Does the tarir event in AB need tweaking.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

This event has been failing frequently recently due to the players on the East burning down the Octovine extremely fast compared to the other gates, especially West and North which seem to be getting less and less players who actually know what to do, so that the entire event times out and fails.
As the East gate is the easiest to do, its where most players go, so the other gates dont get enuf, or if they do, the players dont know what to do.
Obvious examples are players attacking the octovine when its got slime protection on.
The obvious solution is to get players from East to come and help at the other gates, but they either dont understand the problem or dont want to help.
I dont know what the fix is to this , but some kind of balancing of the gate difficulty might help if it gets a more equal number of players on each gate.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Yeah, it’s an issue. If given the option, most players are going to flock to where they can do the least and still get credit for participation. In some cases, it’s not a huge issue as long as there’s coverage where there needs to be, but even if you do have people at West and North, East being overmanned can cause the event to fail.

I think there should be a balance pass done to equalize each side. It doesn’t really make sense to me that one side doesn’t even need armors, while others are doomed without. Never mind the other small issues that can cause issues (South needs more overall coordination, North has tendrils to deal with in addition to the slime layers, and the mushrooms at West are absolute magnets for Stompers).

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Isn’t that a good sign? More new players.

mauried.5608

More new players are good provided they know what to do.
This is one of the few events in the game where killing everything in sight guarantees the event fails.

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

The issue is that no one wants to take 2 minutes to explain the encounter. I’ve seen encounters fail with just a 5 man group in fractals because no one wants to explain anything to someone that is new.

Could just say a few times in chat, “all octovines need to die at the same time, so we gotta wait for the others to catch up”

mauried.5608

Thats the simple fix , but whats happening now is that the other groups dont catch up before the event times out.
Too many players are going to east, burning the Octovine down and then simply waiting.
If it wasnt a timed event it would be OK.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Easiest fix is to be more aggressive on the scaling of the octovine itself. East should scale more aggresively than North or West should for instance.

@Hot Boy people do talk in map chat sometimes. But by now a lot of people expect everyone else to understand the event, and if a new person doesn’t proclaim that they are new and don’t know what to do then some of the blame lies on them for going in blind. Not all, but some. And this doesn’t help with trolls either.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

My suggestion for the multiloot:
Upgrade all base chests to medium, all medium to large. Now you have approximately 2.5x more big chests on one map. Now disable the map travel, by giving a boon on your map thats required to be inside. And you lose it when map or server traveling.
That way the ecto market gets a small debuff, but not so much that players will consider the event no longer worth it

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

The issue is that no one wants to take 2 minutes to explain the encounter. I’ve seen encounters fail with just a 5 man group in fractals because no one wants to explain anything to someone that is new.

Could just say a few times in chat, “all octovines need to die at the same time, so we gotta wait for the others to catch up”

a lot of times the farming guilds im in do that. then again i rarely see maps fail. usually theres only 5 or 6 maps max nowadays.

im bad at sarcasm

OriOri.8724

Upgrade all base chests to medium, all medium to large. Now you have approximately 2.5x more big chests on one map. Now disable the map travel, by giving a boon on your map thats required to be inside. And you lose it when map or server traveling.
That way the ecto market gets a small debuff, but not so much that players will consider the event no longer worth it

This isn’t even related to the thread topic

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

The other issue I’ve seen is people going to a gate and getting an armor, then once we can get inside some of them go to a different gate leaving the gate they got the armor from without enough. I’ve seen 5 armors at a gate go down to 1 once we were inside.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

This isn’t even related to the thread topic

I thought this was an open topic to improve the auric meta event. I thought this would contribute as it increases effort and value of an individual succesfil map

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

This event has been failing frequently recently due to the players on the East burning down the Octovine extremely fast compared to the other gates, especially West and North which seem to be getting less and less players who actually know what to do, so that the entire event times out and fails.
As the East gate is the easiest to do, its where most players go, so the other gates dont get enuf, or if they do, the players dont know what to do.
Obvious examples are players attacking the octovine when its got slime protection on.
The obvious solution is to get players from East to come and help at the other gates, but they either dont understand the problem or dont want to help.
I dont know what the fix is to this , but some kind of balancing of the gate difficulty might help if it gets a more equal number of players on each gate.

