Dear ArenaNet (not a complaint this time)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

It’s customary to only head to the forums when one has something to complain about. I did just that recently with the Hero Points which I felt were prohibitive and oddly counter to how the rest of the game has been PvE-wise so far. I was happy you decided to lower the HP necessary to fully unlock the elite specialization, but I still would’ve liked to see another approach to it: masteries feel like enough progression as it is to me.

But with that said, that’s not why I decided to make a thread this time. This one is just simply to say that I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the expansion, even counting the whole HP thing. The new maps are truly amazing, even Tangled Depths which I still get lost in continuously. I love the designs, the verticality, the events and the inherent challenges in navigating them.

I never finished the “original” personal story on any of my characters. I got very distracted early on with WvW (my favorite gamemode which I hope could see a resurgence in players) and PvP. But I did go through the HoT personal story because I really enjoyed how it was told. It felt more interactive and “alive” to me, with dialogue happening as I ran along with my crew instead of stopping everything up (like the previously used dialogue scenes did), and the scenarios were simply a lot of fun to play through. So in short the PvE content has dragged a primarily PvP player back into that aspect of the game and I’ve been loving it.

I’ll be honest: I had sort of lost faith for a while. HoT didn’t sound like something I would enjoy. But knowing the history of the game I took the chance, and I am so glad I did. I might be what you’d call a veteran, with 1 000+ hours logged in game since launch. I know that’s not much compared to many on my friends list, but at least it can’t be said I’m new to it. But I’d just like to for once come to the forums and just say that I loved what you made here, and I hope you keep going with this kind of conviction and confidence in what you’re making, because you know what you’re doing.

Thank you for all the hours of fun so far and for all the hours to come.

Posted by: Kobra X.6903

Kobra X.6903

When these guys (Anet) see a complaint, they delete it. I guess they figure if no one can see that many people are upset, they can get away with not acknowledging the short comings of this “full size expansion”. Im doing nothing wrong here. Im expressing my opinions.

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

I wasn’t expecting to find much to enjoy in HoT. I was in two minds for a while whether to buy it at all but after nine months with no new content I figured anything was better than nothing.

To my great surprise it’s turned out to be enormous fun. I’ve played just about every available hour since launch and had a great time. It feels like a proper expansion in that it expands my options within the game for the foreseeable future without invalidating what was already there.

There are plenty of design choices I’d prefer were different and some I hope may yet be changed. It could use a little more smoothing out but that will come in time. On balance and compared with many expansions I’ve played in other MMOs I feel HoT is a solid addition to the game.

Now get cracking on the next one

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

When these guys (Anet) see a complaint, they delete it. I guess they figure if no one can see that many people are upset, they can get away with not acknowledging the short comings of this “full size expansion”. Im doing nothing wrong here. Im expressing my opinions.

They didn’t delete the hero point topic. Kinda blows that theory outta the water.

Posted by: Kobra X.6903

Kobra X.6903

They didn’t delete the hero point topic. Kinda blows that theory outta the water.

Its not a theory, they did this

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Its not a theory, they did this

They merge topics a lot. There is the occasional deletion, I’m sure, but only if something is unnecessarily rude and incendiary. I have never seen a well-mannered complaint topic disappear.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

I agree with the OP! At first, I was disoriented and off-put by the mastery levelling mechanics, but now, after few days, I am really enjoying my way around the jungle. I still haven’t completely discovered the first map, probably did only few event lines (none of them completely), and yet I am on my 5th mastery level already and each unlock adds something of value to the game. The level design is simply fantastic, and so are the events. I do not feel like grinding anything, just exploring. Great job Anet!

When they see people ranting like little children, they delete it (which is absolutely correct). I have been closely following the forums for several days now and I never seen a single constructive thread or post deleted.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I don’t understand people who go around saying things like “I lost faith” in a video game.. Like, what? Seriously, what are you even talking about? If you’re tired of a game, stop playing it, but there’s no reason to be so melodramatic. Just because you got bored doesn’t mean a kitten thing. Honestly, are you even supposed to have faith in a video game studio? Do you think that “trusting” them with… something (what?) earns you some kind of reward? That you deserve something good in return? Or that they deserve your “faith” at all? It’s pure lunacy. Play games you like, don’t play games you don’t like. Pretty simple.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

I don’t understand people who go around saying things like “I lost faith” in a video game.. Like, what?.

Let me clarify then: what I personally mean by this is that for a game such a GW2, the game is constantly evolving. Even before HoT the game had become quite different from how it was when it launched. The skill trees were completely redesigned in function and form, the skill acquisition method has become linear rather than multiple choices along the way like it used to, and WvW has gotten too little love over the years.

An MMO usually evolves over time. Sometimes it changes into something you enjoy less than its previous versions, but you may still hold onto “faith” that the studio behind the game is just feeling their way and may yet bring it in a direction that more aligns with your preferences. The preferences that made you love the game to begin with.