"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

Valkyrie would be my favourite choice. I also quite like Vindicator.

Honestly the way it looks makes it feel like a kind of angelic guardian. Which is why Valkyrie is my top pick. Another name of a similar theme could also work. But i honestly dont see how the spec relates to dragonhunter in any way, shape or form.

I have a hunch that they avoided names like Valkyrie because its a gear prefix. But i dont think thats a good reason personally.

Maybe they can just change Valkyrie to the specialization name and make the gear prefix Dragonhunter? :P

Though, Valkyrie is too gender-loaded to really work.

I would Ironically take Vindicator over DragonHunter.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

They should keep the name solely for the QQ.

Also your strawpoll is kinda worthless since less than 10% of the pop. ever visit the forums. So you are getting the extreme minority.

True but the minority can have mixed views. It’s not like there is a direct correlation between using the forums and hating the name Dragonhunter, lol.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Honestly, it is only in English that the name is kind of lame, and here is way for Anet to solve this with the dragon theme.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

People are going nuts over a name,really?
If you don’t like traps or the way the specialization goes,thats okay,some people really don’t like certain playstyles.

But they have a choice: Keep playing guardian and don’t change to Dragonhunter. Simple as that.

But getting salty over a name is just ridiculous.
Its not that you are playing the name,you are playing the character. Also,I don’t recall any ingame dialogue to call you by your profession/class.

The only time where you see your own class is on login,when creating a character or when you press H.

To be frank, the mere existence of the name hurts. It makes me uncomfortable, the very thought that it exist makes me want to burn thing. It is the worse crime ever committed by Arena net and they should be ashamed.

This just grinds my gear. It’s existence is a threat to my own. OR some BS l ike that.

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Why, let’s replace a generic fantasy name with something corny like Lightbow or Dragonbane! That will improve the specialization a ton for sure!

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Vindicator
Conqueror
Vanquisher
Illuminator
Purifier

Harvest.2506

Hahaha No they don’t. And most of the “helpful suggestions” people come up with are just as cliche as dragon hunter.

Sentinel
Paragon
Valkerie
Artemis (credit to Atlas3025 on reddit)
Atlas
Quincy ( Bleach)
Marshal
Signaller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signaller (also from YugiOh 5D)

I think Artemis (Rear Guard), Marshal (Military Police), or Signaller (Artillery Guidance) as names have more relevance than Dragonhunter.

Unless of course we get a baby dragon to fight with and rise, or some sort of Draconic mechnic, like in skyrim or Final Fantasy XI. This is just a bit too random.

Harvest.2506

Vindicator
Conqueror
Vanquisher
Illuminator
Purifier

Purifier would be the perfect name right now.

Posted by: Sarif.1827

Sarif.1827

Zealot, Paragon, Valkyrie, Sentinel, Avenger

They are already in-game in other formats.

Leader and Founder of the Shattered Sky Community.
Guild Leader of Covenant of the First Flame [Soul].

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Crying like children for one stupid name of specialization you won’t even see 90% of the time? Give me a break.

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

This is all just opinion. Just because you don’t like the name of something doenst make it bad. I like the name Dragonhunter. Do I have the same right to want them to keep it?

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Your going into a jungle to HUNT a DRAGON, you will most likely learn this spec from the people who already live in the jungle and fight the dragons horde on the daily. If anything its the most straightforward name so far since it is literally your job title.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

If Dragonhunter doesnt fit,what about Valkyrie?

Do you guys even know what they are? All I know about them is that they are from Norse mythology,FEMALE beings that choose who may live or die in battle and that they bring the ones who have fallen in battle to train in Valhalla.

See? I can’t see any resemblance with the Dragonhunter. Not to mention that this name is very feminine

Also,I’ve seen someone complaining about “Dragonhunter” being a bad name because there is no such profession as a “dragonhunter” because there are no dragons in real life…

Welp,sorry to burst that bubble but this isn’t real life,this is Guild Wars and the world is Tyria,not Earth. And dragons are actually a thing.

