"Don't Pre-Purchase HoT" ~ $100,000 Loss

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

This is really expensive for HoT.
There’s not many new things, it just doesn’t worth it. And we actually don’t really know what is exactly in this expansion.
Well… And why will I need to have another core if I already have one? It makes no sense…
A little bit strange move, I think.

How are you gonna tell me there’s not enough new stuff when you odn’t even know what’s coming?

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

It’s worth paying $100 just to see Braham’s mom die. Screw Braham and his mom.

You mess up defiant on the Molten boss duo multiple times and you’re on the list.

Posted by: Targos.9516

Targos.9516

I hope people are smart enough not to purchase this, i quit 2 games that got greedy for money. l am ready to quit this game too.

Posted by: sukibells.7364

sukibells.7364

I came to join the protest. $50 for a Xpac we know nothing about is pushing it too much, if you ask me. A few days ago, I was completely sure I would buy the xpac just as soon as they announced it, for gw2 is one of my favourite games, but…

I’ve played nearly 3000h, but I’m ready to leave it all behind if they refuse to realise that this is a slap on the face for vet players. As some people said before, I would give it a chance if they AT LEAST included one char slot in the basic bundle, but this is just an insult. I really hope I can take back everything I’m saying now and play HoT for a reasonable price, but I won’t take this, not now, nor ever (for those who said everyone’s gonna buy it anyway).

(edited by sukibells.7364)

Posted by: The Dervish.7384

The Dervish.7384

Anet said “HoM” will be there for GW players. And they are explained tons of things about it. They are announced “Guild Halls” at release of GW2. And im sure we can increase those stuff (promised but not done) by Anet.

Now, i cant use my HoM… HoM is not like they promised also. How can i trust Anet again if they release stuff they promised for HoT? So, i dont.. pre-purchase, never.. lol.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I buy HoT. Some people pay over 50€ games like witcher 3 and they won’t even play it over 6k hours.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

a 100k loss on predicted profits in the tens of millions.

I’m sure they’ll be fine.

People will kitten and complain about the expansion even if it was handed out for free. It’s impossible to keep everyone happy, and going by the amount of people I’ve seen in game with the trailblazer title and the positive nature of most map/guild chats I’ve seen regarding HoT (aside from the odd bitter griper here and there) they’re doing pretty well.

As usual, it’s the vocal minority stirring the pot while the content stay silent and happy.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

Hot is Expensive? in what world?…

£34 ($50) for the expansion, with 0 sub model and 0 required investment after its release.

that is $25 Dollars a Year or £17 a Year.

thats like Under £2 ($4) a Month which is HALF the price of any other f2p to play with everything (as subs > f2p in other models) and half the price of any P2P MMO which sell their expansions at the exact same price.

therefore, NO GW2 HoT is cheap as hell.

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

Those upvotes and people claiming they won’t pre-purchase don’t really mean anything, honestly. The Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott and Call of Duty whatever it was boycott are proof of that.

It all depends on how much of the ACTIVE players are ticked off. If you look at the reddit post a bit more carefully, you see it has been 84% upvoted. In other words, 84% of those who give a kitten about the situation, and who are most likely active players, indicated a dislike.

Not everyone reads forums, let alone reddit. But 84% of currently 2135 people is a lot of people. And those people probably have friends and guildmates who didn’t vote, but who are also upset.

Now I point your attention to a marketing truism: dissatisfied customer affect WAY more potential buyers than satisfied ones. So was upsetting this large a number of players a smart move by ANet? I’d give it some thought if I were you.

Also, the claim that player boycotts/walkouts in MMOs don’t work is not true. In 2005, SOE notoriously managed to upset its active player base badly enough that they lost an estimated 180,000 subscriptions (out of 220,000) in half a year. The game never really recovered. The reasons why… a long story, but basically a matter of disregarding the existing player base in favor of projected new subscribers. Forgetting that all those angry existing players might just be upset enough to leave truly horribad reviews all over the internet, driving off anyone who might have been even remotely interested in buying.

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

The price tag doesn’t compute. I feel it’s a ripoff for an expansion. I preordered GW2’s deluxe edition back in the day and was looking forward for HoT. It was a good excuse to come back and spend untold hours once more. But that’s out of the question like this. I see no incentive besides being the proverbial cow ready to be milked.

