Dragon's Stand Empty Maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

“Yes, I am the blockhead as you continue to repeat the same thing over and over again without addressing any criticisms about how it’s not a 100% success rate.”

100% success rate for me. I’ve never failed a DS. I’ve completed the meta about 100 times. I have never NOT gotten into the instance I was grouped up with.

“One, when the map resets, all players get booted and then sent to random instances, even if they are in the same squad. If player volume is high enough, the squad can then pick a map instance and begin taxing into it, only to realize after the fact that it doesn’t have enough space, therefore preventing a percentage of the players from joining. At that point, unless the entire squad is willing to jump map instances, the people who couldn’t get in are SoL and will have to find a new map instance, just like they would have if they have never showed up 15 minutes early.”

So let’s take the DS meta I just completed while arguing with you. We had about 50 people in a squad. The Map was full after the first WP was achieved. I’m sorry, if you can’t right click your squad leader in 10 minutes there’s something wrong with you.

“Two, even if people use this approach to get into a map at the start, it does nothing to address the issues of disconnects and losing all your participation.”

Disconnecting is a personal issue. I don’t know what to tell you champ.

“Now, you may have been fortune to have never experienced these events, but I have and therefore, based on my testimony, your system is not 100% successful.”

It has been 100% successful for me. I am sharing my advice on this thread. What don’t you understand. yeash.

“It’s good advice to deal with the current system, but saying the current system is fine and we don’t need improved tools is just silly at best.”

Which is why I’m here. I don’t need you insulting me. That’s the only reason I am still freaking replying to you. I don’t care about your system. Would it help for late arrivals/people who DC? Maybe if they are extremely lucky trying to join with the other 1000+ people clicking the join instance button. You have no insight on this and I do not either. Why are you trying to argue about something that

A: I do not care about

B: We have no insight on

For all you know they did think of something like this and it didn’t work.

Like I said, you insult me and complain about something without offering any advice. Tell me, who has more worth on this thread before our 25 posts of back and forth nonsense?

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Avarice.2791

This is kind of fun. I’m enjoying watching you write stuff out in large caps.

You are an absolute moron. You complain and cry. You have no place on this thread. You are what is wrong with game forums.

Your advice is equally unrelated since the OP’s question was looking to see if people had similar experiences, not asking for advice to fix this.

The OP literally said “Every time but once when I go to Dragon’s Stand in hopes of doing the Meta and explore for HPs all I find is a few other people on the map hoping for the exact thing.”

So why not reply with how to fix that? Why are you here again? To insult me for offering help?

Also, why should I go play another meta? What does me logging on late have to do with anything or even relevant to this discussion? Are you so oblvious to how computers work that you are unaware that disconnects can be caused by issues with the game server itself and not my personal network?

That’s why I don’t disconnect? It is extremely rare to disconnect due to the game server and if that happens it’s not just effecting you. Please tell me more about how I am oblivious to Computers when I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science. You’re probably an English major… if you even went to school.

Further more, why would any of this matter if we had a tool that allowed us to easily join or rejoin ongoing meta maps?

Because, the maps would be full……..

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

100% success rate for me. I’ve never failed a DS. I’ve completed the meta about 50 times. I have never NOT gotten into the instance I was grouped up with.

Thank you for acknowledging the fact that it’s not a 100% success overall and there is still glaring problems with your workaround. Which is what it is and the best that we have until we are provided tools.

So let’s take the DS meta I just completed while arguing with you. We had about 50 people in a squad. The Map was full after the first WP was achieved. I’m sorry, if you can’t right click your squad leader in 10 minutes there’s something wrong with you.

Except that this can happen immediately after a reset, not after 10 minutes. It has on multiple accounts.

Disconnecting is a personal issue. I don’t know what to tell you champ.

Since your technical knowledge of just basic networking seems to be lacking, I can assure you that connection issues can orginate with the game server that have nothing to do with my personal network and yet, only result in me being disconnected.

But in fact, do know what to tell you. Disconnects are just part of an online game and if your game does have a way to handle and resume progress after a disconnect, it is very very flawed. Case, in point, we have no tool to handle this situation in DS which can be provided.

It has been 100% successful for me. I am sharing my advice on this thread. What don’t you understand. yeash.

I understand you perfectly. I’m glad we agree now that you workaround doesn’t always work for everyone, despite your personal luck.

Which is why I’m here. I don’t need you insulting me. That’s the only reason I am still freaking replying to you. I don’t care about your system. Would it help for late arrivals/people who DC? Maybe if they are extremely lucky trying to join with the other 1000+ people clicking the join instance button. You have no insight on this and I do not either. Why are you trying to argue about something that

While I know you lack the degree of security required to not take me simply stating that I have more knowledge of DS issues than you do as a personal insult, I did not know my ability to print words on a forum thread gave me mind control powers that force you to continue to reply me.

But as long as you continue to reply to me with these horribly flawed and stupid points that try to detract from the merit of my suggestion, I am going to reply back.

And I am having fun.

For all you know they did think of something like this and it didn’t work.

And for all I know they didn’t, which means until somebody at Anet says otherwise, I think pushing my suggestion has value, given all the pros I have demonstrated.

Like I said, you insult me and complain about something without offering any advice.

While, once again I understand that in your mind stating that I have more knowledge than you is a personal insult, I assure you it’s not and I have never once directly insulted you.

