Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

Will HOT have cut scenes for any reason? Cut scenes usually occur in dungeons and story instances and they create a few issues.

For a skippable cut scene, you make the player choose between the lore and “gogogogogo nownownownow” and often times, gogogo wins because players like myself don’t want to hold up our teammates or even ourselves.

I’m a Dungeon Master and almost done with Dungeoneer, but I’ve never seen any of the cut scenes. I want the lore, but you can read the reasons above why I skip.

What’s the fix? Make all the lore and story be part of the action. Don’t stop my progression to hear some NPCs talk. Let them talk over the audio while my team is moving a long. GW2 is fast-paced action. Why would you slow us down?

Secondly, NPCs suck. They bug so often (AC Detha, FOTM experimental weapon, etc), that it must be a bit of a nightmare to code them. And worst of all, they’re slow. They’re so slow teams spam swiftness on them just to get them to trigger the next objective. They bottleneck the action and introduce problems. What’s the point of bringing along some NPC when they die in 2 hits every single fight, aggro monsters early, or add defiant on bosses in important fights (Braham).

(There’s a part of me that just bought ultimate edition just to see Braham’s mother die in HOT for all the times he’s knocked back the Molten Berserker in a PuG run. Real talk.)

Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

Posted by: Sir Alric.5078

Sir Alric.5078

If you don’t have the patience to watch a cut scene, or to read some lines of dialogue, than i’m afraid enjoying the lore would be difficult for you. Besides, your “fix” would just make life harder for those who don’t speak english as their first language, like me. I sure as hell won’t be able to follow a background dialogue in a foreign language while i’m right in the middle of all the pew-pew, slash-slah, ka-boom, etc. because i would be too focused on the fight to pay attention to the NPC’s talking. And i don’t think i’m the only one with this problem.

My point is, if you want to do speed runs only, then forget about the lore. Otherwise, just watch the kitten cut scenes for ONCE. They are not that bad, you know?

Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

You can change your dialogue in options to whatever language you speak.

I’m saying, they want players to invest in the lore, all they have to do is have it play along side the action.

Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

You can change your dialogue in options to whatever language you speak.

I’m saying, they want players to invest in the lore, all they have to do is have it play along side the action.

You can change the dialogue into English, German, French and Spanish(only text). There’s plenty of people who speak a bit of one of those and none of the other languages mentioned. For them it would be very difficult to follow while being in the thick of a fight.

That being said, we have seen some preview for the personal story in HoT. This also seems to follow how dialogue works in the last living story releases, no real cutscenes, but people will actually talk to you inside the world.

If you want to follow the stories in the dungeon, why not look for a group who doesn’t mind? Get some first-timers along to help teach them the dungeon and watch the cutscenes together. It’s not a real solution to your point, but it will enable you to watch them at least once.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

I don’t mind the NPCs talking so much, but whether it’s an unskippable cut scene, or some important lore dialogue, if it happens in instanced content like a dungeon, it should never force us to watch a cut scene, and it should never be longer than a about a 5-10 second pause for the dialogue.

I get it that they want us to hear the lore and see the sights, and that’s fine in story instances, but in a dungeon? Nope, not in any of the ones we have now, not in any future ones designed as ours are now.

Hopefully the new system where our characters can speak outside of cutscenes will help keep this all down to a minimum, maybe even be applied backwards to our existing dungeons, but otherwise I have to agree that I won’t miss any cut scenes or dialogue in dungeons that forces me to halt everything I’m doing. It’s like waiting for an elevator ride or a stop light when you’re down to the wire on time trying to get somewhere… the break nerve wracking ><

Cut scenes in HOT, NPCs

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

OP has a point. It’s not about him having patience to watch the scenes. It’s the party dynamic that is on gogogogogogogogo, nownownownow. He/she would like to watch the scenes, but he can’t hold up his/her party.

This is also true of me. I’m a solo player and I enjoy all aspects of the game, lore and being properly oriented to the tasks at hand.

I understand OP completely and he/she has made a sensible suggestion.

I have a suggestion for the OP. It’s possible to go to youtube and just watch some of the dungeons. Sometimes they players that make the vids will have the cut scenes play out. It’s possible to be able to watch those scenes on your own time without the pressure of a fast-paced party on the move.

And to SirAlric, for a non-native English speaker, let me compliment you on your fantastic English in your post. It’s better English than many native-English speakers.

(edited by Electra.7530)