I’m better off spending that kind of money in brand new games.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

If they removed the core game from the pre purchase for those who had it then surley they could make it cheaper.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

When someone buys a WoW expansion they pay around this price range, even if you played since vanilla, you still get the same amount of gameplay as someone that just started.

I understand most of you don’t have any experience in the mmo world, but this price is fair to say the least. It’s kind of silly to think that every WoW expansion is a new core game, it’s not, it’s an expansion.

And no one, no one, not one single person should get something extra just because you have played since release. Same goes for all games. And btw, the core game in the expansion is a bonus, it’s not something that ups the price, it’s a bonus you get when you buy the expansion. So we wont see the core game being sold after this expansion, it will probably be only the expansion with the core game inside.

It’s a great way to keep it simple for newcomers. Unless you hate noobs, and don’t want new people to this amazing game?

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

They didn’t lie to us, but they definitely made a shady business decision and bared their butts at everyone who’s stuck through the game after all of the crap. Anyone who’s never heard about GW2 and HoT can get the expansion and the core game for 50 bucks. While the people who’s stuck around get screwed because we were told that we had to have the core game first.

Its like going to a restaurant and the guy at the door saying that if you want to eat here you have to have our brand of jacket and tie. So people go buy a jacket and tie and come back, only for the door guy to say if you order the steak, you get a jacket and tie for free.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Those downvoters will buy, cry as they might.

You’re sad you don’t get a discount for owning basic? Your fallacy is in comparing the value of GW2 at release with its value today. Considering the recent $10 GW2 sale, the value of GW2 in 2015 is closer to that $10.

Should it come with a slot? Yes, no, maybe, whatever, but if the price of a slot makes you sour, you have bigger problems in life.

The true value of HOT is the new content. If we are getting the same amount of content as a season pack, then I’d be unhappy paying the price tag of a true expansion for what would just be a glorified live update patch.

Also, your buying the xpac supports the game you’ve put 1000s of hours into. You may get some of this new content for free (Tuesday’s patch), but your dollar supports it all the same.

Some of you people have 5k+ hours and you don’t want to drop $50 on the game you play every day?

Haters gonna hate.

I have enough gold to fill up my character slots and still have more than enough to buy legendary weapons (plural) off the TP, and these announcements just made me a LOT more gold.

It’s not a money issue, it’s a problem that these companies insult the gaming community in general. So as it stands no, I am not buying it for $50; I will not pay $50 from a seller that disrespects their customers.

Also, please stop saying those updated content is “free”, it’s not. Only naive people think this.

Posted by: Katalos.5038

Katalos.5038

Am I wrong to feel the price is fair? Even though I work 15-20 hours a week at $9.00 an hour.

Well, I wouldn’t say you are wrong. I would say… you love GW2, a lot. I work 40 hours a week at $16.50/hr and I think HoT is crazily expensive. $50 itself is not much, but it is relatively expensive to other games. I can buy a complete AAA game with $50 or a little bit more. HoT is only an expansion, not even a complete game by itself.

Posted by: Katalos.5038

Katalos.5038

You’re only punishing yourselves. They aren’t going to change their prices. Get better jobs if this is too steep a price.

It’s not about affordability.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well how many of us PC gamers are now conditioned to only buy games during Steam Sales? I bought this game when it was on sale for the Christmas Holidays in Target for $50, $10 off.

I know MMO expansions are normally a different case, it’s nearly everybody upgrading at the same time so they don’t feel left behind. That’s the psychology behind MMO upgrades.

So the question I have for everyone is do you want to upgrade now and get spoiled before the expansion launches or buy at launch and soak it all it at once. Because other than the Ultimate allure of half price gems, all we are getting is beta access and an exclusive title and the satisfaction of advancing ANet income we routinely deny them (but everything should be free).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

To the people trying to compare with WoW, you realise that they get their income bolstered by a mandatory $15/month subscription, right?

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

" are any indication, that’s a bare-minimum loss of $78k,"

Just like the massive steal community boycotting a certain game were PROVING that the company would lose hundreds of thousands in sales!

On day one, all of them were playing that game. Over steam. In other words, they buy it.

