"Daredevil" name feedback

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Anyone else think this name sounds pretty corny? I mean the spec looks awesome but the name… eh. I mean it’s not as bad as dragonhunter but it’s a close 2nd imo.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

well they couldnt call it gambit.

it probably should have been acrobat, but they already have a line named that.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

It’s not my favorite, but it doesn’t impact gameplay at all…so I don’t really care either.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

I think daredevil is quite nice and fitting actually. I mean you have to sort of consider the position they were in with this elite spec. It is basically a d&d style monk, however the word monk is already used in Tyria to describe the dedicated healer casters that eventually became guardians.

What do you call the “monk spec” then? Also keeping in mind that this “monk spec” is being added to the thief class and as such won’t have the same sort of religious connotations of typical d&d monks.

So what would call it? Assassin and Ninja are right out as both conjure images of stealthy characters which the “monk spec” is decidedly not. Martial Artist doesn’t roll of the tongue or offer any really interesting flavor.

Daredevil works, imo, as it’s a thief that’s eschewing a lot of the stealth mechanics thieves use to survive in order to dodge enemy attacks through skill alone. Sounds dangerous, sounds daring, sounds like a daredevil.

Posted by: Rexxar.6928

Rexxar.6928

Dragonhunter, Berserker, Daredevil… who is coming up with these names?!? Dragonhunter and Berserker are so generic, might as well have been from any lame fantasy game. Daredevil.. someone watched the show too much!

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I find the name fitting since the thief has to evade attacks to get some of it’s bonuses meaning it has to wait till the last moment. Seems very daring to me.

EverythingOP

Posted by: Treetoptrickster.4205

Treetoptrickster.4205

I honestly can’t complain. I don’t think there are too many other options that could represent it any more accurately. I can live with it. At least it isn’t the nagging burden that the Dragonhunter was the first two weeks we knew of it.

Posted by: Phineas Drayke.6381

Phineas Drayke.6381

Call yourself lucky. In french we got some strange equivalent of “smasher”…….

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Dragonhunter, Berserker, Daredevil… who is coming up with these names?!? Dragonhunter and Berserker are so generic, might as well have been from any lame fantasy game. Daredevil.. someone watched the show too much!

You thought of the show, I remember the horrible movie…

Quick! someone take some form of name of Ben Affleck!

I got your theme song right here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfekpGnxaLk

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. I’m one of the people in the “Dragon Hunter is a stupid name for the Guardian elite specialization.” But as someone said above, it doesn’t impact gameplay. You are still a thief or guardian you don’t actually change into those names.

As far as the name Daredevil. I’m kind of “meh.” It’s just my opinion, but it doesn’t seem like a whole lot of creativity was put into the names. I don’t care as long as a whole lot of creativity was put into the traits and skills.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like the name. It fits my Thief’s persona to a T. He’s always been the sort to do crazy dangerous acrobatic stunts just to show off. And no, he’s nothing like Matt Murdock; I hearken back to the word before it got co-opted by a superhero (much though I’ve always liked the comic, ever since I started reading it in the 80’s).

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

With a name like ‘daredevil’ I was expecting something more along the lines of a swashbuckler theme, which I thought would have been pretty cool.

Instead, we got something that’s more like a ninja. While I do think the new skills & abilities will be pretty cool, I think ‘assassin’ or something that evokes martial arts would have been a more appropriate name.

(edited by Tregarde.6031)

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

I love the daredevil name:) i find it very fitting to the idea behind this spec.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

It’s not my favorite, but it doesn’t impact gameplay at all…so I don’t really care either.

This, i wouldn’t mind my elite spec being called the umpalumpa if it was a decent spec with awesome gameplay. You honestly shouldn’t care. It has no effect at all, except for the name of that trait line.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It would have been nice if there was some lore around the names, or at least some way of seeing how it fits into the world of Tyria. The first thing I think when I see ‘daredevil’ is… does Tyria have a devil? I mean yeah you got the six gods, and yes you’ve got demons, but where exactly does the devil come into it?
Other than that, a rose by any other name.