Also,Chronomancer doesnt exists because as far as I know,there are no humans that can manipulate time.

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

They could try to invent something new that both sounds cool and makes sens (the exact opposite of Dragonhunter)

Personally I prefer to avoid the dragon theme
Here are some ideas that I never saw mentioned before :

• Conciliator : maybe not the best option because he’s not supposed to be compliant with the ennemies. But sounds cool.
  • Emissary : you know angels are messengers etc… but now we know that the wings are not as important as we thought before.
  • Lucimancer, or Photomancer (since “luci” is latin, but “photo” and “mancer” both greek) : leaving the dragons apart, the main theme of this character is definitely the light !
  • Justiciar

Among those I have already seen here or somewhere else, I like :

• Sentinel/Sentry
  • Watcher/Watchman
  • Avenger/Vindicator : cool but not really appropriate ! I could totally see those for another Guardian spec.

I tried to find something around the idea of intervention, or interference but didn’t find anything satisfying.

(edited by Ojyh.9842)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I would say Zealot…. but I would really prefer to see that associated closely to a polearm magic using class over a bow user.

SmiteSeeker
Lightcaller
Lightbringer
Zen Archer

…or you could just call it what it is….
a Holy Archer

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Oh geez it would have been ABSURD to call it a Paragon.

Paragons were

A. trained in Elona
B. They’re an entire profession, specializations are just a variant of existing professions
C. Fight with actual spears not magical ones or bows
D. lore-wise it’s nonsensical. what did a Paragon and Guardian fall into a vat of chemicals and make a mutant? Come on.

The community just wanted to add extra hype but you got it wrong. Not a big deal.

(edited by TurtleofPower.5641)

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

This one’s easy, even within the theme they were going for. Seeker.

This one sounds alright. Also The Vigilant.

In my opinion, following the trend of superb and elaborate words Anet has been known to use for their things, most of which I never heard before like: Revenant, Alacrity, etc. (I admit I’m not a native English speaker, but I consider myself fluid), this particular name seems a bit off, perhaps, too simplistic. Maybe it is not that bad, but it sure sounds a bit edgy, which is a delicate issue when it comes to fantasy.

Again, just my opinion.

(edited by MakubeC.3026)

Posted by: Sarif.1827

Sarif.1827

Aside from the fact that almost no one posting on this forum or any other site actually possesses the authority to change this name, dispute massive verbal protesting by a minority, I’d like to go out on a limb here and state that I like the name.

We are getting Longbows and Traps, and it’s hard not to associate those with your typical fantasy Hunter seeing how fantasy books, PnP Tabletop and even games typical adhere to these things belonging to what are called “Hunters”.

Does Light Magic and Plate Armor typically get mixed in with Bows and Traps? No, but then again, neither does bending time and illusions. Anet is just trying to make their own mark on world with a new unique spin on the idea of the traditional Hunters… If anything, people should be supporting this!

TL;DR: I like the name, and I hope the keep it.

Leader and Founder of the Shattered Sky Community.
Guild Leader of Covenant of the First Flame [Soul].

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Paragons were

A. trained in Elona
B. They’re an entire profession, specializations are just a variant of existing professions
D. lore-wise it’s nonsensical. what did a Paragon and Guardian fall into a vat of chemicals and make a mutant? Come on.

The community just wanted to add extra hype but you got it wrong. Not a big deal.

I can definitely see a Paragon elite spec with spears and chants for the Guardian in the future.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Paragons were

A. trained in Elona

And yet we had a Thackery shift from Ranger to Paragon in EotN.

Classes who are allready using Paragon mechanics…

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Whitescout
Whitehunter
Skyhunter
Archunter
Artemis

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Hahaha No they don’t. And most of the “helpful suggestions” people come up with are just as cliche as dragon hunter.

Sentinel
Paragon
Valkerie
Artemis (credit to Atlas3025 on reddit)
Atlas
Quincy ( Bleach)
Marshal
Signaller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signaller (also from YugiOh 5D)

I think Artemis (Rear Guard), Marshal (Military Police), or Signaller (Artillery Guidance) as names have more relevance than Dragonhunter.