People complaining often actually buy it anyway.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

Anyone arguing “It’s a free core game” doesn’t get it. It’s simply a pricing gimmick, the core game is worthless to you. It’s more like, “Anet gets 10 free dollars”. As it stands I have no reason to pre-purchase and this leaves a bad impression(it brings to mind milking a cow for all it’s worth), I’ll probably get it through a retailer at some point…

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

" are any indication, that’s a bare-minimum loss of $78k,"

Just like the massive steal community boycotting a certain game were PROVING that the company would lose hundreds of thousands in sales!

On day one, all of them were playing that game. Over steam. In other words, they buy it.

People complaining often actually buy it anyway.

This…The problem with this expansion is just that. It’s an expansion. Most everyone still playing will buy the game. I personally do not want to buy the game, but i probably will because i have good friends in the game who i enjoy playing with. And that’s why i feel shafted by this price since Anet knows we will pay it.

But don’t prepurchase please because…well just watch boogie’s video

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

Preordering and prepurchasing is silly indeed. Nobody should do either. I sure won’t – I’ll only buy HoT if it does what I want [No additional geargrind, no raid-like content].

That aside, I think the pricing is 100% fine, as is including the base game. Common videogame practice and has been for 20+ years.

Stuff gets ridiculously cheap after a couple years. These days, it’s after a couple months. Do you folks feel betrayed when people get some block buster game for nearly free? Nah, of course not.

Because that’d be silly, just like this storm in a teacup is silly.

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Those upvotes and people claiming they won’t pre-purchase don’t really mean anything, honestly. The Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott and Call of Duty whatever it was boycott are proof of that.

It all depends on how much of the ACTIVE players are ticked off. If you look at the reddit post a bit more carefully, you see it has been 84% upvoted. In other words, 84% of those who give a kitten about the situation, and who are most likely active players, indicated a dislike.

Not everyone reads forums, let alone reddit. But 84% of currently 2135 people is a lot of people. And those people probably have friends and guildmates who didn’t vote, but who are also upset.

Now I point your attention to a marketing truism: dissatisfied customer affect WAY more potential buyers than satisfied ones. So was upsetting this large a number of players a smart move by ANet? I’d give it some thought if I were you.

Also, the claim that player boycotts/walkouts in MMOs don’t work is not true. In 2005, SOE notoriously managed to upset its active player base badly enough that they lost an estimated 180,000 subscriptions (out of 220,000) in half a year. The game never really recovered. The reasons why… a long story, but basically a matter of disregarding the existing player base in favor of projected new subscribers. Forgetting that all those angry existing players might just be upset enough to leave truly horribad reviews all over the internet, driving off anyone who might have been even remotely interested in buying.

Still doesn’t mean a huge amount. I’m not saying ANet shouldn’t react to the criticism they’re receiving. I’m not in the upset crowd, but I think the least they could do is make the extra character slot a base feature but that’s besides the point.

You’ve pulled one example in the near endless year on year ’I’m boycotting/not spending more money on (x)’ group of people. Also please link it, I’d be interested in reading on what whichever developer it was did to lose half their subs in a year, because you’ve just cherrypicked the ‘upset current crowd for new crowd’ bit to make it somewhat relatable to this, and I feel like there’s a lot more to that story.

Regardless, whenever I’ve seen it in the past, a large group of that crowd go back on their word and buy it anyway…because probably a chunk of the people that clicked an up arrow (and that’s all they did, something that took a second) are just agreeing with it hoping to get something out of it, either by making the expansion cheaper or getting ANet to add something for people who already own GW2, because those people have nothing to lose by clicking an up arrow. And if it never happens? A chunk of those people will buy HoT anyway. If I told anyone to click an up arrow and a product they potentially love will get cheaper/they’ll get more stuff for it, I’m betting a fair few will do it anyway regardless of why I’m asking them to do it in the first place.

My point is that those votes are in no way an accurate representation of how much potential money ANet may have lost by giving new players GW2 + HoT, which is what the crux of this thread was about. There were endless sky were falling, dead game, lost money threads when ascended rings were released that people based on ‘the majority’ of the game hating.

I’m all for people giving their opinion on what ANet are doing with this pre-purchase stuff and in fact agree with some of the negative criticism, but these scaremongering threads that are attempting to get ANet to do something based on some figure that in no way represents the reality of what will happen are, to me, pointless.

