Dear Anet: why i leave the game

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: YaYa.5879

YaYa.5879

Dear Anet
When the expension was announced i was so exited. So much great ideas were put in to it.
Elite specialization, divided fractals, the jungle. And that’s why i agreed to pay 45€ for what is one of the most expensive expension ever.

Now what was my experience?
Well it seems like for every good idea that you had, there was really poor execution.
Let me explain:
—> Elite specialization: the principal is awesome. But the execution: well i spent 2 and a half weeks of the expension grinding hero points. It was HP after HP, character after character. And the grind slowly became the reason why i logged in. “i couldn’t start the meta event without finishing my elite specialzation”. At some point when i did my herald, i started playing with netflix on the side. you are not supposed to play a game while watching netflix (on the Ipad). A good game doesn’t require netflix on the side not to keep you bored.

—> The Meta events: these are awesome.
The probleme is the constant crashes. I remember the time i went to do the Dragonstad Meta Event, i crashed 4 times. The last time was at the end of the mouth of mordremoth when the final boss was at 10%. The game crashed, i couldn’t get back to the server. And that’s how i lost 1h45 of my life.
Same thing in verdant brink, and auric.
Now with the new patch the crashes are everywhere, even in central tyria while doing regular stuff in the lions arch. It’s not possible to play in these conditions.

—> Party content
Instead of having a huge game with a huge quantity of things to do: dungeons, fractals, the jungle, raids. You nerfed the 5 person content.
Fractals are garbage now. I was so exited by the fractured fractals but the rewards aren’t there anymore.
Dungeons? I loved doing this with my guildies, well not anymore since you completly nerfed the rewards.
It’s like you are forcing us to go to maguma, and raids. You won’t let us enjoy what we want. Don’t get me wrong maguma is awesome, but i like to do different stuff, and now i can’t.

—> Guild hall.
The principal is awesome (again). And again the execution is poor. It is so expensive. Small guilds can’t aford it. And the arena is useless because we are fighting with PVE gear…

Now i am really disapointed. And it’s not for a lack off trying to like this expension. I have been playing hours every day since it’s release.
This evening, with the latest patch i crashed 4 times.
I play on a mac and there is no 64 bit version. I play with Medium settings and yet the game crashes constantly (never happened before HOT) and the bugs are getting really frustrating.

That’s why i uninstalled the game. GW2, was a way to relax after work for me. These last few weeks it has been a source of great frustration.
See ya, i’m gonna go buy fallout 4

Edit : Yes i play on a mac, But i still paid good money for a game which was “Mac Compatible”.
Now that i spent 45€ for the game, 45€ for the expension you can’t tell me : "oh thanks for your money but the mac version isn’t made for this game (because i had no probleme before HOT).

(edited by YaYa.5879)

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Mandatory can I have your stuff post

The grind mentality is your problem, not Anet’s, after the change my alt’s specializations just came by doing normal content.
The crashes are tecnical problems that could or could not be Anet’s fault, most of the time it’s usually related to the user’s system.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

I’d say take a break and keep watching for patches to improve on your list of grievances. Your not totally wrong there are issues.

Posted by: TexY.2350

TexY.2350

I would like to get compensation for the crashes that occured after ds meta event which I’ve done only for the ores. Atleast 5times. 10€/h.. so about 75€.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

The grind mentality is your problem, not Anet’s, after the change my alt’s specializations just came by doing normal content.
The crashes are tecnical problems that could or could not be Anet’s fault, most of the time it’s usually related to the user’s system.

the crashes are anets fault where have you been?

Posted by: Ashreon.2840

Ashreon.2840

… I hate myself for saying this. It hurts me. but……

It’s Mac’s fault. Sorry sorry sorry sorry…. In this case, however, it kinda is. The Mac client is – inherently – unstable. I do think that they are continuously improving it, but it’s a beta client – after all. It will take. A lot of time. If it will ever work. Properly.

Other than that he is actually right in most cases it’s usually the pc of the client which is at fault and not the game. Which should not be surprising considering each god kitten company that produces hardware for a pc does it differently from each other. Hench software needs to be able to communicate to many different kinds of hardware it’s -bound- to cause issues.
All good tho ‘cos it’s usually preventable with patches.

