Do you believe Raids are coming?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

they said there will never be better gear than ascended so what are you afraid of?

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

they said there will never be better gear than ascended so what are you afraid of?

If you read what other people typed you would understand what people mean.

NoTrigger.8396

i did. you said you dont want an item to drop in a raid that you cannot get from anywhere else. since there will never be better gear than ascended and no gear treadmill, i would like to know why you are afraid.

because if there is no content or better gear locked behind raids, there is nothing to be afraid of.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

noup!

An Error Prevented Saving:
Message Body length must at least be 15.

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Raids would be a major feature. They claim they have already announced all major features of HoT. Thus, it’s highly unlikely that Raids are coming.

fact is, if they are working on a raid, it probably wouldnt be ready when the expansion launches.

I’d say Anet would go for something in between the two. This is taking into consideration the release of the Wyvern mini boss fights. There’s probably something beyond that like “bring down multiple wyverns while other meta events are going on.” that sort of thing.

anet said gw2 didnt have the ultimate group (note the word group, not zerg) and its something that gw2 needs. and look at how they always say “thats just open world” when they talk about the wyvern.

Now that I think about it, it’s likely they’re working on a Raid but they’re not sure if they’ll be done it in time for the expansion.

Retired Leader of TTS

Ralanost.8913

i did. you said you dont want an item to drop in a raid that you cannot get from anywhere else. since there will never be better gear than ascended and no gear treadmill, i would like to know why you are afraid.

because if there is no content or better gear locked behind raids, there is nothing to be afraid of.

My very first sentence is about vanity, so I’m talking about skins. No where did I mention ascended gear or better stats. Your reading comprehension is horrible.

NoTrigger.8396

My very first sentence is about vanity, so I’m talking about skins. No where did I mention ascended gear or better stats. Your reading comprehension is horrible.

according to arenanet, skins are optional in this game. optional means they are in no way required to play the game. that argument doesnt work here.

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

Ralanost.8913

according to arenanet, skins are optimal in this game. optimal means they are in no way required to play the game. that argument doesnt work here.

The word you are looking for is optional. And they are the only real form of progression in this game, so no they aren’t optional.

Posted by: Thorquist.8126

Thorquist.8126

I’m pretty sure that not this year. Maybe 2016. Maybe.

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

You do not need a trinity for a raid, you need mechanics. We have seen in a much lesser forms, various different mechanics in dungeons (Lupy, Lovers, Flame Legion leader going god(I forget his name)). These mechanics exist, it will just require some clever ingenuity and thinking to incorporate these into a form that could function as a raid.

1. Boss could take less damage over time, and require a combination of abilities to break this, it seems this is what is happening with the new defiance bar that when depleted a special effect happens.
2. Positioning, this already exists with the lovers and the Vinewrath champions.
3. Combos, they have existed since the beginning, perhaps the boss for a time can only be damaged by electricity (electricity fields, shoot through them, give projectiles electricity damage).

These mechanics exist in game today. They just require some thought and imagination to incorporate into a raid designed for GW2. The holy trinity is not necessary, they just belong in a different type of games raid system.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

NoTrigger.8396

The word you are looking for is optional. And they are the only real form of progression in this game, so no they aren’t optional.

fixed. thanks.

with HoT, masterys will be your progression and anet even thinks ascended gear is optional.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

Actually i think that raid designers are working on world bosses and some other type of massive events, but i doubt we will see raids in a classical style.

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

Raids would be a major feature. They claim they have already announced all major features of HoT. Thus, it’s highly unlikely that Raids are coming.

Raids are not a major feature, certainly not something that merits its own bullet point separate from “more content” (which is kind of a given for any expansion). And “challenging group content” — i.e., raid content of some form — expressly was promised.

It was also clarified that the guild halls will have a storyline, which will likely include instances, and will have to involve a large number of players at a time (it makes no sense for a “guild storyline” to only involve four officers and a random, after all).

I don’t see a way to accomplish that without raids, myself. Not when there’s already precedent for non-combat jumping puzzle raids (Turn 3 of the Binding Coil of Bahamut from FFXIV).