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

ey they give you 4000 gems to buy minirocks from the tp!!! this is a deal!!
srly ill wait until any discounted price, 50 is too much.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Posted by: Tanstaafl.9481

Tanstaafl.9481

Preordering and prepurchasing is silly indeed. Nobody should do either. I sure won’t – I’ll only buy HoT if it does what I want [No additional geargrind, no raid-like content].

That aside, I think the pricing is 100% fine, as is including the base game. Common videogame practice and has been for 20+ years.

Stuff gets ridiculously cheap after a couple years. These days, it’s after a couple months. Do you folks feel betrayed when people get some block buster game for nearly free? Nah, of course not.

Because that’d be silly, just like this storm in a teacup is silly.

Agree here. I may or may not buy this but why is it that people pre-order anything. What a stupid trend this has become.

Artemis Branch – Human Warrior, Raflatac – Charr Warrior, Schmazz – Asura Warrior.
I like warriors, so sue me.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

If the upvotes on the reddit thread “Don’t Pre-Purchase Heart of Thorns” are any indication, that’s a bare-minimum loss of $78k, so far, not including any upgrade packages. So the total is easily over $100,000 in lost sales, just from those who have viewed that thread and voted. It’s not a perfect metric, but people are speaking their minds and voting with their money right now.

Maybe if there was some discussion about the HoT packages and price points, this disaster could have been avoided. It’s not like we don’t want to give Anet our money, but we also want good value. If the price cannot be lowered at this point, at least pad the packages, especially the base one. It’s nickel and diming your customers, when you make them pay $50, then force them to buy a character slot for the new class.

I don’t have a big issue with the price while I agree the character slot should be in there for free.

I do have a problem with the fact that there is no CE or that the Ultimate Edition is not available as physical copy. Why not release a nice looking physical box (like a metal box) that for example holds the content of the Ultimate Edition (Does not have to be as big as the original CE).

I guess Anet has until the 23th to change it’s mind about that but in a way I will be voting with my wallet against that if they don’t, if I buy the Deluxe copy (I will only buy a physical copy) that means they miss the money I would else have spend on the CE / UE. I am even getting forced into doing that.

Btw, I did always vote against gems by never buying any of those in-game. If you want to vote against anything that I would suggest voting against that.

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

If I understand the video game industry correctly, I would presume that NCSoft set the price and not Anet.

We could be potentially barking up the wrong tree here.

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I’m not joining any boycot or “protest”. But im not preordering the game either.

To little content has been revealed to catch my fancy. I’m a WvW players, i don’t care much about pve and such. So whats new for me? Specializations which i may or may not use, and the Revenant profession. Of course ill have to drop another 10euros to get the character slot to make a Revenant, bumping the price up to 55euros.

And i honestly am not convinced that 55euro’s for one new profession is really worth it. Game is perfectly playable for me without HoT. Altough i find myself not playing that much anymore as i’m kind of bored with GW2. And none of the content revealed so far seems like something that would rekindle my enthousiasm for long.

If i do buy it i sure as hell won’t buy it from anet, i already spotted legit third party sellers undercutting that 45euro’s price tag. I’d be downright shocked if i couldn’t find it somewhere for less than 40.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I’m not pre-ordering HoT because I don’t support pre-order culture. It is damaging the games industry by teaching developers it’s okay to take our money before the game is even out, and possibly deliver a sub-par product. It also teaches developers it’s okay to cut content from the game and sell it separately as “pre-order bonus” material, some of which is exclusive to each retailer.

To be fair, Anet has offered some good deals in the ultimate package (imo) and the bonus for pre-ordering HoT is beta access. However, no matter how benevolent Anet is, pre-ordering from them shows other developers that this business practice is okay, and other developers are not always honest.

I’m tired of seeing exclusive day-1-dlc-pre-order-bonuses in my games. I’m tired of content being cut from games to be used as leverage for pre-orders. Not saying that’s what Anet is doing, but other developers do it all the time and it’s disgusting. I can’t support any of it.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Even my most blindly loyal and optimistic friends have called this some variation of “a slap in the face” and aren’t buying it. Pushing away your critical audience is one thing. Losing your devoted fans should be cause for serious thought.