I can assure you that forums don’t require you to give advice to post on them. Given that many people have done that, I don’t feel I need to chime. Rather, I want to address and point out the real problem here which is bad tools.

Tell me, who has more worth on this thread before our 25 posts of back and forth nonsense?

If Anet reads this and implements a better tool that improves the experience of players and allows them to find and participate in DS in easier ways then the work arounds you have suggested in your advice, I would say this has 100x more worth than just submitting workaround and telling anyone who trys to pose suggestions for improvement to stop complaining and deal with it.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Avarice.2791

Thank you for acknowledging the fact that it’s not a 100% success overall and there is still glaring problems with your workaround. Which is what it is and the best that we have until we are provided tools.

Uhh… I can’t tell you what the success rate is for others. Obviously for you it is less than 100%.

Except that this can happen immediately after a reset, not after 10 minutes. It has on multiple accounts.

Proof? I’ve never once seen this…

Since your technical knowledge of just basic networking seems to be lacking, I can assure you that connection issues can orginate with the game server that have nothing to do with my personal network and yet, only result in me being disconnected.
But in fact, do know what to tell you. Disconnects are just part of an online game and if your game does have a way to handle and resume progress after a disconnect, it is very very flawed. Case, in point, we have no tool to handle this situation in DS which can be provided.

Dude that was the most technical explanation I’ve ever heard! I think I just learned more from you now than I did in my advanced networking class! Thank you so much!

I understand you perfectly. I’m glad we agree now that you workaround doesn’t always work for everyone, despite your personal luck.

Can you provide the proof to your claim when following my guidelines?

While I know you lack the degree of security required to not take me simply stating that I have more knowledge of DS issues than you do as a personal insult, I did not know my ability to print words on a forum thread gave me mind control powers that force you to continue to reply me.
But as long as you continue to reply to me with these horribly flawed and stupid points that try to detract from the merit of my suggestion, I am going to reply back.

I’m not making any points at all dood. Like literally lol

And I am having fun.

That’s weird…

And for all I know they didn’t, which means until somebody at Anet says otherwise, I think pushing my suggestion has value, given all the pros I have demonstrated.

So keep it in your thread or don’t reply to me pushing your point…? Seems like common sense… to some.

While, once again I understand that in your mind stating that I have more knowledge than you is a personal insult, I assure you it’s not and I have never once directly insulted you.
I can assure you that forums don’t require you to give advice to post on them. Given that many people have done that, I don’t feel I need to chime. Rather, I want to address and point out the real problem here which is bad tools.

I disagree, the problem is lack of knowledge on the tools that are currently available to us. I know though… tabbing out is challenging for you.

If Anet reads this and implements a better tool that improves the experience of players and allows them to find and participate in DS in easier ways then the work arounds you have suggested in your advice, I would say this has 100x more worth than just submitting workaround and telling anyone who trys to pose suggestions for improvement to stop complaining and deal with it.

If you think anet devs are going to read this thread and implement these changes based off of you… lol

Game dev’s rarely implement changes off of small threads. GW2 forum moderators read threads. I gotta ask, are you still in high school? Or just extremely ignorant.

MadRabbit.3179

You are an absolute moron. You complain and cry. You have no place on this thread. You are what is wrong with game forums.

Now, in case you were wondering, this is what an actual insult looks like. Perhaps you can print out and frame it and put it never to your monitor? You can look at it for reference anytime your feelings get hurt and you think you are being insulted to check to make sure you are.

So why not reply with how to fix that? Why are you here again? To insult me for offering help?

While, once again, I understand that you don’t understand what an insult is and believe that the entire world revolves around you, once again, for the third time, I came here to point out the real problems and provide constructive suggestions. Sadly, you tried to negate those constructive suggestions and for me to accomplish my goal, I had to point out why you are wrong.

That’s why I don’t disconnect? It is extremely rare to disconnect due to the game server and if that happens it’s not just effecting you. Please tell me more about how I am oblivious to Computers when I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science. You’re probably an English major… if you even went to school.

And while I am sure your degree helps you with your job fixing computers at best buy, as a software engineer, it’s really just more complex than “It didn’t happen to me, so it doesn’t happen to anyone.”. Disconnects are just a reality of networking and have to be planned for in the design of your software as the factors that cause them are too plentiful.

Case in point, if I designed a system that had a transaction in which it’s atomicity extended over multiple network transmissions and a client disconnecting without finishing all transmissions resulted in data loss, I can assure you telling the client to “Fix his network. Tough kitten” would get me fired from my job.

I apply that same standard to an online video game that has an event that requires continued play over the course of an hour to receive rewards, but provides no reliable way to resume that event’s progress in the event of a single disconnect.

Because, the maps would be full……..

Which you continue to treat as a static state that never changes. I contend that it’s not and the map’s populations are always in constantly in flux. The design of the tools makes finding those maps when they have openings very very hard.

MadRabbit.3179

Uhh… I can’t tell you what the success rate is for others. Obviously for you it is less than 100%.

Proof? I’ve never once seen this…

Dude that was the most technical explanation I’ve ever heard! I think I just learned more from you now than I did in my advanced networking class! Thank you so much!

Can you provide the proof to your claim when following my guidelines?

I’m not making any points at all dood. Like literally lol

And I am having fun.

