Do i rly must buy GW2 again?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sergiul.3980

Sergiul.3980

Ok. If i want to buy GW2 HoT i need to pay at least xx euros for HoT + Core game.
But i already have core game. My question is what now?
1) Can i just buy em, upgrade my acc and give another core game to my friend?
2) Or maybe just because i already have core game i will receive some extra bonusses like gems or some other stuff?
3) Or i Get HoT for the same prize that new players must pay even if i paid already.
I guess its option number 3. I dunno. But if im right dont u think the another options will be fair choice for the ppl that already own this game?

I dont rly know how it looks but if im wrong i will be happy if someone explain me how this rly look.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

You’re not getting the core game. You must pay howevermany money for HoT. Just HoT.
If you don’t already own the core game, or are just playing the free version, you get the full version thrown into the deal.

If you do already own the full core game, you get a free character slot (or you did during prepurchase – that offer may have ended now)

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

If you do already own the full core game, you get a free character slot (or you did during prepurchase – that offer may have ended now)

Expire was only for prepurchase.

;)

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

The thing is, as I’ve also been upset about this.

The Core game you paid full bucks for in the beginning, is now worth NOTHING.
Why? Because the core has gone F2P. Nobody pays for the Core anymore.

With that said, you only buy for Heart of Thorns.

You see the picture? Even if you never owned a GW2 Account, if you buy HoT you’ll basically get: Core F2P Account + HoT Full Account.

Resulting in an account that can play both Core + HoT without any restrictions.

Hope that helps a bit

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Ok. If i want to buy GW2 HoT i need to pay at least xx euros for HoT + Core game.
2) Or maybe just because i already have core game i will receive some extra bonusses like gems or some other stuff?
3) Or i Get HoT for the same prize that new players must pay even if i paid already.
I guess its option number 3. I dunno. But if im right dont u think the another options will be fair choice for the ppl that already own this game?

I dont rly know how it looks but if im wrong i will be happy if someone explain me how this rly look.

You can look at it with a new light: what you are buying is HoT, no more no less.
Newcomers buying HoT, on the otehr hand, get the core-game for free.

While it may seem unfair, you can think of it as you have played the game for so long and gotten so much out of it. I personally don’t get bothered by it but I know there are people who feel like it is unfair for them to pay and only get HoT while others pay and get HoT and then core-game for free.

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

I like this concept of having to purchase second driver licence for “free” to drive a car that i want to purchase….

I want a bloody expansion for gods sake not base game for a second f-ing time – who normal does that ?

And no, this core game isn’t free its at least 2/3 of “expansion” price right now.

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

I sometimes get the feeling if anet sold HoT and never made vanilla F2P people would have been happier even though it would have cost most new players much more money….

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

And no, this core game isn’t free its at least 2/3 of “expansion” price right now.

wrong. Prior to the expansion release, the core game’s price was at $10 or less on Anet website. Price was reduced overtime over the past 3 years. And now it is free and doesnt affect expansion’s price (exlcuding the leftover stocks from retailers)

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You don’t get an extra Core Game, you just get the upgrade. Or else you make a new account, but that would probably be a bad call.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Jesseii.2097

Jesseii.2097

the expansion itself is 50 dollars. that is what ArenaNet believes the price of their expansion is. you are paying 50 dollars for the expansion, Heart of Thorns. they just throw in the “core game” if you are a new player. this made more sense when the game itself hadn’t yet gone “Free to play”. but even now it’s pretty simple to understand… at least to me anyway.

Posted by: Znake.9762

Znake.9762

I would see it this way, the players who already own the game are buying the expansion.
Those with a F2P account will get a free unlock from their restricted F2P account to a normal account in addition to buying the expansion.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

At this point i’d highly advise you to wait till christmas. There’s bound to be reduced price offers.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Therserion.2798

Therserion.2798

“Hey I bought Skyrim for 50$ when it came out, how comes you can now get it for a 5er?! That´s unfair! And you get the addons for free in the GotY edition! How dare you!”