To anyone kitten swinging about how they make so much money it’s a drop in the bucket and looking down on anyone who may not be able to afford it, buying expensive toys just to prove you can doesn’t mean you’ve made a wise investment and everyone else should follow suit.

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

i have spend in these 3 years many $ to support the game , but as a 3 years player

i can give max 10 $ for this expansion …. why ? because , i have no need to play a new pve map , no need to have a glider , no need to have a legendary / precursor , no need to have a guild hall to do my personal wars .

if the expansion is forced to buy it , maybe it is time to make a break

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

There’s quite a few problems with this pricing.

Currently they’re selling Core Game + Xpan together for 50 dollars. That’s actually a great deal! Awesome for new players. But the problem is they said the xpan by it’s self is 50 dollars and the Core Game is Free. No, that is a lie. From what I’ve seen the xpan does not have 50 dollars worth of content to match or even come close to the amount of content the Core Game has. You can buy GW2 alone for around 20-40 dollars or cheaper all over the place, that leaves 10-30 dollars for Xpansion price. I don’t care what they say, the core game is not free in this bundle.

As an existing account, regardless of if I wanted it or not, if I buy it I’m forced to receive a second Full GW2 account. Why would I want this? It’s a waste of a digital CD key. As far as I’m concerned I should be able to get a full core game refund for the empty unused account they give me because I don’t want it. It’s a waste of both of our money to give it to me so what’s the point? The 2nd account probably doesn’t even get it’s own HoT key so even if I gave it away to someone they wouldn’t have the xpan and would have to buy it for 50 dollars and receive a 2nd account themselves when the more logical approach would be for them to just buy the core+xpan themselves.

So basically I’m gonna come right out and say it; This is the dumbest sale I ever seen~ even after seeing Rockstar’s summer sale scam on Steam. I love this game and it’s sad to see you guys hurt your own project so much with this awful decision.

The new players who buy HoT get to apply HoT to their new Full GW2 Account. You, the existing player, do NOT receive a second Full GW2 Account if you prepurchase HoT. You only get to apply HoT to your current account and that’s it. Nothing else, there is no second account from which you could at least claim stuff like Login-Daily-Rewards and such. Which is why I see this as false advertising.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I believe that there are 2 ways to be fair here:

1. Lower the prices to the existing packages to 30, 50 and 75 euros respectively.

2. Leave the prices as they are but Standard Edition should give you at least character slot and a character customization kit, Deluxe Edition should give you also extra bang space and maybe a special head skin, and finally the Ultimate Edition all that and the Gems.

This way I could feel that the purchase is worthy.

If I may,

3. For existing players, they can receive an actual code of the base game so that they can give the code to a friend or use it however they wish (i.e create an account for a different region)

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

There’s quite a few problems with this pricing.

Currently they’re selling Core Game + Xpan together for 50 dollars. That’s actually a great deal! Awesome for new players. But the problem is they said the xpan by it’s self is 50 dollars and the Core Game is Free. No, that is a lie. From what I’ve seen the xpan does not have 50 dollars worth of content to match or even come close to the amount of content the Core Game has. You can buy GW2 alone for around 20-40 dollars or cheaper all over the place, that leaves 10-30 dollars for Xpansion price. I don’t care what they say, the core game is not free in this bundle.

As an existing account, regardless of if I wanted it or not, if I buy it I’m forced to receive a second Full GW2 account. Why would I want this? It’s a waste of a digital CD key. As far as I’m concerned I should be able to get a full core game refund for the empty unused account they give me because I don’t want it. It’s a waste of both of our money to give it to me so what’s the point? The 2nd account probably doesn’t even get it’s own HoT key so even if I gave it away to someone they wouldn’t have the xpan and would have to buy it for 50 dollars and receive a 2nd account themselves when the more logical approach would be for them to just buy the core+xpan themselves.

So basically I’m gonna come right out and say it; This is the dumbest sale I ever seen~ even after seeing Rockstar’s summer sale scam on Steam. I love this game and it’s sad to see you guys hurt your own project so much with this awful decision.