That’s weird…

So keep it in your thread or don’t reply to me pushing your point…? Seems like common sense… to some.

I disagree, the problem is lack of knowledge on the tools that are currently available to us. I know though… tabbing out is challenging for you.

If you think anet devs are going to read this thread and implement these changes based off of you… lol

Game dev’s rarely implement changes off of small threads. GW2 forum moderators read threads. I gotta ask, are you still in high school? Or just extremely ignorant.

I scanned this for any kind of halfway intelligent point to respond to, but I didn’t find anything.

Avarice.2791

Now, in case you were wondering, this is what an actual insult looks like. Perhaps you can print out and frame it and put it never to your monitor? You can look at it for reference anytime your feelings get hurt and you think you are being insulted to check to make sure you are.

You deserve it. Cry more.

While, once again, I understand that you don’t understand what an insult is and believe that the entire world revolves around you, once again, for the third time, I came here to point out the real problems and provide constructive suggestions. Sadly, you tried to negate those constructive suggestions and for me to accomplish my goal, I had to point out why you are wrong.

You made this assumption based off what? lmao “real problems”

And while I am sure your degree helps you with your job fixing computers at best buy, as a software engineer, it’s really just more complex than “It didn’t happen to me, so it doesn’t happen to anyone.”. Disconnects are just a reality of networking and have to be planned for in the design of your software as the factors that cause them are too plentiful.
Case in point, if I designed a system that had a transaction in which it’s atomicity extended over multiple network transmissions and a client disconnecting without finishing all transmissions resulted in data loss, I can assure you telling the client to “Fix his network. Tough kitten” would get me fired from my job.
I apply that same standard to an online video game that has an event that requires continued play over the course of an hour to receive rewards, but provides no reliable way to resume that event’s progress in the event of a single disconnect.

As a software engineer you must know how unlikely it is to personally disconnect due to problems not relating to your network.

Which you continue to treat as a static state that never changes. I contend that it’s not and the map’s populations are always in constantly in flux. The design of the tools makes finding those maps when they have openings very very hard.

Every full map has hundreds of players trying to taxi in at once. With your system this would increase by a lot… I’m sure you’re aware of this. I don’t really care though. Seriously. I don’t.

Avarice.2791

I scanned this for any kind of halfway intelligent point to respond to, but I didn’t find anything.

I’m sorry, but you haven’t said anything halfway intelligent on this entire thread. Your entire argument is baseless. Each point you provide has no proof. Where’s the data?

I mean you’re a freaking software engineer and you can’t even figure this game out. Donno what to tell you buddy.

MadRabbit.3179

I’m sorry, but you haven’t said anything halfway intelligent on this entire thread. Your entire argument is baseless. Each point you provide has no proof. Where’s the data?

I mean you’re a freaking software engineer and you can’t even figure this game out. Donno what to tell you buddy.

Congratulations, bro. You win. You have won the argument. I assure, after reading all your comments, this victory was hard one and I feel incredibly bad right now. Trully embarrassed at the way you have completely out done me. In fact, reading over these last few pages, I am amazed I even bothered to contend with you.

I am mostly just upset at this point as your razor sharp replies will now remain here, eternally showing your superiority over me and how deficient I am as a person.

Avarice.2791

Congratulations, bro. You win. You have won the argument.

I knew I’d ware you down eventually. Want to be friends now?

Let’s be real. You know my advice is solid. I wouldn’t mind seeing your idea implemented for testing.

MadRabbit.3179

Let’s be real. You know my advice is solid. I wouldn’t mind seeing your idea implemented for testing.

We are the best of friends, I assure you. I am going to spend the rest of the night rereading this and reflecting on how just how much you have won here.

Avarice.2791

We are the best of friends, I assure you. I am going to spend the rest of the night rereading this and reflecting on how just how much you have won here.

Sore loser.

MadRabbit.3179

Sore loser.

If you only knew.

Avarice.2791

Sore loser.

If you only knew.

Little do you know, I know you more than I know me. Sleep on that.

(I just got into another DS via my advice, use it!)

(edited by Avarice.2791)

MadRabbit.3179

Sore loser.

If you only knew.

Look, bro, while I know you think are being some type of puppet master here, manipulating me into replying to you and all of that, the truth is I feel like a lot of the just awful arguments you have made have served as ways for me to bounce even better and more relevant points off of them.

On some level, engaging with someone who is just defending his hurt pride and willing to say anything just to be argumentative is usually a waste of time, I don’t think this was.
Even though we have argued over the course of two pages, within those pages, I think there is a lot of valuable information for Anet to read and consider as to why this tool badly needs a rework, particularly if they are going to continue to introduce maps like this.

But, at this point, your responses have just degraded to the point where there is nothing left for me to use to provide anything worth saying. So I am done.

I am not going to step down to the level of just calling you a stupid moron or asking if you are in high school or being deliberately obtuse in order to throw the discussion in an endless circle. I’m not going to go off topic and get into an overly technical discussion about scenarios like servers getting briefly loading and dropping transactions that cause some users to get disconnected while most don’t. I’m not here to win; I’m just here to make points as to why we need a better LFG tool for map metas.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

Avarice.2791

Sore loser.

If you only knew.