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

You can start a new account with HoT and Core unlocked and keep your old account as a separate login.
You can give your existing account to your friend and start again from scratch with HoT and core (this might infringe the ToS…)
But you can’t add HoT to your existing account and give away the core part of the HoT purchase. It’s not really a separate part any longer. Think of it as buying one of those “game of the year” editions of games where they bundle core and a couple of expansions in one pack, usually at a similar price to the original game.

Plenty of folks don’t like it but that is just how it is and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

U bought the core game for 3 years ago, meaning u got 3 years of content for a mere 50 bucks. If ur complaint is that u have to buy HoT for another 50 bucks with years of content to come, then ur a cheapy and shouldnt play video games, let alone do any other activity. No other AAA game in this genre offer anything similiar.

Of course they have to make the game cost 50 bucks at all times, it would be stupid to add another 50 bucks for every expansion, none would buy it then. Logic is so hard to find these days.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

The info page in the TP Upgrade page for not-HOT accounts STILL SAYS you get a free character slot, so either you are incorrect or that page is false advertising.

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

wrong. Prior to the expansion release, the core game’s price was at $10 or less on Anet website. Price was reduced overtime over the past 3 years. And now it is free and doesnt affect expansion’s price (exlcuding the leftover stocks from retailers)

Core game isn’t free, with your “free” game you get butchered version of GW2 without acces to all core GW2 features – you need to purchase GW2 in order to have full acces to core game.

So you still pay for your GW2 account when purchasing HoT.

U bought the core game for 3 years ago, meaning u got 3 years of content for a mere 50 bucks. If ur complaint is that u have to buy HoT for another 50 bucks with years of content to come, then ur a cheapy and shouldnt play video games, let alone do any other activity. No other AAA game in this genre offer anything similiar.

Of course they have to make the game cost 50 bucks at all times, it would be stupid to add another 50 bucks for every expansion, none would buy it then. Logic is so hard to find these days.

HoT won’t have content amounts similar to core GW2.
GW2 had at least 6h of personal story (before they butchered it), living world story season 1, season 2 which were HUGE, legendary weapon for every kind (20 or 21), at least 28 maps, fractals, 8 dungeons each with 4 paths – thats for 30 euros – awesome and worth every penny.

HoT has 4 maps, rushed story worth 2h of gameplay, no dungeons, 3 legendaries – thats for 40 euros – awesome… (because this is what 40euro expansion has RIGHT NOW)

HoT doesnt even get you a char slot UNLESS you preordered it and everything is gatetimed or require masteries which require enormous grinding to artificially prelong time spent in “expansion”…
Hell, even guilds were f-up with locking guild boosters and guild bank creating system to HoT owners ONLY – stripped something that was for 3 years in GW2 and make it “exclusive” to HoT owners – now that is a big F you for me and my 2 friends that i play mostly this game with – no more stash for us.

Thats is surely more worth then the base game…

And before you start with “oh they’ll add more content” – they will, yes over time and by then HoT value will decrease like core GW2 value was with the difference that at launch GW2 has kittenload of more content then HoT for less.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I like this concept of having to purchase second driver licence for “free” to drive a car that i want to purchase….

I want a bloody expansion for gods sake not base game for a second f-ing time – who normal does that ?

Terrible example is terrible.

The core game is now free. There is no price for it. So you’re not buying it for a second time.

One of the big problems all MMOs have is natural attrition. Over time, people stop playing. That means that those players have to be replaced from somewhere.

There are already huge barriers to entry for new players to start playing a 3 year old MMO. They’re behind in almost every way. They’ve missed major events. They’ve missed skins and content. They are starting from scratch.

Would you give up everything you’ve made so far to get HoT for $10 cheaper? That’s ridiculous.

So to remove the barrier to entry, many MMOs have removed the need to buy every expansion. They sell the current expansion and anyone can enter for just that price. When a third expansion comes out, those people will get GW 2 and HoT for free. Otherwise you’re asking people to start your game buying three products when they’re already behind.

If WoW and EQ weren’t already doing this maybe you’d have a point, but they area and you don’t.

Posted by: C Gunner.9406

C Gunner.9406

What i cant believe is that i just payed for hot the same price as i did for the core game and it contains 10% of the content. Fools on me.

