Don't qq about solo, get better

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

I see so many forums posts about people QQ’ing and whining that they can’t solo? What exactly can’t they solo? I’ve had zero problems solo’ing anything other than a few champ skill points. And even then u dont have to party up and there’s usually other people around helping. No one should expect to solo legendary monsters in group events. Which are optional encounters.

Maybe people just need to get better. Its more challenging but its not impossible or even that difficult. If anything if it was to easy and people just blew through the game people would whine about it being to easy instead and boring.

Anet said, “be prepared to change specs, use weapons and utilities you don’t normally use” etc. Sorry you can’t just zerg mindlessly through it with a greatsword 24/7 anymore and might actually have to use a range weapon or toughness for once.

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

If you can’t solo, try something different

I see so many forum posts about people not being able to solo the content? What exactly can’t they solo? I’ve had zero problems solo’ing anything other than a few champ skill points. And even then you don’t have to party up and there’s usually other people around helping. No one should expect to solo legendary monsters in group events. Which are optional encounters.
Maybe people just need to try different builds and tactics. Its more challenging but it’s not impossible or even that difficult. If anything if it was to easy and people just blew through the game people would complain about it being to easy instead and boring.
Anet said, “be prepared to change specs, use weapons and utilities you don’t normally use” etc. So running zerker gear and running into fights without looking won’t work anymore, try equiping a ranged weapon on your secondary set and changing some gear for extra toughness and vitality and you should find it much easier.

See how easy it is to make your exact point without insulting people? Play nice.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Chrono.6928

Just a tic for tac reply to the troll. Also saying “get better” isn’t necessary an insult. Could be a challenge to rise up to the occasion and an opportunity for personal growth.

Posted by: Snowblind.2491

Snowblind.2491

So what happens next week or next month or next year, when there’s no one around to group with for the unsoloable champ-level mobs guarding the skill points?

Mr. Chrono, can I put you on my friends list, so I can call on you to come help me with those? I’m sure you’ll be glad to drop whatever you’re doing at the time, right?

Posted by: Archy.1046

Archy.1046

Just let the low skill whiners rage quit. After a week or two they will be gone.

Quality > Quantity.

Let’s just hope Anet won’t be nerfing everyting just because of some cry babies.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Just a tic for tac reply to the troll. Also saying “get better” isn’t necessary an insult. Could be a challenge to rise up to the occasion and an opportunity for personal growth.

But a better response would be asking what the person who was having trouble had for their build. Then when they reply, saying: have you tried X?

Without the auditory clues, “get better” could be an insult or not.

As for me, I can’t solo the champs in Orr because I can’t seem to figure out how to move and hit my skills smoothly. I can do one or the other, but not both. Verdant Brink the regular mobs get me! But I know it’s a combination of the newness, the difficulty of the mobs, and my bad skills than just the difficulty of the mobs themselves. Playing on my squishy Tempest with only the skills one can earn from 100% Central Tyria mapping invested in the trait line is also contributing. I don’t have the health to cover the mistakes.

Chrono.6928

So what happens next week or next month or next year, when there’s no one around to group with for the unsoloable champ-level mobs guarding the skill points?

Mr. Chrono, can I put you on my friends list, so I can call on you to come help me with those? I’m sure you’ll be glad to drop whatever you’re doing at the time, right?

Actually sure, I still help new players in queensdale till this day. Just enjoy teaching and helping.

What happens indeed, such a great hypothetical question. Oh wait this exact same scenario has happened before… and anet took care of it. They released the megaservers so people wouldn’t be on a dead map alone. AND they made lots of the champs veterans so it could be more solo friendly. Why thank you history for answering this hypothetical question. The answer you need is already in existence.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I dunno man. It seems like most of the not-solo complaints pertain to the hero points debacle, but if it’s other stuff, then I dunno.

I’m a pretty good at video games and pretty good at GW2. I die a lot in open world in the new zones, but mostly when I try to do events solo or I rambo every mob in the game at a group event because it’s fun on the rare occasions that it actually goes in my favor. If it’s just taking down a mob or three, it’s not that big of a deal. A lot of these new mobs, it’s a matter of bursting them down before they burst you down. That’s why it gets so hard for me when the number of mobs goes up. They are so bursty and I don’t have enough burst of my own to spare. SW and Dry Top was the same way though. Lot of burst.

I imagine tanky approaches work well too. You just outlive their burst and then whittle them down.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Drivrius.6159

Drivrius.6159

Just let the low skill whiners rage quit. After a week or two they will be gone.

Quality > Quantity.