The “fix” is people to be knowledgeable of what they need to do for the event to succeed.

Lately there are players, including Commanders, in AB who don’t know what exactly to do. At North gate, for example, you need to kill the breacher once inside, to prevent further spawning of mobs, and shoot herbicides at the octovine to get rid of its layers protection, before using your own weapons to bring its health bar down.

The last two times I was there, just random squads, not ML ones, and while we are waiting outside the gate for the event to start, the Commanders didn’t ask “Does everyone know what to do?” or, “Any new player with questions about what to do?”

Once inside they didn’t give an order for the breacher to be killed. When I asked for help to kill it, only a single player responded to my call.

When people used their own weapons to bring the layers down no Commander told them they do it wrong. I shouted normal weapons are ineffective, and that they should use the bramble begone, but no one listened to me.

Four (4) players in armours were pushing the triggerblossoms to our direction: right in front of the octivine, resulting in players being downed and/or being killed. The Commander didn’t issue any orders, even when a couple of us started complaining about it.

I stayed till the end only to see the event failing miserable. The second time was just a deja vu: people were repeating the same mistakes. I left.

My advice to new players and aspired Commanders is this: Perhaps having a Commander tag is all nice and dandy, but unless you know what to do, and how to guide people to a successful outcome, please don’t put it up. Also, people should listen to their fellow players when they tell them what to do in a nice and civilised manner.

mauried.5608

The problem in making people knowledgable is that they have to want to learn.
You cant force people to do the fights properly, especially if they wont listen and simply do what they think has to be done such as attacking the Octovine when its got 15 layers of slime on , or burning down the Octovine when the other gates arnt even close .
The problem with the fight is that once its starts its pretty chaotic and people dont have the time or inclination to stop and read whats in the chat window.
Anet could help a bit by putting up a really big Invulnerable sign on the Octovine when its got slime on.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

To me, the only thing that needs a tweak is the difficulty at East. Give some of those Bristlebacks the range and firing capabilities of the White Mantle rock-tossers in Bloodstone Fen, and it’ll be one hell of a party.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Khisanth.2948

East already has stuff that can knock people out of the air …

OriOri.8724

To me, the only thing that needs a tweak is the difficulty at East. Give some of those Bristlebacks the range and firing capabilities of the White Mantle rock-tossers in Bloodstone Fen, and it’ll be one hell of a party.

Or just increase the hp scaling on the East octovine. The reason it finishes so fast is that its insanely easy to strip its layers of slime, taking <15 seconds with even just 3 or 4 people in the air with bombs (assuming none of them get shot down by the snipers), and then it doesn’t really have any mechanics to keep you engaged while the octovine is vulnerable. If its HP was scaled up higher then it would be more balanced.

Or leave it alone and let players teach newcomers how the fight works and this isn’t a problem most of the time

Khisanth.2948

I like how this thread starts with asserting that there is an issue with Octovine failing and then it turns into suggestions on how to make it fail more often.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Please Tarir dont need any tweaking.

Any “fix” to it, is invitation to make matters worse.

In average, on every 10 tarir fights, just 1 ou 2 at max will be failed cuz of East noobs. its not a issue.

Dont touch Tarir, its working very well.

I like how this thread starts with asserting that there is an issue with Octovine failing and then it turns into suggestions on how to make it fail more often

Exactly!

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

mauried.5608

This event does seem to be getting better now.
Less players going to East and more going to the other gates so as long as it stays this way theres no need to do anything.

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

This event does seem to be getting better now.
Less players going to East and more going to the other gates so as long as it stays this way theres no need to do anything.

Even if it doesn’t stay this way, and all the lazy hats start flocking on the East gate again, ANet shouldn’t do anything. The issue lies in the players, not in ANet.