The new players who buy HoT get to apply HoT to their new Full GW2 Account. You, the existing player, do NOT receive a second Full GW2 Account if you prepurchase HoT. You only get to apply HoT to your current account and that’s it. Nothing else, there is no second account from which you could at least claim stuff like Login-Daily-Rewards and such. Which is why I see this as false advertising.

Wow, that makes things even worse. .-.

Worst business decision ever. ;x

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I will buy it at a store,( if I decide) so I can but it in my own currency instead of being screwed over by a high price, made even higher because of US currency and credit card conversion costs.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

what the kitten is wrong with people this days?
the expansion price is good and fair .
simple as that.

Maybe to you.
But for veteran players who have been supporting the game for years, its a slap in the face to not AT LEAST give them 1 free character slot to try out the new class…

as it stands I would have to pay 50 bucks + an extra 10 just to fit the new class…
You think thats FAIR? your definition is slightly different than most peoples…

I’ve played GW2 since the first open betas, and Guild Wars 1 before that – pretty sure I count as a veteran – and I agree with jihm, the price is fair and fine.

The only criticism I have is that the standard version doesn’t come with a character slot. I have a few friends who could have really used a character slot thrown in with that standard pack and I feel a bit sorry for them. This doesn’t affect me directly.

When I think of the content we’ve had in the past 3 years, and the content we’re likely to get after HoT release, hell yes it’s a fair price to support a game that’s been entertaining me solidly for three years, and am confident that it will in years to come. ArenaNet is the only developer I’m prepared to extend this trust to.

Anyone who thinks it’s too expensive. Wait it out for 24 months and pick it up half price. Problem solved, right?

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

With the way the game industry functions these days, only a fool would pre-order anything unseen and untested. Contrary to claims that I am “punishing myself” for refusing to stump up the cash for something unseen and untested, I would say I’m being an astute consumer… Wouldn’t you?

The very notion of pre-ordering anything in an age of digital distribution is laughable.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

This thread on reddit is now the highest rated GW2 subreddit thread of all time.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Honestly I think its foolish to preorder it. There are no good incentives and Anet has already shown us that it is better to wait.

On the faq page for months it has said that the base game is required for the expansion, leading new players into buying the base game, only to flip flop on that issue. Leaving players who joined in the last few months out in the cold.
http://i.imgur.com/1h0wSaL.png

You have a very strong point there my friend, as I am not a ‘new’ player I did not think about this but you are right, the faq did indeed say that so for all people who did buy GW2 recently, preparing for HoT they are pretty much screwed big-time. For veteran GW2 players you would still say you did pay GW2 to play it for 3 years but that does not hold true for people who did buy it in the last 6 months. Imho they should just still require GW1 (for any addition) and start selling it for €10 but I’m not sure that is even possible anymore and sales have already started.

While this does not apply to me, this is a pretty big fail. I am guessing this was a mistake so will name it fail.

For me personal a CE addition is still the biggest issue, but I agree what the original expansion should include the char slot.

So the changes I would make in total would be still required the base game but starting to sell that for a lower price (maybe as low as €10, anyway in the price range 10 / 35). Then put a char slot into the standard edition and put something else extra into the Deluxe edition, lastly I would also start selling a CE that includes everything as the UE but in a nice / better looking box then the standard and Digital hard copies. Prices would stay the same, or add 10 dollar for the CE but then also put one extra thing ingame in it, like a title.

I think these (minor) changes would please most people.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

With the way the game industry functions these days, only a fool would pre-order anything unseen and untested. Contrary to claims that I am “punishing myself” for refusing to stump up the cash for something unseen and untested, I would say I’m being an astute consumer… Wouldn’t you?

The very notion of pre-ordering anything in an age of digital distribution is laughable.

Absolutely love Mr. Biscuit’s take on pre-ordering. As some comments explain further, consumers can benefit from avoiding pre-orders. One of them pointed out how the number of pre-orders dictate release date(you’ll notice Anet never posted a release day) because high pre-orders means they can ship an incomplete product instead of refining it further.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I really enjoyed this vid on pre-orders. He makes some very provocative points.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Well said. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell people. Don’t pre-order it if all you care about is the mini rytlock and stuff. There isn’t a limited supply on that stuff. It’s digital for fracks sake.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

From what I can tell, HoT has 20-30 dollars worth of content — probably in the lower range (not counting a character slot). If Anet has already priced it at $50, there’s little chance they’re going to lower it by much… so I’ll wait until HoT goes on sale so that I get my money’s worth. No big deal.

