Dragon hunter traps are absurd.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JOKe.3597

JOKe.3597

for PVE they do so BIG damage that basically other classes do zero damage. They put the trap on a champion or veteran and his health is gone. At the same times I have to hit it and hit it and nothing

for PVP they hit so hard.. and hit multiple times ? what is this trap that can hit me 2 times 5k each time ? absurd… since they can also be put on points with 24 seconds cd ?

Make the traps hit only ones.
Make the traps stay open for less time.
Make the traps damage 25% less.
Make the traps cd 40-45sec.

Currently several times with 2200 Toughness and 18k health I am insta killed by DH.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

And here we had to suffer through months of people declaring traps are useless. That people could avoid every last one of them by watching the animation when they are set.

These tears are sweet indeed.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

JOKe.3597

Nike thats why I said they should stay open less time.. to be able to see when they are set.

Currently it is possible to set a trap when stay on a point alone.. and when someone approaches he don’t know there is a trap (that hits multiple times for 5k each hit)

Don’t get me wrong I do play daredevil as my main and I do have 3 dodges + at least 3 more so I don’t really care I can just run off and ignore.. however all other classes are dead

JOKe.3597

I am not saying all 4 should be changed.. and make traps useless but maybe at least 2 out of 4

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

It’s nice that traps become so powerful once given to another class. My goodness where were these ideas for that other class they ignored…

Posted by: Atistheso.4657

Atistheso.4657

Can you give the details of your damage log. Having played a DH for a little, there is definitely no trap that hit a player for 2*5k.
Also keep in mind that while traps are a decent dps option for guardians, going this path make them take a huge sustain sacrifice. Guardians have a ridiculously low hp pool (the same as thieves) and their way of staying alive is through healing. And there is no healing trait for traps like there is for meditations or shouts. There is also no condition removal from traps (directly or indirectly). So sure a trapper DH will hurt you but its a suicidal build and I’m sure the people who kill you also get killed a lot.

The second thing is that traps can only be laid at your feet. There is no option to throw them and DH have limited mobility like core guardians. Of course if the DH lays 5 traps at his feet and you run into them, of course it’s gonna hurt but you need to adapt and not instantly jump on them and take full trap damage.

All this to say that dps are only one of many aspect of the game and that all aspects need to be considered together. That said, on my dragonhunter I would be fine with some damage reduction on traps in exchange for some condi clear/stun break/healing. You gotta remember that a DH playing full traps is a DH playing naked.

JOKe.3597

Artistheso dont have the combat log currently but I will take one tonight :+) it happens all the time if I do not pay attention or if I play with my berserker.

In short what happens is that the Test of Faith hits 2 times, not sure can it hit more ? for 5k damage.

What is happening is this Guardian is staying on a point with Test of Faith already in place. You are warrior which in 90% of cases means you dont have a bow. So you run in.. it will hit you for 5k and it may hit you for 5k again also the true shot hit me once yesterday for 8k whaaat not kidding .. but my main issue is that Test of Faith hits more then ones.. I am ok to HIT when triggered.. or to HIT with condition damage.. but instead it HITS multiple times with a direct damage.

Anyway in the other 10% you have a bow right.. or riffle so you can make some presure till someone else come (and dies) or you know just for fun .. from range.. well the Guardian bow is out damaging me always .. so there is no way to stay away and I KNOW there is a TRAP over there but since this TRAP will never go off .. as it looks I has to go .. dodge with the GS 3 as fast as I can so I get only one hit.. then WAIT for a longg time till the TRAP runs out because if I go again.. I will be hit again.. at the whole time the guardian is just staying and using his scepter or bow or whatever.

Because of that I had to change to thief and as you already said .. get the DK naked.

But this is not an option for everyone I do not believe the game should be balanced 1v1 I do not believe this is possible however to have a build which can basically kill all other 7 specs easy is not a good thing. We played as a team and it turns out only necros ware fine against such a DH .. and daredevil but with superior daredevil runes and etc.. so I am a bit more tanky then normal daredevil.

Atistheso.4657

A trapper DH will also melt against any condition build… There is always gonna be some builds that hard counter some others.

As for fragment of faith there was a nerf in the last patch to add a 0.75s cooldown on the crossing damage. So basically if you trigger the trap and dodge out instantly you’re only gonna be hit once.

JOKe.3597

Atistheso.4657 since it is a trap I dont understand why it hits multiple times.. ok you step on it.. you ware hit .. why you ware hit again after that ? It is like Pulmonary Impact but on traps ? whaat very very strange.. I think some junior designer was involved.

Didnt knew the think about the 0.75s cd… so if they at least make it to stay open for less time so If it hits me I can go out and wait 1.5 seconds till it is off without die will be a good part.

Condition cannot tell.. no one of my friends place condition for spvp so dont know.. .only the bunker warrior but .. yeah.. he cannot kill even ranger.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

As someone who has run into a barb-wire fence at speed (it was dark) let me assure you that most traps of that nature will NOT be giving you a 3/4 of a second grace period to cross the boundary again without taking damage .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

JOKe.3597

Just read the Test of Faith wiki https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Test_of_Faith it says 965 damage and pass threw damage 1462.. I do not know how it takes 5000 every 0.75 sec.