Let’s just hope Anet won’t be nerfing everyting just because of some cry babies.

3.9 Metacritc reviews, they’ll nerf it because of a majority of, as you call them, “cry babies”.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Quality > Quantity.

3.9 Metacritc reviews, they’ll nerf it because of a majority of, as you call them, “cry babies”.

24 people gave HoT a negative score on Metacritic. Suprisingly few for a game with such a large playerbase I must say.

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

Quality > Quantity.

That strat worked great for Wildstar, now there’s a small gaggle of elitists with no one to play with. It’s ok to be better than someone but when you use it as a weapon you become a bully.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

AND they made lots of the champs veterans so it could be more solo friendly. Why thank you history for answering this hypothetical question. The answer you need is already in existence.

So… you’re saying that this has happened before, ANet knows of the problem and how to fix it, and yet they went right ahead and repeated the same mistake?

And then you’re surprised that lots of people are yelling “Fix it!”?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: LazySummer.2568

LazySummer.2568

wew OP must have every single set of ascended gears all ready to go sitting in the backpacks of every single one of his characters, all of different classes, just so whenever he comes across a champion or event, he can stop to figure out what’s the most optimal build/class to solo the fun, challenging content!

Posted by: Leticron.7945

Leticron.7945

I like most of the content, and wouldn’t call it unfairly difficult, though content is more troublesome for some classes then for others, but kitten i hate those frogs.

Chrono.6928

AND they made lots of the champs veterans so it could be more solo friendly. Why thank you history for answering this hypothetical question. The answer you need is already in existence.

So… you’re saying that this has happened before, ANet knows of the problem and how to fix it, and yet they went right ahead and repeated the same mistake?

The “problem” was when the maps were empty. They aren’t now, so its not a mistake currently. If the champs were all vets with tons of people in the map (doing said champ) everyone would just 1 shot everything.

So not problem or mistake, working as intended. IF one day the maps are empty and your hypothetical scenario happens where its impossible then I’m sure they will make them vets again but even then with mega servers I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

The “problem” was when the maps were empty. They aren’t now, so its not a mistake currently. If the champs were all vets with tons of people in the map (doing said champ) everyone would just 1 shot everything.

So not problem or mistake, working as intended. IF one day the maps are empty and your hypothetical scenario happens where its impossible then I’m sure they will make them vets again but even then with mega servers I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Clearly you weren’t on last night. When I went there, Verdant Brink had a total of around 3 people doing the main event chain. If you’re online at the highest density hours, maybe they’re not.

They need scaling like the events do to keep it challenging for all group sizes, to put it around on par with the level of a group of two, so that it’s possible solo for every class, and not a complete walkover with 3+

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Quality > Quantity.

And who pays for the cake?

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

The “problem” was when the maps were empty.

Uh, the maps were empty because Anet was unable to draw new customers to the game.

Megaservers were an admission of failure —not something for Anet to be proud of. Had the game been properly managed, they would have had to ADD servers, not effectively reduce them….

So, when we see drastic changes to HoT, it will be because the game is failing to retain and/or draw new customers.

It really is as simple as that.

When the HoT maps are empty, the game has failed – no matter what spin is put forth.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

Fan-boi detector asploded.

no, just a competent player.

while you can’t really solo an entire outpost chain (or at least i can’t) most individual events are easily soloable. so are some champs (if you build in some xtra sustain/active defense over normal zerk dungeon builds).

Call me a “fan-boi”, but i finally got the open world pve i wanted.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

The “problem” was when the maps were empty.

Uh, the maps were empty because Anet was unable to draw new customers to the game.

Megaservers were an admission of failure —not something for Anet to be proud of. Had the game been properly managed, they would have had to ADD servers, not effectively reduce them….

So, when we see drastic changes to HoT, it will be because the game is failing to retain and/or draw new customers.

It really is as simple as that.

When the HoT maps are empty, the game has failed – no matter what spin is put forth.

agree…but i’d wait a few weeks. halloween events + tyrian masteries/new legendaries might play a role.

still, if they “fail” for creating a better product….i’ll enjoy it until it shuts down….because the new content is vastly superior to anything in the base game.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I see so many forums posts about people QQ’ing and whining that they can’t solo? What exactly can’t they solo? I’ve had zero problems solo’ing anything other than a few champ skill points. And even then u dont have to party up and there’s usually other people around helping. No one should expect to solo legendary monsters in group events. Which are optional encounters.

Maybe people just need to get better. Its more challenging but its not impossible or even that difficult. If anything if it was to easy and people just blew through the game people would whine about it being to easy instead and boring.