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

lol OMG “le fracasseur” xD.
I’m so glad I’m not playing in the European server lol. No seriously there’s nothing to complain about the name “daredevil”. Not after seeing the french version at least lol (and no one seems to complain about the name there)

phys.7689

With a name like ‘daredevil’ I was expecting something more along the lines of a swashbuckler theme, which I thought would have been pretty cool.

Instead, we got something that’s more like a ninja. While I do think the new skills & abilities will be pretty cool, I think ‘assassin’ or something that evokes martial arts would have been a more appropriate name.

its a gambit proffession.
acrobatics
staff
projectiles (for gambit, its card, but here its daggers)
small amount of hand to hand fighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambit_%28comics%29

oh yeah he was a member of theives guild.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I like the name, it is a bit different to the usual MMO class names and certainly doesn’t strike me as corny at all

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

What would people prefer it to be called then? Assassin?

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

Posted by: Zsigmond.8073

Zsigmond.8073

Taoist Monk? Lol

phys.7689

Taoist Monk? Lol

sadly the worst thing about this spec, is they probably feel they have a strong martial artist class now..

so no, never will there be a taoist monk now…

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I like the name, it looks fun to.

phys.7689

I’m so glad I’m not playing in the European server lol. No seriously there’s nothing to complain about the name “daredevil”. Not after seeing the french version at least lol (and no one seems to complain about the name there)

the brawl- er essentially. basically what it is, though i think its a made up french word

Posted by: Zsigmond.8073

Zsigmond.8073

the brawl- er essentially. basically what it is, though i think its a made up french word

Fracas means “ruckus”. That is the closest english translation that I can come up with… I don’t think Fracasseur is a word… but it translates to pretty much “Causer of ruckus”…. Lol which is nothing close to Daredevil.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

While “Dare Devil” isn’t my first choice for a thief elite spec, it’s not too terribly awful either. IMO It’s no where near as generic and awful as “Dragonhunter” which devalues everyone that is not a guardian.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

How about we focus on more important things instead of a silly name?

Posted by: Bahir.5132

Bahir.5132

Nope, I don’t like “daredevil”. I keep thinking of a bad Aflack movie….

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Cribbing a name off Warcraft and then criticizing originality.
I can’t even. >_>

Granted, Dragonhunter is lame. 46 pages of lame. Literally.
Berserker is.. expected. I’m not sure the execution fits the concept of the “berserker,” but it’s a Tyrian twist on it.
Daredevil is unique. It was a word long before the comic book character. (Though the staff thing may be taking the tongue-in-cheek a little too far.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

Here you go – the inspiration for the staff Daredevil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9vaNS3b0s

(note – put here for entertainment, not as criticism)

(edited by Tregarde.6031)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yes, it’s cornball.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

Better than Dragonhunter, for sure.

But then, Sheephumper would be better than that, too.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I like it. As I’ve said before. Base thief is stealthy and particular, Daredevil goes very well with the parkour, reckless type thief who uses their quick wits to maintain themselves in sticky situations and still makes it out alive with their riches.

I’d rather this which has a rich context to it than being a silly Ninja or “assassin”. You’d think people would have gotten sick of those played out names by now.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Watch the tv show(it is amazing) and you will forget the movie.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I don’t particularly like it…. but its clear, descriptive and evocative of apropiate references. Doesn’t sound bad either. It’s an “ok” name.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. I’m one of the people in the “Dragon Hunter is a stupid name for the Guardian elite specialization.” But as someone said above, it doesn’t impact gameplay. You are still a thief or guardian you don’t actually change into those names.

As far as the name Daredevil. I’m kind of “meh.” It’s just my opinion, but it doesn’t seem like a whole lot of creativity was put into the names. I don’t care as long as a whole lot of creativity was put into the traits and skills.