My thoughts exactly. I’ve been playing this game for 3 years and I can take a break for several months. My guess is Anet may think it’s a big deal if a significant number of players feel the same….

However, I’m not going to “commit” to anything as they could certainly release info that would cause me to reconsider my current position.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

My thoughts exactly. I’ve been playing this game for 3 years and I can take a break for several months. My guess is Anet may think it’s a big deal if a significant number of players feel the same….

And given the serious bugs we’re used to on patch day, waiting until the first Christmas sale could be wise for other reasons than purely money.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

$50 for the expac and every update they make to the game until the next expac is a bargain. It would take 4 monthis in a sub game to surpass this amount but GW2 isn’t a sub game and thus every patch, every update, every change made in game until the day they choose to make another expac will be covered by this measly $50.

Heck apparently I’ve bought WoW 3 times already because there expacs come with the core and all prior expacs every released prior. Not even the worst community out of any MMO has shown what I’ve read today in this forums and seen in game. This community has become has simply surpassed them which is disgusting. People will either buy the game or wait till a price drop yet all this people are out forcing there opinions on each other a jolly good show of entitlement.

Posted by: Draycon.1369

Draycon.1369

So i why isn’t arenanet giving us another copy of the game when we purchase one of the packs ? just because i already have an account i am not entitled to the same advantages that other people that don’t play gw2 have ?
I feel like we deserve to get the expansion pack and a code for the regular game just like anyone else without an account would get.

Posted by: Skarg.6834

Skarg.6834

I believe that there are 2 ways to be fair here:

1. Lower the prices to the existing packages to 30, 50 and 75 euros respectively.

2. Leave the prices as they are but Standard Edition should give you at least character slot and a character customization kit, Deluxe Edition should give you also extra bang space and maybe a special head skin, and finally the Ultimate Edition all that and the Gems.

This way I could feel that the purchase is worthy.

If I may,

3. For existing players, they can receive an actual code of the base game so that they can give the code to a friend or use it however they wish (i.e create an account for a different region)

4. They could remove the core game being included for new players that pre-purchase. Have to buy it separate then can use upgrade code.

No one gets anything additional is another solution that would resolve the “new players are getting more” complaint.

If people are objecting about $50 for the expansion is to much based on what has been shown then they shouldn’t be pre purchasing yet. Pre purchase is for those that want to give developers money before the product is ready can. Can wait until their is enough announced they are interested in or until game launches to put money down.

Also on Reddit, upvotes are suppose to be to raise visibility on a topic for discussion/sharing of information, not just an “I agree” button. Not that GW2 reddit often uses it that way, still might be pre-mature to claim everyone upvoting is not planning to buy. A number seem to be waiting for more information before deciding to commit based on what I have seen.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You already have the advantage of playing the game for some time already.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

It’s possible that there is also a bit of shady shenanigans being done by anet regarding the core game free with expansion:

It’s called sales figures.

Would be easy to say regardless of how many new players buy it, that the HoT expansion increased sales of the core game. Regardless of wether they purchased bundle could use the core game or not.

Anet will probably also release a statement saying that sales of the core game increased with the release of the expansion.

A very tangled web, we may all be caught in….

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

what the kitten is wrong with people this days?
the expansion price is good and fair .
simple as that.

Except it isn’t from what we know of so far.

We’re seeing some content updates that fall on the scale of free mods for skyrim by a few guys with their free time, not paid employees of a AAA studio with an astronomical budget.

I didn’t plan on getting HoT unless it wowed me. So far, I’m seeing QoL updates and some system changes that had to be done to keep the game afloat, with not much more content than a year’s worth of LS (which has been put off in anticipation for this expansion).

$50/$60 is the cost of a brand new AAA title. That is the standard in a multi-billion dollar industry. Maybe if this expansion had that level of content in it, the price would be justified, but for what I’m seeing, I’d maybe pay $10 because not much has honestly been developed.

I imagine they’re going to create another package for upgrading, but the responses from ANet have been poor. I sincerely do hope very few people pre-purchased because tey have no idea how little content we’re likely in store for from HoT.