Look, bro, while I know you think are being some type of puppet master here, manipulating me into replying to you and all of that, the truth is I feel like a lot of the just awful arguments you have made have served as ways for me to bounce even better and more relevant points off of them.

On some level, engaging with someone who is just defending his hurt pride and willing to say anything just to be argumentative is usually a waste of time, I don’t think this was.
Even though we have argued over the course of two pages, within those pages, I think there is a lot of valuable information for Anet to read and consider as to why this tool badly needs a rework, particularly if they are going to continue to introduce maps like this.

But, at this point, your responses have just degraded to the point where there is nothing left for me to use to provide anything worth saying. So I am done.

I am not going to step down to the level of just calling you a stupid moron or asking if you are in high school or being deliberately obtuse in order to throw the discussion in an endless circle. I’m not going to go off topic and get into an overly technical discussion about scenarios like servers getting briefly loading and dropping transactions that cause some users to get disconnected while most don’t. I’m not here to win; I’m just here to make points as to why we need a better LFG tool for map metas.

How noble of you, you have done this community a service today. Thank you for the advice on how to better prepare yourself for the DS meta! Without that advice I had no idea how to get into a map that was actively participating! Thank you! -sarcasm-

Here I was thinking you were just complaining for the sake of complaining! Want to know what’s funny? Your pride is hurt as well, so that applies to you as well… You’re lying to yourself if you say otherwise. Don’t act like you’re higher than me. We don’t know each other. That’s not a valid way to act.

(You already stepped down to that level, bro. If you were here to make points you wouldn’t of replied to my advice. Most your posts were meant to degrade me on a topic I’m not even arguing for or against. It’s so pointless. I’m just advocating that there is a sure way to get into any meta, which is to show up on time……..

“It’s actually an incredibly difficult tool to use given what we are using it for and I probably know more about working with the DS meta in it’s current broken state then you do.”

“You are basically rationalizing away what is a crappy, clunky and flawed process of finding and participating in meta maps via using a tool not designed for the purpose of populating large maps with players, but rather joining a small group in a map instance they by random chance found themselves on. It can be worlds better than what it is and to negate that with a “Just deal with it” post is paying a disservice to every PvE player in this game.”

“I scanned this for any kind of halfway intelligent point to respond to, but I didn’t find anything.”

“While I know you lack the degree of security required to not take me simply stating that I have more knowledge of DS issues than you do as a personal insult”

“I am deeply sorry that my profane use of the word “kitten” has upset your delicate sensibility”

And while I am sure your degree helps you with your job fixing computers at best buy

No, I’m not rationalizing away what is crappy, clunky, and flawed. I’m giving advice on what has worked for me. If you were here to promote your own ideas you wouldn’t of created a pointless argument with me. The only reason you are here is to argue with me past your original post. Stop lying to yourself. When I replied to you I was simply trying to help. You didn’t need to demoralize me. Thanks again for your service to this thread. I can pull the same crap you are. All your arguments are awful, why? Because I say so. That’s all you’re doing. In reality you’re trying to introduce a system that has no testing but according to you it is guaranteed to work! I don’t even care about that, I’m not arguing for or against it, but in reality you provide content with no data to back it up. I provide advice with my own personal data to back it up. It’s really simple.

In my original reply to you, I was sincerely trying to help you. Anyways, moral of the story is you are on the same level as me. You’re not above, you’re not below.)

I have never missed a DS I showed up to before the meta began. End of Story.

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Sorry for the interruption
/Interrupt: DS maps fill very quickly as there is only a small window between the end of one map run and the start of the other. So they aren’t really empty but this is very much similar to the accessibility some have been talking about and by some I really mean me.
If you are crashing in battle, I suggest for you to turn your graphics to the minimum. I don’t have chronic crashing problems on DS so far, thankfully.
/Interrupt

gaem not made for mi
===========

Avarice.2791

/Interrupt: DS maps fill very quickly as there is only a small window between the end of one map run and the start of the other. So they aren’t really empty but this is very much similar to the accessibility some have been talking about and by some I really mean me.
If you are crashing in battle, I suggest for you to turn your graphics to the minimum. I don’t have chronic crashing problems on DS so far, thankfully.
/Interrupt

How polite

Yeah what I find is that if you show up 15 minutes prior to the maps resetting (even five minutes) you are gold. If you are able to find a group via LFG in the first few minutes of DS starting then you have a chance, but the odds go down every minute. If you want a sure fire opportunity to get into a DS meta group all you have to do is show up within this window… every two hours. The earlier the better.

The link may of gotten lost in the pointless argument so I’ll repost it to those who are curious on how to track HoT events.

http://dulfy.net/2015/11/09/gw2-hot-maps-timer-famme/

Dragon Stand is the purple bar. The light purple is the off-time (Times you are unlikely to find any open servers/or taxi’s.) If you show up prior to the dark purple part you will find a group no matter what. Just squad join with the tag prior to the map reset.

Ex. The next DS meta is at 7:30 PM (Central). Show up around 7:15-7:25 and I guarantee you will find a group. Show up any later and your odds go down.

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

/Interrupt

How polite

Yeah what I find is that if you show up 15 minutes prior to the maps resetting (even five minutes) you are gold. If you are able to find a group via LFG in the first few minutes of DS starting then you have a chance, but the odds go down every minute. If you want a sure fire opportunity to get into a DS meta group all you have to do is show up within this window… every two hours. The earlier the better.