Posted by: Valentinus.3412

Valentinus.3412

Please search the forum before starting a new topic. This has been hashed out on the forums more than enough times by now. Frankly it’s getting boring.

Posted by: Akijo.7395

Akijo.7395

The newcomers have only been able to play for what, 2 months? The game has been out for 3 years. I’d rather pay that 30$ more and have been able to play for a year than wait till 1 month of HoT and not be ready at all for the HoT cause I’m still trying to figure out what is agony and what is a combo field.

Also MMORPG needs money to stay up in case you had no idea, and expansion cost money too. Capitalism, yo. They can’t just give everything for free you know.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The info page in the TP Upgrade page for not-HOT accounts STILL SAYS you get a free character slot, so either you are incorrect or that page is false advertising.

An upgrade means you will be, well, upgrading your Standard HoT account to a Deluxe HoT account. Deluxe HoT accounts include a character slot. Nothing incorrect or false there.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

What i cant believe is that i just payed for hot the same price as i did for the core game and it contains 10% of the content. Fools on me.

Nobody made you buy HoT. You had a fully-unlocked core game of GW2 beforehand with all the content you had before; if you didn’t like the cost of HoT (because you knew the amount of content they would be releasing) you could have waited 2 years for the next expansion and bought that so you could get HoT for free. I bought it because I don’t feel like the content is lacking. In fact, there’s quite a bit to do; I have barely even gotten through much of the later three maps at this point still. There is also that raid coming out today and future Living World story.

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

With a 24hour charity drive (played constantly for 24hrs), plus playing almost every day since launch, there is still a lot I have not done. HoT has PLENTY of content, and plenty to keep you interested. I have been so busy I do not think I have finished a daily achievement since the release. I still have not done PvP or WvW either!

You are paying for the EXPAC. The Core Game is free and has nothing to do with the price. This is not an uncommon thing. Look at Bethesda Game of the Year Editions, look at WoW Box sets, look at EQ2 Box sets. These are all games doing exactly the same thing. After a time, the base game simply has no market value, so there is no point in forcing customers to pay for it to get into the expansion. More people will gladly pick up the expansion if the core is included, just to hop in and try.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: Cadaver Material.3162

Cadaver Material.3162

Just so I don’t start a new topic (this seemed the most relevant and recent one) I just bought HoT and I’m a vet (been playing and reg’ed GW2 way back when) but I did not pre-order HoT. One of my friends tells me I should be getting a free toon slot, yet from what I’ve been reading, it seems that was only for the pre-orders. I’ve already got an extra slot, but should I be expecting an extra slot for my purchase? Any definitive answers before I have to dig through 382 threads of “why this is good/bad” just to find an answer to the toon slot question? Any clear, concise answers are appreciated.

MiniEquine.6014

Just so I don’t start a new topic (this seemed the most relevant and recent one) I just bought HoT and I’m a vet (been playing and reg’ed GW2 way back when) but I did not pre-order HoT. One of my friends tells me I should be getting a free toon slot, yet from what I’ve been reading, it seems that was only for the pre-orders. I’ve already got an extra slot, but should I be expecting an extra slot for my purchase? Any definitive answers before I have to dig through 382 threads of “why this is good/bad” just to find an answer to the toon slot question? Any clear, concise answers are appreciated.

When Anet originally announced the expansion, the character slot bonuses did not exist for the regular HoT package; only for Deluxe and Ultimate (Deluxe+4000 gems). After a backlash, Anet granted one additional character slot for all versions of pre-ordered HoT. Because you did not pre-order you would need to buy either the Deluxe version or the Ultimate version to get any character slots, and you would get one. The Ultimate version may seem daunting with the $100 pricetag, but it is actually the best deal because, if you normally buy any gems, it comes with 4000 of them and the other bonus items. In all, the expansion alone costs ~$25-$30 through Ultimate. You could use some of those gems to get additional character slots.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

IMO, this would have gone a whole lot smoother if they’d done the F2P thing first. That way they could have sold HoT as an upgrade, without bothering to mention getting core for free in the price, because core would have already been free and mentioning it would have been superfluous.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

MiniEquine.6014

IMO, this would have gone a whole lot smoother if they’d done the F2P thing first. That way they could have sold HoT as an upgrade, without bothering to mention getting core for free in the price, because core would have already been free and mentioning it would have been superfluous.

