Currencies are not crafting materials

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Last patch
Blood Rubies, Jade Shards, Petrified Wood, and Winterberries have been added to material storage.

1 material storage slot = same situation as before just saves 4 slots in my bank. I have 3 stacks of rubies for example.

1) Need to put currencies to account wallet.

2) Let vendors sell unbound magic for these currencies.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

According to the lead dev for material storage, this might be something they can’t undo.
…but I really hope they can. Those items should have been put into the Wallet.

And honestly, the Wallet needs a bit of a UI upgrade, if only to sort/separate the various currencies by source (dungeon, LS2, LS3, etc).

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Since you can salvage things from your material storage and not from your wallet it is a good thing they are there.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Fire orchids and winterberries are crafting materials in several recipes.

Plus they are gathered as a natural resource rather than as a currency.

Plus its easier to change material storage than changing vendors removing material adding a currency.

Not that its very likely, i wouldnt mind if they would use them for future recipes as well. Kinda like the regional side dish or whatever. But thats just personal opinion.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Some of them are also crafting materials.

Fire blossoms are used in the magnanimous utilities (crafted by artificers, weapon smiths, and huntsmen).

Winter berries are used in several food recipes such as Winterberry Sorbet.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m pretty sure they made the decision based on the salvage thing. It would have been more dev time to convert them to a true currency and chase down all the bugs and loose ends.

Rather than complain about it just be happy that they are no longer clogging up your inventory!

It’s a small QOL improvement. Hopefully they will move on to all those keys, crowbars etc next.

Edit: just read the OP again and wanted to add that your mats storage can be expanded up to 2000 per item (so 8 stacks). It costs gems but you can earn gold, convert to gems and expand your storage without spending RL cash.

(edited by DoctorDing.5890)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Since you can salvage things from your material storage and not from your wallet it is a good thing they are there.

For the last time. We do not need the ability to salvage these currencies to obtain unbound magic! They can receive the pristine fractal relic treatment, where you use these currencies to buy a box that gives you a random amount of unbound magic. This technology already exists in the game!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like them in storage. Thanks Anet

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Rather than complain about it just be happy that they are no longer clogging up your inventory!

I’m definitely glad for the freed-up bank space.

It’s concern that has me thinking it could/should have been done differently. If I understand the dev for that area correctly, the more of these items that get put into the storage bank, the more problematic it could be to add more.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Do we really care where they go ??? As long as they dont take space in my inventory im fine so why are you all getting triggered over it? And no some of them are also mats used for recipes (food etc)

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

For the last time. We do not need the ability to salvage these currencies to obtain unbound magic! They can receive the pristine fractal relic treatment, where you use these currencies to buy a box that gives you a random amount of unbound magic. This technology already exists in the game!

Some of them are crafting materials.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

The problem of them taking space in your bag has already been adressed why does it still trigger you so much? Besides some of them are basically crafing mats so it makes sense for them to be there. It would be cofusing to have half in the wallet and half in the bank.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

It’s fine for me to have them in the material storage, only thing I noticed is that you don’t see how much of the stuff you have when you are at a vendor. The item you desire just shows red but you don’t know if you need 1 more Berry or 100. I use gw2efficiency for that, but would be nice to see how many of the items you have while being at an Unbound Magic vendor without bank access.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

It’s fine for me to have them in the material storage, only thing I noticed is that you don’t see how much of the stuff you have when you are at a vendor. The item you desire just shows red but you don’t know if you need 1 more Berry or 100. I use gw2efficiency for that, but would be nice to see how many of the items you have while being at an Unbound Magic vendor without bank access.

If you click on the item you’re interested in then the status bar at the bottom of the merchant window show that information.

So if you select something that costs Unbound Magic and Winterberries the status bar at the bottom of the merchant window should show your current amount of Unbound Magic and the total amount of Winterberries you have in your inventory, bank and material storage.

Faaris.8013

If you click on the item you’re interested in then the status bar at the bottom of the merchant window show that information.

So if you select something that costs Unbound Magic and Winterberries the status bar at the bottom of the merchant window should show your current amount of Unbound Magic and the total amount of Winterberries you have in your inventory, bank and material storage.

That’s how it worked before, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t show the winterberries anymore if they are not in your bag slots. I’ll check later when I’m home and can log in.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

and how will you consume or salvage a currency if it’s in the wallet?

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Last patch
Blood Rubies, Jade Shards, Petrified Wood, and Winterberries have been added to material storage.

1 material storage slot = same situation as before just saves 4 slots in my bank. I have 3 stacks of rubies for example.

1) Need to put currencies to account wallet.

2) Let vendors sell unbound magic for these currencies.

Honestly, I don’t care where they put them. I can live with having a stockpile of 500 in the bank. As long as they introduce a more sensible way of converting these to UM. Berries are fine, but the salvageable ones are borderline unusable.

OriOri.8724

The problem of them taking space in your bag has already been adressed why does it still trigger you so much? Besides some of them are basically crafing mats so it makes sense for them to be there. It would be cofusing to have half in the wallet and half in the bank.