YaYa.5879

It’s Mac’s fault. Sorry sorry sorry sorry…. In this case, however, it kinda is. The Mac client is – inherently – unstable. I do think that they are continuously improving it, but it’s a beta client – after all. It will take. A lot of time. If it will ever work. Properly.

Mac client or not, i still paid good money for a game which was “Mac Compatible”.
Now that i spent 45€ for the game, 45€ for the expension you can’t tell me : "oh thanks for your money but the mac version isn’t made for this game.

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

I don’t know about the guilded halls, but I’m in a guild that got theirs and it’s great. Our guild is looking to add active players. So, you can join with us if you want. This isn’t meant to be recruit.

But, there are lots of bugs, I’m sure they are being worked on as expeditiously as possible.

You just can’t really dismiss them so fast. Just take a break and come back and play when you’re less frustrated.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Can I have your stuff? I wasn’t like joking I actually want your stuff. So please just send all your valueable and gold to the ID to the left that would be great.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

tldr; I forced myself to grind because I have no patience and now I’m burned out. Okay.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

TLDR; Get a PC! PROBLEM SOLVED! Not sure if Anet will transfer your account though.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

you are not supposed to play a game while watching netflix (on the Ipad). A good game doesn’t require netflix on the side not to keep you bored.

Well, tbh, I wouldn’t need Netflix on the side if I could solo all the Hero Challenges and didn’t have to spend so much time waiting to get into a good map or waiting around for DS to begin.

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

@YaYa, Don’t give up on Arenanet yet bro. Don’t listen to the fantar… adoring fans of arenanet. Take a break for a while, I’ve experienced burn out from the game as well in the past.

Can we have a PvP reward track that would allow us to gain Hero Points?

Can we have a PVP version of the Guild Hall arena, similar to how we could make private PvP rooms? I know it’s kinda redundant, but PvP rooms have a limit of 10 people per side. In GW1, GvG was an 8v8 match. GW2 introduced massive battles, the perception of GvG is no longer about squad vs squad.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Posted by: Asura.6209

Asura.6209

Since GW1 to GW2, the main story of Tyria to the whole world is great. But how about the GW2 Expansion-HOT? It should be called Silverwaste 2-SW2. This is a Enhanced Farm with new Elite specialization, Meta events.

Most players like the way of “Adventure in the World” not “Farm in the Map” to be the Expansion. Why I have to wait others players then proceed the explore the map? I want the achievements but also I have to wait, wait map with group, wait safe path to each hero/mastery points even those challenges on each map. This is a “Time War”,dead then waypoint with contested sometimes then dead again. No more greedy to discover new land.

Why not distinct from the “Explore” to the “Farm” on HOT? This is a very successful mode on GW1 w/t GW2, That is the only reason and main interesting on GW series.

Posted by: FlamingNipples.4176

FlamingNipples.4176

Dear Anet: As a mac user I want my money back. This game is utterly broken for mac and unplayable. I’m crashing on average every 7 minutes and get 16 different error messages. I paid for a game and expansion that is mac compatible but it clearly isn’t nor do I see any messages from the devs talking about it.

YaYa.5879

Dear Anet: As a mac user I want my money back. This game is utterly broken for mac and unplayable. I’m crashing on average every 7 minutes and get 16 different error messages. I paid for a game and expansion that is mac compatible but it clearly isn’t nor do I see any messages from the devs talking about it.

Kinda makes you feel cheated…

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

you are not supposed to play a game while watching netflix (on the Ipad). A good game doesn’t require netflix on the side not to keep you bored.

Well, tbh, I wouldn’t need Netflix on the side if I could solo all the Hero Challenges and didn’t have to spend so much time waiting to get into a good map or waiting around for DS to begin.

I basically watch youtube while playing GW2… My country doesn’t have netflix you see… I find it helps me focus when I have more than one thing to focus on :P

Since GW1 to GW2, the main story of Tyria to the whole world is great. But how about the GW2 Expansion-HOT? It should be called Silverwaste 2-SW2. This is a Enhanced Farm with new Elite specialization, Meta events.