Three points:

1) They didn’t decide to make core GW2 F2P until much later after the HoT announcement. It would have been better, I agree, but they weren’t holding out telling us about it or anything.

2) The core game was already on sale for $10 on the website three times: once at the HoT announcement and twice more a couple of months later. They stopped these special sales because of their switch to making it F2P, which explains the long gap between the 3rd $10 sale and the F2P announcement. Anet (mostly) addressed the $10 issue by giving all players who pre-ordered the expansion a character slot and for all players who bought the game after January 23rd a refund of the core game to make up for the F2P transition. Some people bought the game in anticipation of the expansion as opposed to those before January 23rd who bought the game for the game (hence no refund).

3) People would still complain. This forum has plenty of people upset that others are getting an older game for less than what they paid at launch, which is incredibly misguided and selfish, but they would still be complaining the same way if ANet announced these changes earlier.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

The core game is thrown-in for nothing, if you don’t already have it.

Think of it as a free gift, that you just don’t happen to need.

This would have been a good idea, IMO, for attracting new players – if they hadn’t, apparently, used it as an excuse to nerf/remove rewards/progress from pretty much all existing content.

Including content that didn’t give a lot in the first place and progress people had already earned (thinking guilds, here).

We’re all being treated as though we haven’t contributed enough to the game and pushed harder to use the gemstore; whether we actually have already contributed enough, or not.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

The thing is, when you bought the game you got 3 years of gameplay. That’s easily worth 50 bucks.

Now if your a sale baby like me, with a few store purchases under your belt who realizes that 60 or so bucks you’ve spent was more or less for nothing and now you have to pay another 50, well I can see why you’re upset. But I guess I got my 60 bucks worth…

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

Core game isn’t free, with your “free” game you get butchered version of GW2 without acces to all core GW2 features – you need to purchase GW2 in order to have full acces to core game.

I’m not talking about the Play4Free version. I’m talking about the real price of core game right now which is free, not sold anymore and bundled together with expansion. P4F players buy the expansion to unlock the core game for free (leftover stock of core game that you can still buy from retailers are not counted)

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Yashuoa.9527

Yashuoa.9527

HoT is ~50 bucks.
A f2p account (who has restrictions) gets upgraded to the core game.
That is what is thrown in for free, on the account, who upgrades to HoT.

Everyone pays the same for HoT.

The bonus you have as a player who played before the game went free to play, is things like having enjoyed the game for x time, having lvled, unlocked stuff that a new player hasnt yet.
Also you get a knight outfit for being around before it became free to play (new players dont get this).

You dont pay for the core game anymore so you dont need to get HoT for cheaper if you already have the core game. Nor do you get a core game for free thrown in when buying HoT.
The price for HoT is ~50 bucks.
A f2p account (with restrictions compared to the core game), gets upgraded to a core game account for free, because that account upgrades the account to HoT,
by buying HoT.

If I buy a product, lets say a Tv, for 30% off after a few years, than you dont hear the people complaining, who bought the tv a few years earlier for a higher price right?
At least they would have no need to complain about that.

Products gets cheaper after a while. The core game has become an upgrade for free, for the account that upgrades to HoT.
It is not individually thrown into your purchase to give to someone else.
It upgrades the f2p with restrictions account, to a core game, as a free bonus, for upgrading to HoT.

Does this make it all clear?

There is no unfairness.

I would say a one time purchase of ~50 bucks is not much if it gives you enjoyment for years (especially compared to some other mmorpg where you pay monthly).

Doing other stuff for years every month/every few months like having a drink or going to the movies, is a lot more expansive than guildwars 2 HoT by comparison.

(edited by Yashuoa.9527)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Quoting myself, the TP page is correct, I just upgraded a second account which only had the 5 slots from the time the game was released and it now has 6, so this perk wasn’t restricted to pre-orders only, though I do seem to think it was originally advertised as such.