At least Daredevil looks fun, Dragonhunter was as horrible to play as it sounded.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Can people at least come up with an ORIGINAL and UNIQUE name before complaining?

I bet all the names you guys have in mind were already taken by other games.

Daredevil is great,if the first thing that comes to your mind is the Marvel character,well,thats too bad. It is not copyrighted by Marvel

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Can people at least come up with an ORIGINAL and UNIQUE name before complaining?

Daredevil is great,if the first thing that comes to your mind is the Marvel character,well,thats too bad. It is not copyrighted by Marvel

There are several threads that popped up after the druid was announced where people were offering up names for the specialties.

Some of them were awesome and unique. It can be done.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

It’s not the greatest name ever, but it does fit thematically with the style of combat and at the same time doesn’t add confusing lore inconsistencies like another elite spec cough dragonhunter cough overall, not the greatest name but it’s not the worst name either

Besides what other alternatives are there? Assassin doesn’t work thematically with the style of fighting (its a very high dps dodgy spec, not a sneaky backstaby style) Acrobat is already an existing trait line, Monk implies healing, which again isn’t anything like this style…so yeah

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Same people that came up with the awe-inspiring ‘Thief, Warrior, Engineer’.

You people have misconceptions about the ‘quality’ of the names the elites are getting when really, they are EXACTLY inline with the names we already had with the vanilla classes. If anything, the real ‘cool’ names are the exceptions to the trend in naming.

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

It could be funny. I wanna see a compilation video of a DD messing up vista climbs because of their long dodges to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsoCki4pTk so daring’

Posted by: BrotherNumsie.8123

BrotherNumsie.8123

I would have gone with The Acrobat.

The specialization reminds me of Diana The Acrobat from the old Dungeon and Dragons cartoons.

Yes I know, thief has acrobatics already, just that I think this specialization fits better with the name.

(edited by BrotherNumsie.8123)

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Daredevil is fine, don’t nitpick. At least it’s not “Devilhunter”.

Posted by: Adamixos.6785

Adamixos.6785

Lol… I was kind of expecting “Dragonmonk”. Daredevil is definitely milestones better than that.

Ardenwolfe.8590

I bet all the names you guys have in mind were already taken by other games.l

We were not asked to come up with better names. But just off the top of my head: slayer, scoundrel, shadow, vexxer, vindictive, assassin, Grenth’s choosen, Hand of Grenth, Grenth’s Shadow, haunts, Bones, demonicons, corporate lawyers. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

Should probably be “Lungseeker”

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

What would people prefer it to be called then? Assassin?

Skirmisher, plain and simple the best option for someone, who fights defensively in midsts of danger, takign the risk of receivign more hits willingly to perform at the right moment strong hitting counterattacls through blokced attacks

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Watch the tv show(it is amazing) and you will forget the movie.

I second this. The netflix tv show is quite good. As far as I’m concerned Affleck daredevil does not exist.

Posted by: TimberWolph.7394

TimberWolph.7394

We were not asked to come up with better names. But just off the top of my head: slayer, scoundrel, shadow, vexxer, vindictive, assassin, Grenth’s choosen, Hand of Grenth, Grenth’s Shadow, haunts, Bones, demonicons, corporate lawyers. . . .

I am really glad that you’re not the one coming up with names then as to me almost all of those were really bad. Also ORIGINAL and UNIQUE. All most all of those weren’t Original or Unique

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Nobody has Stick Hitter Person. The sarcasm is what makes it unique…. or w/e it is I used. Too busy gawking over traits.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Ardenwolfe.8590

I am really glad that you’re not the one coming up with names then as to me almost all of those were really bad. Also ORIGINAL and UNIQUE. All most all of those weren’t Original or Unique

Man, there’s no need for that level of ugly. But, feel free to show me the ones off the top of your head, so I can criticize them too.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)