Unless of course we get a baby dragon to fight with and rise, or some sort of Draconic mechnic, like in skyrim or Final Fantasy XI. This is just a bit too random.

Sentinel – This one is really good
Paragon – Doesn’t do what a Paragon does. No.
Valkerie – This is exclusively female from Norse legend. No.
Artemis – This is literally a Greek god’s name. No.
Atlas – Again, another Greek, this time a Titan. No.
Quincy – Probably trademarked (although the likenesses are uncanny, I must say). No.
Marshal – Ehh, too much like a commander. Maybe.
Signaller – Isn’t exactly what this guy does, but the name is iffy too. Ehh…

Sentinel is the only one that makes significant sense here.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Ironicy none of your points alude to the name itself.

They go for hunters, but not why they are called Dragonhunters.

Any hunter form would have been nice, but the problem is, that they are calles specificly “Dragonhunters”.

It`s quite a different problem from that point.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I see my suggestion made it in (I mean, if Anet is going to be keen on making a dragon theme spec, I like the name Dragonbane more and Draconnier the most!).

Light seems to be a theme as well which people seem to have covered in names. What about Wings? Part of the profession mechanic uses wings so Lightwing, Zenwing, Arcwing, Smitewing, etc.

The spec can use a bow but that might be too specific since you can use other wepons too but combine some names with Bow, Archer, Arrow, Range….Like Farlight, again Archwing…

Then there might be other points to draw from like good, righteous, justice, etc for names. Or how about fate? That’s always a cool super-title to use like Fateseeker or something.

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

At least it’s not another instance of abusing “mancer”. Does anyone involved in fantasy even know what the word means..

It come from the greek manteía which mean divination. A mancer is a practitioner of a specific type of divination.

Exactly. So what do the Pyromancer, Hydromancer, Aeromancer, Geomancer, Necromancer and Chronomancer in GW2 have anything to do with prediciting the future?

It’s just a cheesy word that sounds cool and keeps being misused in fantasy settings.

Divination – the practice of attempting to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means.
notice the second part of the definition to DISCOVER HIDDEN KNOWLEGE by occult or SUPERNATURAL means, idiot, it doesnt just mean to predict the future, which btw is very suitable for chronomancy which is specifically about TIME and SPACE, what do magic wielders strive for? to gain as much knowledge about their magic as possible, throgh various ways, it’s perfect for fantasy game, it’s perfect to use to describe different kinds of people that pursuit knowledge for what the wielder would consider ‘’divine power’’
next time look up the word so you wouldnt sound like such an idiot lmfao

You are offensive for no reason.

“-Manteia”/“-mancy” has nothing to do with hidden knowledge, it means “prediction”.

The root is ancient Greek, it doesn’t directly translate to what your dictionary of choice has as the definition of “divination” which is a different, albeit similar, word.

Keep in mind all those practices existed in real life, people studied the ripples of bodies of water to predict the future and called it hydromancy. It’s now used only because it sounds cool, not because it accurately describes what a water Elementalist does in-game.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Paragons were

A. trained in Elona

I can definitely see a Paragon elite spec with spears and chants for the Guardian in the future.

Why is the question though. Support is hardly even a thing in GW2. And I don’t want them wasting time trying to force it into a fighting role. Yes, they could add fighting monks, rits that don’t heal, and paragons with shouts that don’t work but it’s a waste of new content, if they can’t bring it back at its full potential.

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’ll borrow one from an earlier post of mine:
Avenger

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I’ll borrow one from an earlier post of mine:
Avenger

I like that one.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

FYI, we also know the elite spec name for Elementalist: Tempest.

What are people’s thoughts and expectations with that name? And are we getting an idea what level of names we’re getting?

Posted by: IrisAtlast.3829

IrisAtlast.3829

They should keep the name solely for the QQ.

Also your strawpoll is kinda worthless since less than 10% of the pop. ever visit the forums. So you are getting the extreme minority.

Shared on a facebook with over 12K people… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dbdZlsR3Y

Harvest.2506

They could try to invent something new that both sounds cool and makes sens (the exact opposite of Dragonhunter)

Personally I prefer to avoid the dragon theme
Here are some ideas that I never saw mentioned before :

• Conciliator : maybe not the best option because he’s not supposed to be compliant with the ennemies. But sounds cool.
  • Emissary : you know angels are messengers etc… but now we know that the wings are not as important as we thought before.
  • Lucimancer, or Photomancer (since “luci” is latin, but “photo” and “mancer” both greek) : leaving the dragons apart, the main theme of this character is definitely the light !
  • Justiciar

Among those I have already seen here or somewhere else, I like :

• Sentinel/Sentry
  • Watcher/Watchman
  • Avenger/Vindicator : cool but not really appropriate ! I could totally see those for another Guardian spec.

I tried to find something around the idea of intervention, or interference but didn’t find anything satisfying.

I’m particularly fond of the light matter theme you have going with the Photon idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon .

I mean its 1328 for crying out loud we just blasted Zhaiten out of the Sky with an Asuran Spaceship, surely we can expand our knowledge of Lightwaves in reference to sub atomic particles.

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

For the record, you guys are no longer Guardians in my eyes. From now on, you are all Dragonhunters! ;p

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

Let’s try keep this straw poll thread up. Really wish to see what the majority of the community thinks.

(edited by Templar.3418)

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

We are getting Longbows and Traps, and it’s hard not to associate those with your typical fantasy Hunter seeing how fantasy books, PnP Tabletop and even games typical adhere to these things belonging to what are called “Hunters”.

That’s precisely one of the reasons why this is actually a bad name.
Longbows are not only for hunters. And hunters don’t only use longbows.
The Thief has a bow and makes traps, do you consider it as a hunter ?
Bow + traps = hunter is just an uncreative and lazy shortcut to find a name.
ArenaNet have always avoided that kind of stereotypes by adding a little more flavour to their classic classes. But now they’re doing the opposite : making something totally new by using cliches. And saddly, it makes a crazy and inconsistent result they cannot even name properly.

And where does the dragon-thing comes from ?
It is justified by nothing aside from another lazy and uncreative idea (quote from the blog article) : “dragonhunters have learned to better control their abilities in the fight against Mordremoth”
That’s exactly what every character does… Why aren’t they all Dragonhunters ? Btw this remark meets the argument that many people have set before me : Dragonhunter sounds like a tittle anybody could obtain, not a profession or a specialization.

Also keep in mind that even when specialized the character is still a Guardian, and absolutely nothing in “Dragonhunter” reminds me something of the Guardian.
If there HAD to be a Dragonhunter, the Guardian wasn’t the best option for that. Not only for the Hunter part, but also for the Dragon part.

Last thing : Dragonhunter is two condensed words. A lot of people, including me, really liked the fact that every profession name was just one word that summerizes the whole archetype.

Now I quote myself :
“And if you feel like it’s not a bad name for this spec , just do the thing in reverse and try to imagine how you would design a Dragonhunter (without being a Guardian spec). You will certainly think about something that has nothing to do with this character, aside from the heavy armor.”

(edited by Ojyh.9842)

Genesis.8572

Since ArenaNet evidently likes names that are a mouthful, how about naming it the “Squandered Potential” elite specialization?

Tarnished Coast

Genesis.8572

The name also feels very disassociated from the core concepts of the ‘guardian’ profession. Why is the ‘guardian’ even being imagined as a ‘big game hunter’ in the first place?

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

People are going nuts over a name,really?
If you don’t like traps or the way the specialization goes,thats okay,some people really don’t like certain playstyles.

But they have a choice: Keep playing guardian and don’t change to Dragonhunter. Simple as that.

But getting salty over a name is just ridiculous.
Its not that you are playing the name,you are playing the character. Also,I don’t recall any ingame dialogue to call you by your profession/class.

The only time where you see your own class is on login,when creating a character or when you press H.