Anet said, “be prepared to change specs, use weapons and utilities you don’t normally use” etc. Sorry you can’t just zerg mindlessly through it with a greatsword 24/7 anymore and might actually have to use a range weapon or toughness for once.

Thank you for posting this.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Don’t qq about people qqing, play your own game.

If people are complaining then they are not enjoying themselves, and something needs fixing. It may not bother you, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t bother them. One of the first steps of growing up is being able to understand that people who are not you might think differently than you, and that this is ok. Get better.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Nixxez.8671

Nixxez.8671

OP,

your opinion is irrelevant and frankly a bit offensive. It is a logical falacy. It doesn’t matter if I get better when better getting half of hero challenges in VB depends on other people, not on myself? I can get better but I will still be dependant on others, no matter how good I am. Solo I am nothing regardless since Anet prevented me from soloing champs.
Difference between solo and group play, you know. Solo is dead. That is why people whine.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Not everyone is able to get “better”. I’m outside of Open PvE voluntary tagteam play only a solo player. Yet I’m quite unskilled. I have sometimes a hard time to see the dangerous attacks or to time the dodge correctly (that part is correctable, yes). Sometimes when I dodge using the arrow buttons so that I can control if it’s forward or backward dodge, it simply won’t register. And while not a disability I have a general problem with processing information in time, i. e. I see the “danger”, but it takes a few seconds until I react to it. It’s not grave as to endanger others while driving, for example, but for gaming it may be important. And I get easily lost in big events and multiple animations and people flying through the screen. Heck, I know I’m a “bad” player so I don’t do dungeons and stuff to begin with. There are even some SP challenges in old Tyria I struggled alone, but that’s mostly in late zones.

And not everyone plays games or MMOs for a challenge (in whatever form it is implemented). I know most skilled players do and that’s great for them. But for other players it may get tiresome to read that “argument” over and over and over. If that is Anet’s envisioned way, no deal. I can accept that and have no problem to quit, when I’ve reached what I could achieve, without making a “fuss” or complaining big on the forums.

(edited by Mahou.3924)

Posted by: Aytheist.9476

Aytheist.9476

GW2 playability has been fundamentally altered with HoT – there is no arguing that fact. To suggest the issue is that casual players “Get Better” is bullkitten. They changed the game, didn’t tell us, and took our money.

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

GW2 playability has been fundamentally altered with HoT – there is no arguing that fact. To suggest the issue is that casual players “Get Better” is bullkitten. They changed the game, didn’t tell us, and took our money.

No, they told us. You may not agree with it, but many of us watching the updates knew the changes that were coming our way.

That being said, using one’s own skill level to cry about people crying is rather silly.

Posted by: JayAction.9056

JayAction.9056

The champs in this game are actually pretty easy to solo if you are running a build that is more suited for fighting an actual person, RATHER than an a trash mob npc.

It’s actually quite fun too. Taking on a champ 1v1 reminds me of old school boss fights on a few rpg titles.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Some champs are easier to kill at melee, some at range, some with cleanse, some with stab.

Buy cheap exo weapon to switch them accordingly, adapt your skillbar.

Or play with friends It’s fun too !

Posted by: eUnD.3156

eUnD.3156

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago in the last beta, the forum was full of people who said, the beta was waaaay too easy, and everyone wants the old difficulty back. Now it is here, and it is waaaay too hard for everyone. What do you guys expect Anet to do? It’s just that someone who has something to complain is more probably seen in the forums to say what he disslikes, than anyone who actually enjoys the game is rather less probably seen in the forums to say what he enjoys,

… because he is in the actuall game playing it.
It’s always just a fraction of people, no matter how much % if the forum is full of new threads. I hope Anet may change something with the Hero challange champs (who the hell actually cares?) but leaves everything else just like it is.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

No, they told us. You may not agree with it, but many of us watching the updates knew the changes that were coming our way.

That being said, using one’s own skill level to cry about people crying is rather silly.

When did they tell us that our Elites could only be unlocked by grouping with others? When did they tell us that event scaling for bog-standard events would be ridiculous- three knockdown-happy vets and an elite + a handful of regular mobs simultaneously spawning for two players on a (very short) timer?

I’ve been mostly fine on the maps themselves, and have even been able to handle challenges above my paygrade. But Anet was far from transparent regarding not only access to content, but also how demanding the content would be to players who don’t play GW2 for a Dark Souls-esque challenge or open-world events that play more like raids than anything in the pre-existing levels.