The link may of gotten lost in the pointless argument so I’ll repost it to those who are curious on how to track HoT events.

http://dulfy.net/2015/11/09/gw2-hot-maps-timer-famme/

Dragon Stand is the purple bar. The light purple is the off-time (Times you are unlikely to find any open servers/or taxi’s.) If you show up prior to the dark purple part you will find a group no matter what. Just squad join with the tag prior to the map reset.

Ex. The next DS meta is at 7:30 PM (Central). Show up around 7:15-7:25 and I guarantee you will find a group. Show up any later and your odds go down.

Yes that works, I have tried it myself before. There’s usually a band aid for such situations but that is what it is to me, a band aid. A mad rush within fifteen minutes for a 2 hour event and you can’t choose which fifteen minutes. Maybe I went to the toilet to poop for a bit and I have to wait Another two hours because of my poop, that’s four hours gone and totals to a morning or afternoon or evening. I guess there are problems with a more flexible schedule if people are allowed to join a late map and get rewards without putting in effort. But there must be some way around this, I think there are smart people in anet for this ya

gaem not made for mi
===========

Avarice.2791

I hear you. It seems the way they planned it was to have a different meta up constantly always providing the opportunity to participate. This doesn’t help though if it’s your aim to do DS and you’re 15 minutes too late. There’s really no solution to this though unless they nerfed it into the ground. Take Teq for instance. When they buffed the fight and rewards people were sitting on that map 30-45 minutes prior to it starting. This game simply works on a timer and there’s really no way around this that I can think of.

MadRabbit.3179

How noble of you, you have done this community a service today. Thank you for the advice on how to better prepare yourself for the DS meta! Without that advice I had no idea how to get into a map that was actively participating! Thank you! -sarcasm-

Here I was thinking you were just complaining for the sake of complaining! Want to know what’s funny? Your pride is hurt as well, so that applies to you as well… You’re lying to yourself if you say otherwise. Don’t act like you’re higher than me. We don’t know each other. That’s not a valid way to act.

(You already stepped down to that level, bro. If you were here to make points you wouldn’t of replied to my advice. Most your posts were meant to degrade me on a topic I’m not even arguing for or against. It’s so pointless. I’m just advocating that there is a sure way to get into any meta, which is to show up on time……..

“It’s actually an incredibly difficult tool to use given what we are using it for and I probably know more about working with the DS meta in it’s current broken state then you do.”

“You are basically rationalizing away what is a crappy, clunky and flawed process of finding and participating in meta maps via using a tool not designed for the purpose of populating large maps with players, but rather joining a small group in a map instance they by random chance found themselves on. It can be worlds better than what it is and to negate that with a “Just deal with it” post is paying a disservice to every PvE player in this game.”

“I scanned this for any kind of halfway intelligent point to respond to, but I didn’t find anything.”

“While I know you lack the degree of security required to not take me simply stating that I have more knowledge of DS issues than you do as a personal insult”

“I am deeply sorry that my profane use of the word “kitten” has upset your delicate sensibility”

And while I am sure your degree helps you with your job fixing computers at best buy

No, I’m not rationalizing away what is crappy, clunky, and flawed. I’m giving advice on what has worked for me. If you were here to promote your own ideas you wouldn’t of created a pointless argument with me. The only reason you are here is to argue with me past your original post. Stop lying to yourself. When I replied to you I was simply trying to help. You didn’t need to demoralize me. Thanks again for your service to this thread. I can pull the same crap you are. All your arguments are awful, why? Because I say so. That’s all you’re doing. In reality you’re trying to introduce a system that has no testing but according to you it is guaranteed to work! I don’t even care about that, I’m not arguing for or against it, but in reality you provide content with no data to back it up. I provide advice with my own personal data to back it up. It’s really simple.

In my original reply to you, I was sincerely trying to help you. Anyways, moral of the story is you are on the same level as me. You’re not above, you’re not below.)

I have never missed a DS I showed up to before the meta began. End of Story.

Ignoring all your crying about how I hurt your feelings, because I didn’t respond to the advice you gave me that I didn’t ask for in a way that was pleasing to you and how you’ve spend all afternoon just following me around, venting your kittenness while engaging in a continued argument with me over a subject you don’t really care about, but yet keep responding to in order to get the last laugh on your newly found Internet nemesis who is personally out to get you….

Focusing instead on things actually relevant to why I am writing in this thread, your final argument against what I am suggesting here seems to be it’s a suggestion for something new that doesn’t exist yet and therefore, because I can’t provide concrete data that proves it will work (because, it doesn’t exist) that suggestion is invalid and thus, totally not even worth considering.

All right, don’t know what to say to that one besides I am happy you work for Best Buy and not an actual team of people trying to create things.

Pretending for a moment that the PvP Arena Menu doesn’t even exist… then if that’s your hang up, sleep well, my new friend. For a very similar idea was done and implemented in the first version of Guild Wars. The original had Districts which were different instances of the same map. They gave you a menu where you could choose what District…and then just go there….without having to show up 15 minutes early.

It seems even back then they managed to solve the dreaded and unsolvable problem of users spam clicking a button….a problem that all of us with Computer Science degrees know will bring about the devastation of the Internet.

That’s why software engineers like myself don’t dare give people buttons. We just have them show up fifteen minutes early and then just do whatever the button was going to for them, so they don’t have to click it.