(edited by evilunderling.9265)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If we get a raid, the logical assumption is Mordremoth. If that is coming in HoT, I would expect that to be a surprise and kept under wraps. Otherwise raids and/or Mordy will be LS content.

That’s my guess anyway

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

I haven’t seen or heard anything which made me think “raid”.

What we’re definitely getting is more sophisticated open world boss fights which requires more than just everyone piling on top of a champ and just spamming every attack as it comes off cooldown.

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Do any of you believe Raids Dungeons are coming in HoT?

Speculation?

I am going over the AngryJoe interview, and get that vibe that Raids are coming.

Yes I truly believe now that very similar to raid style content is coming. This is my logic..

Game developers that concern themselves with maintaining good pr tend to have 3 responses (and meanings behind them) to

any given question about future content… Anet have took this response style on since backlash over the precursor stuff last year:

1. Yes that is happening and we’re looking at this time period to release (self explanatory it’s a 99.99999% chance that content is coming when they promised, and it’s current form is likely to have been internally tested as a late to finished iteration).

2. We’re not currently talking about that, but it’s something we will look into (Translation: YES that content is definitely planned but it’s open to major tweaks and it would be ducking stupid to tell you about it in it’s current iteration.)

3. No we’re not currently looking at that. (Translation: don’t ever expect it to happen any time in the near future, however enough player input would open us up to the possibility of including it.

Now watch anets recent interviews and you can see how the logic applys… Raids are coming, but they might not finalised yet and they might even be called something different.

Also just to add, something tells me that guild hall progression and raids are part of the same system… It’s interesting to hear Colin tell mattvisual that organised and hardcore group content might be something they talk about alongside the guild stuff. That is very exciting to me.

My 2 cents.

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

I’d suspect that any new content would be more in line with the existing open world events. Marionette was probably the most challenging open world content Anet has made. Vinewrath is a somewhat easier version, which isn’t to say it never fails but it certainly fails at a much lower rate than Marionette did.

I’d say Anet would go for something in between the two. This is taking into consideration the release of the Wyvern mini boss fights. There’s probably something beyond that like “bring down multiple wyverns while other meta events are going on.” that sort of thing.

I quite like the idea of map wide events. Although in the grand scheme of things it’s just a lot of turn the handle and spank the boss, there’s just enough risk of failure, factoring the average skill level of the players, to make it interesting. Small scale (10 players or so) raid type instanced content is significantly less interesting to me

This kinda makes me sad.

As I said before you can only make open world bosses so tough before random people who don’t know the fight screw it up for everyone else by simply being there and causing it to scale up further.

Instanced content for multiple groups would solve this & contrary to some peoples opinion you could make raid content without the trinity. (it would just require bosses to be designed differently then most of the ones currently in game that will 1 shot people)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Raids are not a major feature, certainly not something that merits its own bullet point separate from “more content” (which is kind of a given for any expansion). And “challenging group content” — i.e., raid content of some form — expressly was promised.

No less a major feature than Guild Halls or precursor crafting. Raids are important enough for the community, that not mentioning them when also saying that they revealed all major points of HoT would be a flat out lie. And it’s not like they had to say they mentioned everuthing important if they really wanted to keep some things hidden.

And “challenging group content” may mean just more open world Teq-like fights. Up to you whether you consider this a “raid-like content”, but it seems that most of people clamoring for raids did not think of it like that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

And “challenging group content” may mean just more open world Teq-like fights. Up to you whether you consider this a “raid-like content”, but it seems that most of people clamoring for raids did not think of it like that.

“Challenging group content” could also be an umbrella term, implying that there will be more than one type of “challenging group content”.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I think the GW2-style raids will not have much in common with the imaginations and experiences of raids many people have.

Better not, there’s too many raiding MMOs out there for GW2 just to add a standard raiding experience.

Now that I think about it, it’s likely they’re working on a Raid but they’re not sure if they’ll be done it in time for the expansion.

Or they’re not sure if raiding would work, either mechanically or thematically in GW2.

I haven’t seen or heard anything which made me think “raid”.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/cdi/CDI-Guilds-Raiding
http://www.pcgamer.com/arenanet-hiring-designer-for-guild-wars-2-raid-content/

You’re not looking or listening too hard.

