Did [SPOILER] deserve better?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I actually liked Trehearn, and never understood the complaints against how his character was used, it seemed to make a lot of sense for any narrative with multiple “heroes”.

Still, I think this was a worthy end. Yes, he didn’t get to fight in physical form, but he underwent significant torture from Mordremoth, and survived it all. Without him, they would not have been able to enter the dream and defeat him. I think of all the major characters that faced a setback, his was the strongest by far. He wasn’t corrupted like Faolain, he didn’t betray us like Caithe (I mean when she stole the egg), his death was less of a “punk” death than Eir’s, and he wasn’t worthless like Zojja or Logan.

I think the game did him well.

But Logan’s the leader while Zojja’s the smartest member. I don’t think they’re useless at all. I think Logan will be the second from last one they kill off with Rytlock as the last survivor. I think Logan will die raiding a major inquest lab to save Rytlock from captivity where they’re keeping an elder dragon for research. He succeeds in freeing him but knowing the very slim chance of him doing so alive. Rytlock understands and breaks down crying and is the most prominent and important member of Logan’s funeral.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I hate the Pale Tree.

The Pale Tree is the one that pushed us aside and forced Trahearne into the lead. When he objects, she basically tells him that if he doesn’t do it, nobody can and everyone will die. She then takes the sword, this artifact level weapon, and gives it to him. Not to the player, who’s the far more effective combatant and with such a power boost would be able to clear huge swaths of Orr all alone, but to her precious Firstborn Trahearne. His knowledge could make him a powerful adviser, but being stuck with the sword means he has to take to the front lines if it’s going to be used (as it must be, at least for his Hunt).

Hmm, except he didn’t take the front lines except in cases where it was thought that Caladbolg might actually work. I count that being twice during the Orr campaign – the rest of it the player was bolstering the charge (not quite leading it, but backing everyone up and ensuring success).

It’s debatable if the visions which are meant to draw Trahearne into the role of Pact Marshall are manipulative possible futures or actual envisioning of what happens if he shrugs aside his destiny. (It is debatable when prophecy enters into a story, every time, because there’s always fallacies involved in the prophecy which make it . . . less than clear. See also Glint’s “flawless” Flameseeker Prophecies.)

It’s been shown that she strongly favors her Firstborns, and can be dismissive if not downright negligent of the latter-born sylvari. The Firstborn were her special children, and Trahearne is her most special of all.

I don’t think that’s the case; I think she values all her Firstborn equally, even Faolain despite how twisted she became. Caithe is given enormous trust by the Pale Tree even as she does a very curious and questionable act – taking the egg deep into the jungle’s tangle.

That’s why she pushed us aside and forced him into the leading role. She made him the most powerful man in all of Tyria, even if he didn’t really want to be. In Season 2, she kept secrets that could have saved countless lives, just so he could stay in that position instead of stepping down for a non-sylvari to lead the charge.

I think that’s a very . . . slanted view, which is based on the uneven foundation I pointed out above. I think her keeping those secrets were not to protect Trahearne’s position . . . but all her children, the sylvari race. A very misguided attempt to do so, because the Pale Tree is many things but she is not perfect.

No wonder Scarlet hated her.

Scarlet hated her because of what that rogue learned and saw elsewhere pointing to how the Mother wasn’t telling the whole truth . . . and in that wasn’t preparing her children to resist what would be coming for them.

There’s also the whole Mordremoth taint which was going on, but she was seemingly fighting that to the end.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.