It’s no wonder Guild Wars 2 didn’t implement the same concept of the District Menu. Giving users buttons they can randomly click over and over again is incredibly reckless.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

Avarice.2791

You need to stop crying on these forums man. Your first paragraph applies to you as well. I was simply showing how you aren’t all high and mighty in this discussion. You are saying things to attempt to get a response from me and it’s working because I’m not taking you’re close-minded crap. I get that you’re above everyone else but try to show some mortality occasionally.

You’re having difficulties joining the DS meta. I thought I might tell you how. Get over it, seriously. Every game forum has a guy who has something to complain about everything. If you think implementing a server pop panel where literally thousands of players are clicking join at the same time, have it at kiddo. I’m sure, as a “software engineer” you have all the testing and cost expectations ready for Anet. I hope you realize dev’s don’t read game forums like these. They’re not going to read our petty arguements and be like “omg this mad rabbit guy is onto something.” No, we are literally a nuisance on this thread, filling it up with some idiotic idea that doesn’t even relate to then OP.

You have like four threads I found complaining about some aspect of this game. I looked at your recent posts and all they are is arguing back and forth with other users. Why don’t you… Go play another game? Look at your signature. You’re an elitist prick who talks down on people while proposing ideas that won’t work for problems that don’t exist just for the sake of arguing. I feel sorry for you. From the sounds of it you’re not even that good at this game… I mean you couldn’t even figure out how to access the DS meta. I highly doubt you are a software engineer. It’s easy to talk big, but sorry… Your idea is garbage.

Want to test your idea? Go joins DS meta and party up wth a buddy. Wait 30 minutes then leave. See how many times you have to click join server before you get in. I’ve tried this a couple times when I missed the start of the meta. I’ll tell you that after half an hour or so it was no use. NOW, with your idea you’re increasing the magnitude of players clicking join by… You and I can’t say. Do you really think this is the solution? Hahahahaha… I didn’t care about you’re stupid idea but if you’re going to go down this route I’ll laugh all day., “Software engineer.”

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I wonder, does anyone actually believe that every last player can get into a good DS every time they try? There will never be anyone left on the sidelines, ever?

What if there are, say, 10 people left after all the others have filled up however many maps?

Avarice.2791

I wonder, does anyone actually believe that every last player can get into a good DS every time they try? There will never be anyone left on the sidelines, ever?

What if there are, say, 10 people left after all the others have filled up however many maps?

Those ten people will be forced to either try again later or taxi in, which is near impossible. I can tell you that if you show up on time for the meta, you will get in every single time. It’s the late comers and those who try to join midway through who are having trouble. This game is based off timed events which some don’t like, but that is simply how it is.

Manasa Devi.7958

Those ten people will be forced to either try again later or taxi in, which is near impossible. I can tell you that if you show up on time for the meta, you will get in every single time. It’s the late comers and those who try to join midway through who are having trouble. This game is based off timed events which some don’t like, but that is simply how it is.

That doesn’t make sense. If there are 10 more people than it takes to fill all maps and everyone logged on at exactly the same time, you will have 10 people who… what? How are they going to do the meta?

Avarice.2791

That doesn’t make sense. If there are 10 more people than it takes to fill all maps and everyone logged on at exactly the same time, you will have 10 people who… what? How are they going to do the meta?

Basically you can’t state it like that. What happens is around 20 minutes prior to the Meta beginning people start heading over to DS. People will group up at the first camp and usually (I’ve never experienced a group where someone doesn’t tag up) a commander will tag up and everyone will join on him. You’ll have like 50 or so people in a squad. No one here can tell you exactly how many servers this occurs on but I can speculate it’s at least a few. Then the map will reset and the squad is split up and tossed on different servers. Everyone then quickly joins up on the squad leader’s server and the meta begins. People rapidly taxi others in and the map fills within minutes.

The late comers who are not able to to make it on time will be thrown in multiple fresh map which is full of people trying to taxi onto an organized server. Rather than saying 10 people are out of luck it’s more like a couple hundred. They’re late for the meta therefore they are at a huge disadvantage if they take 15 minutes or so to try and organize a new map, which is why people usually don’t do that. This event runs on an in game clock so it’s important to be on time or better yet, early.

I think what doesn’t make sense is to you is the fact that you really can’t start an organized DS meta after the Meta has begun. The odds of success are not that great.

You might ask, well why not taxi into a DS meta that is organized and in progress? Well, in the back and forth between MadRabbit and I he is trying to advocate a solution (He thinks the Devs are going to read it lolol) to this despite the fact that what I am saying is completely unrelated to that. He is stretching the facts to promote his idea. The problem is that people who are running DS meta are really not that prone to disconnecting/randomly leaving. Throughout the entire meta you’ll only see a couple people go with multitudes of more people trying to taxi in. If you implemented a server search panel then this would only increase the multitudes of people trying to get in by quite a lot decreasing your odds of getting into an organized DS.

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Manasa Devi.7958

I just find it very hard to swallow your absolute statement that no one who arrives early will ever get lost in the shuffle. I just can’t see how that works.

Let’s consider “at the right time” to be a window of opportunity starting some x minutes before the reset and ending some y minutes after the reset. Let’s consider that a full map holds Nf players, and that the minimum number of players needed to make a map viable equals Nv.

