Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

forum page bug………….

Or words to that effect.

Dear Anet: why i leave the game

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I feel old talking about this, even though I’m not. It feels like there’s a generation of gamers that has replaced the one I was once a part of. Some of them even people who played back in the day, but have forgotten what it was like. The new generation is desperate to prove to themselves and everybody else that games are amazing right now. Because they so want to believe it, in the way that the guy who paid $20 for a theater ticket wants to believe that what they just watched was good, even if it was crap.

Some days, I really feel like a stranger here.

This, this, this, this, this….

+1

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

HoT is not a grind, you made it by wanting everything immediately.
Instead why woudln’t you just explore, do stuff and events, clear achievements and do story? I’m 1 month in, basically al masteries unlocked and never felt the grind.

Also: can i haz ur stuff plz?

Where the hell do people get off with this notion that it’s the player’s responsibility to figure out how to enjoy the game. How far have we fallen from classic video games?

Ocarina of Time isn’t one of my favorite games because I played it the right way, or changed my mindset so that I would enjoy it. It’s one of my favorite games because from start to finish, it exuded playful joy at every turn.

But these modern games, they condition you to focus on the grind. You try to put it on this guy, but the game pulls your eyes to the numbers at every turn. Pulls your eyes to the currency costs and coin gain and mat requirements. I don’t know how anyone “ignores the grind” in a game like GW2 other than through active forgetfulness. Like self-induced memory loss or something.

I can only assume it’s a matter of playing with other people in such a way that the presence of those people distracts you from the gameplay. Because if you pay full attention to the gameplay, the numbers are in your face all the time. They call that “good UI design,” ha.

Seems like nowadays the average consumer of video games wouldn’t know quality if it bit them in the neck and stayed there. Somehow people have been hoodwinked into believing that it’s their responsibility (and by extension, other peoples’ responsibility) to enjoy the product, and not the product’s responsibility to deliver.

I feel old talking about this, even though I’m not. It feels like there’s a generation of gamers that has replaced the one I was once a part of. Some of them even people who played back in the day, but have forgotten what it was like. The new generation is desperate to prove to themselves and everybody else that games are amazing right now. Because they so want to believe it, in the way that the guy who paid $20 for a theater ticket wants to believe that what they just watched was good, even if it was crap.

Uhm can’t comment on Ocarina since I haven’t played it but I do have played many games since more than 15y now, so I guess I have a pretty good measure.

Anyway there some things people need to remember.

First, GW2 IS an MMO, which means that the playtime is usually more than lenght of the content. How? Repetition? MMOs are not single player games, if you step into an MMO there are few things that will always be there, otherwise they might be a SIM. Repetition of the content is a base, and is not evil per se, depends on how you use it.
Old school MMOs forced you grind in order to level up, gear up because those are needed and the time to spend before access some content was in some cases weeks (not kidding). This is bad grind. In GW2 the access to the content even if is gated with masteries or elite specs or in primis by needing to be lv80 is incredibly fast. Yeah, you still need a bit of work.
And that’s another pillar in the MMO genre, working towards goals. What makes me stick to GW2 is that the goal is totally personal and free and i can set whatever i want, not in other MMOs where basically your goal is to grind and get equipment to access next piece of content.
So repetition and goal. If you don’t like them, there’s no way you gonna like fully an MMO.
Now OP setted a goal, to unlock all e-specs as fast as possible basically disregarding all the content around that was build to take you there eventually but with fun.
Sure OP has the freedom to choose what it likes but then he has to take responsability if it doesnt works out. Like “hey! I’m playing COD and all I want to do is making jumping puzzle in the levels, I don’t care to shoot people! Oh I can’t do that? kitten COD sucks”. That’s the level of the rant I see here around.

Now if you wanna talk about bugs, quality/quantity of the story, how certain things work I’m all ears.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Gaaroth.2567

I’m 1 month in, basically al masteries unlocked and never felt the grind.

Everyone’s experience is different.

And no, you can’t have anything because he’s already given it all to me.

DAAAAAAMN

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Love some of the comments blaming the user for his broken product.