That’s the thing, in my opinion the problem has not been addressed. As soon as you hit 250 of these currencies, your storage will be full and it will start piling up in your inventory again. This isn’t a solution to the problem.

Faaris.8013

That’s the thing, in my opinion the problem has not been addressed. As soon as you hit 250 of these currencies, your storage will be full and it will start piling up in your inventory again. This isn’t a solution to the problem.

But that’s the same as with other materials. If you need 500 Iron Ore to craft something, you have to use another slot for the second stack. Or you purchase the material storage upgrades. I might actually do that when I go for crafted ascended armor at some point.

The most expensive item you can buy with berries is the waterbreather, and that costs 500 berries. Personally, I’m not hoarding berries for my future characters, I either already get the backpack/ring/breather/amulet or let them do the farming themselves when they are ready to use the stuff.

Amaimon.7823

Maybe.. just maybe..
YOU SHOULD EITHER SPEND THEM OR STOP GATHERING THEM!
you’re making a first world problem a nuclear war
seriously
If you don’t need them THEN WHY ARE YOU GATHERING THEM!?
If you do need them THEN WHY ARENT YOU SPENDING THEM!?

If your bank is full, and you have no intention of spending them, THEN STOP GATHERING THEM

FrizzFreston.5290

I have the same problem if not worse with mithril, silk, thick leather and not to forget bloodstone dust empyreal shards and dragonite ore.

And then I have a space for 1000s. Lol

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I have the same problem if not worse with mithril, silk, thick leather and not to forget bloodstone dust empyreal shards and dragonite ore.

And then I have a space for 1000s. Lol

Just refine everything and store that. If the refined stack fills up, just sell it, you don’t need more than a full stack of refined materials laying around.

OriOri.8724

Maybe.. just maybe..
YOU SHOULD EITHER SPEND THEM OR STOP GATHERING THEM!
you’re making a first world problem a nuclear war
seriously
If you don’t need them THEN WHY ARE YOU GATHERING THEM!?
If you do need them THEN WHY ARENT YOU SPENDING THEM!?

If your bank is full, and you have no intention of spending them, THEN STOP GATHERING THEM

I don’t gather them. I hate wasting inventory space on what is, essentially, a currency with a different name. Doesn’t mean I can’t disagree with a poor design when I see one

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Considering 250 would just purchase a single item, it is not really something that material storage would make a big difference on. I have 750 for storage, and it’s filling up.

It’d probably be a nicer thing if we could simply trade them in for unbound magic, since asking for confirmation per salvage isn’t exactly a good thing either.

Or maybe a way to refine them into something more compact like cobs and baubble baubbles but that may mess things up too.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Faaris.8013

Considering 250 would just purchase a single item, it is not really something that material storage would make a big difference on. I have 750 for storage, and it’s filling up.

What are you waiting for, just spend the berries/rubies/shards…

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t have enough unbound magic….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Faaris.8013

Yes, I remember that farming the required berries etc. was faster than collecting enough Unbound Magic. My solution was to stop farming berries and doing events instead until I had enough Unbound Magic.

ArchonWing.9480

Yes, I remember that farming the required berries etc. was faster than collecting enough Unbound Magic. My solution was to stop farming berries and doing events instead until I had enough Unbound Magic.

That is very cool and all but just realize you need both anyways when a single purchase is more than standard storage.

That just changes the order of things.

Amaimon.7823

but if you have excess S3 trophies, you can consume them for the missing magic

ArchonWing.9480

And go through hundreds of confirmation prompts….

If they have a salvage or comsume all, I don’ think there woild be a problem.

Amaimon.7823

you can drag the inventory so the item in question is right atop the [yes]
then you set your mouse scroll button to (click) so that every roll up is the same as 1 mouse click (these are legal macros)
then you just scroll to quickly click through. It’s what I do to open large stacks of bags and everything

ArchonWing.9480

I know you can center the confirm button, but it doesn’t change the number of clicks needed. I’m also aware of ahk scripts, but that’s also besides the point.

It’s a lesson they’ll learn eventually. They did with luck and savage all, after all.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

According to the lead dev for material storage, this might be something they can’t undo.

And honestly, the Wallet needs a bit of a UI upgrade, if only to sort/separate the various currencies by source (dungeon, LS2, LS3, etc).

Proofs of Heroics were tokens and turned into a currency you acquire by right click —> add to wallet. They’re glorified tokens now, I imagine it’s doable.

Either way, I’d rather have by bank slots and inventory slots free again, especially with a new map token. I boycotted Lake Doric in protest of the continuing clogging of my inventory. That issue has gone away now.

OriOri.8724

Proofs of Heroics were tokens and turned into a currency you acquire by right click —> add to wallet. They’re glorified tokens now, I imagine it’s doable.

Either way, I’d rather have by bank slots and inventory slots free again, especially with a new map token. I boycotted Lake Doric in protest of the continuing clogging of my inventory. That issue has gone away now.