Posted by: Shinji.2063

Shinji.2063

fact is, if they are working on a raid, it probably wouldnt be ready when the expansion launches.

The question OP posted was about Raids being part of HoT. So, you seem to agree, that they won’t be, right?

for me, HoT isnt only the launch of the expansion. its also what will come after launch.

I hope not. I did WoW for almost 10 years. I’m done with raiding, thank you.

raid content doesnt mean they will delete every other content in the game.

This game is mostly about vanity. I don’t want anything to drop in a 10+ man raid that doesn’t drop anywhere else because I will never be able to get it. I despise organised large group content. I have done it enough times to just not like it anymore.

So cause you dont want it no one else should be able to earn a raid skin, I mean it is not like 99% of the other skin in this game are almost handed to you. Totally unfair that they would have one skin that required some work to get.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Raids are partially in (aka marionette style fights)…but PARTIALLY..it’s not a full raid system and i don’t even think they intend to do that seeing they want to re-invent the wheel in everything mmos offer….may it be good or bad they shovel it down your throat and expect u to love it.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

The question OP posted was about Raids being part of HoT. So, you seem to agree, that they won’t be, right?

for me, HoT isnt only the launch of the expansion. its also what will come after launch.

This game is mostly about vanity. I don’t want anything to drop in a 10+ man raid that doesn’t drop anywhere else because I will never be able to get it. I despise organised large group content. I have done it enough times to just not like it anymore.

So cause you dont want it no one else should be able to earn a raid skin, I mean it is not like 99% of the other skin in this game are almost handed to you. Totally unfair that they would have one skin that required some work to get.

There are quite a bit of rare skins that take a considerable investment in order to acquire.
However there are very few WvW skins, and only earnable for a limited amount of time.

If anything add some unique skins to WvW before more skins are added to PvE content.

Ralanost.8913

I am fine with small groups and solo content and I am fine with grinds and requiring effort. I am NOT fine with raids. It has nothing to do with working for it.

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

Just have raid skins (or any other new skins that are earnable only one way) be sellable on tp, then anyone can get them doing anything and the game gets a whole new skin set each time that isnt directly linked to real money purchases.

or if ppl are really against it: have no new skins anywhere ever, because all i like doing is pve and i think its unfair anything else gets new skins that i cant earn doing pve and others feel that way about wvw and others feel that way about pvp. So if you cant make everyone happy, make no one happy.

and no new game modes should be added, if there is a chance they will have a new skin attached to them.

one cosmetics set > new big gameplay addition (apparently)

honestly, why are people trying to deprive the game of a whole new game mode over a skin. Its very immature and selfish thinking because it has virtually nothing to do with the main point. People want raids. You’re saying “NO RAIDS”, not because of anything to do with what a raid offers but because you dont want a skin set added to game you cant easily get.

(edited by Equilibriator.8741)

Ralanost.8913

honestly, why are people saying a whole game mode shouldn’t be added for those that want over the issue of a skin set….

I hate raiding and the raiding community and I would rather that not be in the game. I would rather development resources go to gameplay that most of the playerbase would participate in. Not hard to understand. If you want to raid, play a game designed for it. I hear RIFT is still going.

NoTrigger.8396

if you dont understand that other people have different wishes and if you are so jelly and entitled that you cannot grant them what they deserve, play a game that is designed for you. for example, a single player game. i heard there are many out there and still going.

[qT] Quantify

Equilibriator.8741

honestly, why are people saying a whole game mode shouldn’t be added for those that want over the issue of a skin set….

I hate raiding and the raiding community and I would rather that not be in the game. I would rather development resources go to gameplay that most of the playerbase would participate in. Not hard to understand. If you want to raid, play a game designed for it. I hear RIFT is still going.

yes its not hard to understand. but its hard to rationalise.

I dont pvp or wvw. So does that mean no new pvp or wvw content should ever be added? i can find other people who would rather more pve content was added and pvp and wvw pull from this focus, so thats the same as your argument.

Simple fact is that the individual isn’t important, and there’s a majority that want raids. If a majority wants more wvw, you already know its coming. A majority wants more pvp, so thats coming. A majority also want raids, so its probably coming sooner or later.