Most players like the way of “Adventure in the World” not “Farm in the Map” to be the Expansion.

Well I agree, but the design is pretty solid. There is a limit to how much content Anet can produce in a given time, and it will always be faster for players to burn through the content than Anet can make it. So the design idea is to rather than producing a few hours of content that can be breezed through to produce a few hours of content that has high replay-ability. Think of one of the vanilla maps, how much gameplay do you get out of them? How many times can you play through them? Once? Twice?
Now I’d love to have more exploration style maps, but at the same time I know that I get less value and gameplay from those maps than from a meta-map.

Eh Mac users, even worse than Linux users… Sorry I know I’m a bigot, but come on it’s a Mac we’re talking about here.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Mac client or not, i still paid good money for a game which was “Mac Compatible”.
Now that i spent 45€ for the game, 45€ for the expension you can’t tell me : "oh thanks for your money but the mac version isn’t made for this game.

Paying for the base game only to discover the Mac client was rubbish is certainly something to complain about .. but knowing that it was rubbish you STILL went ahead and paid for the expansion and are still complaining about it.

Really?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Eh Mac users, even worse than Linux users… Sorry I know I’m a bigot, but come on it’s a Mac we’re talking about here.

Macs run on *nix. Just sayin’….

YaYa.5879

Paying for the base game only to discover the Mac client was rubbish is certainly something to complain about .. but knowing that it was rubbish you STILL went ahead and paid for the expansion and are still complaining about it.

Really?

Hey buddy! I wrote that before HOT i had no problem with the core game. Since HOT i had a lot of crashes (and with the patch i had problems everywhere).
;)

Posted by: FlamingNipples.4176

FlamingNipples.4176

I never had error messages and crashed before HOT. This expansion is broken for mac users

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Because no one ever takes a break for a week or two while expansion bugs are ironed out.

NO! Melodrama is the key to a happy life.

Or not.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

YaYa.5879

LOL except it has been almost a month since this was released. And this post isn’t only about the constant crashing. It’s also about the nex mentality of the game.
“Hey, come to maguma, see our stuff, we have raids. Dungeons are dead we killed them, fractals are garbage since the rewards have been nerfs. Come to maguma you have no choice.”

Celtic Lady.3729

I basically watch youtube while playing GW2… My country doesn’t have netflix you see… I find it helps me focus when I have more than one thing to focus on :P

That’s great. But my point is, having to do something else because you’re always waiting to play the game you’re playing is bad game design and not something I really want to be doing.

Posted by: Exotrax.4207

Exotrax.4207

You really sound a fanboy in love with Anet , did you ever check the post about the crashes ? It’s an out of memory issue of the client not related to the user’s system.

About the grind mentality …….the way of leveling has changed dramatically in HoT and if you read the forum …..the majority of people DON’T like it ….so it’s an Anet’s problem !!!

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Love some of the comments blaming the user for his broken product.

Posted by: DerAlteSack.3572

DerAlteSack.3572

You really sound a fanboy in love with Anet , did you ever check the post about the crashes ? It’s an out of memory issue of the client not related to the user’s system.

Well, technically they have a fix for that, called the 64-bit Client. Though I am aware that some people also have problems (still in beta ) with this client. I had no crashes since I installed it.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Can understand your frustration with the crashes. If I were dealing with that it would be enough to make me put it down for a while as well. This is not a rebuttal, but some general thoughts on your other points

• The expansion is not over priced. Please see the retail price of the last few World of Warcraft expansions for comparison. The price you paid is new norm for expansions in 2015.
  • Elite Specializations – You do realize it was originally set to 400 hero points for unlock!!! The community got fired up and ANet compromised at 250 which means capping all hero challenges on the first two maps and then picking up a few more on the third or going back to core game and picking up missing hero challenges
  • I suspect the Dungeon nerf is temporary and designed (in part) to shift player population around a bit. Core game dungeons have been with us for over three years and they are all some players have been doing. Agree we need more 5 man tactical combat, it seems improving Fractals is where this will happen.
  • Guild Halls, I agree with you on this one. They designed them for large guilds. In the weeks leading up to launch one of the developers proclaimed “Small guilds will not be left out” and at that time we really didn’t have any context for the comment. It was if someone stormed out of a closed door meeting at ArenaNet to proclaim victory. That comment has led me to suspect they were at one time going to be much harder to fill up. The timer gating is suppose to be the mechanic that helps smaller guilds but I agree with you it’s not good enough
  • The game no longer feels casual to you because suddenly there’s a lot of new content to do and you want everything done right now. It’s about competing with other guilds for guild hall features, it’s about competing with other players to get things done first or unlock certain things to be able to enjoy playing the game a unique way. That’s part of good MMO design. You’ve been playing the game so much because it’s designed so well that crazy fun and very hard to break away from.

Not defending every decision ArenaNet made, but unlike many studios/publishers ArenaNet has been listening to the community and making changes. The patches will keep coming and the tuning will keep happening.

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

You know for a game where PVP – the only really competitive aspect- is set on an even footing, GW2 sure got some weird changes with HoT, to say the least.

For example Neverwinter gates its best gear heavily behind a pay/grind wall because gear makes a huge difference in PVP, thus people get frustrated into paying to win or leaving. Here however we dont have to worry about PVP gear inequality, so I’m really suprised to see the level of grind and gating Anet introduced. Whats the point? Casual wins numbers, casual brings money. Heck, Im a casual new player with only 2 months and one lvl 80 char behind me. And I already have around 300 euro spent on the game. With this mountain of grind however I dont feel enticed to continue supporting.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

I get the boots! oh and dont let the door hit you on the way out and be sure to come back once in awhile not like anet earning their income in sub pricing.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

Other than that he is actually right in most cases it’s usually the pc of the client which is at fault and not the game. Which should not be surprising considering each god kitten company that produces hardware for a pc does it differently from each other. Hench software needs to be able to communicate to many different kinds of hardware it’s -bound- to cause issues.
All good tho ‘cos it’s usually preventable with patches.

My mac cost more than $2,000 and it never crashed on me, EVER. Except when I play GW2 since HoT. It’s not my laptop’s fault. Anet needs to STOP IGNORING their customers and give a NON-BETA server. That’s it. Instead of making another 64k or w/e client for windows, why not have a NON-BETA mac alongside a NON-BETA windows client? Equality might be a hard stretch, but don’t make it so kitten unequal that some users get multiple clients to choose from while others have none.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I love how people are dismissing some of the OP’s valid reasons. Some are opinions, but those are also valid reasons for giving up the game. The other things the OP is saying though are completely reasonable. The dungeon nerf complaint is spot on. There is zero reason to have nerfed dungeons from a player’s perspective. ArenaNet killed rewards in dungeons to funnel all of us into what they want us doing. That’s terrible.

ArenaNet killed rewards for Fractals and gated rewards in Fractals behind the Mastery system. You have to own HoT to be properly rewarded in Fractals. On top of it, the quickest way to earn Fractal Masteries wasn’t by doing Fractals. It was by grinding mobs in dungeons. Did you have to do that? No. But if Fractals were the content youw anted to be playing, it was the quickest way. They never even thought it through and now Fractal players have to wait until two months after release because ArenaNet couldn’t implement a well-thought out system for Fractal Masteries. That’s awful.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

YaYa.5879

• Elite Specializations – You do realize it was originally set to 400 hero points for unlock!!! The community got fired up and ANet compromised at 250 which means capping all hero challenges on the first two maps and then picking up a few more on the third or going back to core game and picking up missing hero challenges

Dude, again it’s with the execution. How cool would it have been if we had some lore behind the elite specializations. For exemple, with the dragon hunter, we have in the story, braham (guardian) picking up eir’s bow. And SPOILER, his mother being killed by the dragon, he becomes a dragon hunter. And you playing a guardian you learn with him. Or for exemple the asura ingeneer. SHe lacks materials, so she starts picking up stuff from the wreckage in order to creat thise little drones used by the engi’s elite.
(haven’t completed the story yet, so maybe that happens but i surely doubt it)

But no “here’s the game, you have random elit specs. grind points for each characters and it’s yours”

(edited by YaYa.5879)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Which is why you should have gotten yourself a windows, you can run windows on mac. Most desktop games have windows as primary focus though it is true that anet is at fault here for not able to deliver, especially since they mentioned that mac is supported though they can argue that it is supported but didn’t say it is playable. Well, that’s a scam if they said it that way.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

TLDR; Get a PC! PROBLEM SOLVED! Not sure if Anet will transfer your account though.

Your account is usable on Mac and PC, no transfer is needed.

Raziel.4216

About the grind mentality …….the way of leveling has changed dramatically in HoT and if you read the forum …..the majority of people DON’T like it ….so it’s an Anet’s problem !!!

Majority of people? Cute.
Please provide your objective and verifiable source, no, those few topics you saw and your friends + guildmates are not “the majority” of the playerbase.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

See, here is a problem … do ALL Mac users have a product that’s broken?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Do not know if all but on forum many Mac player say big problem with Mac client and get worse.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-we-please-get-a-working-Mac-Client-Merged/

;)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Do not know if all but on forum many Mac player say big problem with Mac client and get worse.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-we-please-get-a-working-Mac-Client-Merged/

Yes so … my point is that if it’s not working for a fraction of Mac users (just like only a fraction of PC users were crashing until 64 bit release), then is it really the product that’s broken or the platform it’s being used on? Is the blame REALLY with Anet here? Obviously they want it to work on all machines, so it’s a little ridiculous to blame Anet.

Qugi.2653

Yes so … my point is that if it’s not working for a fraction of Mac users (just like only a fraction of PC users were crashing until 64 bit release), then is it really the product that’s broken or the platform it’s being used on? Is the blame REALLY with Anet here? Obviously they want it to work on all machines, so it’s a little ridiculous to blame Anet.

You do not follow history of Mac beta client and how client now worse than ever even when Anet say it work on HoT sale page. How Anet many times promise new Mac specialist that disappear. How many time they say will fix and nothing happen. Will not argue with you about this because you do not know history. Probably did not even read all that thread or any of it.

I will post this screen capture as only response because what many Mac customer see it is not true. We do not know how many Mac customer never post on forum and just give up on broke client.

Attachments:

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

“Dear ANet: Why I’m logging off today. I played the game a lot the past few days and I got kind of burnt out.”

You’re playing the game wrong. It’s ENTIRELY in your hands when it comes to grind or no grind in this game.

I’ve played this game grindy many times, it’s in my nature after having played games like Aion and before that the ridiculously grindy SilkRoad Online.

But then I get burnt out for grinding. There’s an amazing solution though. Stop caring about progression. Just log into a character and start playing something you haven’t done before. A dungeon, a storyline, leisurely map completion.

This game requires no grind. When you start to feel like you’re grinding, you only need to stop caring about that ultimate reward thing, realize it won’t enhance your gameplay THAT much no matter what it is, and just play without thinking about the value of your time and energy spent in game. Because it’s a game after all. Your time is being completely wasted every time you log in.

To stop feeling grind, stop grinding. In GW2, it’s actually that easy!

P.S. It’s entirely on you if you game on a Mac. Apple likes to act like the world revolves around them, but that seems to rub off on some of its users who start to believe the world should revolve around Mac… makes no sense.

Don’t complain that ANet doesn’t program the client twice just for you. Every other marketed consumer computer besides Macs can function using a common set of languages. Macs require an entirely different programming approach and programmers have to pay Apple for the privilege of even programming in their special Apple code. (Apple certification B.S.)

If you have a problem with the Mac client, complain to Apple, not to ANet or any other developers, for not being willing to play nicely with everyone else.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Qugi.2653

If you have a problem with the Mac client, complain to Apple, not to ANet or any other developers, for not being willing to play nicely with everyone else.

Anet say HoT work with Mac client. Sell game to Mac customer and say work, But many say do not and client worse than ever.. Anet should not advertise it work when do not. Bold letter here to make point like you.