You can’t choose where you’re born and what you’re born as, but you do choose to be a Mac user :P

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Instead why woudln’t you just explore, do stuff and events, clear achievements and do story? I’m 1 month in, basically al masteries unlocked and never felt the grind.

Where the hell do people get off with this notion that it’s the player’s responsibility to figure out how to enjoy the game. How far have we fallen from classic video games?

Ocarina of Time isn’t one of my favorite games because I played it the right way, or changed my mindset so that I would enjoy it. It’s one of my favorite games because from start to finish, it exuded playful joy at every turn.

But these modern games, they condition you to focus on the grind. You try to put it on this guy, but the game pulls your eyes to the numbers at every turn. Pulls your eyes to the currency costs and coin gain and mat requirements. I don’t know how anyone “ignores the grind” in a game like GW2 other than through active forgetfulness. Like self-induced memory loss or something.

I can only assume it’s a matter of playing with other people in such a way that the presence of those people distracts you from the gameplay. Because if you pay full attention to the gameplay, the numbers are in your face all the time. They call that “good UI design,” ha.

Seems like nowadays the average consumer of video games wouldn’t know quality if it bit them in the neck and stayed there. Somehow people have been hoodwinked into believing that it’s their responsibility (and by extension, other peoples’ responsibility) to enjoy the product, and not the product’s responsibility to deliver.

Everything revolves around money. The game is structured to encourage you to spend money in the gem store, because money is required to produce such an elaborate virtual world.

If it wasn’t for money more games would be just as creative and unique and fun as the games of old. But that’s the current system.

You said:
“Where the hell do people get off with this notion that it’s the player’s responsibility to figure out how to enjoy the game. How far have we fallen from classic video games?”

At this current state of the game market, it unfortunately IS the player’s responsibility to not go along with the guidance the corporate hands that are perpetually resting their palms on our wallets. It’s the players responsibility to resist the urge to be a rampant consumer and play the game like it’s a job, because the producers who have a leash around creativity’s neck sure aren’t going to take responsibility.

It’s the state of the world. People have to make a conscious choice about what and how to actually enjoy their free time, because modern society’s values are entrenched in capital gain and productivity, and if anyone goes with that mechanical flow they’re just going to keep falling into the grind mentality that makes them tend to treat even their leisure time like a full-time job. Happens to me sometimes. Happens to most of us.

If you want your classic games without all the stress and brimming with fun, you’ll have to wait for artists and creative minds to escape out from under the weight of the imaginary numbers MMOG we call “the economy”. :P

lol it’s late at night.

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

I’d like to get back to the technical aspect here – the Mac client is Beta and I do believe, that it is ANet’s fault, especially when talking about Mac computers, because Apple has dedicated hardware, there is no such thing as mixed hardware components like with most Windows PCs that are customized from the ground up. With a Mac they could test easily on the same environment a user has and they have the resources to do so (c’mon, I’ve heard this game is played by millions, so do the math: 45 EUR x several millions = how much money you get?).

It’s the same reason why they could easily afford to build a Linux client, but they simply don’t want to. They say the community is not big enough, but I assure you the community would grow exponentially if vendors started making native Linux clients. VALVe’s Steam is a great example and Steam machines will rock!

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If you have a problem with the Mac client, complain to Apple, not to ANet or any other developers, for not being willing to play nicely with everyone else.

Anet say HoT work with Mac client. Sell game to Mac customer and say work, But many say do not and client worse than ever.. Anet should not advertise it work when do not. Bold letter here to make point like you.

Even Anet admit Mac clint is bad.

And for many it works.
Do you have an objective and verifiable source to claim that it doesn’t work for most mac users?

Exactly. So what is the difference between the people who’s Mac works and those who don’t? It’s not the game …

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

If you have a problem with the Mac client, complain to Apple, not to ANet or any other developers, for not being willing to play nicely with everyone else.

Anet say HoT work with Mac client. Sell game to Mac customer and say work, But many say do not and client worse than ever.. Anet should not advertise it work when do not. Bold letter here to make point like you.

And for many it works.
Do you have an objective and verifiable source to claim that it doesn’t work for most mac users?

No and you do not have source say it work for many.