What you’re claiming is that the total number of players arriving “at the right time” minus the number of full maps multiplied by Nf is always a greater number than Nv.

Mathematically and logically, that just doesn’t make any sense. There will be times when the numbers fall in such a way that people who arrive “at the right time” will not be able to get a viable map.

You claim you always get into a viable map. I believe you, but that’s just lucky. I find it just as likely that someone has the opposite kind of luck, and falls by the wayside quite often.

Avarice.2791

The thing is, the number of viable maps (amount of players every viable server can hold) will always exceed the number of players arriving “at the right time.” If this wasn’t the case then no one would be able to taxi in after the meta began. This variable will fluctuate depending on the amount of players willing to participate in the DS meta. What I am saying is this is the window of getting into this variable so that you are in a map that is participating. If you arrive too late then you are placed in a map that doesn’t have the luxury of time to prepare, taxi, and set up. You are pinned up against everyone else trying to get into a full server. MadRabbit is offering the idea that each server can be listed so that players can join the server they see fit, but he doesn’t understand that this isn’t a viable solution to get onto a full server while you are outside “the right time.” This is essentially a quality of life fix and doesn’t really help with the problem of players arriving outside “the right time.” I’m not sure if you’re basing your observation off my original statement or our back-and-forth.

It is a matter of timing, which is the main argument of this thread. What I am offering is a solution and source that will provide you the tools to better prepare yourself (Not you, the people who are struggling to get onto a DS meta). The people who are mad, are mad because they want to do DS, when they want to do DS… which really doesn’t make sense to me since all open world events run on a timer. It’s not a new idea. This has been around since the start.

Let’s look at this scenario (Not using realistic numbers). Let’s say there are 5 DS maps full of 50 players waiting for the reset (Meta to begin.) What essentially happens is these 250 players are spread out over more than 5 servers providing a small window to taxi in other players who are frantically making their way to DS. What I am saying, is if you arrive ahead of time you will have a 100% chance of being on a server since the server cap is much higher than the people you will see in a squad (usually.) I am saying that if you arrive late your odds are reduced as time goes by due to the fact that servers are filling quickly. You still have a chance to get in if you are late but it becomes less and less. If there was 500 people spread out over 10 servers waiting for DS to start then there would more than likely be much more than 10 servers actively participating in the DS meta. Since there is a window of time to taxi in players, this means that it should be no problem to instantly join your squad leaders server and go from there.

If I might ask, what is happening to you where you are missing out on the meta? Are you there ahead of time waiting in a squad? Timing is essential in this game and I can’t stress how much outside tools can be useful to any MMO.

Another thing I should add, obviously the odds are not 100%. Something could happen, somehow two squads could merge onto one map instantly filling, but I have never seen this happen and I doubt it happens more than a fraction of a percent of tries. If maps instantly filled then no would would be able to taxi in. Being part of a 50 man squad pre-meta gives you the advantage against those who are scanning LFG minutes after the meta began.

I’ve had a 100% success rate doing this, which is why I am here giving my advice. I offer no complaints, no negativity, but only what works for me. Thank you for being civil in this discussion.

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Manasa Devi.7958

Well, I have no interest in this other than just the math aspect because I loathe the entire thing.

It just seems very obvious to me that among the totality of all the people arriving “at the right time”, there will often be some left-overs that don’t have the numbers to make another viable map.

Let’s do some hypotheticals: (I have no clue as to the actual numbers but they don’t matter.)

Suppose there can be 100 people on a hard-capped map. Suppose you need 30 people to make a viable map. Suppose 520 people arrive on time and taxi to and fro until 5 maps are hard-capped. There will be 20 people left without a viable map.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Tried DS 2x’s today. (using a timer btw) Both times map was empty and there were no LFG taxis to a populated map. Total fail, and time for the revamp Colin implied was coming for HoT. As OP stated—empty.

Avarice.2791

@Manasa Devi

Yes, but assuming servers are divided equally by a specific cap is all speculation. What if the extra 20 are simply thrown in a occupied server? It’s all speculation to be honest. Perhaps you are right, perhaps you aren’t. From personal experience I haven’t had any issues.

@Blude

I don’t know what to tell you man. I believe you are trying. I actually ran DS three times today to grind out a mastery. Each time I went in about ten minutes before the meta. A squad leader was there with about 20-30 people. When the map reset I was brought into a new map with the majority of my squad. The rest taxied in. I find this extremely odd though. Can you try another DS tomorrow and report the EXACT time you went in here? DS meta starts every day at the (same time – I think) 1 1/2 hours apart.

If anything you can add me and we can try it together! I am more than willing to help you out.

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Blude.6812

@Manasa Devi

Yes, but assuming servers are divided equally by a specific cap is all speculation. What if the extra 20 are simply thrown in a occupied server? It’s all speculation to be honest. Perhaps you are right, perhaps you aren’t. From personal experience I haven’t had any issues.

@Blude

I don’t know what to tell you man. I believe you are trying. I actually ran DS three times today to grind out a mastery. Each time I went in about ten minutes before the meta. A squad leader was there with about 20-30 people. When the map reset I was brought into a new map with the majority of my squad. The rest taxied in. I find this extremely odd though. Can you try another DS tomorrow and report the EXACT time you went in here? DS meta starts every day at the (same time – I think) 1 1/2 hours apart.