Even Anet admit Mac clint is bad.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/64-bit-Client-Beta-FAQ/page/4#post5721220

I think in general we don’t tend to drop the beta tag until we’re completely satisfied with how it runs. That just hasn’t happened yet for the Mac client, for multiple reasons. I realize it won’t make much of a difference at this point, but we sincerely do intend to get it from being barely an okay experience to at the very least a good one, with the goal being a great one. As all good things though, it will take time.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Raziel.4216

Anet say HoT work with Mac client. Sell game to Mac customer and say work, But many say do not and client worse than ever.. Anet should not advertise it work when do not. Bold letter here to make point like you.

And for many it works.
Do you have an objective and verifiable source to claim that it doesn’t work for most mac users?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s truly mind-blowing the lengths people will go to deny that their choice of game could possibly be at fault sometimes. It’s almost like there are people roving the forums just looking for someone to jump on and say, “Gotch you! It’s all your fault!”

Probably projection, I’m guessing. Lot of guilt-ridden people browsing the forums. In my experience, those who simply take responsibility for their actions aren’t much the type to preach at others to do the same. They are more concerned with the dirt on their own porch. It’s the ones who secretly don’t take responsibility who are looking for someone to project their own problems onto.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

LOL except it has been almost a month since this was released. And this post isn’t only about the constant crashing. It’s also about the nex mentality of the game.
“Hey, come to maguma, see our stuff, we have raids. Dungeons are dead we killed them, fractals are garbage since the rewards have been nerfs. Come to maguma you have no choice.”

Fractal rewards are being fixed in December. Complaining about something with a fix already in the pipeline is a waste of everyone’s time.

YaYa.5879

And for many it works.
Do you have an objective and verifiable source to claim that it doesn’t work for most mac users?

YES
Now again don’t take 45€ of mac users, if the game isn’t working on a mac

Attachments:

YaYa.5879

Fractal rewards are being fixed in December. Complaining about something with a fix already in the pipeline is a waste of everyone’s time.

Hm i wonder why instead of fixing it right now they are waiting until december.
Maybe it’s to force us to go to raids. (Which is dumb because i don’t need forcing to go to new content)

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

HoT is not a grind, you made it by wanting everything immediately.
Instead why woudln’t you just explore, do stuff and events, clear achievements and do story? I’m 1 month in, basically al masteries unlocked and never felt the grind.

Also: can i haz ur stuff plz?

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m 1 month in, basically al masteries unlocked and never felt the grind.

Everyone’s experience is different.

And no, you can’t have anything because he’s already given it all to me.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

HoT is not a grind, you made it by wanting everything immediately.
Instead why woudln’t you just explore, do stuff and events, clear achievements and do story? I’m 1 month in, basically al masteries unlocked and never felt the grind.

Where the hell do people get off with this notion that it’s the player’s responsibility to figure out how to enjoy the game. How far have we fallen from classic video games?

Ocarina of Time isn’t one of my favorite games because I played it the right way, or changed my mindset so that I would enjoy it. It’s one of my favorite games because from start to finish, it exuded playful joy at every turn.

But these modern games, they condition you to focus on the grind. You try to put it on this guy, but the game pulls your eyes to the numbers at every turn. Pulls your eyes to the currency costs and coin gain and mat requirements. I don’t know how anyone “ignores the grind” in a game like GW2 other than through active forgetfulness. Like self-induced memory loss or something.

I can only assume it’s a matter of playing with other people in such a way that the presence of those people distracts you from the gameplay. Because if you pay full attention to the gameplay, the numbers are in your face all the time. They call that “good UI design,” ha.

Seems like nowadays the average consumer of video games wouldn’t know quality if it bit them in the neck and stayed there. Somehow people have been hoodwinked into believing that it’s their responsibility (and by extension, other peoples’ responsibility) to enjoy the product, and not the product’s responsibility to deliver.

I feel old talking about this, even though I’m not. It feels like there’s a generation of gamers that has replaced the one I was once a part of. Some of them even people who played back in the day, but have forgotten what it was like. The new generation is desperate to prove to themselves and everybody else that games are amazing right now. Because they so want to believe it, in the way that the guy who paid $20 for a theater ticket wants to believe that what they just watched was good, even if it was crap.

Some days, I really feel like a stranger here.

Or words to that effect.