I do have Anet dev say they know it is bad product.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/64-bit-Client-Beta-FAQ/page/4#post5721220

I think in general we don’t tend to drop the beta tag until we’re completely satisfied with how it runs. That just hasn’t happened yet for the Mac client, for multiple reasons. I realize it won’t make much of a difference at this point, but we sincerely do intend to get it from being barely an okay experience to at the very least a good one, with the goal being a great one. As all good things though, it will take time.

I do know if they say on Mac sale page “barely an okay experience” I would not buy it. But sale page say it work well.

I do know I have 3 Mac. All could play game on most medium setting. About half year ago some thing happen to client. Big FPS drop and many graphic error that never happen before even when change to every setting lowest. This same time many other Mac customer post about about new problem.

Edit: I just see in last patch note Anet make fix for Mac client. Will see how work. But to people say not problem with Mac client it do show is because Anet try to make fix.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

LOL except it has been almost a month since this was released. And this post isn’t only about the constant crashing. It’s also about the nex mentality of the game.
“Hey, come to maguma, see our stuff, we have raids. Dungeons are dead we killed them, fractals are garbage since the rewards have been nerfs. Come to maguma you have no choice.”

Fractal rewards are being fixed in December. Complaining about something with a fix already in the pipeline is a waste of everyone’s time.

Hm i wonder why instead of fixing it right now they are waiting until december.
Maybe it’s to force us to go to raids. (Which is dumb because i don’t need forcing to go to new content)

Or maybe because they actually do have to test changes, and making the changes puts it on a test server of some kind. They don’t make any changes to the main code without it going to a test server.

What you think some guy just edits this stuff on his lunch hour? lol

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

Or maybe because they actually do have to test changes, and making the changes puts it on a test server of some kind. They don’t make any changes to the main code without it going to a test server.

It’s probably super hard too to revert the drop rate to pre HoT’s one. They are not super heroes. They need to test stuff before releasing a patch full of bugs.

Please, be kind with them, it’s not like you spent money to play HoT… oh wait.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s probably super hard too to revert the drop rate to pre HoT’s one. They are not super heroes. They need to test stuff before releasing a patch full of bugs.

Please, be kind with them, it’s not like you spent money to play HoT… oh wait.

Whether you spent money to play HoT or not, really has nothing to do with it. People want changes tested, because changes affect things. Because if there are bugs, or Anet doesn’t see stuff (and in a game this complex that has to happen), then people will complain.

Anet doesn’t make a decision to make a change and drop everything. They have a list, they make changes, they go down the list.

This idea that you paid for an MMO so changes can be made immediately is ridiculous.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

I’d like to get back to the technical aspect here – the Mac client is Beta and I do believe, that it is ANet’s fault, especially when talking about Mac computers, because Apple has dedicated hardware, there is no such thing as mixed hardware components like with most Windows PCs that are customized from the ground up. With a Mac they could test easily on the same environment a user has and they have the resources to do so (c’mon, I’ve heard this game is played by millions, so do the math: 45 EUR x several millions = how much money you get?).

It’s the same reason why they could easily afford to build a Linux client, but they simply don’t want to. They say the community is not big enough, but I assure you the community would grow exponentially if vendors started making native Linux clients. VALVe’s Steam is a great example and Steam machines will rock!

Yes, lets talk about the Mac BETA still. Literally do not have an official server BUT they advertise to Mac users too sooo … windows get 2 non-beta clients and mac gets 0 non-beta clients when they’re BOTH being advertised to.

I DO BELIEVE it is Anet’s problem and before they fix other bugs, fix THIS.

Gaaroth.2567

Everything revolves around money. The game is structured to encourage you to spend money in the gem store, because money is required to produce such an elaborate virtual world.

If it wasn’t for money more games would be just as creative and unique and fun as the games of old. But that’s the current system.

You said:
“Where the hell do people get off with this notion that it’s the player’s responsibility to figure out how to enjoy the game. How far have we fallen from classic video games?”

At this current state of the game market, it unfortunately IS the player’s responsibility to not go along with the guidance the corporate hands that are perpetually resting their palms on our wallets. It’s the players responsibility to resist the urge to be a rampant consumer and play the game like it’s a job, because the producers who have a leash around creativity’s neck sure aren’t going to take responsibility.