The fact you and some others dont want raids is irrelevant because you wont play raids. the important thing is what people want, not what people dont want, unless its forced upon the whole community which raids wont be, except for maybe a skin thats unlockable.

one skin set thats hard to get does not qualify a decent reason to oppose something being added to the game, when the skin set does not need to be tied to that mode and can be made sellable on tp.

If they made it so that you couldnt get past wvw lvl 15 without doing a raid, then yes, thats bullkitten. but they are not doing that. raids will not effect you if you dont want to play them.

by your own argument they shouldnt add anything to the game, in any form, because it wasnt originally in the game. the game wasnt designed for it originally.

ON TOPIC: i think raids are coming, not this expansion but i think it will come eventually. Its only natural progression. Technically guild event puzzles are a bit like raids already, they just need to throw in a hardcore boss here n there.

Ralanost.8913

if you dont understand that other people have different wishes and if you are so jelly and entitled that you cannot grant them what they deserve, play a game that is designed for you. for example, a single player game. i heard there are many out there and still going.

This game was never meant for raiding. Aren’t you the one that is being entitled asking for a game designed for you when there are already other raiding games out there? Why change GW2 when something else is out there for you?

Ralanost.8913

Simple fact is that the individual isn’t important, and there’s a majority that want raids. If a majority wants more wvw, you already know its coming. A majority wants more pvp, so thats coming. A majority also want raids, so its probably coming sooner or later..

Citation needed. You have no proof other than the word of you and maybe 5 others in this thread.

Equilibriator.8741

This game was never meant for raiding. Aren’t you the one that is being entitled asking for a game designed for you when there are already other raiding games out there? Why change GW2 when something else is out there for you?

Thats a terrible argument. Im not even going to bother explaining why because it should be obvious. (There has been so much additions to the game that have only been for certain groups of the gamerbase, did you hate on all of them too?)

(technically adding a new pvp map or a skin is adding something to the game not originally there, you speak of raids like they will change everything such as wvw and pvp and personal story and how equipment is managed, etc)

Equilibriator.8741

Simple fact is that the individual isn’t important, and there’s a majority that want raids. If a majority wants more wvw, you already know its coming. A majority wants more pvp, so thats coming. A majority also want raids, so its probably coming sooner or later..

Citation needed. You have no proof other than the word of you and maybe 5 others in this thread.

right back at you, apparantly you know the majority dont want raids

(and when i speak about a majority, i mean a large enough group of people, not 50%+ of the playerbase. Because rarely do more than 50% of the playerbase all want the same thing.)

now to be clear, i realise a lot of people came to guild wars 2 to escape games with raids, but there is no reason they have to force raids on anyone. The rewards could be completely even with everything else.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I am one of those people strongly against the idea of traditional instanced set-number raids we see from other games making its way in GW2. In those games, they only serve to split the community and act as a cornerstone for most of the elitist behavior.

That said, I think they could make raids work in GW2. They just need to take a strong look at all of the elements from those other games that encourage inter-community strife and hate and address them in their design.

So, yes, I would love to see raids, but not in the form we currently see in other games. They need to be Guild Wars 2 raids, with the emphasis on fun and friendly cooperative gameplay that brings the community together rather than tears it apart.

Again, however, I don’t expect to see raids in HOT nor do I think it would be a good use of developer time right now.

Equilibriator.8741

I am one of those people strongly against the idea of traditional instanced set-number raids we see from other games making its way in GW2. In those games, they only serve to split the community and act as a cornerstone for most of the elitist behavior.

That said, I think they could make raids work in GW2. They just need to take a strong look at all of the elements from those other games that encourage inter-community strife and hate and address them in their design.

So, yes, I would love to see raids, but not in the form we currently see in other games. They need to be Guild Wars 2 raids, with the emphasis on fun and friendly cooperative gameplay that brings the community together rather than tears it apart.

Again, however, I don’t expect to see raids in HOT nor do I think it would be a good use of developer time right now.

see you get it, it doesnt have to be like other games, all hardcore and elitist, it can just be another game mode for fun. it doesnt have to be a bad thing, just because its long and requires people.