I think a lot of people who are so desperate to invalidate the feelings of those who aren’t happy with how HoT turned are completely missing the larger message. This discontent isn’t just one thing that we can pinpoint and fix ourselves. It’s more than just the new mechanics, or the mob density, or the grind, or the wonky map, or the fact that it can be incredibly difficult to find other people to be successful enough to actually make progress. It’s a slurry of all of those things, depending on taste, and a few intangibles as well.

I mean, congratulations to everyone who thinks everything is awesome (well, those who aren’t being snide jackholes). Chances are you’re going to get a lot more specific-to-your-preferences cool things down the road, because that’s the direction Anet seems to be heading.

(edited by Batelle.1680)

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

When did they tell us that our Elites could only be unlocked by grouping with others? When did they tell us that event scaling for bog-standard events would be ridiculous- three knockdown-happy vets and an elite + a handful of regular mobs simultaneously spawning for two players on a (very short) timer?

I’ve been mostly fine on the maps themselves, and have even been able to handle challenges above my paygrade. But Anet was far from transparent regarding not only access to content, but also how demanding the content would be to players who don’t play GW2 for a Dark Souls-esque challenge or open-world events that play more like raids than anything in the pre-existing levels.

I think a lot of people who are so desperate to invalidate the feelings of those who aren’t happy with how HoT turned are completely missing the larger message. This discontent isn’t just one thing that we can pinpoint and fix ourselves. It’s more than just the new mechanics, or the mob density, or the grind, or the wonky map, or the fact that it can be incredibly difficult to find other people to be successful enough to actually make progress. It’s a slurry of all of those things, depending on taste, and a few intangibles as well.

I mean, congratulations to everyone who thinks everything is awesome (well, those who aren’t being snide jackholes). Chances are you’re going to get a lot more specific-to-your-preferences cool things down the road, because that’s the direction Anet seems to be heading.

Attachments:

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

Just NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO!
They touted every chance they got that HoT would have challenging open world content! People played the beta. There are videos of it. People wrote articles about that stuff.
If you cannot inform yourself about a purchase you make you don’t get to go on the forums and act all surprised. That’s just morally wrong and disingenuous:
Here is an interview with Colin where he states how they focused on making HoT engaging and challenging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5YW4YqizY&feature=youtu.be&t=5m50s
They announced this ahead of time!
Secondly:
They did not take your money. You gave it to them willingly. They publically announced what the game would be about and you didn’t listen and now you complain because you imagined they’d create some faceroll farmfest for you.
Your attitude is so backwards it’s hard to comprehend.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

I don’t care if I can or can’t solo it, what I care about is the fact that I personally find it more frustrating than fun. That combined with the massive mastery grind makes me feels like I’ve wasted my money. If I was playing alone, I would have tried for a refund.

I spent about $60 and got the whole base game to play with. 1, 500 hours of content. I’ve played the expansion for about 3 days and I would already have pretty much everything if a lot of it was not locked behind an experience bar… Barely any real content here.

To me, the only things I actually got was 1 class, elites, 4 new zones, and a massive grind. Considering how much I got for my purchase of GW2, at a similar price, its a joke.

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

I don’t care if I can or can’t solo it, what I care about is the fact that I personally find it more frustrating than fun. That combined with the massive mastery grind makes me feels like I’ve wasted my money. If I was playing alone, I would have tried for a refund.

I spent about $60 and got the whole base game to play with. 1, 500 hours of content. I have played the expansion for 3 days and I would already have everything if not for the fact a lot of it is hidden behind an experience bar.

What mastery grind are you talking about!?
Most of the hero points are available after you get the basic movement masteries. They can be unlocked in a matter of a few hours.
If you are to lazy to find the easy hero points yourself, use a guide.
There are guides on the first 2 areas on dulfy right now:
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-verdant-brinks-hero-points-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/26/gw2-auric-basin-hero-points-guide/

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

I spent about $60 and got the whole base game to play with. 1, 500 hours of content. I have played the expansion for 3 days and I would already have everything if not for the fact a lot of it is hidden behind an experience bar.

What mastery grind are you talking about!?
Most of the hero points are available after you get the basic movement masteries. They can be unlocked in a matter of a few hours.
If you are to lazy to find the easy hero points yourself, use a guide.
There are guides on the first 2 areas on dulfy right now:
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-verdant-brinks-hero-points-guide/
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/26/gw2-auric-basin-hero-points-guide/

I know where they are, thank you. I’m talking about random nonsense like “Oh you found this hero point? I hope you grinded out Itzel Poison Lore to get it.” Mmm, oh yes, I like my exploration full of experience roadblocks, thats what makes exploration fun.

(edited by Atharian.7092)