It’s the state of the world. People have to make a conscious choice about what and how to actually enjoy their free time, because modern society’s values are entrenched in capital gain and productivity, and if anyone goes with that mechanical flow they’re just going to keep falling into the grind mentality that makes them tend to treat even their leisure time like a full-time job. Happens to me sometimes. Happens to most of us.

If you want your classic games without all the stress and brimming with fun, you’ll have to wait for artists and creative minds to escape out from under the weight of the imaginary numbers MMOG we call “the economy”. :P

lol it’s late at night.

Man I couldn’t say this better. Bravo.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

And for many it works.

YES
Now again don’t take 45€ of mac users, if the game isn’t working on a mac

So we have a topic with 458 replies, now where’s your source to claim that 458 players are a representative % of Mac users? Remember this game has 7m accounts, 458 is 0.006% of that. Even with Mac as a very small minority in computer gaming I bet we have more than that % of Mac users.
Still waiting on that source, your whole argument relies on that yet you haven’t provided it.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Raziel.4216

And for many it works.

That’s why I don’t claim it works for the majority of the Mac users.
I’m simply calling out the claims of these “avatars of the silent majority” that somehow know what works and what doesn’t for thousands of players without providing a reliable source.
There’s a big difference between it doesn’t work for me and the people I know and it doesn’t work for most people.

Posted by: typographie.1742

typographie.1742

Edit : Yes i play on a mac, But i still paid good money for a game which was “Mac Compatible”.
Now that i spent 45€ for the game, 45€ for the expension you can’t tell me : "oh thanks for your money but the mac version isn’t made for this game (because i had no probleme before HOT).

To be fair, Arenanet has claimed the Mac version is a beta openly and publicly. The fact that it’s been left in beta for years while taking money for it is certainly worthy of criticism, but it’s equally true you had access to that information before you decided to spend 90€ to play it.

Minx.7521

Once again. 2 non-beta clients for windows. 0 non-beta clients for macs. STOP ADVERTISING THAT IT IS MAC USEABLE WHEN IT CLEARLY ISN’T B/C OF CRASHING AND D/C IF YOU’RE KEEPING IT IN BETA ANET.

Qugi.2653

And for many it works.

That’s why I don’t claim it works for the majority of the Mac users.
I’m simply calling out the claims of these “avatars of the silent majority” that somehow know what works and what doesn’t for thousands of players without providing a reliable source.
There’s a big difference between it doesn’t work for me and the people I know and it doesn’t work for most people.

I see you do not include rest of my post on the topic that have information about this Mac problem. Like the part where Anet dev admit client is bad. I see you just want to be person, “I will argue on forum about thing not affect me because important to people I never will know I think I am right.”

I will not argue with you about this to make you feel better about you self. Have a nice day.

;)

Raziel.4216

The rest of your post did not provide the source requested, I’d rather avoid page-long quotes.
Still waiting on that source, but it looks like you don’t have one.
Since you don’t have a source and I’m calling you out on it, you resort to personal attacks, expected behavior of someone who’s unable to back up his claims

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Qugi.2653

The rest of your post did not provide the source requested, I’d rather avoid page-long quotes.
Since you don’t have a source and I’m calling you out on it, you resort to personal attacks, expected behavior of someone who’s unable to back up his claims

Never said there was source. Never claim was source. Not an attack on you just truth. I know many forum people like you. Think to much about you self. Want to argue just to argue because feel important to be right. So to make you feel good for the day because I am nice person you are right. Last reply to you. Have a good day.

;)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Once again. 2 non-beta clients for windows. 0 non-beta clients for macs. STOP ADVERTISING THAT IT IS MAC USEABLE WHEN IT CLEARLY ISN’T B/C OF CRASHING AND D/C IF YOU’RE KEEPING IT IN BETA ANET.

What two non-beta for windows? I only see one….

Minx.7521

regular + 64bit (both non-beta)

Serophous.9085

regular + 64bit (both non-beta)

Whoa whoa whoa…

You mean the button that says “Windows 64-bit [BETA]” isn’t BETA?!