(besides, in everymode there is elitists that will tell you to go away, doesnt matter where you go, dungeons, pvp, wvw. With raids you will just sometimes have 10 of them at once :P (like in wvw))

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I belive that raids are already in GW2 since a long time. The only thing that people dislike about this fact is that it’s openworld raids and not instanced raid.

Now, if the real question is : Do you believe instanced raids are coming with HoT?
The obvious answer will be : I seriously doubt they are coming. And they won’t come until they are prepared to add in game a system that allow more then 5 player in a party. Or at least a system to tie party together.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

NoTrigger.8396

what was the game meant for? spamming 1 all day and get the shiny rewards without any challenge? even if the games combat system is based on player skill?

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Considering the question in the OP. Since we had a Raid CDI, I tend to believe we will have something akin to raids, in whichever shape or form ArenaNet comes up with.

Whether the game needs it or doesn’t need it is entirely subjective, and I think that everything added to the game in the right way will probably be a positive thing for the game. That’s not to say you must like it. To each their own.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Yes but not as you know it. Megaserver was the foundation. Challenging group content simply means open world bosses and events tweaked to be done by a specific number of players on a zone map private to them.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

see you get it, it doesnt have to be like other games, all hardcore and elitist, it can just be another game mode for fun. it doesnt have to be a bad thing, just because its long and requires people.

(besides, in everymode there is elitists that will tell you to go away, doesnt matter where you go, dungeons, pvp, wvw. With raids you will just sometimes have 10 of them at once :P (like in wvw))

The very nature of challenging content leads to elitism. On the other hand, if the content barely presents any challenge, there’s little reason for making it instanced.
I guess some kind of instanced guild activity could be possible. It should allow, however, extremely different amounts of players to complete it, so I would hardly call it a raid.

NoTrigger.8396

Yes but not as you know it. Megaserver was the foundation. Challenging group content simply means open world bosses and events tweaked to be done by a specific number of players on a zone map private to them.

anet basically stated, that open world isnt the challenging group content.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Actually, what they said (unless there was a different note or article that I missed) was that the Wyvern example press saw last week wasn’t what they meant by challenging group content.

My guess is that the phrase “challenging group content” is in reference to the encounters locked behind higher level masteries or deep into outpost event chains, but that they will still be in the open world. Whether or not they can make that work and still provide a meaningful challenge is yet to be seen.

I think there is an eventual place for a form of raiding in GW2 (meaning instanced large groups), but again, not yet – and definitely (hopefully) not in the format we see in other games.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

No matter what they add or don’t add, they need to NOT call whatever it is “Raids”…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I believe events like Tequatl are coming. I do not believe we are seeing 10 man dungeons.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This game was never meant for raiding.

Depends on what you mean by raiding to be honest. Dungeons aren’t great but they demonstrate that small group content is possible. World bosses demonstrate that large group content is possible. So I’d wager that there should be a way to get medium (10-20) group content to work.

I think the big problem is that those games tend to focus almost entirely on raid endgame. Granted GW2 has been focusing almost entirely on open world pve end game but this demonstrates the problem. When a game decides ‘this is going to be our end game’, then the other aspects of the game tend to not get as much attention. Or at least this is my fear, I’m all for raids as long as GW2 doesn’t become a raiding MMO.

Implied, but not really stated.

Posted by: inch.3769

inch.3769

If they are raids, they will be GW2 style raids, and therefore awesome.

[tc]

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Iirc, they are not investing resources in dungeons so that means no dungeon raids either. Besides, there is enough raid/zerg open world content already and I’m sure they will make more.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Iirc, they are not investing resources in dungeons so that means no dungeon raids either.

Source?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

As we’ve seen by the great example of the sister game Wildstar , I think they learned their lesson on trying to support the 1% in game design.

So no. Just no.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

As we’ve seen by the great example of the sister game Wildstar , I think they learned their lesson on trying to support the 1% in game design.

So no. Just no.

I believe there were other elements at play that ruined Wildstar. Because both Rift and WoW are successful and do Raids the best in the genre. Action combat likely killed that game.

Posted by: DeViLzzz.3128

DeViLzzz.3128

1 vote for raiding and 1 vote for more questing