Dev Question: Accumulated skill points

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Q:

Since the mastery system is replacing the skillgain from experience, what will happen to accumulated skillpoints when the expansion rolls out? Will they get turned into mastery points (please say no)?

How will getting skill points after the expansion work? What mechanism is available so players can continuously get skillpoints?

Honestly, ‘Skill points will be added as rewards across high-level content to offset this change.’ sounds an awful lot like ‘Skill points are now dungeon rewards’, which would be terrible. Are they added to Orr event rewards or something?

What I’m asking for is details of how the system is going to work, because it impacts how I play now. If accumulated skill points are transformed to mastery points, I’ll spend them all now. If it’s harder to get skill points – which is almost certainly going to be true, because anything would be harder than now – I’ll stockpile them or the products of using them because those will be more valuable.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

There’s nothing that says skill points will turn into mastery points, so it’s pretty safe to assume they won’t.

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

What Lapis Lazuli said.

I’m pretty sure skillpoints will be separate from mastery points altogether.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

They said they’d be putting in alternate sources of skill points to offset the loss of getting one per level ding post 80. Ergo, you’ll still have your skill points and can get more.

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

Scrolls of Knowledge will still give SP. Tomes will likely give skill points to level 80s (rather than a level). WvW will not have the mastery bar either, so you might be able to get skill points from leveling there.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Gilosean.3805

Yeah, none of you are actually answering my question. You can’t – that’s why I put ‘Dev Question’ in the title.

What I’m asking for is details of how the system is going to work, because it impacts how I play now. If accumulated skill points are transformed to mastery points, I’ll spend them all now. If it’s harder to get skill points – which is almost certainly going to be true, because anything would be harder than now – I’ll stockpile them or the products of using them because those will be more valuable.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

they did say that higher level content would reward skill points specifically to offset the balance. what that means in laymens terms, Idk. My concern is will scrolls still give the skill points,or become useless after hot is released.
like glory boosters, if you didn’t use them all before that one patch they became junk. will the same happen to those scrolls.
also, no, accumulated skill points won’t become mastery points.

Lazaar.9123

Yeah, none of you are actually answering my question. You can’t – that’s why I put ‘Dev Question’ in the title.

Well, all an ArenaNet staff member is really going to do is collect the question to maybe answer in a blog post at a later date.

Gilosean.3805

Well, all an ArenaNet staff member is really going to do is collect the question to maybe answer in a blog post at a later date.

We get devs answering questions in the forums. It’s not super likely, but I definitely want to get this question on their radar. It impacts how I play until the expansion arrives.

Posted by: GreenAlien.5623

GreenAlien.5623

They wont get transformed to mastery points. They are not taking skill points out of the game. You still need them for unlocking skills and mystic forge stuff. It makes no sense to randomly transform them and many people have thousands of skill points.. Anet doesnt want everyone and their mother to have more mastery points than they will ever need right after release.
So yes, even a non dev can answer that part of the question.

If it will be harder to get new skill points, will be almost entirely up to what content you play. If you only play that “high level content” you will probably soon be sick of Scroll of Knowledge loot.

Lazaar.9123

We get devs answering questions in the forums. It’s not super likely, but I definitely want to get this question on their radar. It impacts how I play until the expansion arrives.

Not about the expansion. Besides, there’s already a thread specifically for the purpose of collecting questions from people.

Gilosean.3805

They wont get transformed to mastery points. They are not taking skill points out of the game. You still need them for unlocking skills and mystic forge stuff. It makes no sense to randomly transform them and many people have thousands of skill points.. Anet doesnt want everyone and their mother to have more mastery points than they will ever need right after release.
So yes, even a non dev can answer that part of the question.

If it will be harder to get new skill points, will be almost entirely up to what content you play. If you only play that “high level content” you will probably soon be sick of Scroll of Knowledge loot.

I would have said the trait changes made no sense either, but they happened. I don’t try to predict what ANet will do.

As someone who doesn’t find the current higher level content all that fun, I want confirmation on what’s coming down the pipe.

Posted by: Akari Kage.1403

Akari Kage.1403

I assume skill points will be integrated in another aspect of the game, for example:
You get 1 skill point per daily dungeon or for each 10 lvl fractal… would make a total 8 or 5 skill days per day… that would be acceptable.

You can all fight dragons, defend against them, protect the weak… I HUNT them (Dragonhunter)!

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I assume skill points will be integrated in another aspect of the game, for example:
You get 1 skill point per daily dungeon or for each 10 lvl fractal… would make a total 8 or 5 skill days per day… that would be acceptable.

Yeah, for dungeon and fractal runs the end reward chest should have skill point scrolls.

Similarly they should add them to open world boss chests, WvW chests and so on. That won’t match the current rate at which you can gain levels but they can add them as rewards for dynamic events and so on.