Mind…blown….

Minx.7521

Where’s mac 64-bit beta/alpha/whatever?

Serophous.9085

Where’s mac 64-bit beta/alpha/whatever?

coming soon, but you’ll have to buy a whole new mac, new plugs, new attachments, and so on.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sorry you’re not enjoying the game. Personally, the US$50 was worth it just for gliding. And mushrooms.

I’d be upset, too, if my game crashed all the time, so maybe it’s worth double checking your rig (I know my old one fell apart, due to temperature issues). However, the other issues you mention are more a matter of perspective. So far, I haven’t done any grinding. Between one thing and another, my masteries and HP are accumulating just fine. For me, there’s just too much to explore/do/learn to focus on just one thing. I’m also not in a rush — HoT launched less than 4 weeks ago; there’s plenty of time (for me) to finish “leveling up”.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Raziel.4216

Never said there was source. Never claim was source. Not an attack on you just truth. I know many forum people like you. Think to much about you self. Want to argue just to argue because feel important to be right. So to make you feel good for the day because I am nice person you are right. Last reply to you. Have a good day.

Another attack.
Still unable to provide a source for the baseless claim that’s been called out.

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You said:

lol it’s late at night.

I call bull tho. Not only can you vote with your wallet, you can vote with your voice. Being defeatist and hoping that the artsy types will one day break free of corporate greed is wishful thinking. If you see the problem and agree there is one, you can make your voice heard on it.

It’s sort of like voting… if half the people assume their votes are useless and don’t bother, then the other half’s votes actually do become kinda useless. Every additional vote is another step closer to them being meaningful.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

As far as the client goes A-Net shipped a client they knew was not stable. They knew it and they shipped it anyway, then a couple of weeks later “fixed” it with a 64 bit client. Sort of. There is still no 64 bit client for Mac and the game is not reliable on the 32-bit client for Mac or PC.

I don’t believe there is any way they could have missed the RAM errors in beta testing. They knew, and they shipped anyway. What they have done with the MAC client, selling it as workable without providing any fix at all, is horrid. The OP has every right be be upset and ready to move on with the current state of the game.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

I’d say take a break and keep watching for patches to improve on your list of grievances. Your not totally wrong there are issues.

This. what mmo doesn’t have bugs, issues, and balancing acts to fix on launch? If anything this gw2 expac was done quite smoothly compared to wow. Even big console games like assassins creed are still filled with bugs years later.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

And for many it works.

YES

So we have a topic with 458 replies, now where’s your source to claim that 458 players are a representative % of Mac users? Remember this game has 7m accounts, 458 is 0.006% of that. Even with Mac as a very small minority in computer gaming I bet we have more than that % of Mac users.
Still waiting on that source, your whole argument relies on that yet you haven’t provided it.

7m accounts don’t mean 7m players heck i bet this game has less than 250k active players at any 1 time less now with H.O.T and then you got to count the ftp accounts to… better thing to ask is How many copy’s did hot sell ? not many or else they would be advertising things like 4mil pre orders 1mil sold in first week so so company’s love that

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

I’d say take a break and keep watching for patches to improve on your list of grievances. Your not totally wrong there are issues.

This. what mmo doesn’t have bugs, issues, and balancing acts to fix on launch? If anything this gw2 expac was done quite smoothly compared to wow. Even big console games like assassins creed are still filled with bugs years later.

Oh there are bugs lots of them DS has been buggy as heck for the last few days collections broken so so
still what they meant by smooth is not clogged log in -kinda hard with so few players

Raziel.4216

And for many it works.

YES

7m accounts don’t mean 7m players heck i bet this game has less than 250k active players at any 1 time less now with H.O.T and then you got to count the ftp accounts to… better thing to ask is How many copy’s did hot sell ? not many or else they would be advertising things like 4mil pre orders 1mil sold in first week so so company’s love that

We know there were 3.5m paid accounts b4 f2p, so that’s at least 3.5m users
But that’s irrelevant to the point made in my post, even if it was just 10 players, the people who claim they know what works and doesn’t for the rest would still have to provide a valid source.

(edited by Raziel.4216)