Anyway I hope it is a bug

Atistheso.4657

you don’t take full damage every 0.75s. You take damage when you cross the boundary, either getting in or getting out. Let’s say you jump in the trap to contest a cap but then stay inside the circle to fight during the duration of the trap, then you will only take damage once – when you got in.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Nike thats why I said they should stay open less time.. to be able to see when they are set.

That would completely neuter the spec outside absolute terribads..

Attachments:

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Atistheso.4657

Also as a warrior, why not using endure pain when you know you need to trigger traps to engage a Dragon Hunter ? If the DH wasted all his traps at once then he should be easy to kill.

JOKe.3597

Atistheso.4657 well the think is you cannot be sure about the traps because you havent seen them putting them.. so.. you may not risk to use the endure pain right away.. and if you step .. -5k .. even if you do endure pain after that it turns out the guardian have time to place another trap later but I do not have new endure pain

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

I tried them out a bit but didn’t really like how fragile i was – at least on my ranger trapper i have oodles of stealth to hide in.

Did really enjoy medi-DH tho, that kitten was fun, played gs/ sc&focus so long i couldn’t be botherd with it very often but throw in a longbow and you got some interesting new moves to try out.

JOKe.3597

DH also have some way to become invisible .. at least some guy yesterday was becoming invisible here and there.

Atistheso.4657

you can get stealth using trapper runes on a trapper guardian. 3s of stealth when laying a trap. but it doesn’t work so well as you are revealed every time someone walk into one of the traps.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I actually died to my first DH trap-ball. I tried to use roll for initiative to escape the cluster, and even though it broke stun, the elite trap pulled me back in. I lol’ed and died. Following, I went and kill him with my pistols and never set foot on the traps. Then I spawn camped him and killed him about 3 times out of spawn. (Same weakness as turret engies) Once that was done, the enemy team lost their rythme, and sent someone back. After a big struggle our team came back from a 100 point deficit (200 vs 300) and won the match. Poor DH was obviously agitated by me sniping him down over and over, he didn’t seem to be able to play effectively after that.

Overall, I think there is plenty of counterplay to traps on DH. Strong in some situations, but those few situations are not worth the cost in pvp. I was fine with turret engies back in the day though, so maybe that’s just me.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

DH also have some way to become invisible .. at least some guy yesterday was becoming invisible here and there.

never heard of trapper runes ? you get stealth when you place a trap.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Trapper

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

for PVE they do so BIG damage that basically other classes do zero damage. They put the trap on a champion or veteran and his health is gone. At the same times I have to hit it and hit it and nothing

for PVP they hit so hard.. and hit multiple times ? what is this trap that can hit me 2 times 5k each time ? absurd… since they can also be put on points with 24 seconds cd ?

Currently several times with 2200 Toughness and 18k health I am insta killed by DH.

You live up to your name. It’s easy enough to see the animation gesture when they lay trap. It’s even easier to notice if they try to lure you to move through a certain area, especially when they stop and wait for you to come to melee range. Couldn’t be more obvious that something right there will explode under your feet. To not to notice those cues, maybe that’s a well-deserved ownage.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

(edited by quaniesan.8497)

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

I will make you a deal, they can nerf the damage on Traps, IF they make them instant cast and ground targetable.

JOKe.3597

quaniesan.8497 the trap stays too much time so you cannot see the animation when they lay it because it is already lay off.. Thats what I was saying to make them stay less is a solution.

Also if they stay on point… I had to go on that point and try to push them otherwise we are loosing and there is no point of waving around

Ah runes of the trapper was thinking they have some new skill like a specific shot or something

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

You hit veteran and hit and nothing? Maybe problem is with you then.

You no dodge bro? Than you die in pvp.
Traps in pve? which trap do BIG dmg? Theres only one doing multiple dmg and thats it. Most of traps are only support in pve.

Make DH and try it before judging enything else.

JOKe.3597

Ragnarox.9601 Test of Faith is the trap .

Ragnarox.9601

You dont know fundamentals of this game, you are terribad and need to learn some thing before complaining.

JOKe.3597

I was not complaining about invisibility !
I am complaining that they can do 15 k in less then 2 seconds. And this class is called “GUARDIAN” is it an ASSASSIN ?
I said that this 15 k are generated by 2 hits of 5k from Test of Faith + some other damage I believe from Procession of Blades.

In anyway one should make max of 2k damage and not 5k..

Ragnarox.9601

I was not complaining about invisibility !
I am complaining that they can do 15 k in less then 2 seconds. And this class is called “GUARDIAN” is it an ASSASSIN ?
I said that this 15 k are generated by 2 hits of 5k from Test of Faith + some other damage I believe from Procession of Blades.

In anyway one should make max of 2k damage and not 5k..

Its your fault that you run into burst and you should be punished by it. Its like running in necros veils or rangers traps. You should train much more and in 2 years you might be good with your thief.

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

stop running in and out of the test of faith trap and you will only get hit once.

And i have noticed in various threads that whenever someone QQs about a class’s damage ability, strangely enough the damage numbers are always multiplied by several factors with no screenshot/log proofs.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "