100%, however, or maybe not at all for Full/Capped Maps.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

It must not be working at all. I can close the crashed game, relaunch it, log in, select my character and load into the map in about 10-15 seconds. If the previous map I was in is full, I’m always dumped in an empty map.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

finally got the legendary vinethingy fight which drops the item you need for Glints shield…..fighting boss, going well,…>Crashes.

Load back into new map.

kittened off.

Why does the game not remember your map for say 10mins after you leave so that if the game crashes (which it never used to do before the expansion), you dont lose map progress or boss fights.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

There is a quote from Colin where he states the game is designed to save your spot in the map for a short time if you crash. It is not working 100%, however, or maybe not at all for Full/Capped Maps.

its not working at all it seams.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Okay, cool, so they just need to fix the system, not put an entirely new one in place.

I had noticed that i kept participation if i briefly hopped into pvp lobby to use bank or etc. At least i know now that will only work if i can get back into the same map.

This is blatantly false.

I’ve had many crashes or disconnects so far, horribly frustrating and it makes Dragon’s Stand-chain virtually impossible to do. This morning it looked like i might finally get it done, from start to finish, but i ended up crashing with Morde at around 20% hp. It’s unplayable.

My computer is fast enough that i will be logged in and loading into the character within a minute, and i typically end up in a new overflow.

The only time i do get back into the same overflow is when it doesn’t matter. No big event going on, no organized map, nothing full. And even then it seems random, it’ll just as happilly throw me into another overflow all the same.

So the claim that there are working systems in place to offer a grace period when you crash or disconnect is just not true.