To be frank, the mere existence of the name hurts. It makes me uncomfortable, the very thought that it exist makes me want to burn thing. It is the worse crime ever committed by Arena net and they should be ashamed.

This just grinds my gear. It’s existence is a threat to my own. OR some BS l ike that.

It is just a kittening name. The worst “crime” is A-Net refusing to fix/buff bad classes such as the Necromancer for 2+ years and make them finally good, instead of giving all their love to eles and warriors. Well, and maybe Engis.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Just want to throw in my two cents. I think Dragon Hunter is a great idea for a specialization because the new specializations are supposed to be skills that denizens of Tyria are just now perfecting. The idea that people would want to learn to hunt dragons seems pretty logical, and you could say that the guardians are training to prepare to guard Tyria from the dragons.

ronpierce.2760

Let’s try keep this straw poll thread up. Really wish to see what the majority of the community thinks.

I’m not sure the poll is even necessary, though it does speak pretty loudly for itself so far, the general reaction should say a lot. I’m wondering, though, if they have it in them to change it… I’d be impressed to say the least.

Only worry is that it opens a similar door for EVERY specialization to be super nit-picky. That said, I REALLY hope no one else ends up with something as generic and cliche as “Dragonhunter”…

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

It’s a fine name honestly. Anything bland such as “Paragon” has no imagination attached to it.

ronpierce.2760

It’s a fine name honestly. Anything bland such as “Paragon” has no imagination attached to it.

Personally I much prefer “bland”, symbolic and to the point over cliche, personally.

For some reason, Dragonhunter reminds me of like 13 year olds in WoW with character names of like Sephirothlol, XxDragonslayerxX, LegolasX. Stuff like that. Very cringe worthy. x.x

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Gotta be kidding me. That’s the worst part of the specialization.

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

Sentinel
Divine Archer
Divine Hunter
Conqueror

(edited by AikunFelcis.7258)

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet! That being said, I too like the name, but the name doesn’t matter nearly as much as the specialization aspects.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Anything bland such as “Paragon” has no imagination attached to it.

Because naming it “Dragonhunter” in an expansion where the main goal is to hunt down a dragon is so much more creative..

Personally I much prefer “bland”, symbolic and to the point over cliche, personally.

For some reason, Dragonhunter reminds me of like 13 year olds in WoW with character names of like Sephirothlol, XxDragonslayerxX, LegolasX. Stuff like that. Very cringe worthy. x.x

I agree. In 2 years we’ll probably get the XxPussehslayah69xX specialization too.

(edited by witcher.3197)

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I’m a Dragon Hunter, too! NOTICE ME. (/ ºuº)/ ‡ #Engi4life

This is all just opinion. Just because you don’t like the name of something doenst make it bad. I like the name Dragonhunter. Do I have the same right to want them to keep it?

Yes, you do. And thank you for not being abusive in your opposing opinion. I have to admit, I’m enjoying some of the offered names more, but that’s my personal opinion there.

I would like offer to something a little less rant-ish to the table on the side of people opposing the name. I don’t hate it by any means, and I wouldn’t say that it doesn’t fit. The problem I have is that it fits all of us. We’re all killing dragons here. It just seems odd to me to single out Guardians in that respect. It’s not horrible or game breaking…. it’s just weird to me.

edit: changed something to lowercase so people don’t read it as yelling. No angry voices here.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

(edited by DragonflyDusk.6582)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Most people will get over the stigma of a name. I mean, think of all the other dumb names in all the games you’ve played. You shrug it off. Besides, no one is going to stop calling the class the ‘Guardian’ class. If my foresight is working, if the game lasts long enough, we will have access to MANY specializations for each profession. Dragon Hunter may just be one of many for Guardian.

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Could do with Blue Dragon Hunter cause, you know, we’re blue….

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

So, what about by Thief, Elementalist and Ranger? Aren’t they Dragon Hunting?

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Well at least they haven’t named Necro specialization yet, bet they will call them something like “Swordswinger”, because hey, they get a sword they can swing with

Warrior can be Pistoldude and Elementalist can be Magicalman

9 Guardians later…