If anything you can add me and we can try it together! I am more than willing to help you out.

I will check the timers again tomorrow. I have a few appts and might miss the events though. Thanks for your offer.
I have only finished DS once and have lots of POI, mastery and hp to get yet. I didn’t know where to go to get my tiger and electric wyvern either.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I just find it very hard to swallow your absolute statement that no one who arrives early will ever get lost in the shuffle. I just can’t see how that works.

Let’s consider “at the right time” to be a window of opportunity starting some x minutes before the reset and ending some y minutes after the reset. Let’s consider that a full map holds Nf players, and that the minimum number of players needed to make a map viable equals Nv.

What you’re claiming is that the total number of players arriving “at the right time” minus the number of full maps multiplied by Nf is always a greater number than Nv.

Mathematically and logically, that just doesn’t make any sense. There will be times when the numbers fall in such a way that people who arrive “at the right time” will not be able to get a viable map.

You claim you always get into a viable map. I believe you, but that’s just lucky. I find it just as likely that someone has the opposite kind of luck, and falls by the wayside quite often.

He can’t say that, but I can say when my guilds and I do this, and we’ve done it often, none of us have been left out of a server that at least attempts to finish the meta.

Sometimes things fall apart if people don’t know what to do, but that’s not a getting into the map issue. We’ve all gotten into the map every time we’ve tried it.

Will someone, somewhere eventually miss out. Maybe. But you know, anyone can lose internet at any time and they’d miss out too.

You can’t build games around outliers.

Manasa Devi.7958

No, but my point was, you don’t need to insist those outliers don’t exist.

Avarice.2791

@Blude
Seriously send me a request! I will be your guide!

@Vayne
I couldn’t agree more, this is the point I’m basically trying to make. If you are prepared I can guarantee you will almost ALWAYS get into a DS instance that is going for the meta.

@Manasa Devi
The thing is the amount of outliers are so tiny, it wouldn’t make sense not getting into a DS meta if people are taxi-ing in 10 minutes after…

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

How about the pittance of time we get at the end of the meta to explore and open pods? 1.5-2 hour meta event that leads to 15 minutes to gather rewards, and 2-5 minutes out of that you’re spending at the crystalline vendor and dragon chest… it sucks badly. Whoever at Anet was thinking this would be acceptable is a disgrace.

Blude.6812

At least I finally found a good map at 8:30 am , succeeded and got my tiger and electric. Then I went after pods and found that the clock ticked down and boom! the hammer came down and couldn’t grab all the pods in the tiger area.

Avarice.2791

@Wander – Anet would have two solutions to get around this… Either shorten the Meta or increase the time between the meta. A simple solution around this is to either grab all the exploration stuff as you go down a specific lane, or to join a map beforehand as you can get most the exploration stuff done without the meta being complete. I know there are like 3 HP’s, a Vista, and a POI or two that require meta completion. Once you get it all 15 minutes actually turns into plenty of time to accomplish all you need to do. I hear you though.

@Blude
Yayyyy!

Posted by: keenedge.9675

keenedge.9675

I think using the ‘taxi’ idea to solve an inherent game design flaw feels like an ‘exploit’.

MegaServer should allow more people to gather on a map, especially for the DS map.

“John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute”

Avarice.2791

Or limit the amount of servers so that servers are generally more full. I don’t really have much knowledge on how that actually works though past personal experience.

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

an easy fix for the people who want loot now and are too lazy/impatient to wait for enough people to join, or don’t want to put any effort into finding people, would be to only start the map close timer, when the event actually kicks off.

Posted by: Gravox the Terrible.2157

Gravox the Terrible.2157

This system needs a lot of work, I also always get placed in an empty map, the LFG tool always places me in a different empty map than the rest of the squad. Every. Single. Time.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

This system needs a lot of work, I also always get placed in an empty map, the LFG tool always places me in a different empty map than the rest of the squad. Every. Single. Time.

Forgive me if I’m pointing out the obvious, but have you tried right-clicking on a squad member, especially the commander, and selecting “Join in Dragon’s Stand?” The map might be full, in which case you’re out of luck, but if simply being in the wrong instance is the problem, that will solve it.

I’ve been doing a lot of Dragon’s Stand in the past week or two. There’s not always an organized map being advertised, but I’ve had reasonable success finding a group if I keep my eye on the LFG tool near the end of a cycle, to catch the next one when it opens. Good luck!

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: jsmith.6458

jsmith.6458

Still not working since expansion release. Update from April says it’s still being worked on.
Megaservers for HoT maps do now work.
I know for a fact DS maps are open and need more players.
A guild mate started a DS map and was porting people in, so there are open maps. Yet when you wp in, it’s 100% always a new empty map. Why are we not ported into maps that need more players and are not full yet?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

At least I finally found a good map at 8:30 am , succeeded and got my tiger and electric. Then I went after pods and found that the clock ticked down and boom! the hammer came down and couldn’t grab all the pods in the tiger area.

Well you don’t even need to win to get your wyvern and tiger anymore. You can get it pretty much at any time. Same with opening pods. You can open pods in those areas at any time. They’re no longer locked off by winning.

Posted by: Moderator

Please check date of thread before posting. Posting to old threads is against forum rules. This thread is now locked.