Its doable but they won’t do it. Lindsey mentioned that they were intentionally made into items because “there’s a lot more things you can do with an itemDef than with a currencyDef”

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t care what people want to call them … but I’m thankful they don’t sit in my inventory anymore, I know that much.

FrizzFreston.5290

Cant say that removing the prompt (probably standard because exotic) or consume all would be a bad idea.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It seems that these items were some of the most requested in the thread that asked for players’ opinion on what should be included in Material Storage (not Wallet).

Thus, I would guess, that is why we see them there now.

Are there any crafting materials included in the Wallet? Perhaps, the Crafting mechanic can not recognize items stored there.

Feanor.2358

I don’t need any more ascended trinkets right now. All my alts have full sets. I’d rather consume them for UM, because I can then spent the UM on T6 crafting mats I need for legendaries. But then, this works with berries and it’s PITA with rubies/shards/wood. There needs to be a vendor which converts the non-consumable ones to UM.

Faaris.8013

I don’t need any more ascended trinkets right now. All my alts have full sets. I’d rather consume them for UM, because I can then spent the UM on T6 crafting mats I need for legendaries. But then, this works with berries and it’s PITA with rubies/shards/wood. There needs to be a vendor which converts the non-consumable ones to UM.

So you are spending time collecting berries but don’t have the time to turn them into Unbound Magic? If there was just a solution to that…

Are you also buying hazelnuts with shells and then don’t eat them because you don’t have time to crack them? And then you keep buying them instead of just getting already cracked hazelnuts?

Feanor.2358

Again, I have no problem with berries. However, the rubies/wood/shards (which I get on a daily basis from my home instance, hardly spending any time at all) are a problem. Yeah, I could choose to not harvest these nodes, but then I would feel disappointed of buying them at the first place. In any case it’s a bad experience. And a one trivially fixed. So I really see no reason advocating against it. But if you do have a reason why adding a vendor to convert them would be bad for the game – I’d like to hear it.

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

It was bad idea make them crafting materials from first place. Who really use them for crafting?

Also look at old currencies. Even if you dont “farm” you have them. I am sure after 3-6 months most of people who actually play these maps will have surpluses of these items.

What if i don’t want to buy accessories now, but someday i will need to change my build, i must farm from start or store “currency” in my bank (for months?).

“if you don’t need those currencies don’t play those maps” – is not a good idea too.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Feanor.2358

It was bad idea make them crafting materials from first place. Who really use them for crafting?

There are existing food recipes which use berries. I imagine it was the logical choice to make all of them crafting mats.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It takes me no more time to salvage the 3 mats from each Home Instance node than it takes to gather them. Actually, probably less time.

Perhaps, with time, they will have a ‘consume-all’ (salvage) type of feature, just like Snowflakes.

Feanor.2358

Try salvaging two stacks. Then compare with eating two stacks of winterberries.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If one had been salvaging the materials from the Home Instance as one gathered them, there would not be ‘two stacks’, no?

Personally, I have salvaged stacks of Blood Rubies for Unbound Magic. It was not an issue for me. Of course, ymmv.

Regardless, salvaging as one gathers in the Home Instance negates much of any issue.

Good luck.

Faaris.8013

Again, I have no problem with berries. However, the rubies/wood/shards (which I get on a daily basis from my home instance, hardly spending any time at all) are a problem.

Sorry, I missed the part where you get them from home instance nodes. But how many do those give, 3 per day per node? You would need to do that 2.5 months to fill a stack.

Feanor.2358

I’ve had the ruby node for a lot more time. Plus, I played the map a lot when it came out. In any case, it doesn’t make sense one item to be so effortlessly converted and another to be so annoying.

ArchonWing.9480

So you are spending time collecting berries but don’t have the time to turn them into Unbound Magic? If there was just a solution to that…

Are you also buying hazelnuts with shells and then don’t eat them because you don’t have time to crack them? And then you keep buying them instead of just getting already cracked hazelnuts?

That’s a poor analogy. If it were solely berries and magic, it’d be fine…

Unbound magic is required for all 5 maps, while we also have to gather things for each individual map. And we don’t buy any of the trophies; they’re often rewarded passively just by playing and doing hearts.

So if you don’t play all 5 maps evenly, and that can be due to a number of reasons, this is inevitably going to happen. Unless you deliberately ignore nodes but that doesn’t actually solve anything. The time spent from gathering, and ignoring gathering and “farming” unbound magic via events and collecting them in the sky is marginal at best. Not to mention you have a bit more control over gathering than events.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Amaimon.7823

do you think we’ll ever get to buy an unbound magic node? just one of those floating bubbles floating somewhere in your home instance, one for every map, so you can get 6 bubbles floating in a corner somewhere

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Its doable but they won’t do it. Lindsey mentioned that they were intentionally made into items because “there’s a lot more things you can do with an itemDef than with a currencyDef”

I think the technical limitation with items in the wallet is that they can only interact with vendors, not crafting stations.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.